Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Is UK even going to the NCAA tournament at this rate? I'm shook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
LOL that Kansas is Kentucky's worst loss.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

tadashi posted:

They really shouldn’t. They bad this year. Even when they win it’s ugly AF to watch

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

tadashi posted:

I know Wisconsin isn't. :nutshot:

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Just lol @ unc with 7 losses and ranked with a 1/3 of the season left.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
There just aren't many good teams this year, in the power conferences or the mid-majors. You could have a 48-team tournament and still not lose much quality.

Should make for a pretty great opening weekend of the NCAAT but the Final Four will be rear end unless a couple of the 1 seeds survive. I'll take that trade.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
This may be a long article worth reading:

https://twitter.com/JosephNardone/status/961263902817480709

I'm not certain this league will help HBCU's as much as it says, but it can't hurt, right?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
if they can beat VT this weekend—never a guarantee—UVA will be #1 next week.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
St. John's... good?
https://twitter.com/marchmadness/status/961422425324957696

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

When did St. John's learn to play Basketball?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
February the 1st, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As a humble, non posting, but super excited St John's fan I want to say they totally know how to play basketball in the fall and I had really high hopes that they'd be a bubble team with the ability to knock off top teams on good nights.

Then they just forgot how to play basketball in the final 10 minutes for a really, really long time.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I'd love for St. John's to keep winning to make Mizzou's neutral court victory look better.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Good on Chris Mullin — St. John's has beaten three of NCAA's best basketball teams (Duke, Nova, Nebraska)

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
St. Johns is gonna lose a bunch more times, somehow put together a miracle tourney run, get in as a 16 seed and be the first to knock off a 1 seed.

Knowing my luck, that'd be Tech.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Real Name Grover posted:

Good on Chris Mullin — St. John's has beaten three of NCAA's best basketball teams (Duke, Nova, Nebraska)

And Butler has beaten St. Johns and Nova

So Butler > Duke

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

pubic works project posted:

And Butler has beaten St. Johns and Nova

So Butler > Duke

Please make this retroactive to 2010 tia

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Poque posted:

Please make this retroactive to 2010 tia

I've submitted all the paperwork, friend.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Evansville beat Butler when they almost won the Nat'l Championship so Evansville is the eternal champ, sorry.

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link

tadashi posted:

Absolutely yes. Definitely. Probably. Maybe. There's a chance.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Apparently just about all of Texas Tech has the flu right now. Evans and Gray, at least, were puking at halftime and Beard is for sure sick. Rough timing with a tough road game to KSU and a short turnaround for the Tuesday OU game.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

elentar posted:

if they can beat VT this weekend—never a guarantee—UVA will be #1 next week.
I will cry after the VT game either way. Cry because I finally get to see them be #1, or cry because the universe got me this close to it only to rip it away.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Oof:

https://twitter.com/JeffEisenberg/status/961724151105970182

Pastner is countersuing for defamation.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I will cry after the VT game either way. Cry because I finally get to see them be #1, or cry because the universe got me this close to it only to rip it away.

The last time UVA was #1 was in 1982, right before the Chaminade game. They were interviewing one of the players on that team, I somehow didn't know that immediately before that game, they had first beaten Patrick Ewing's Georgetown on the East Coast, then traveled to Tokyo to win a tournament against Utah and Phi Slamma Jamma-era Houston. Chaminade was an afterthought after they couldn't work out a time to play Hawaii.

elentar fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 8, 2018

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Jesus, what a sack of poo poo.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
With the number of false accusations in colleges, and the irrational ease of initiating title IX investigations, I hope we can get back to presuming the innocence of those accused of crime.

I don't know what happened and I'd like to hear both sides of the story before passing judgement.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

Jesus, what a sack of poo poo.

Reserve judgement on this one.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If we beat VT, I fully expect to die before the polls come out.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

elentar posted:

The last time UVA was #1 was in 1982, right before the Chaminade game. They were interviewing one of the players on that team, I somehow didn't know that immediately before that game, they had first beaten Patrick Ewing's Georgetown on the East Coast, then traveled to Tokyo to win a tournament against Utah and Phi Slamma Jamma-era Houston. Chaminade was an afterthought after they couldn't work out a time to play Hawaii.

paperchaseguy posted:

If we beat VT, I fully expect to die before the polls come out.
I was weeks old for the 1982 #1 ranking. And the 1990 #1 ranking in football was a sham - everyone else had lost, we hadn't, so we're #1 by process of elimination. Actual #1 teams don't finish 8-4. But this is an actual honest to god #1 team in one of the two sports that people notice, for the only team I actually care about. I am freaking out. I finally know how all those Kentucky and Duke fans feel.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

I can't decide if this Duke team is going to figure things out and destroy everyone in March or just get bounced by a 15 seed.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I was weeks old for the 1982 #1 ranking. And the 1990 #1 ranking in football was a sham - everyone else had lost, we hadn't, so we're #1 by process of elimination. Actual #1 teams don't finish 8-4. But this is an actual honest to god #1 team in one of the two sports that people notice, for the only team I actually care about. I am freaking out. I finally know how all those Kentucky and Duke fans feel.

Winning the CWS felt like a pretty big deal, though I'm sure I overestimate general awareness of college baseball. Helped that I taught or tutored several on that team.

Same with this one, actually; very happy personally for several of the players this season, hope they can push on from here.

kiimo posted:

Reserve judgement on this one.

Yeah, it's awful no matter what though, since if the allegation is false it's essentially an attempt at blackmail or just grudgefucking by his old bagman, whose girlfriend is the complainant here.

elentar fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 9, 2018

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Tennessee has won 6 in a row and just beat Kentucky to complete a sweep and only moved up a spot.

:cmon:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
If Tennessee takes care of Alabama tomorrow I really don't see another loss on their schedule. Maybe @ MSU at the end of this month because it's an away game. Florida is at home, maybe there if the team has an off night. Could easy see a 24-6 or 25-5 record when all is said and done, which is insane for UT basketball. Rick Barnes for COTY.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Demon Of The Fall posted:

If Tennessee takes care of Alabama tomorrow I really don't see another loss on their schedule. Maybe @ MSU at the end of this month because it's an away game. Florida is at home, maybe there if the team has an off night. Could easy see a 24-6 or 25-5 record when all is said and done, which is insane for UT basketball. Rick Barnes for COTY.

Don’t forget about the SEC championship

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
News: If Virginia wins today they will be ranked #1 for the first time since 1982

Views: Oh god I’m gonna throw up

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

News: If Virginia wins today they will be ranked #1 for the first time since 1982

They've bloody well earned it.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

South Carolina is really, really loving bad this year. Knew it would be a down season after losing some key players from our Final Four run, but that's really been exacerbated by a number of things: a) PJ Dozier went to the NBA too early b) Rah Felder got in trouble and can't play this season, which is brutal since he was a promising young role player on last year's squad c) Our grad transfer players that could've helped fill gaps haven't really panned out d) We've had injury issues on top of everything else. This could've been a fringe NCAAT/firm NIT team but I don't see any postseason in the cards for this group. Just yikes all around.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

According to an article I just read, if they win today they "could" be ranked #1. I thought that was cute. Villanova might pick up a few #1 votes depending on how this Butler game finishes out, but I think even that is a little charitable.

But yeah, I'm legitimately nervous.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

According to an article I just read, if they win today they "could" be ranked #1. I thought that was cute. Villanova might pick up a few #1 votes depending on how this Butler game finishes out, but I think even that is a little charitable.

But yeah, I'm legitimately nervous.

There will be some Big Ten hack that gives Michigan St. a #1 vote if they win. But I can't imagine a scenario in which UVA wins and doesn't take over #1.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i hate maryland

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Well, uh

conference championship streak's dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007