Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
There's also the factor of a VGA input having much less lag than HDMI. So I've had some weird scenarios where the same game, on the same TV, would have noticeably less lag on 360 vs. PS3 (since I have a VGA cable for the 360). It's crazy how different Pac-Man Championship DX feels between the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Minidust posted:

Yeah I'll never be some kinda eSport dude but as soon as I jump in Super Mario World I'll be aware of the lag on an HD screen.
My wife cares very little for games, but when we played a bit of The Next Tetris on PS3 (hooked to a low-lag plasma) instead of PS2 (on an old CRT) she immediately complained that it felt "slower".
What's the version with no input lag? PS3 on a CRT? I'd hope the Switch isn't any laggier than any of its current-gen counterparts (or a Vita).

The Switch version itself is perfectly fine, it's just that my TV has more lag than the Vita or Switch versions do on the internal screens.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I’m looking up the easiest way to play PS2 backups and it looks like utilizing a PS3 that’s not backwards compatible is a hassle and a half. Is the easiest way to use a PS2 with an HDD and HDLoader to call it a day?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
:shepface: :retrogames:

Grabbed an "untested" SF2 CE off eBay last week which works perfectly fine... and it's actually Hyper Fighting! :weed:

Since this works I grabbed a spare B+C CE board as these are the best for CPS1 conversions so I can have the Good Games (looking at you: Willow, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Strider and Knights of the Round)

And before someone jumps down my throat for ruining "pristine boards" I'm keeping the chips so shut up. The difference between boards is basically address order so it's essentially the same as the other games but not $600 for the dumb game.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I brought an arcade power supply on a plane a year ago:

I think you'll be fine with an everdrive

e:

flyboi posted:

And before someone jumps down my throat for ruining "pristine boards" I'm keeping the chips so shut up. The difference between boards is basically address order so it's essentially the same as the other games but not $600 for the dumb game.

I seriously don't think anyone here is going to give you poo poo for that. Yeah people who actually hack PCBs beyond repair in bulk to make conversionzzz and profit from it are scumbags but what you're doing isn't that.

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 10, 2018

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Breadallelogram posted:

I might be being paranoid, but does anyone have experience bringing an everdrive in carryon luggage on a flight? I'm going on a business trip next week and considering bringing a ds and gba everdrive but I've heard TSA doesn't like certain electronics.

I flew a couple years ago with a AV Famicom, Everdrive and everything else in my carry on backpack. You are perfectly fine.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

LODGE NORTH posted:

I’m looking up the easiest way to play PS2 backups and it looks like utilizing a PS3 that’s not backwards compatible is a hassle and a half. Is the easiest way to use a PS2 with an HDD and HDLoader to call it a day?

Yep it's really easy and pretty cheap. You can get a SATA HDD unit if you don't care about network connectivity for like $20. Otherwide you can get the official one and use an IDE drive or a SATA one with an adapter. Then you just need a memory card to install free MCBoot on. You'll also need a USB stick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO5DmaXKZ0c

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
Got my Super Nt and loving it. But does it not have controller shortcuts for turning on/off the console (yet)? That's something I appreciate in the Nt Mini.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Caitlin posted:

Two NES games? Maybe really crappy ones :toot:

Marble Madness and Cobra Triangle. :colbert:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

GutBomb posted:

Yep it's really easy and pretty cheap. You can get a SATA HDD unit if you don't care about network connectivity for like $20. Otherwide you can get the official one and use an IDE drive or a SATA one with an adapter. Then you just need a memory card to install free MCBoot on. You'll also need a USB stick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO5DmaXKZ0c

Man. That was a really good tutorial. Not quite sure why he wanted people to rip with isoburn and not, y'know, WinHIIP itself (because it gives that option).

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Quiet Feet posted:

Marble Madness and Cobra Triangle. :colbert:

Super Spike V'Ball and Legacy of the Wizard.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I daresay $10 could easily net you 20 copies of Top Gun. :cmon:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Breadallelogram posted:

I might be being paranoid, but does anyone have experience bringing an everdrive in carryon luggage on a flight? I'm going on a business trip next week and considering bringing a ds and gba everdrive but I've heard TSA doesn't like certain electronics.

The TSA takes everdrive posession very seriously, I sugest you hide the everdrive in your anus.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Breadallelogram posted:

I've gotten stuff like an audio recorder flagged, so yeah complex electronic stuff will get you a slight delay. If you're worried, just pull it and leave it in a tray with your phone/laptop/whatever.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

CrimsonAuthor posted:

Got my Super Nt and loving it. But does it not have controller shortcuts for turning on/off the console (yet)? That's something I appreciate in the Nt Mini.

And here I am still waiting for a shipping notification. Sounds about right for Analogue.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
In no way would they differentiate it from a standard Gameboy + game.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I already said I'm going to take it on the plane. I'll report back if they arrest me.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
So I had installed an RGBNES in my toaster a few years ago and it worked great. Left it in my basement and the other day I tested it out and it no longer works. I tried s video as well just to be sure it wasn't the cable. I get no audio or anything. Just some light static on the screen. Tried reseating everything as well. Absolutely no clue what could be going on. Anyone have any ideas before I cry? I triple checked all my soldering and even used a multimeter to make sure everything was done right. What could have possibly happened?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Why do Japanese players find the majority of trashy licensed games they played to be nostalgic and have fond memories of them, while the rest of the world hate them? Particularly the Famicom games in general

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Willo567 posted:

Why do Japanese players find the majority of trashy licensed games they played to be nostalgic and have fond memories of them, while the rest of the world hate them? Particularly the Famicom games in general

The same reason people give a poo poo about all the Euro computers.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Willo567 posted:

Because they played them as a child and have fond memories of that. The exact same reason people in the west remember lovely games fondly.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I remember walking with my father from the Cloth World in Ontario, CA (where my mom scoured Butterick patterns for my older sisters’ formal dresses) down to the Radio Shack where they had a Tandy set up, playing Super Pitfall. It was 1987(? I think), and it was a great time.

Yes, that game sucked. I can still remember it fondly.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Because they played them as a child and have fond memories of that. The exact same reason people in the west remember lovely games fondly.

Most of the time when I see people talking about lovely games as a child, they usually end up bitching about the game

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Willo567 posted:

Most of the time when I see people talking about lovely games as a child, they usually end up bitching about the game

You know AVGN is just a character, right?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Willo567 posted:

you've basically stumbled upon kusoge culture, which is its own weird thing that i can best describe as a gaming equivalent of people who are into so-bad-it's-good movies, except some famous kusoge are just really awful and not even entertainingly bad

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

So I had installed an RGBNES in my toaster a few years ago and it worked great. Left it in my basement and the other day I tested it out and it no longer works. I tried s video as well just to be sure it wasn't the cable. I get no audio or anything. Just some light static on the screen. Tried reseating everything as well. Absolutely no clue what could be going on. Anyone have any ideas before I cry? I triple checked all my soldering and even used a multimeter to make sure everything was done right. What could have possibly happened?
Remove the PPU from the the RGB NES and put the PPU in the NES socket, returning it to stock. If it works, likely one of the joints between that and the PPU socket on the RGB port isn't working anymore. That's where I'd start, anyway.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

kirbysuperstar posted:

LJN gets a lot of hate here rightfully but it's my guilty pleasure.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Check that you are getting 5V from the voltage regulator and PPU power/ground pins. Also check the capacitors in the power/AV box if they haven't been replaced yet.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

kirbysuperstar posted:

I have fond memories of playing Bubsy with my best friend back in the day, and think positively about the game because of it. :shobon:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Miles McCloud posted:

Remove the PPU from the the RGB NES and put the PPU in the NES socket, returning it to stock. If it works, likely one of the joints between that and the PPU socket on the RGB port isn't working anymore. That's where I'd start, anyway.

The thought of having to desolder and resolder this PPU again (the hardest part of the whole mod) is giving me agita but if all else fails I will try this as a last resort. Thank you for the suggestion!

Monitor Burn posted:

Check that you are getting 5V from the voltage regulator and PPU power/ground pins. Also check the capacitors in the power/AV box if they haven't been replaced yet.

I feel really dumb, I have a Meterman 5XL. How do I check those two things? I've only ever used it to check continuity :shobon:

Here's an image of it.

I don't know where I should turn the knob or where I should put the red and black probes. :saddowns:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 10, 2018

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I got Cruisn USA with my N64 and I maintain that it is a good game with a good soundtrack.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Hey what’s a standard SD card drive emulator for Commodore 64? I wanna put mine to more use but the floppy disk reader is a pain in the rear end.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
Basically, it depends on what you want to pay. The SD2IEC is the budget SD reader for the C64, but it's not that fast and isn't 100% compatible with all disk games. The 1541 Ultimate II is better all round, including near-complete compatibility with all games, but it's much more expensive.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The Big Word posted:

I got Cruisn USA with my N64 and I maintain that it is a good game with a good soundtrack.
Cruis'n USA is one of those games that are pretty bad but playable enough not to be completely painful, and the soundtrack is so awful that it loops back around to being cool. I fire it up from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8cGdtkOS5s

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
On a standard NES pinout, are there some pins that are NC? I've decided to try replacing my Blinking light Win because I've steadily gotten worse and worse results at getting games to connect. So while the replacement is coming I decided to take the NES apart to take out the old BLW and, while I had the chance, break out a multimeter to test the pin-by-pin connections. So far I was able to confirm that the top row (as if you were looking down straight at a game inserted into a frontloader) all connect up fine, but right off the bat on the bottom row there are some that don't seem to connect at all to the cartridge.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Before diving into voltage/continuity testing, is the 72 pin connector clean/making good contact, along with the cartridges you tested?

Couldn't find a manual for your multimeter, but I paraphrased this from a different one:

1. Turn dial counterclockwise to DC V symbol with the solid and dotted line over the V; the "2" setting should be fine to start with (where the multimeter is set to in the picture).

2. First insert the black probe into the black COM jack.

3. Then insert the red probes into the red V Ω jack. When finished, remove the probes in reverse order: red first, then black.

4. Connect the test probes to the circuit: black to the negative polarity test point (circuit ground), red to positive test point.

If you see significant voltage drop from 5V from power and ground on the NES voltage regulator (like 4.0-4.5), then try replacing that first. After that I'd try the main 2200uf power capacitor, then after look at the NESRGB/PPU. The ideal test would be to get another PPU and socket it in place of the NESRGB board and see if it still outputs stock composite.

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 10, 2018

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I picked up a Game Gear for twenty bucks at a thrift store and I'm getting a blank screen when I turn it on. Cursory googling has indicated that I need to replace the capacitors. Is my best bet here buying the set sold on Amazon?

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Cloks posted:

I picked up a Game Gear for twenty bucks at a thrift store and I'm getting a blank screen when I turn it on. Cursory googling has indicated that I need to replace the capacitors. Is my best bet here buying the set sold on Amazon?

I recommend Console5's cap kits:

https://console5.com/store/sega-game-gear-cap-kit-for-va1-models.html

https://console5.com/store/sega-game-gear-cap-kit-for-va4-models.html

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Monitor Burn posted:

Before diving into voltage/continuity testing, is the 72 pin connector clean/making good contact, along with the cartridges you tested?

Couldn't find a manual for your multimeter, but I paraphrased this from a different one:

1. Turn dial counterclockwise to DC V symbol with the solid and dotted line over the V; the "2" setting should be fine to start with (where the multimeter is set to in the picture).

2. First insert the black probe into the black COM jack.

3. Then insert the red probes into the red V Ω jack. When finished, remove the probes in reverse order: red first, then black.

4. Connect the test probes to the circuit: black to the negative polarity test point (circuit ground), red to positive test point.

If you see significant voltage drop from 5V from power and ground on the NES voltage regulator (like 4.0-4.5), then try replacing that first. After that I'd try the main 2200uf power capacitor, then after look at the NESRGB/PPU. The ideal test would be to get another PPU and socket it in place of the NESRGB board and see if it still outputs stock composite.

Thank you so much.

On the voltage regulator I get a reading of 1.

On the PPU from ground to pin 40 (+5) I get a reading of. 096. From ground to pin 21 (VOUT) I get nothing. Am I supposed to?

Do my readings show anything wrong?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Nate RFB posted:

On a standard NES pinout, are there some pins that are NC? I've decided to try replacing my Blinking light Win because I've steadily gotten worse and worse results at getting games to connect. So while the replacement is coming I decided to take the NES apart to take out the old BLW and, while I had the chance, break out a multimeter to test the pin-by-pin connections. So far I was able to confirm that the top row (as if you were looking down straight at a game inserted into a frontloader) all connect up fine, but right off the bat on the bottom row there are some that don't seem to connect at all to the cartridge.

https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Cartridge_connector

It looks like they're all wired up. Not sure about those EXP connections in the center - I wonder if those are some equivalent of the Famicom's expansion port, and that's partially why NES carts are 72 pin and the Famicom is only 60.