Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Chicken posted:

I hope you Americans can have a cool and good team next Olympics!

*Ron Howard*: They won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

First watched curling in 2006 - calc teacher would have it on during study hall. There is a curling club in Pittsburgh. I...may have signed up to try. This is gonna be fun.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
Hamiltons blew lead to other notable bad team the Chinese.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Maybe the Hamilton’s aren’t good. :thunk:

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

If we're free, tell me why
I can't look in my brother's eye
I don't know guys, America beat Norway and Norway beat Canada, which I think makes America the best team

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

The Americans are actually making 74% of their shots which is third best behind Canada and Norway. So they're playing well except they miss all the important shots! And they beat Norway and Russia who are sitting second and third right now.

The Official Chicken Analysis is that they are Good curlers who are not used to mixed doubles. If that makes you guys feel better.

Playoff picture is starting to get sorted out. Canada and !Russia are guaranteed a playoff spot. If Norway beats China, then Norway and Switzerland are in. If Norway loses to China and Switzerland loses to !Russia we'll see a tiebreaker! I think. I can't find the seeding information anywhere so it might be determined by who had the closest draws the the house at the beginning of the game over the tournament.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Chicken posted:

I'm not sure exactly how they do it for the Olympics but it's probably pretty similar to how they do it in clubs. Ice making is a huge part of curling and there's a Canadian curling hero named Shorty Jenkins (A+ name) who's famous solely for ice making.

To say nothing of the pink cowboy hat.

gret posted:

He keeps winning our trials so I'd imagine we don't have any one better. I'm kind of surprised random countries aren't poaching elite curlers from Canada who have a minuscule chance of going to the Olympics representing Canada.

Russia was trying to do exactly that, recruiting a most of a team from the ranks of the Manitoba juniors. They wanted a decent showing in Sochi, but dropped the plan pretty early. Reported payday for those kids would have been $100,000 US per year for three years leading up to the 2014 games. Many (perhaps most teams) recruit a Canadian to coach.

Someone also brought up curling needing some heels. Bingyu Wang's rink got a little too excited about Jennifer Jones missing a shot in a round robin game once and there was a lot of ink devoted to the lack of decorum on the part of the Chinese. One of their players was so excited for the win that she tossed her broom in the air! SCANDALOUS! To borrow a phrase from cricket, it's just not curling.

Advanced Class
Something interesting to note is that this will be the final Olympics with the four rock rule in the free guard zone. The various governing bodies of curling are implementing a five rock rule that will start up with the next Olympic cycle, which essentially begins this coming fall.

This will alter the desirable characteristics for seconds, as their role for straight up heavy-hitting will diminish as they will have to have a bit more finesse with their first rock in ends with the hammer. I'm liking it because it might lead to more ticking, or at least attempts at it.

Personally, I don't really see why the four rock rule was ever a thing in the first place. The three rock rule was there to help a trailing team establish a guard; five rock rule helps them establish two. Maybe four rocks was a necessary step to get it to where it really needed to be.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

quote:

Advanced Class
Something interesting to note is that this will be the final Olympics with the four rock rule in the free guard zone. The various governing bodies of curling are implementing a five rock rule that will start up with the next Olympic cycle, which essentially begins this coming fall.

This will alter the desirable characteristics for seconds, as their role for straight up heavy-hitting will diminish as they will have to have a bit more finesse with their first rock in ends with the hammer. I'm liking it because it might lead to more ticking, or at least attempts at it.

Personally, I don't really see why the four rock rule was ever a thing in the first place. The three rock rule was there to help a trailing team establish a guard; five rock rule helps them establish two. Maybe four rocks was a necessary step to get it to where it really needed to be.

I've always been a bit lost on the #-rock rules. I get that you don't want guards peeled constantly for blanks, but it always seemed to me that the early guards are there more to help the team without the hammer clutter up the house and force the hammer to take points if they can't steal. what's the difference between 4 and 5? How many ends really shape up where not letting the second from the team without the hammer peel is a detriment?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Mother of god what the US is doing to Norway right now is disgusting :stare:

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

Mother of god what the US is doing to Norway right now is disgusting :stare:

No poo poo, where were these Hamiltons in the last three games?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Theris posted:

No poo poo, where were these Hamiltons in the last three games?

Maybe they'll finally wake up for team now? :shrug:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

That half-hug during the interview is a definite brother-sister hug.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Chicken posted:

The Americans are actually making 74% of their shots which is third best behind Canada and Norway. So they're playing well except they miss all the important shots! And they beat Norway and Russia who are sitting second and third right now.

The Official Chicken Analysis is that they are Good curlers who are not used to mixed doubles. If that makes you guys feel better.

yeah the whole mixed format seems weird in general. it's new? so it's not established with decades of history like, pairs figure skating or something, so the only people who seem to be playing it are a. brother/sisters b. wife/husbands or c. random pairing from okay curling teams that don't know each other but wanted to play in this event. it's a niche new? ruleset in an already niche sport, not really the best way to bring out the best players.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

How does the selection process for Curling teams work? Do they take already very successful teams and send them to the olympics or do they attempt to make some sort of super team with standouts from multiple teams?

I haven't watched any of the team curling matches yet, but I've very much enjoyed the mixed doubles format so far. Therefore, as I understand it, Kaitlyn Lawes is the greatest curler in the world.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Tolly Totes posted:

How does the selection process for Curling teams work? Do they take already very successful teams and send them to the olympics or do they attempt to make some sort of super team with standouts from multiple teams?

I haven't watched any of the team curling matches yet, but I've very much enjoyed the mixed doubles format so far. Therefore, as I understand it, Kaitlyn Lawes is the greatest curler in the world.

Canada has a big tournament, the teams are the ones who compete normally on the circuit/ in bonspiels, winner goes to the olympics. There's very little all star teaming outside of the occasional fun event.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Tolly Totes posted:

Lawes is part of Jennifer Jones team from the last Olympics so she’s like the 2nd best player on the second best team in the world so pretty close.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

ilmucche posted:

I've always been a bit lost on the #-rock rules. I get that you don't want guards peeled constantly for blanks, but it always seemed to me that the early guards are there more to help the team without the hammer clutter up the house and force the hammer to take points if they can't steal. what's the difference between 4 and 5? How many ends really shape up where not letting the second from the team without the hammer peel is a detriment?

Emma Miskew posted:

We played a seventh end last year where we tried a hard shot to blank the end instead of an easy shot for a point because we were up by only one point at the time. We preferred being tied going into the eighth end with hammer (if we were to miss and give up a steal of one) rather than two points up without. That’s a decision we would never have made with the four-rock rule, where being up by two points is usually considered a control situation.

That's from an article by Emma Miskew of Team Canada. The point isn't so much to help the team with or without hammer, rather it helps the team that's behind which leads to more exciting games.

In the javelin event they have had to introduce more and more stringent requirements on the javelin because athletes were getting stronger and better technology meant the javelin could go further. The javelin event is inside a track and field oval, so to keep runners from dying they had to impose constraints on the sport. Curling faced a similar issue in the eighties. There was starting to be some money in curling which meant teams were training harder and becoming better. At the same time, ice making technology was starting to get better and rocks were becoming more standardized. Before the three rock rule you would routinely see games with scores like 4-3 and 3-1 because hits were now incredibly easy. To make the game more exciting to fans, they brought in the three rock rule in Canada in 1993. Since then, players have continued to get better, ice is a lot better and has a lot more curl, and sweeping research means rocks can be moved quite a bit as they move. It's a bit of an arms race.

All this means guards are less effective as you can make a low weight takeout directly behind a high guard or you can easily peel two guards that aren't placed quite correctly. The five rock rule basically allows the team without hammer to set up three guards which are pretty unlikely to be removed in one shot. That gives the team a one rock buffer to play with and even a great hitting team won't be able to clear all the center guards until the third's shots at the very earliest. For the team with hammer you have more options but also more risk: you can play corner guards on each side, staggered corner guards on one side, a guard and a draw on one side, bury two rocks behind the center guards, or some combination. Every team will have different strategies depending on the score and it will be interesting to see what wins out. More rocks in play means cooler shots in my opinion.

Tolly Totes posted:

As ilmucche said, Canada has a huge tournament to see who goes to the Olympics. Nine teams for each gender played in the final tournament and there was actually a pre tournament with fourteen teams of each gender just to get the last two spots in the final tournament. Other countries have a much smaller pool of teams to draw from and most of the European countries (and the US) will invite the top two to four teams to play a playoff to see who goes. The Asian countries and I believe Scotland/GBR choose a team to go based on who the committee thinks will do best. All star teams don't really happen although it's common to see one of the players from the opposing team come to the Olympics as an alternate player.

And yeah Kaitlyn Lawes is very, very good and also just a genuinely nice person from what I've heard.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

That was a long and boring post so here's a picture of one of the best curling teams in the world in 1968:

Smoking on the ice wasn't banned at the Canadian men's championship until 1980! Possibly because it was sponsored by a tobacco company...

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Minrad posted:

yeah the whole mixed format seems weird in general. it's new? so it's not established with decades of history like, pairs figure skating or something, so the only people who seem to be playing it are a. brother/sisters b. wife/husbands or c. random pairing from okay curling teams that don't know each other but wanted to play in this event. it's a niche new? ruleset in an already niche sport, not really the best way to bring out the best players.

Mixed doubles are indeed quite new and from my understanding, there were three reasons to bring it in. One, the IOC wanted more co-ed sports (see: the addition of luge relay, biathlon relay, and team skiing). Two, curling wanted a sport that was a bit more accessible to the average non-curling viewer. Mixed doubles games take about half as long as a regular game and are higher scoring and have more big shots. Thirdly, and a bit more far-fetched, was to see curling expand to countries that may not be able to support a full curling team. While there aren't any non-traditional curling countries at the Olympics this year, in past years countries like New Zealand, Spain, Austria, and Czechia have all medalled at the mixed doubles world championships. I hope that keeps up and you don't just see Canada, Scandinavia, and Switzerland dominating the mixed doubles.

Mixed doubles has been played a bit longer in Europe and I think the players on the Russian team have only played mixed doubles at a high level and have never been on the men's or women's teams. So you might start to see junior curlers choosing to go into mixed doubles rather than seeing it just as a backup plan.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

these mixed doubles are weird to watch at first but more curling is more curling, which is good enough for me :)

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

The Korean dude does the hard blink every time he does a shot, at first I thought it was because he was making mistake but I think that's just something he does.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

Tolly Totes posted:

The Korean dude does the hard blink every time he does a shot, at first I thought it was because he was making mistake but I think that's just something he does.

speaking of which, what a bad shot that just was. Right through didn't touch anything

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

Chicken posted:

curling wanted a sport that was a bit more accessible to the average non-curling viewer. Mixed doubles games take about half as long as a regular game and are higher scoring and have more big shots.

These are the first Curling games I've watched and I'm having fun

E: Wow that was a great shot from Kaitlyn!

Tolly Totes fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 11, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kaitlyn threw the wrong color stone. I've never seen that happen before.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

Josh Lyman posted:

Kaitlyn threw the wrong color stone. I've never seen that happen before.

She seemed pretty distressed by it too. A bit awkward all around

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

lol that John is making Kaitlyn sweep on every shot

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Holy poo poo Kaitlyn! She is nailing it this game. Korea's numbers may not be great but they've had to face some incredibly hard shots and have done pretty well.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Olympic curling is one of the best times of the year, but... televised curling just isn't the same without Vic Rauter.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Minrad posted:

it's a new thing but it's actually getting popular super-fast, and as I understand it the wife/husband thing was a major reason why it's exploded. at the club level there are a lot of couples who curl, and want to do travel bonspiels together. but there aren't many competitive invitational mixed events, and organizing a mixed travel team is harder. so a mixed doubles event you can travel with your SO and play a more competitive format.

and the rule format is kinda weird with the artificial guard stones and power plays and other gimmicks, but some of that is about where curling is right now. there's posts earlier in the thread about how someone developed a new fabric that allowed crazy control and it got banned, right? well, people also figured out you could get some of the same effect with directional sweeping and other techniques, and they just have too much control over the rocks.

the high level mens game got very boring to watch for a couple years. they didn't even bother to place guards because they were worthless, and a main strategy was throwing blank ends (ie no rocks left, no score). now they're increasing the guards to five to try to combat it.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I think I'm in love with Kaitlyn Lawes.

e: oh wow, the US lost to Finland.

gret fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 11, 2018

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

Ok so according to wikipedia John Morris was one time known as the "bad boy of curling" and I really just don't see how that can be possible, partly because it's curling and partly because he seems like a fairly nice guy who is always complimenting his teammate

Chicken posted:

Holy poo poo Kaitlyn! She is nailing it this game.

I'm almost scared to see the women's team that apparently beat her team

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tolly Totes posted:

Ok so according to wikipedia John Morris was one time known as the "bad boy of curling" and I really just don't see how that can be possible, partly because it's curling and partly because he seems like a fairly nice guy who is always complimenting his teammate
Is this... are you being facetious?

quote:

Rachel Homan is a stone cold (heh) killer and Jennifer Jones is old and washed up that's right I said it fight me :colbert:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 11, 2018

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Tolly Totes posted:

They probably aren’t much better than Kaitlyn. Kaitlyn’s team was at one point the dominant team but they are all 10-15 years older than her and she was brought to replace an older player. The team that beat her is all around her age.

Between them, they’ve won 5 of the last 6 Canadian championships (3-2 Homan) but Homan and friends are set to dominate for the foreseeable future while Lawes’ team is just going to get worse. But that doesn’t really apply to Kaitlyn’s individual skills.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

Rachel Homan is a stone cold (heh) killer and Jennifer Jones is old and washed up that's right I said it fight me :colbert:

This is a good opinion.

Playoffs are almost set. Switzerland (2) plays Russia (3) while Canada (1) plays the winner of the China/Norway tiebreaker. Winners of those games go to the gold medal game and losers go to the bronze.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

Josh Lyman posted:

Is this... are you being facetious?

No, I haven't seen a lot of these games yet, so I might be missing stuff but in the games I've seen him he's been nice enough. He had some calls that apparently didn't go well but he apologized pretty profusely for that. Maybe I'm not really familiar with norms and etiquette of curling but he doesn't really seem to be doing anything majorly offensive. On the other hand, I've heard him say stuff about how good Kaitlyn's shots were or how well she's been sweeping.

But again I haven't seen any curling before like two days ago so I'm not working off of much.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MrT/status/962493805118177280

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Chicken posted:

All this means guards are less effective as you can make a low weight takeout directly behind a high guard or you can easily peel two guards that aren't placed quite correctly. The five rock rule basically allows the team without hammer to set up three guards which are pretty unlikely to be removed in one shot. That gives the team a one rock buffer to play with and even a great hitting team won't be able to clear all the center guards until the third's shots at the very earliest. For the team with hammer you have more options but also more risk: you can play corner guards on each side, staggered corner guards on one side, a guard and a draw on one side, bury two rocks behind the center guards, or some combination. Every team will have different strategies depending on the score and it will be interesting to see what wins out. More rocks in play means cooler shots in my opinion.

Cheers, I've always looked at it as a minor detriment, but the one extra rock didn't make a huge difference. Hopefully it leads to more chaotic "10 rocks in the house" type ends. Those are always great to watch.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/TeamShuster/status/962689349102940161

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
China vs Norway on NBC Sports now. Everybody must get stoned.

Apparently China accidentally moved a stone out of the house but Norway was allowed to put it back. #SweepGate

• Locked thread