Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Miko lives her life 100 meters at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Finished Lady. It was great honestly. I mean I have a ton of complaints but it was all redeemed by the ending. The journey to hell bit in the middle was fantastic too. The monster of the week stuff dragged on waaaay to long but it gave us the battle in the snow bit which was amazing. There's too much rape. I think the generally dismissive attitude I've seen people take toward it is lame and you should just be able to list the cons of it (too long, all the rape scenes) and let people decide if they don't want to read it.

Now more than ever I want the Sayo Yamamoto adaptation. Dav told me to read Vs. Cutie Honey so that's what I'm gonna do next.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Happy trails for the freakin win

:sweatdrop:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 10, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/avery_kua/status/961673798679482370

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

DisDisDis posted:

Finished Lady. It was great honestly. I mean I have a ton of complaints but it was all redeemed by the ending. The journey to hell bit in the middle was fantastic too. The monster of the week stuff dragged on waaaay to long but it gave us the battle in the snow bit which was amazing. There's too much rape. I think the generally dismissive attitude I've seen people take toward it is lame and you should just be able to list the cons of it (too long, all the rape scenes) and let people decide if they don't want to read it.

Now more than ever I want the Sayo Yamamoto adaptation. Dav told me to read Vs. Cutie Honey so that's what I'm gonna do next.

I'm a little bit over halfway through it myself and agree with everything here. It has its problems (mainly all the rape) but when it's good it's real good. I'm just mad the armor she wore in the snow battle chapters didn't come back (at least not yet from where i'm at) cause its rad as hell.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

Honest bias disclaimer: I distinctly remember watching this scene for the first time and while looking at the action I just heard the words and self-translated and did not read the subtitles. I only went back to it because of the thread.

This is the scene and dialogue that makes the translation argument. Miki actually just says "Me too!", which imo is ambiguous enough combined with her earlier response to the previous Miko "I love you" to interpret her as wanting to be friends but rejecting the romantic confession.

As a reminder, in the other case her response was "I know. I thought you were cool back then, and I like you". Miko love count: 2, Miki love count: 0. Given the context of impending apocalypse I'm sure this is about as polite of a confession rejection as you can get.

:thunk:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tiny Brain: Miki isnt a lesbian
Full brain: Miki is a lesbian
Galaxy brain: Miki is a lesbian but not in love with Miko

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
it doesn't matters what Miki's sexuality is because no one could resist the allure of a huge spider woman

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Miki wants love and settled on the allure of a giant spider. It's almost sad that she seemed more desperate for anyone to return that kind of feeling to her, but the world was ending, so I'm not holding it against her.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Crabtree posted:

Miki wants love and settled on the allure of a giant spider. It's almost sad that she seemed more desperate for anyone to return that kind of feeling to her, but the world was ending, so I'm not holding it against her.

Miki just wanted to pass that baton, but they horribly murdered her instead. If you ask me, she got shafted. :downsrim:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Like I understand that it wouldn’t help at a track meet but Miko should’ve just been a spider so she could hold multiple batons when she ran

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Every time I leave this thread and come back it's another 2 pages of "I think they're just friends." Also it's hilarious to me that pretty much every argument I've seen about it has been some permutation of "it's ambiguous whether it's romantic or platonic love ergo it's unambiguously platonic love."

Like I could have seen the Miki/Miko confession as ambiguous if it wasn't the narrative climax of both their arcs but it seems pretty clear to me that a lot of the people arguing that it could go either way then directly conclude that they're just friends

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/hk__mw/status/962964632859238400

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 12, 2018

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i love his big hairy D

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

This is perfect

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Dire Lemming posted:

Every time I leave this thread and come back it's another 2 pages of "I think they're just friends." Also it's hilarious to me that pretty much every argument I've seen about it has been some permutation of "it's ambiguous whether it's romantic or platonic love ergo it's unambiguously platonic love."

Like I could have seen the Miki/Miko confession as ambiguous if it wasn't the narrative climax of both their arcs but it seems pretty clear to me that a lot of the people arguing that it could go either way then directly conclude that they're just friends

Nah man, I'm mad that the world wouldn't even let her have some good lesbian spider love. Girl was given poo poo her whole life, had that one moment where someone finally clicked with her the way she always hoped for, and then she was loving brutally murdered. Miki deserved better from life!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I watched this show and thought it was hot rear end on sidewalk covered in poop and am now mad enough to post in an SA thread about it AMA

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

AnEdgelord posted:

I watched this show and thought it was hot rear end on sidewalk covered in poop and am now mad enough to post in an SA thread about it AMA
Well since you said I can ask you anything...

About a week ago somebody stole my recycling bin for about 24 hours before mysteriously returning it. Who stole it and why?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Raxivace posted:

Well since you said I can ask you anything...

About a week ago somebody stole my recycling bin for about 24 hours before mysteriously returning it. Who stole it and why?

Janice from down the street, she mistook it for hers and took it home, upon discovering her actual bin the next day she went back and put it back

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AnEdgelord posted:

As a pissed off, unattached force of entropic chaos, tell me:

Is miki a lesbian

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Rigged Death Trap posted:

As a pissed off, unattached force of entropic chaos, tell me:

Is miki a lesbian

I got a bi vibe

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

AnEdgelord posted:

I got a bi vibe

And the time loop repeats...

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

*sighs, pulling out my clipboard*

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Now that i've collected my thoughts a bit and am ready I'm gonna rant here because gently caress you I sat through this trash and need somewhere to write this down where it will actually be seen by human eyes, and have a chance of poisoning the collective discourse against this piece of poo poo.

1. This pacing is atrocious, it lingers where it should abbreviate and abbreviates where it should linger. There was an entire demon villain that I missed the appearance of simply because I looked away from the screen for a sec to pet my loving dog. Meanwhile we spend forever on these dumb moments, like Akira interrupting the stoning, where it goes on forever. That the theme of the stoning scene was completely undercut by the very next scene with the rappers and the Mikis is just adding insult to injury.

2. Because the pacing is hosed the only people who actually get anything resembling character development are Akira, Ryo, and the Mikis. Everyone else has such thin characterization that I struggle to even remember their names.

3. The use of violence in this show starts out strong and culminates in the genuinely disturbing track field massacre where the juxtaposition between the mundane and the horrific is used to great effect, but after this point the show jumps a shark that ultimately deflates pretty much every thing else into nothing more than cheap shock tactics to the point that I actively lost investment in the story. Right around where the cat gets stabbed through the chest is where I checked out, thankfully that particular moment was later used to reveal the cat as a Devilman, but everything else after that was just reinforcing my checking out.

4. The ending is probably the worst offense in my book, maybe its because I found Ryo insufferable as a character even before his reveal as Satan, but it makes absolutely everything leading up to it absolutely pointless. If every major character blew their brains out in the first scene then literally nothing would have changed. NGE did this same kind of ending far, FAR better partly by not invalidating every single event up until that point in time. Oh I forgot, there is one thing that would change, maybe they wouldn't be able to make Satan feel sad :qq:.

I can probably expand on each of these given time but I just needed to get this poo poo out of my head.

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 14, 2018

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
decided to watch Kemonozume, it's a pretty wild ride but felt like it started to fall apart in the second half.

lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if only the show where the ending "invalidates" its plot had something to say about futility and how we interact with it

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

dogsicle posted:

if only the show where the ending "invalidates" its plot had something to say about futility and how we interact with it

If only such a theme was delivered in any way but the most ineptly hamfisted and cliched way possible.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like it's pretty obvious and handled well with the relationship between Miko and Koda, who outside their initial similarities end up on different paths. Koda abandons his humanity and struggle for self-actualization and is killed as a footnote. Meanwhile Miko, Miki, and Akira all embrace their humanity and fight futilely against society. Their struggle is cast as the climax of the entire series and is unequivocally positive despite it ending violently.

outside of that, the general idea that a destination makes the journey worthless is dumb as hell to me.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

dogsicle posted:

i feel like it's pretty obvious and handled well with the relationship between Miko and Koda, who outside their initial similarities end up on different paths. Koda abandons his humanity and struggle for self-actualization and is killed as a footnote. Meanwhile Miko, Miki, and Akira all embrace their humanity and fight futilely against society. Their struggle is cast as the climax of the entire series and is unequivocally positive despite it ending violently.

outside of that, the general idea that a destination makes the journey worthless is dumb as hell to me.

You have a much different read on that scene than I do. That scene ultimately cements the viewpoint of Satan and the Demons as correct, the killing of Miki, Miko, and the Rappers is the proof that humanity is fundamentally broken and deserves to die. Akira even vocalizes the theme at the end of the sequence ('you're the real demons'). It slides well past anything bittersweet or dark into a misanthropic lust for the death of humanity. This is further reinforced by every single human in every subsequent scene being a faceless soldier or cruel scientist. In truth this is the scene that I decided I hated the show on, the ending being a gigantic wet fart is just icing on the poop cake.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

...Did we watch the same show?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

hmmmm.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The show is not saying "humanity is broken and deserves to die", it's saying "these things about us are awful and if we let blind hatred and ignorance guide us then we're hosed, here let me show you"

But anyway, lol

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Terper posted:

The show is not saying "humanity is broken and deserves to die", it's saying "these things about us are awful and if we let blind hatred and ignorance guide us then we're hosed, here let me show you"

But anyway, lol

The goodness in humanity is literally and figuratively snuffed out in that scene, more importantly humanity itself is caught in an infinite cycle where it will repeatedly do this same thing over and over and over again purely to make Satan sad. There is no path of redemption, no path of escape that the story offers. Love will always fail, in the face of mankind's infinite cruelty no matter what with no possibility of breaking it.

This is the same b.s. that I hated in Lord of the Flies and this show reminds me a great deal about that book and its authoritarian notions of how humanity acts when it isn't 'controlled'. Luckily this show is less nakedly reactionary despite their similarity of themes.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
my memory is bad and im too lazy to go back and check so sorry if that was posted already but check out this official valentine's day art

look at those gals just being pals, a beautiful portrayal of female friendship

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

The goodness in humanity is literally and figuratively snuffed out in that scene, more importantly humanity itself is caught in an infinite cycle where it will repeatedly do this same thing over and over and over again purely to make Satan sad. There is no path of redemption, no path of escape that the story offers. Love will always fail, in the face of mankind's infinite cruelty no matter what with no possibility of breaking it.

This is the same b.s. that I hated in Lord of the Flies and this show reminds me a great deal about that book and its authoritarian notions of how humanity acts when it isn't 'controlled'. Luckily this show is less nakedly reactionary despite their similarity of themes.

yeah that's just a read on the series that is so overwhelmingly negative i can't really grapple with, especially given Yuasa's previous works. though i do seem to be the only person itt who finds any hope in the ending at all. :shrug:

the reset of the cycle starts with an earth that has two moons and a Satan that has learned of love (even though he won't remember at first), which both appear to me as indicators that changes can and will continue to be made, even if the world ends repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
no you're not the only one, i agree that devilman has some hope in it's story and ending, even if it tastes reeeeeal bitter

• Locked thread