Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Legend of Dungeon. Just can't get enough of that name. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

STRAFE. I want to see you shoot some poo poo.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Last Transmission posted:

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Legend of Dungeon. I love old fantasy style beat-em-ups.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I found Strafe to be kinda blahhhhhhhhh.

Legend of Dungeon sounds cool as hell.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Kinda surprised you didn't take that punchthrough upgrade, sounds like it'd be broken as hell with the black hole.

Just Get Through sounds interesting.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Moon Hunters looked like a half of very cool game. Art's pretty, actual combat... underwhelming.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

STRAFE is some good fun. I'm a railgun man 100%. Aiming and movement are super important. The bonus areas are amazing and/or very technical depending on who you are. Do the jump one.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Do Nuclear Throne or Monolith instead of what I previously said.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

NHO posted:

Moon Hunters looked like a half of very cool game. Art's pretty, actual combat... underwhelming.

Yeah, it's really disappointing. The art and concept are so neat and then the combat is just sort of there.

Looking up STRAFE I'm really wishing Immortal Redneck was up instead, but not quite bad enough to change my vote.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm in favor of Legend of Dungeon.

Moon Hunters seems like it's designed to play and replay quickly, so there's that in its favor. I can forgive simple mechanics if you're not supposed to spend a lot of time developing them.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Strafe (1/2)

get low get low
move side to side

:siren: GAMESSSS :siren:
Pick one!

Eldritch
Eldritch is a first-person action game inspired by roguelikes, immersive sims, and H. P. Lovecraft.Unearth ancient secrets and find your way to freedom!Sneak, fight, and explore strange worlds!Invoke mystical powers to augment your play style!Randomly generated levels provide fresh

Rogue Islands
Rogue Islands is a fast-paced, first-person shooter with magic & monsters set in a procedural fantasy wilderness. Explore forests, deserts, caves and mountains. Gain in power as you eradicate a demonic horde and inch closer to the Lords of Torment.

Blazing Beaks
Birds with guns are blazing the way out through the piles of mutants, monsters and creepy creatures to stop the invasion. Gathering items and artefacts is essential to survive in this fast-paced colorful roguelite. Lots of mysteries to unravel, secrets to find and levels to explore.

OvermanXAN
Nov 14, 2014
Blazing Beaks sounds rad. I recall it being reminiscent of Nuclear Throne, which is a pretty good sign. Having seen Eldritch before, it's not bad, but I don't think it's really great video fodder. It's a bit slow paced.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Rogue Islands.

Eldritch is a really mediocre game, the only thing I remember about it is your hands look like those things they put on the end of drumsticks in old cartoons.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Blazing Beaks sounds like it has the potential to either be great or a trainwreck, and nothing in between.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Blazing Beaks become the gunburb you were meant to be.
Man Strafe reminds me of Shogo for some reason, probably the color palette or something.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 29, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You'd think adding roguelike features to Doom 4's gameplay would be an easy undertaking but strafe seems to want the cramped hallways of modern shooters but with the (sorta) gameplay of arena shooters. it doesn't try to reconcile the advancements of the genre with it's stated objective.

e: IMO it's a lot more Doom 3 with RL features than anything else.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 29, 2018

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I found Strafe way too hard to track enemies, everything blurred into the background too much and nothing really felt that good to shoot.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Strafe (2/2)

gently caress

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Party Bug posted:

I'm afraid I run out of ammo
Says he as he reflexively reloads machinegun after firing one bullet, wasting remaining 59 in the magazine.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Your ammo probably would have lasted longer if you'd noticed that every time you reload you throw the rest of the 40-odd bullets in the current magazine away. :v: Of course even DOOM didn't have magazine tracking so it's more STRAFE's fault for not emphasizing that little feature.

e: Great minds etc. etc. On another note this sort of seemingly minor but actually strategy-impactful change to gameplay more than anything else can be attributed to STRAFE ultimately being a failure - there's potentially a decent game there and it got plenty of love, but it doesn't know what kind of oldschool FPS it wants to be and just threw in features that don't work together making a huge mess of the experience.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 3, 2018

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
Yeah I think at some point halfway through I realized they make you track ammo. But I fuckin love to press R.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
Plans got cancelled so I'm streaming some Blazing Beaks practice runs if you want the hot sneak peek at this loving bird game.

https://www.twitch.tv/pbug/

rip

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 6, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Your ammo probably would have lasted longer if you'd noticed that every time you reload you throw the rest of the 40-odd bullets in the current magazine away. :v: Of course even DOOM didn't have magazine tracking so it's more STRAFE's fault for not emphasizing that little feature.

e: Great minds etc. etc. On another note this sort of seemingly minor but actually strategy-impactful change to gameplay more than anything else can be attributed to STRAFE ultimately being a failure - there's potentially a decent game there and it got plenty of love, but it doesn't know what kind of oldschool FPS it wants to be and just threw in features that don't work together making a huge mess of the experience.

Yeah, it seems like tracking ammo in one-reload increments was a way to give you a preposterous amount of ammo without throwing up a big number on screen, but then you have to bother not only with reloads but with reload tracking, neither of which featured that heavily in your pixelated-era FPSes, to my recollection. Maybe if you had no reload animation but still had the ammo counter?

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Blazing Beaks

invisible frogs :frogout:

:siren: DEMOCRACY HAS FAILED :siren:

Next update is going to be Heat Signature. After that we'll go back to voting as per usual.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Please remember to pay attention to the item descriptions in Heat Signature, they are amazing.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

As I said on the stream, I am incredibly sorry for voting for that. I didn't realize it'd be that big of a trainwreck. :shobon:

Also something he mentioned on the stream but not in the video: when you get to level 3, enemies start doing 2 hearts of damage for some reason. As though the beamos and rock assholes aren't bullshit enough, you can suddenly be two-shot by literally anything.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Dang that's short. I figured there'd be at least one if not two more areas than that you just... er, tastefully avoided spoiling on stream. :v:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Party Bug posted:

Blazing Beaks

invisible frogs :frogout:

:siren: DEMOCRACY HAS FAILED :siren:

Next update is going to be Heat Signature. After that we'll go back to voting as per usual.

I like the idea if the thread picks a bad game that you pick whatever you want for a round. And that game seems a bit simple. I hope it gets way more than 4 levels.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Some of the other weird ones have at least been interesting, but that game was about as bog standard and boring as a "twin-stick shooter rogue-lite" can get.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
pbug you are good at video games

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Blazing Beaks was profoundly boring but you did a real good job of showing it off. Also dang, I wish I were that good at video games.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, have fun with Heat Signature. It's sounded pretty promising.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Heat Signature

This game has some pretty good random name generating. Yesterday I killed a man called Taiwan Estaban.

:siren: DEMOCRACY REINSTATED :siren:

Ascendant
Ascendant is the unforgiving beat 'em up in which you are a demigod invading a world controlled by your rivals. Choose your fate by discovering Blessings, equipping mighty weapons and spells, and learning to survive in this brutal realm. Only the most impressive warriors have a chance of victory.

Heart & Slash
Fight as Heart, an innocent robot fighting to escape the grip of mindless machines in a future where humans are no more. A fast-paced 3D brawler with roguelike elements set in a colorful yet desolated world.

Exanima
Explore, fight, survive and unravel mysteries in this unique and unforgiving 3D isometric RPG set in an original dark, low fantasy world. Exanima's exceptional attention to detail and realistic simulation of all things aim to provide a deeply immersive and dynamic gameplay experience.

mediocrity here we come

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Those games sound awesome! How bad could they be? :ohdear:

Exanima, please!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Ascendant because it sounds the most generic.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I remember being intrigued by Exanima in a preview article somewhere and never hearing about it again. Its attempt to simulate everything probably resulted in a lot of work wasted not making a fun and bug-free experience, and it's probably lacking in any sort of joy. ExcemaExanima, please!

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Exanima seems pretty interesting but I'm going to vote for Heart&Slash.