Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Office Pig posted:

it's pretty vulgar how scummy you can get so long as you have the obama name riding with you

Barack Obama is a scumbag 🐕

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Generalizing generations is kind of arbitrary but there are clear differences in age groups that bear out with polling etc. I'm not sure just completely ignoring that is worthwhile. Also chief keef is definitely a millennial

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Karl Barks posted:

Generalizing generations is kind of arbitrary but there are clear differences in age groups that bear out with polling etc. I'm not sure just completely ignoring that is worthwhile.

The most american thing to do is to break down complex issues into a yes or no. Everything is either a "truth source" which is 100% correct, or it is a "untruth source" which is utterly 0% correct. There exist nothing in the middle: ever. Basically at this point critical thinking doesn't exist in any form what so ever in the national discourse.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TomPerez/status/962425335076806656

while us dems will

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

https://twitter.com/MichaelJMorell/status/962288831067193344

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

:ironicat: except the eyes the eyes are bleeding

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

cuck

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"...and indeed killed several myself."

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

punk rebel ecks posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/962398269593784321

Tell me, how does it feel to be TRUMP supporters supposedly "leftist" goons? :smuggo:

I love my Thicc President

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
He's evolved to half truths. The terror of a politically competent Trump is profound

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
generational analysis is reactionary and useless as a he said non-dialectishly

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

in this instance, us dems will institute the lawsuit against McDonalds to hold the company accountable for violating the rights of its low-wage employees

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Al! posted:

im in the top 5% of my generation, guess the guillotines are coming any second now

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

in this instance, us dems will institute the lawsuit against McDonalds to hold the company accountable for violating the rights of its low-wage employees

hahahahahahahahahahahhaahaahahahahahahahahahah

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
lol millennials are broke

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

anime was right posted:

lol millennials are broke

Plz don't generalize

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Al! posted:

according to this chart every single household above age 54 has some worth at bare minimum

the lowest and second quintile of under-25 is fully negative net worth

third quintile is split between negative and barely positive

fourth quintile tops out at about 30k

even the richest millennials don't crack 200k

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

anime was right posted:

im in the top 5% of my generation, guess the guillotines are coming any second now

congrats on getting the best scraps

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

im guessing people who think blaming boomers (as a shorthand) for hoarding all the wealth is reactionary are probably people who think we need a one size fits all gulag solution

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

comedyblissoption posted:

To "reform" the dems would mean literally throwing out everyone in the current democratic party such that it's basically a brand new party.

Yeah, do that. It's literally that or make a new party. I'm rooting for you guys and lolling at the Dems in the mean time.

I think yknow its probably more likely on balance that America continues to be stupid and mad but change is possible. America is a young-rear end country and countries change.

Also your opponents are the loving Democrats lol, they're insanely incompetent and unpopular
Imagine being cowed by the Dems lmao

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Join the DSA, support folk primarying bad Dems in your area and if you can be bothered go out and do poo poo but if not just stay at home and wank, it's not super hard.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

lol of course the pay is a single, $1,500 stipend for 4 months' worth of 40 hour weeks

Right? That was the first thing I noticed. If the internship is 16 weeks long that comes out to a whopping $2.34/hour.

That's all the more amusing when they actually specify that:

quote:

We are looking for interns who have excellent time management and organizational skills, are strong writers and researchers, and are eager to work in a fast-paced office environment. Interns will play a key role in providing departments at the Obama Foundation with the administrative, logistical, and operational assistance needed to execute their work.

when labor dept. internship rules specify that internships require determining:

quote:

The extent to which the intern and the employer clearly understand that there is no expectation of compensation. Any promise of compensation, express or implied, suggests that the intern is an employee—and vice versa.

The extent to which the internship provides training that would be similar to that which would be given in an educational environment, including the clinical and other hands-on training provided by educational institutions.

The extent to which the internship is tied to the intern’s formal education program by integrated coursework or the receipt of academic credit.

The extent to which the internship accommodates the intern’s academic commitments by corresponding to the academic calendar.

The extent to which the internship’s duration is limited to the period in which the internship provides the intern with beneficial learning.

The extent to which the intern’s work complements, rather than displaces, the work of paid employees while providing significant educational benefits to the intern.

The extent to which the intern and the employer understand that the internship is conducted without entitlement to a paid job at the conclusion of the internship.

(btw, did Perez ever get around to paying DNC interns, or is that still a "work in progress" by the country's former labor dept. head?)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Al! posted:

im guessing people who think blaming boomers (as a shorthand) for hoarding all the wealth is reactionary are probably people who think we need a one size fits all gulag solution

I'm guessing most of them have bought into the conservative campaign over several decades to paint boomers as greedy geezers.

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 23:28 on Feb 10, 2018

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
State republicans in PA submitted a new congressional map and it’s umm....well, better.

If it gets passed then pa-7 has a good chance to flip (that’s soul mate pat meehans district) and maybe pa-8 if dems can get a half decent candidate.

http://www.politicspa.com/gop-releases-redrawn-maps/86377/

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I looked up the DNC to see about interns and they, too, are providing "stipends" for which you have to apply only after being accepted for an internship position.

quote:

Interning at the DNC is a unique opportunity for hardworking, passionate future leaders to gain real life, hands-on experience in Democratic politics, strengthen their understanding of the political process and prepare for future political opportunities. It's also a great way to form lasting connections and memories. A limited number of stipends are available for full- and part-time interns. Stipends are granted based on a simple application – interns will have the opportunity to apply after accepting an offer.

In addition to typical intern duties you will have the chance to volunteer in community outreach projects and grassroots organizing, assist at DNC functions, take tours across Washington, D.C., and attend weekly lunches hosted by DNC staff. Each department offers you a unique learning experience — learn more about each department here.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Al! posted:

Consolidate and means test all gulags

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nopantsjack posted:

Join the DSA, support folk primarying bad Dems in your area and if you can be bothered go out and do poo poo but if not just stay at home and wank, it's not super hard.

There's a good reason why bad dems are so desperate to keep DSA/progressives off the primary ballot.

They don't want real competition.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yinlock posted:

hahahahahahahahahahahhaahaahahahahahahahahahah

I mean it's literally a Democratic-NLRB instituted lawsuit that the now-Republican NLRB is seeking to end but whatever have fun with that

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/962451111989956609

seems plausible?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Someone tell yglesias to unblock me

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

ironic that the employee retaliation is about the fight for $15, when establishment dems themselves oppose the fight for $15 and throw their money & institutional weight behind candidates who oppose it.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

establishment dems part 1: HOW DARE MCDONALD'S RETALIATE AGAINST WORKERS ADVOCATING FOR THE FIGHT FOR $15

establishment dems part 2: HOW DARE THAT DSA CANDIDATE WANTS FIGHT FOR $15 TO BE A LITMUS TEST

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Our progressive challenger to Carper officially announced today at a big event in Wilmington. Carper's already sending emails fundraising off the fact that he has a new challenger. We're going to kick his :decorum: rear end, and replace him with someone who's pro-universal health care and pro-$15 minimum wage.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the more i think about it, the more i believe the democrats are best represented by the Russian farmer in that one zizek joke

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willa Rogers posted:

ironic that the employee retaliation is about the fight for $15, when establishment dems themselves oppose the fight for $15 and throw their money & institutional weight behind candidates who oppose it.

the lawsuit itself is about severing the franchisor-franchisee distinction when it comes to labor law; which is independently a big deal even in a world with a $15 minimum wage

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

establishment dems part 1: HOW DARE MCDONALD'S RETALIATE AGAINST WORKERS ADVOCATING FOR THE FIGHT FOR $15

establishment dems part 2: HOW DARE THAT DSA CANDIDATE WANTS FIGHT FOR $15 TO BE A LITMUS TEST

watching the controlled oppositions own political theater blow up in their face is a pleasure

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
dreamers: how can you all claim that this is the best you can do when you've done nothing
dems: that's inaccurate and naive, we made sure Mitch and Ryan's balls are loaded with dust

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the more i think about it, the more i believe the democrats are best represented by the Russian farmer in that one zizek joke

the farmer is poor though

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

primary bad dems while jacking off, be an overachiever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

the farmer is poor though

fair point

• Locked thread