Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Full on loving clownball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

England really should be out of sight by now, I'm worried these stupid penalties are going to cost us.

The defence is starting to fall apart a bit, and Wales are getting over the gainline. They really haven’t done anything in the second half, like they scored two tries and went “right, job done.”

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Lmao Wales

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

What a poo poo finish.

Best he could do, Welsh players are much slower than the English.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Oh Wales! Great tackle by Underhill. Anscombe at 10 has been playing really well, he's making things happen so far.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Commentators mentioning the tackle, rather than the most half assed, Sunday school "finish" I've ever seen

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Brony Hunter posted:

Commentators mentioning the tackle, rather than the most half assed, Sunday school "finish" I've ever seen

Israel Dagg once got berated by McCaw, Mealamu, and after the match, Graham Henry despite scoring the winning try in a test match for a poor finish. I just wonder what they’d have said then.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's weird seeing Wigglesworth on the field. I thought he was done.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Some poo poo tackling on show this game. I expect better from these fat babies.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

calculated apparently

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Sets up an interesting final 3 mins but I don't see Wales scoring a try.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

sleep with the vicious posted:

Sets up an interesting final 3 mins but I don't see Wales scoring a try.

Yep.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Jeez Wigglesworth almost threw that past Farrell

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Urgh

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

What’s even the point of bringing north on if you don’t set up the play so that a game winning try can only come at the price of his brain

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm particularly enjoying the salt from Welsh fans about how Anscombe got to the ball first so it should have been a try, ignoring the fact that that wasn't the reason it wasn't given.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm particularly enjoying the salt from Welsh fans about how Anscombe got to the ball first so it should have been a try, ignoring the fact that that wasn't the reason it wasn't given.

Why wasn't it given?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
The TMO ruled that Anscombe didn't have full control of the ball.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

Ah right, I missed the reason during the game. Woodward and Wilkinson thought it was a try as well so i did wonder why it wasn't given.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The 2nd half of the England v Wales match was so unbelievably loving boring.

e: I mean the whole match was pretty shite, but particularly the 2nd half. Even when Wales got within 1 score I just couldn't manage to give a poo poo.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The Welsh player didn't have enough control of the ball for it to be grounding (according to the TMO).

Julio Cruz posted:

Which was bizarre as he only needed downward pressure not full control. You would have thought a qualified referee would have realised that.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Did he, though? He brushed the ball, but how much pressure was there?

Besides, Wales had plenty of opportunity on attack and that was early enough in the test to probably have no significant impact on the game.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

Nah mate he said ‘no clear grounding’ because the laws don’t say you have to have control

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Did he, though. He brushed the ball, but how much pressure was there?

The laws also don’t say you need downward pressure any more.
I’d say it was a 50 50 call but control and downward pressure aren’t a thing

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Vagabundo posted:

Did he, though. He brushed the ball, but how much pressure was there?

I'm biased, but I thought he clearly pressed down with his fingertips.

Vagabundo posted:

Besides, Wales had plenty of opportunity on attack and that was early enough in the test to probably have no significant impact on the game.

Yes, exactly this We were lucky not to get lose by more. I felt after 20 minutes we were going to get pumped.

bigfoot again posted:

The laws also don’t say you need downward pressure any more.
I’d say it was a 50 50 call but control and downward pressure aren’t a thing

You have to press down. Explicitly stated in the laws.

IRB law 21.1 posted:

The ball can be grounded in in-goal:

By holding it and touching the ground with it; or

By pressing down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck.

stavros880 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 10, 2018

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Did he, though? He brushed the ball, but how much pressure was there?

Yeah, this is why I'm not enraged by the decision. Wales still had sixty odd minutes to score more points. They didn't, they didn't really deserve to win.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Christ that was a painful match to watch, neither of those sides are going to beat Ireland

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

England looked really lethargic, and seemed to just go through the motions on defence for much of the game once they scored a couple of early tries. They were also clearly out of gas at the end of the game, as they started to fall off of tackles and the Welsh one-off runners were easily getting over the advantage line.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

Christ that was a painful match to watch, neither of those sides are going to beat Ireland

Well not if they play like that but England can and will play a lot better.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I would have given it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I wouldn't have.

https://streamable.com/15kee

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I think that's a try. Just barely.

O-Unit
Oct 22, 2005

To me it looks like the Welshman slaps the ball down with his fingers from a good few inches above the ground, and it’s only the English player’s hand on top of the ball that prevents it from spilling forward*. Had it not been for the English player it would have been a Welsh knock-on. The English player is the one with control of the ball (or more control than the Welsh player at least), and is the one who applies the positive downward pressure necessary to keep the ball on the ground A.K.A. ‘grounded’.

So given that it’s not a clearly grounded try, I’d personally give the benefit of the doubt to the English in this case.

Caveats: I’m a filthy English myself and not an international level rugby referee!

Got me thinking what would happen in a hypothetical situation where the ball has travelled across the scoreline, and two competing players both get a hand physically touching the ball, and both players ground that ball simultaniously with equal amounts of positive downward pressure?

Edit: on a second look the ball slides forward out the Welsh players’ hand anyway, so any downward pressure he might have been applying to the ball is questionable.

O-Unit fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 11, 2018

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ollie74656 posted:

Got me thinking what would happen in a hypothetical situation where the ball has travelled across the scoreline, and two competing players both get a hand physically touching the ball, and both players ground that ball simultaniously with equal amounts of positive downward pressure?

First one to get there?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

First one to get there?

Pretty sure it's a 5 meter scrum. This happens every year.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm going to link it because of size but here's a picture of the grounding/not grounding. It probably wouldn't have been given if we didn't have TMOs I'm not that worried about it not being given even as a Wales supporter.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Also even if it was a try it was flukey as poo poo.

I’m more concerned that Wales were fitter than England, which not many teams manage

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
France - Scotland has sped off at a rate of knots. Both trying a lot, Scotland playing from their 22, France offloading constantly, all within three minutes.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Very Scotland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'd forgotten this game was on. Thank you for reminding me.