Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

How often does TWSBI change up the colors of the 580AL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The way they’re currently headed about once every 48 hours

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I honestly expect them to rerelease the 580al I just paid a premium for, calling it Pumpkin or Mandarin or something. Apparently Orange was a very profitable color.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Does a Pilot con-50 converter fit in the Metropolitan?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

lmao right on schedule TWSBI just released an ECO-T in, wait for it, yellow-green

they really are bilking every single colour possible to try and save their financials

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kessel posted:

lmao right on schedule TWSBI just released an ECO-T in, wait for it, yellow-green

they really are bilking every single colour possible to try and save their financials

This does not inspire confidence. Good thing it'll be a while before I really want/should afford a new pen, maybe they'll explode and leave me one fewer option to decide from.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

MoraleHazard posted:

Does a Pilot con-50 converter fit in the Metropolitan?

Yes. Con-70 is the only one that won't fit.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

effika posted:

Yes. Con-70 is the only one that won't fit.

Thanks. I've always "liked" fountain pens and I'm just getting a little more serious about them, a business associate giving me nudge because of his interest. I bought the Pilot Metropolitan a couple of years ago, have a Schrade tactical pen a buddy gave me, and a tiny Montblanc that was a "I'm in business, yay!" purchase back when I started working in insurance. I hadn't used the Montblanc in at least a decade, so it took a while to clean it this morning. I've kind of learned playing around that it's probably too small for my hands.

So I got a converter for my Metropolitan and two bottles of ink. Both ink bottles were Pilot Iroshizuku, one is Ku-Jaku (blue / green) and the other Murasaki-shikibu (purple). Here's a picture of the pens:

I'm looking to get moderately priced ($50-$200) bold nib pen, or a pen that can have interchangeable nibs that somewhere between the Pilot and the Schrade in the above picture. Any recommendations?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Two newb questions:

-Is it normal for pens with cartridges to start flowing poorly or skipping more often when they get down to 1/4 full? It's been the case with my Preppy, but I'm curious if that's common.

-is there a secret art to cleaning out pens with a bunch of fins in the feed, like the Preppy? I've mostly been rinsing it, then letting it dry out on paper towels. I've done that and it does seem to pull the ink out little by little, but it's taking a while.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Get a bulb syringe and use that to flush the section and feed out, works like a charm.

MoraleHazard posted:

I'm looking to get moderately priced ($50-$200) bold nib pen, or a pen that can have interchangeable nibs that somewhere between the Pilot and the Schrade in the above picture. Any recommendations?

There's...a lot in that price range: Lamy 2000, Pilot Custom 74, Pelikan M200, TWSBI, the full Edison production line, Platinum 3776, even the cheapest Visconti.

If it were me I'd get the Lamy 2K, gold nib, piston filler, iconic styling that isn't as look at me like some crazy acrylic, but it also isn't a black resin cigar shape. Makrolon is super durable. You can technically swap nib units, but I don't think Lamy sells them as a separate part. My only complaint is that my fingers tend to slide down the tapered section causing me to grip the pen at too narrow a spot, which can be fatiguing

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Get a bulb syringe and use that to flush the section and feed out, works like a charm.

There's...a lot in that price range: Lamy 2000, Pilot Custom 74, Pelikan M200, TWSBI, the full Edison production line, Platinum 3776, even the cheapest Visconti.

If it were me I'd get the Lamy 2K, gold nib, piston filler, iconic styling that isn't as look at me like some crazy acrylic, but it also isn't a black resin cigar shape. Makrolon is super durable. You can technically swap nib units, but I don't think Lamy sells them as a separate part. My only complaint is that my fingers tend to slide down the tapered section causing me to grip the pen at too narrow a spot, which can be fatiguing

I was going to comment about Edison as well, they make replacing the nib easy by doing the nib as a whole unit, that said gold nibs for those are 150 bucks (steel are only 20/25 though) and getting a gold nib for the pen out of the gate adds almost twice the cost on a new pen. Edison apparently tunes the nibs they get from JoWo I like the TWSBI Vac700r I got recently, TWSBI does replacement nibs as a unit as well and they are relatively inexpensive as well.

Edit: Lamy 2k - I've read that while they don't sell through usual retailers, there is a seller on eBay.de that does sell them separately, again, gold so not cheap. Apparently, Lamy will swap out a nib in like new condition, but you have to send the whole pen to Germany.

The Electronaut fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 10, 2018

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

MockingQuantum posted:

Two newb questions:

-Is it normal for pens with cartridges to start flowing poorly or skipping more often when they get down to 1/4 full? It's been the case with my Preppy, but I'm curious if that's common.

-is there a secret art to cleaning out pens with a bunch of fins in the feed, like the Preppy? I've mostly been rinsing it, then letting it dry out on paper towels. I've done that and it does seem to pull the ink out little by little, but it's taking a while.

IIRC something bad happens to the flow of ink when the pen is running low but I'm not remembering well and I can't seem to google it.

I find the preppy feeds hard to clean, which is one of it's few weaknesses. If the cap was a tiny bit sturdier and the feed could be disassembled it would be about the perfect $3 pen. You can do alright by running a faucet at a very small stream, just above a trickle and letting that fall into the feed. Something like a poor-mans bulb syringe. I use the paper towels thing to pull out the ink after that. If I'm in a hurry, I sometimes clean the feed poorly, switch inks, and pull ink out of the nib with paper towels until it isn't tinted. As long as I don't care about the color too much.

Using some ammonia in the rinse water will help clean it out faster.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I lost my pen I'm pretty sure. Gonna ask at work if someone's found it but I don't have much hope. Was a black Lamy Scala. Nice pen, even though the grip showed fingerprints a bit much.

Now what am I going to replace it with?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

The Electronaut posted:

I was going to comment about Edison as well, they make replacing the nib easy by doing the nib as a whole unit, that said gold nibs for those are 150 bucks (steel are only 20/25 though) and getting a gold nib for the pen out of the gate adds almost twice the cost on a new pen. Edison apparently tunes the nibs they get from JoWo I like the TWSBI Vac700r I got recently, TWSBI does replacement nibs as a unit as well and they are relatively inexpensive as well.

Edit: Lamy 2k - I've read that while they don't sell through usual retailers, there is a seller on eBay.de that does sell them separately, again, gold so not cheap. Apparently, Lamy will swap out a nib in like new condition, but you have to send the whole pen to Germany.

You don't really need a gold nib, it's nice to have but a good steel nib can be as nice as almost any gold nib, the founder of Edison Pens wrote an article about steel nibs vs gold nibs here, it's well worth reading.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You don't really need a gold nib, it's nice to have but a good steel nib can be as nice as almost any gold nib, the founder of Edison Pens wrote an article about steel nibs vs gold nibs here, it's well worth reading.

True, just commenting about the steel vs gold because the OP poster was asking about 50-200 range which is where you start seeing gold at. I really like my steel TWSBI fine on the 700r over the gold fine on my Platinum 3776, for instance.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My favorite nibs are still the steel EFs you get in Rotring pens, which people have described as "like writing with a nail" but I love the stiffness and precision. :shrug:

My personal favorite pen that I own is a Newton that had a busted feed, so I took a $20 ArtPen EF and cut the feed down on a lathe until it was a suitable replacement for the Newton's and now I have the best pen in the universe.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 10, 2018

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

MockingQuantum posted:

Two newb questions:

If you're not in a huge rush, I'd probably start by dropping the whole feed in a cup of water for a day or two — that's my go-to for cleaning out stuff (but I tend to let empty pens sit around for a while). The bulb syringe is probably your best bet, though. Also my Preppy experience is "it's kinda a pain in the rear end about inks." Your best bet there might just be "leave it upside down." That's what I do with mine (or at least slightly inclined, like with an eraser or something under the back end). It worked a lot better with noodlers than any of the other inks I tried, for what it's worth.

howe_sam posted:

I don't have a metro to compare, but if I remember right the M200 is maybe a bit shorter? So depending on how long MoraleHazard needs the pen to be, an M400 might be a better bet. That or :siren:posting:siren: Either way, if you can get to an actual pen store and hold them, that'll be a much bigger help.

As for swapping nibs: Pelikan's certainly got you covered.

I was going to ask if anyone did the same sort of customizations Richard used to do to Pelikan nibs, but he suggests indy pen dance, and it seems they have similar custom grinds, from what I remember of his offerings.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
M400 and M200 are the exact same size.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Plus, the M400 costs significantly more than the M200, and once you're in that price range the pilot custom 823 is the better all around value.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

My work buddy says Pen Hospital in NYC does a show in April where you can hold and write with anything. I'm probably going to wait until then to see what I like. Pilot Custom 823 is something I like, so I may spring extra for it if I like writing with it.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Are they really? I could've sworn the 400 was a bit bigger. So it's just from the 400 up where bigger numbers = bigger pen?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Zenostein posted:

Are they really? I could've sworn the 400 was a bit bigger. So it's just from the 400 up where bigger numbers = bigger pen?

Hrm..., this is curious. Went over to Goulet's and did a comparison of 200 - 1000 via this https://www.gouletpens.com/pen-comparison-tool

grack
Jan 10, 2012

^^^^^^^ That's kind of a poor comparison set as the M200 and M400 are clearly offset.

Zenostein posted:

Yes. The M200 and M400 differ in available finishes and nib material (gold vs. steel).

Naming convention for Pelikan M-series pen is

M10XX - Smallest, generally only used for special editions. Plastic piston mechanism
M150 - Slightly larger than the M10XX, limited nib choices and limited body choices. Plastic piston mechanism
M2XX - Slightly larger than the M150, wider array of nib choices in stainless steel. Can use nib units from M4XX pens. Plastic piston mechanism. Pelikan "colour of the year" pens are generally M2XX pens.
M4XX - Same size as the M2XX, comes default with a gold nib, can use nib units from M2XX pens. Plastic piston mechanism
M6XX - Slightly larger than the M4XX, comes default with a gold nib, can use nib units from M2XX and M4XX pens. Plastic piston mechanism.
M8XX - Larger than the M6XX, comes default with a gold nib. Brass piston mechanism
M1XXX- Largest standard model, comes default with a gold nib. Brass piston mechanism

MX0 - Gold plated trim
MX5 - Rhodium plated or stainless steel trim
M0X - Plastic/resin body
M1X - Brass body

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Yeah, I went to check Pelikan's site and it's a goddamn mess, and god help you if you live a decade ago and still use model numbers instead of names, you won't be able to find a drat thing.

But I did learn that they make c/c models now. Those are the P-series.

Also the worst thing about that goulet comparison is definitely "let's use a white pen on a white background."

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

grack posted:

^^^^^^^ That's kind of a poor comparison set as the M200 and M400 are clearly offset.

I didn't say it was the best :), but yea good point to call that out, they did the comparison at the beginning of the section, I guess they had to make a call as to where the did alignment.

Zenostein posted:

Yeah, I went to check Pelikan's site and it's a goddamn mess, and god help you if you live a decade ago and still use model numbers instead of names, you won't be able to find a drat thing.

But I did learn that they make c/c models now. Those are the P-series.

Also the worst thing about that goulet comparison is definitely "let's use a white pen on a white background."

Yea, I went to it for the first time this week wanting to look at 805 offerings. Ended up looking at a dealer site instead.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Yeah, all the dealers still use model numbers, god knows why they insist on the names (and they're separated by finish on top of that). They used to just go by model numbers, once upon a time. But even then, they put the M215 separate from the rest of the M200s.

Why can't everyone just do like Pilot. It's not a particularly flashy site, but it's laid out sensibly.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
The Pelikan website is garbage. Check out Pelikans Perch if you really want more info on Pelikans.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My Pen BBS 309 arrived today.

I like piston fillers and I like № 6 nibs and this has both in a package that isn’t a Noodler’s Konrad and costs less than a Vac 700R.

Filling it is annoying because it wants to disassemble itself—the threads keeping the cap on and the threads actuating the piston have the same orientation.

It fits my hand nicely. This is a subjective factor, but I prefer it to Wing Sung 698 or TWSBI Eco.

The clip is one of the better ones. It’s firm, it doesn’t catch on fabric going on or coming off, and it can open pretty wide.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Platystemon posted:

My Pen BBS 309 arrived today.

I like piston fillers and I like № 6 nibs and this has both in a package that isn’t a Noodler’s Konrad and costs less than a Vac 700R.

Filling it is annoying because it wants to disassemble itself—the threads keeping the cap on and the threads actuating the piston have the same orientation.

It fits my hand nicely. This is a subjective factor, but I prefer it to Wing Sung 698 or TWSBI Eco.

The clip is one of the better ones. It’s firm, it doesn’t catch on fabric going on or coming off, and it can open pretty wide.

Whar pics, whar

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

grack posted:

Whar pics, whar

yaaaaa this

Platystemon posted:

Also can you explain this in a bit more detail? I can visualize a posted cap actuating a piston knob, and I can imagine how unscrewing a capped cap might accidentally loosen a barrel/section. But I'm having a hard time imagining how you could be holding a capped pen by the barrel and accidentally twist the piston knob and the cap at the same time...?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Trustworthy posted:

Also can you explain this in a bit more detail? I can visualize a posted cap actuating a piston knob, and I can imagine how unscrewing a capped cap might accidentally loosen a barrel/section. But I'm having a hard time imagining how you could be holding a capped pen by the barrel and accidentally twist the piston knob and the cap at the same time...?

I misspoke.

It lacks a blind cap. Turning the piston knob anticlockwise has even odds of lengthening the piston or unscrewing the piston assembly from the body of the pen.

I think it’s an issue of relative friction and greasing the piston and its threads (but not the body threads) might stop it.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Platystemon posted:

I misspoke.

It lacks a blind cap. Turning the piston knob anticlockwise has even odds of lengthening the piston or unscrewing the piston assembly from the body of the pen.

I think it’s an issue of relative friction and greasing the piston and its threads (but not the body threads) might stop it.

Ahhh, I get you now. Thanks for clarifying. :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I surveyed my piston pens to see how they disassemble.

TWSBI Eco and Caliarts Ego require a wrench.

Wing Sung 698, 618, and 3008, Lanbitou 3059, Noodler Konrad, and Dollar 717i have exposed portions of the piston assembly between the body of the pen and the knob.

To disassemble these pens, turn the exposed portion of the piston assembly anticlockwise (or lock the piston on the 698/618 and turn it).

If the threads were loose enough that working the knob started to disassemble the pen, I could just pinch the pen between thumb and finger where the ring meets the body to prevent it.

So every other piston pen I have requires a tool to disassemble, has a stationary portion of the piston assembly exposed, or isn’t meant to be disassembled by the user (Reform 1745, Pelikan M200).

Here is a comparison of Noodler’s Konrad and the Pen BBS 309.

Postscriptum: I did take apart the 309 and greased it. It was dry as a bone. It was also apparent that the fit between the threads at the top of the body and the piston assembly is not very tight because of the way water can sit between the threads.

The grease seems to be doing the job. We will see how it holds up in a month after some refills.

I still think it’s an inferior design.

One could argue that the Eco and Ego designs are sleeker because the knob meets the body directly, but if the metal ring is present for decoration as it is on the 309, there is no reason not to make it part of the piston assembly like the Wing Sung 618.

Still, the unplanned disassembly is only a minor annoyance. It doesn’t stop it from being a good pen. I would recommend it over a Wing Sung 698 or Noodler’s Konrad. The Eco is tough competition—a few bucks more and comes with a Jowo nib—but there are aspects I like more about the 309, like the nib size, the clip, and the screw‐off section. It also doesn’t look like a vape.

I calculate its piston stroke as 1.4 ml.

One more thing to note: it takes two and a half turns to uncap. Eco and 698 uncap in slightly over one. I don’t think it’s a big deal since either requires two hands.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 12, 2018

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just ordered a 309 last night :(. Your review is making me think I probably should have just gotten a second eco.

BTW, you weren't that impressed with the Ego, right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t love the Ego.

It’s built great for $10, I just don’t think it’s an inspired design and I don’t like that it takes Pilot nibs.

I would sooner buy a half dozen Lanbitou 3059s or Wing Sung 3008s. They take Lamy nibs instead, and Lamy has more/cheaper/better (IMO) stubs. The build on these pens isn’t as good, but having six times as many is a great consolation.

Regarding the Eco comparison: I suspect that the PenBBS 309 will eventually drop to half the price of the Eco. That’s what happened to the Wing Sung 698.

Right now, to a beginner with a $30 budget, I would recommend an Eco because it gives a better first impression. It comes with a choice of Jowo nib, in a nice box, with a warranty, and it doesn’t require immediately disassembly to apply grease.

I, personally, would keep buying 309s over Ecos because I like № 6 nib options and I do like that it disassembles completely without tools so I can clean it well, as I might after using pigmented inks. I’m buying a purple 309 as soon as they get back in stock.

Some people love the acrylic work. I think it’s more interesting than what TWSBI does with colour, but it doesn’t grab me the same way it grabs some.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 12, 2018

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

How drastic is the difference between a TWSBI Eco and 580? I'm seriously considering picking one up once I have some spare moneys, but I'd like to hear opinions on the two. I know a couple of goons recommended the Eco over the 580 in the past, but I wasn't always clear on the reasoning.

For me, I mostly want to try out a TWSBI, want a piston-filler with pretty good capacity, and want a nice, juicy nib. The only thing drawing me to the 580 is the ease of switching nibs, since I'm undecided on whether I want a broad or a stub, but that's the only thing making me lean one way or the other.

Either way, I'm probably going to wait until March since I saw TWSBI tweeted about putting out a couple of new "brand new pens" around then. I'm also holding out for a 580AL color I like better, since it seems like the aluminum furnishings might be worth the jump for me (aesthetically, mostly)

...alternately, if there's a smoother, more buttery-writing pen that I could get in that $30-60 range I'd love to hear about it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Swapping nibs in an Eco is no big deal. It’s a friction fit, like most pens, so just grasp it and pull.

You may have to pull the new nib from a tight nib assembly. That’s the catch.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

MoraleHazard posted:

My work buddy says Pen Hospital in NYC does a show in April where you can hold and write with anything

They'll let you do that any old day, just head on down when they're open and ask if you can try out X or Y. I mean, I haven't tried it with much but they've let me sample a Waterman Carene, Sheaffer Taranis and 300, and a vintage Vacumatic.

Meanwhile there's a Monteverde Invincia with an orange cap, but it's a stub nib. Is there a place that sells similar matte F or EF nibs? At $54 it's almost reasonably priced, but with nib factored in, I do not know.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

MockingQuantum posted:

How drastic is the difference between a TWSBI Eco and 580? I'm seriously considering picking one up once I have some spare moneys, but I'd like to hear opinions on the two. I know a couple of goons recommended the Eco over the 580 in the past, but I wasn't always clear on the reasoning.

I prefer the 580 by a country mile, just because of how much sturdier it feels in my hand. Sometimes I wonder what bottom-of-the-backpack bullshit people are getting up to when they talk about cracking them.

My 580 has become a beloved part of my pen collection--one of my all-time favorites--whereas the Eco is "just" an excellent budget pen that sits in the bottom drawer alongside the Wing Sung 698s.

FWIW though I'm probably in the minority with these opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

I prefer the 580 by a country mile, just because of how much sturdier it feels in my hand. Sometimes I wonder what bottom-of-the-backpack bullshit people are getting up to when they talk about cracking them.

My 580 has become a beloved part of my pen collection--one of my all-time favorites--whereas the Eco is "just" an excellent budget pen that sits in the bottom drawer alongside the Wing Sung 698s.

FWIW though I'm probably in the minority with these opinions.

You're right, because the correct answer is "They're both made by TWSBI and thus both suck and will run up your phone bill making calls to phone sex hotlines"