Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Well, on the plus side, "everything they had" wasn't very much at all!

A $5,000 boat + $5,000 in repairs/upgrades + whatever belongings they had on the boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A $5,000 boat + $5,000 in repairs/upgrades + whatever belongings they had on the boat.

Came here to post that. I almost felt bad until I realized that "everything they had" could be repurchased with a couple of part time jobs in 4 months.

"Learned to sail in a couple days of a trip" and thinking this could be something they live on and take to the Caribbean is insane. They are VERY fortunate their ineptitude caught up with them so close to shore.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elysium posted:

http://www.tampabay.com/sold-everything-to-sail-the-world-boat-sank-next-day

Sell everything, buy a boat, sail the world! Insurance? Who needs that! What could go wrong...

shiprekt

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I found this reddit post regarding treating MLMs hilarious:

quote:

MLM's come into my work all the time trying to poach people. Believe it or not, they don't even change up their "template" in real life conversations. It's absolutely pathetic. We laugh at how transparent they are. We've even had multiple in the same night where you know they just got out of a meeting or something. It's pretty creepy because they remind me of videogame NPC's or Westworld robots or something because of the limited dialogue options.

They always show up overdressed in ill fitting suits and brag about some expensive purchase. They pretend they need help finding an item to buy but they never have a cart. They always open with some fake compliment. Usually it's just "I like your shoes!" then it's "So you go to school? How long have you worked here? Do you like it here? Well are you keeping your options open?"

I've done everything from shut them down as soon as they say they like my shoes to calling security to boot them and their tacky suits, to pretending to be interested and then making them drive out to some remote Starbucks because "I'd like to know more!" and then ghosting them.
https://www.reddit.com/r/cringepics/comments/7wfnqu/mlm_forgot_to_change_her_recruiting_template/du0b961/

Hahahaha

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Or up to date charts or half decent navigation training.

Piloting by buoys, using a spotlight in fog. God drat. :eng99:
Or don't sail at night in an unfamiliar location when you're a novice:

quote:

It was about 8:45 p.m. when they sailed into a new port, navigating a channel they had never sailed before, in the dark, fog rolling in.

and to add insult to injury:

quote:

In fact, the Coast Guard told the couple they need to get their boat out of there. It could cost up to $10,000 to remove and store it. They have about $90.
JFC

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
What was the plan for food with that $90? Catch fish? Get scurvy? Eat the pug?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Elysium posted:

Sell everything, buy a boat, sail the world! Insurance? Who needs that! What could go wrong...

quote:

The 26-year-old was from Cocoa Beach with a knack for selling. Their boss flew him to Philadelphia. They were friends at first, then they became more. He was sent to Breckinridge, Colo., to market timeshares.

The BWMer became the BWMee

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

This was posted in another thread but I feel like it belongs here.

nerd plus rage posted:

quote:

Tax advice for my sister please?
Well that doesn't sound very interesting

quote:

My little sister worked at a small restaurant in a very small town. They paid her under the table, and refused to take any taxes out of her checks.
Weird. Maybe the IRS is coming after her or something, that would suck.

quote:

Today, they called her up and presented her with this:
Ooh, I wonder what it is? Legal documents?

quote:

:hmbol: holy poo poo

link because this could go some exciting places

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That must have been some kinda poo poo boat. I’m no boat expert but I’ve sailed a shitload with friends that are quite experienced.

I don’t think my friends would take that boat anywhere near open water. Most boats you take out there, 30+ feet, cost upwards of 25k in just “okay” condition.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Known Lecher posted:

This was posted in another thread but I feel like it belongs here.

Well that doesn't sound very interesting

Weird. Maybe the IRS is coming after her or something, that would suck.

Ooh, I wonder what it is? Legal documents?

:hmbol: holy poo poo

link because this could go some exciting places

:aaaaa:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Dick Nipples posted:

That must have been some kinda poo poo boat. I’m no boat expert but I’ve sailed a shitload with friends that are quite experienced.

I don’t think my friends would take that boat anywhere near open water. Most boats you take out there, 30+ feet, cost upwards of 25k in just “okay” condition.

It sank because they crashed it.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Was in the car this morning and looked over to the right. The woman in the next lane was steering with an elbow, talking on her phone with one hand and holding her credit card in the other (and reading from it).

I certainly don’t know that she was buying something bwm but this is a definite bad thing to do with money so I figured goons would get a kick out of it

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Elephanthead posted:

Sailboats in good condition don't usually just lose their keel and capsize, unless you run into the rocks at ludicrous speed.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Spokes posted:

Was in the car this morning and looked over to the right. The woman in the next lane was steering with an elbow, talking on her phone with one hand and holding her credit card in the other (and reading from it).

I certainly don’t know that she was buying something bwm but this is a definite bad thing to do with money so I figured goons would get a kick out of it

Only counts if she crashed said car (quite likely) with no insurance, and owing $200,000 on it after rolling the debt over buying the new year's model on 100% credit every year for the past seven.

And the credit card was being read out to pay for MLM poo poo.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Spokes posted:

Hopefully buying her lol-la-rue starter package

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

FrozenVent posted:

Sailboats in good condition don't usually just lose their keel and capsize, unless you run into the rocks at ludicrous speed.

What if you go into 8ft of water?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Depends on your draft, but again the keel shouldn't just snap off.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Elephanthead posted:

Right - I just meant regardless of the idiocy of the steering/operation of the boat, I’m real skeptical of a $5k boat with $5k of repairs.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's amazing to me that apparently timeshares are BWM on both the buyer and seller side. Just broke people cheating other broke people.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Apparently Coinbase is processing their credit/debit cards as cash advances now. Can't wait for those people using credit cards to realize they're paying like 26% APR accrued daily until its paid down and the huge influx of idiots I'm gonna have to explain cash advance charges to.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Solice Kirsk posted:

Can't wait for those people using credit cards
The good news is a bunch of credit cards just stopped allowing their cards to be used for bitcoin transactions! :rip: the morons using other cards to buy coins, though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Apparently Coinbase is processing their credit/debit cards as cash advances now. Can't wait for those people using credit cards to realize they're paying like 26% APR accrued daily until its paid down and the huge influx of idiots I'm gonna have to explain cash advance charges to.

Would you say it's a :zaurg:?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Kind of the sad side of BWM. On my Facebook there is someone selling off 700 items of LuLaRoe as a going out of business sale. She must have sunk $15,000 in that.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Elysium posted:

Alternatively this documentary is similar with extremely GWL results

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibP5IQxId34

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Lularoe needs to do lootboxes. People expect trash out of lootboxes so it all works out.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
They should do an ICO for lulucoin which you can use to buy and sell digital lulootboxes. The contents are virtual leggings which can be traded or sold. All down stream revenues and profits are recorded on the blululockchain.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

Lularoe needs to do lootboxes. People expect trash out of lootboxes so it all works out.

They already do. You have no idea what you’re getting when you buy inventory

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Financing a BMW?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7wnx5n/financing_a_bmw/ posted:

Hi guys, so I have this plan for the near future where I’ll be looking to finance a BMW 335i coupe. Where I live, a car like this with all the features I want can be worth up to $13-18,000

Right now I don’t have many savings, but I wanted to set up kind of a rule of thumb as to how much I should have saved before I start financing, because I don’t want to gently caress myself over with it. Here’s what I figured.

Assuming the car is worth $13,000, I make a down payment, and the loan term is 2 years, I would set aside

$2600 for a down payment $4-5000 for a year of insurance $3500 to buy warranty for the car $900 to have two backup monthly payments ———— $12,000

What I realized though, was that with the amount I put aside to start financing, I could almost just buy the car straight up. So I cant decide whether it would be a smarter decision to buy the car straight up, or finance it with the setup plan.

I also want to make it clear that I am by no means wealthy. My family is lower middle class at best, and using this plan, I’d be working full time for around $15-17 an hour, but I don’t spend much money on entertainment otherwise and cars are pretty much a priority in my life, so I don’t mind dishing out a significant portion of my monthly payments for it.

Am I being too careful with my plan? Any critique?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
If stretching to lease a 3 series BMW is BWM, then lock up all of Southern California.

(They’ll finance staying at the special jails that aren’t actually jails tho)

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Spokes posted:

Probably making a debit card payment to a collector. Based on experience, people won’t think twice to do this instead of pulling the gently caress over.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

$5000/year on insurance? god drat

he's also not factoring in that insurance payment to his "buy it outright" plan.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Motronic posted:

Financing a BMW?

...how does one pay $5k for a year of insurance on a 20k car?

..tell me. I need this.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jbusbysack posted:

...how does one pay $5k for a year of insurance on a 20k car?

..tell me. I need this.

I'm assuming you just need to be 1 DUI shy of losing your license.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Motronic posted:

I'm assuming you just need to be 1 DUI shy of losing your license.

Everyone should be one DUI from losing their license. :colbert:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Everyone should be one DUI from losing their license. :colbert:

I meant permanently losing it. But like....yeah, your point still stands.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Blinkman987 posted:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My sister-in-law and her girlfriend have a $400/mo loan on a new Honda Accord. My sister-in-law is making $17.50 and her girlfriend runs a delivery dispensary with what looks to be some pretty poor business practices.

It’s on the girlfriend’s mother’s credit since the girlfriend has no proof of income.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Depends on your draft, but again the keel shouldn't just snap off.

What? Run aground at moderate speed, keelbolts will definitely snap, and then the keel goes away. Most people don't maintain / replace their keelbolts as frequently as the should, and this was a saltwater boat from the late 60's they bought for 5k. Of course the keelbolts weren't in good shape.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

What? Run aground at moderate speed, keelbolts will definitely snap, and then the keel goes away. Most people don't maintain / replace their keelbolts as frequently as the should, and this was a saltwater boat from the late 60's they bought for 5k. Of course the keelbolts weren't in good shape.

I love the idea that these two would even know what a keel is, let alone that it has bolts that have to be maintained.

All these people saying that everyone is just salty because they don't have the courage to follow their dreams are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

NancyPants posted:

I love the idea that these two would even know what a keel is, let alone that it has bolts that have to be maintained.

All these people saying that everyone is just salty because they don't have the courage to follow their dreams are great.

You did choose the word salty deliberately, right?