Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Wow. Finally some traction on my hosed up orders from 2016. Processed for payment!

Oh government shutdown....

I requested advanced DLA about 30 days before I transferred.

It's now a week after I checked in to the new place. I also blame shutdowns but it could be general administrative hosed up ness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

boy are my arms tired posted:

well boot camp was a thing

howdy

My brother was probably your Sami instructor, I hope your shoot gun experience was good.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Laranzu posted:

You iron any underwear? That was probably the only real skill I learned

every holiday routine

i learned how to use my peripheral vision to avoid getting in trouble and also how to sneak soda from the rdc mini fridge

PneumonicBook posted:

My brother was probably your Sami instructor, I hope your shoot gun experience was good.

my first time at a range and i almost hit expert on live fire

the samt instructors were loving amazing, easily the best part of boot camp

battle stations was kind of cool too

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Man, I just remembered the first time we heard it was time for Field Day. People were so excited.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Man, I just remembered the first time we heard it was time for Field Day. People were so excited.

my exact words were "holy poo poo we get six hours to gently caress around? hell yeah"

the tiny things i guess

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Did you have any turkey legs for dinner?

Easily the best meal from boot.

Going to San Diego? Ah well good! Nice weather mostly.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

LingcodKilla posted:

Did you have any turkey legs for dinner?

Easily the best meal from boot.

Going to San Diego? Ah well good! Nice weather mostly.

nah they swapped to turkey burgers

most repeated meal was atlantic cod or chicken cordon bleu

food was good overall

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

They issuing boots type IIIs yet or not?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

most repeated meal was atlantic cod or chicken cordon bleu

food was good overall

Hamsters are one of the high points of Navy dining. Also probably one of the most unhealthy things you can put in your body aside from literal poison, but so, so delicious.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Retirement orders in hand (in spite of BUPERS fuckery). poo poo is gettin' real.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

vulturesrow posted:

Retirement orders in hand (in spite of BUPERS fuckery). poo poo is gettin' real.

How far out did you drop papers? My current enlistment only takes me to 19 years and 8 months but I've been led to believe I can just request a retirement date past 20 and it can be approved without any additional paperwork.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Hamsters are one of the high points of Navy dining. Also probably one of the most unhealthy things you can put in your body aside from literal poison, but so, so delicious.

God I loved me some fried hamsters. Gotta figure out who the Navy buys them from so I can get a case.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Nick Soapdish posted:

They issuing boots type IIIs yet or not?

yes

couple of mega dorks in my div were calling them "minecrafters", which, ugh

orange juche posted:

God I loved me some fried hamsters. Gotta figure out who the Navy buys them from so I can get a case.

the night of b stations we got a double order of hamsters and half of us nearly hit food coma status

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

orange juche posted:

I've seen boxes of them in the freezer section at Safeway. I haven't tried them but the pictures look identical to what you get at the galley.

You really need powdered mashed potatoes and canned mixed vegetables doused in Texas Pete to complete the plate.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Once we got "chicken cordon blue" from Malaysia. It felt like the most literalist contractor thing in my life and I'm sure they made them just for us. It was a chicken hot dog, wrapped in bacon and cheese and breaded for frying. Someone absolutely read the Wikipedia article without ever seeing one and then made a case of the things.

:barf:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Man, now I want some Navy Chicken Cordon Bleu.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
well libertys over, gently caress great lakes, sunny san diego here i come

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

piL posted:

Once we got "chicken cordon blue" from Malaysia. It felt like the most literalist contractor thing in my life and I'm sure they made them just for us. It was a chicken hot dog, wrapped in bacon and cheese and breaded for frying. Someone absolutely read the Wikipedia article without ever seeing one and then made a case of the things.

:barf:

That sounds like the "corned beef" we got for St. Patrick's Day, which was ground beef with a can of corn dumped into it. The Reagan's supply department left a lot to be desired, though I did appreciate the sheer cheek of that one.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That sounds like the "corned beef" we got for St. Patrick's Day, which was ground beef with a can of corn dumped into it. The Reagan's supply department left a lot to be desired, though I did appreciate the sheer cheek of that one.

Hahahahahahhahahh

Hahahha

Hah

Man that’s kinda sad.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
I'm pretty sure Tyson makes a very accurate version of Hamsters.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

How far out did you drop papers? My current enlistment only takes me to 19 years and 8 months but I've been led to believe I can just request a retirement date past 20 and it can be approved without any additional paperwork.

E-6 can request 12 months out from desired FLTRES date. E-7+ is 24 months out. It's also subject to your PRD. Sometimes NPC is going to want you to complete your tour before you peace out.

Edit: "additional paperwork" - with less than 20 years on contract, you'd have to extend your enlistment to meet the FLTRES date.

DustyNuts fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 10, 2018

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Yeah now I have nostalgia cravings for this little guy right here

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DustyNuts posted:

Yeah now I have nostalgia cravings for this little guy right here

:same:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

tacopie posted:

I'm pretty sure Tyson makes a very accurate version of Hamsters.

They do, I used to live off those drat things as a teenager. Still buy a box of them every now and then. So, so good.

Never heard them called fried hamsters before but I'm going to start calling them that from now on.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

Never heard them called fried hamsters before but I'm going to start calling them that from now on.

I always heard them called chicken Chernobyl

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wingnut Ninja posted:

jfc. When I was on the Reagan, the food was great. I know it did go downhill fast, I was on there for two days about a year later and it was pure crap.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
My last deployment was with Admirals staff. The food was legit restaurant quality cooking with the same stuff as everyone else cooks with. Pretty much the only good part of a staff tour.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

My last deployment was with Admirals staff. The food was legit restaurant quality cooking with the same stuff as everyone else cooks with. Pretty much the only good part of a staff tour.

It's pretty crazy when you are on an UNREP working party and see the majority of the items coming from the same distributors that supply the restaurant industry.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

tacopie posted:

It's pretty crazy when you are on an UNREP working party and see the majority of the items coming from the same distributors that supply the restaurant industry.

Where else should they come from? Tyson and all the others makes sense after all.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
san diego owns bones. everyone here is super chill and helpful, nice weather and my roommates are cool too

any area recommendations? still phase 1 so cant really go out yet but soon enough

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

san diego owns bones. everyone here is super chill and helpful, nice weather and my roommates are cool too

any area recommendations? still phase 1 so cant really go out yet but soon enough

Oh god phase 1....

Just buy a playstation and veg out in your room until that pain goes by.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh god phase 1....

Just buy a playstation and veg out in your room until that pain goes by.

Quoting this. Don't go to hotel parties. Don't kill hookers. Downtown is alright, but I much preferred Point Loma and Old Town for going out. Adalbertos or Adelbertos (I forget the spelling) on Rosecrans. Get the Carne Asada Fries and a Cali burrito with everything. Thank me later.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Find a chinese restaurant that does salt and pepper wings and get your roommates to split a catering tray with you.
All your idiot buddies are going to want to go to PB, wait until nobody cares what you are doing before you hit it up at night, the cops have no tolerance for drunk assholes and will gladly give you tickets for jay walking or looking at them funny.
Don't try to fight any street lamps, it won't end well.
Don't buy textbooks from the old guy at the mall in the gaslamp.
Eat a cali burrito,
Eat a lumpia,
Don't eat out a hooker
Don't go to TJ without doing all the paperwork to go there legally.
If you still decide to go without getting permission, walk in, but catch a cab out. MP's like to wait at the pedestrian gate to catch idiots without proper authorization to be down there.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Eschew socialization and spend all your time physically training

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Thronde posted:

Quoting this. Don't go to hotel parties. Don't kill hookers. Downtown is alright, but I much preferred Point Loma and Old Town for going out. Adalbertos or Adelbertos (I forget the spelling) on Rosecrans. Get the Carne Asada Fries and a Cali burrito with everything. Thank me later.

got the switch already hooked up but yeah thanks for this, vegging out after the past two months is sounding pretty solid right now

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

got the switch already hooked up but yeah thanks for this, vegging out after the past two months is sounding pretty solid right now

I haven't stayed down in San Diego in 12 years but there used to be a really cool corner sandwich place in Old Town that served yards of beer too. You could go get a bite to eat and drink just enough beer to make the trip worth it without spending your entire paycheck in the gaslamp district.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

There's an In-N-Out just off the trolley in National City. There's a burrito place south of 32nd St somewhere that was outside of walking distance that one of the Tech Reps for NAVSEA vouched for.....can't remember the name but looking at the map it could have been Joe's or Roberto's. I remember he got lunch for the shop down there one afternoon.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Check out the San Diego Zoo, it's huge and awesome and free for military. The Air and Space Museum is also really cool.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

What was your division shipmate?

Anyone try to commit suicide?

Anyone go to mast?

What’s next for you?
099, integrated with brother div 100

No, but one kid broke down on training day 1-2. He was getting IT because his 02-04 watch log looked like it was written by a 3rd grader. He started screaming "I WANT TO GO HOOOOOOME! I'M TRYING TO GET OUT OF HERE" and was sent to SEPS that day.

No, our division was well-behaved, orange-card fearing nerds. Brother div was a bunch of wannabe alphas who got dropped way more. Hooyah salty boots!

Great Lakes is home until October at the earliest. Looking forward to studying and phasing up so I can check out Chicago night life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

So many new boots with pretty old reg dates. How old are you guys?