Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

This has to be bait.

What you don't put zone alarm on every new pc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

nocal posted:

People rooting their androids still using winamp. I'd say that checks out.

Lol sorry if blocking ads in YouTube, on any and all websites, in apps, playing YouTube with my screen off, and tethering without a 10gb limit makes me a sperg. Then sperg me up, I say!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
BRB some anonymous internet posters don't find these features useful, going to revert back to not using them

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Hey why can I only tether at 512kbps, sned he;lp

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Lol sorry if blocking ads in YouTube, on any and all websites, in apps, playing YouTube with my screen off, and tethering without a 10gb limit makes me a sperg. Then sperg me up, I say!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

blocking ads in YouTube, playing YouTube with my screen off
Why would you need root for this?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

butt dickus posted:

Because he's too entitled to pay for it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bait is suggesting that someone using winamp on pc has android devices rooted. I use winamp and don't root mines so...

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Oh no, someone hosed up this thread and now it's doing the unread post thing, but it's the Rooted Android thread so nobody will ever make a new one :gonk:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

butt dickus posted:

I don't watch YouTube Red so I'd be paying $10 a month for the privilege of turning my screen off

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

Bait is suggesting that someone using winamp on pc has android devices rooted. I use winamp and don't root mines so...

Only there wasn't any bait required, there simply was a rooted Android thread and Winamp conversation naturally erupted within it. I'm willing to bet the Venn diagram has a bit more overlap here than in your typical general interest thread.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I mean, at least a dead pc app brought some life to the thread also the unread bug wich already killed a bunch of games threads (bloodborne one eating posts was kind of amusing).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Guillermus posted:

I mean, at least a dead pc app brought some life to the thread also the unread bug wich already killed a bunch of games threads (bloodborne one eating posts was kind of amusing).

I think the thread is dead because people don't wanna hear "lol" and "you don't need to do this any more" when asking root questions.

Flashing roms is pretty ridiculous (and hasn't been necessary since the Thunderbolt days) but there's plenty of good reasons to root.

Try and Root; It's Quite a Hoot!™

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

I don't watch YouTube Red so I'd be paying $10 a month for the privilege of turning my screen off

You know it also gets you Google Play Music Unlimited subscription right? But maybe a Winamp user doesn't exactly need that...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wait I thought you were interested in blocking ads in YouTube which Red would also remove?

Were you lying then or lying now?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

Wait I thought you were interested in blocking ads in YouTube which Red would also remove?

Were you lying then or lying now?

Yes

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

nimper posted:

You know it also gets you Google Play Music Unlimited subscription right? But maybe a Winamp user doesn't exactly need that...

I don't listen to music on YouTube

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well to be fair, it gives you YouTube Music and Play Music which is pretty good if you aren't all sperg about streaming audio quality and all. (Also the Family pack is pretty sweet to share between 5 people and not have to mess with anything on their devices.)

But I also root (Mainly for Tether) and when Beans ever gets back into the game, flash the Pure Nexus rom because it's like all the rooted stuff I want, without the need to root. Hell it even has fixes and security bits added in that aren't even added in the official roms until a month later usually.

Sadly he's been slow to finish up the 8.x/Pixel2 stuff yet. Oh well.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah the most I've done with my Pixel 2 XL is just unlock it in case I ever want to root for real, which I haven't done yet. Hasn't come up, and my carrier never actually blocked tethering for me without extra payments in the first place so that big hook is meaningless for me.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

fishmech posted:

Yeah the most I've done with my Pixel 2 XL is just unlock it in case I ever want to root for real, which I haven't done yet. Hasn't come up, and my carrier never actually blocked tethering for me without extra payments in the first place so that big hook is meaningless for me.

An unlocked bootloader causes safetynet's check to fail so I don't recommend people do this anymore.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

THF13 posted:

An unlocked bootloader causes safetynet's check to fail so I don't recommend people do this anymore.

Ironically, the solution to this is rooting with magisk and installing a module to hide it

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Blue Train posted:

Ironically, the solution to this is rooting with magisk and installing a module to hide it

Yeah basically you need to go all the way or just not bother to begin with.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

THF13 posted:

Yeah basically you need to go all the way or just not bother to begin with.

New thread title.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
I am going to say this a second time, a rooted Essential phone with gCam is honestly the best android experience in maybe the whole dang world

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Oh no, someone hosed up this thread and now it's doing the unread post thing, but it's the Rooted Android thread so nobody will ever make a new one :gonk:
This is driving me crazy, I try to read the unread post in this thread every day now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Someone needs to make a new thread but no one who knows anything about rooting is willing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Someone needs to make a new thread but no one who knows anything about rooting is willing.
I'll think about it. I feel like there are some justifications for it if you take away the argument "don't buy that lovely phone" and assume someone is stuck with it.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 23, 2018

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Tunga posted:

This is driving me crazy, I try to read the unread post in this thread every day now.

It has something to do with a mod deleting their own post in a thread or something. It causes this glitch somehow

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

It has something to do with a mod deleting their own post in a thread or something. It causes this glitch somehow

It was my post that quoted your av back at you that did it :D

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

It was my post that quoted your av back at you that did it :D

I don't think so, I know the counter was off just about at the new page. After I made the last post on the last page, the counter was off and the next post wasn't visible until the first post on this page so the missing post in question has to be between 10 Feb 0333 and 10 Feb 0542 Eastern time.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What if the missing post was an actual good post about rooting telephones in 2018? And now we will never experience that moment.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I think the odds are low enough that it's not worth worrying about

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Rooting is fine and installing roms are fine, functionality can be added that is useful and adblocking is a completely legitimate reason to root. Manufacturers refusing to release consistent updates is a legitimate reason to use a custom rom. If you use a piece of poo poo lg unlocking the bootloader is p much required so you can retrieve your data when it inevitably bootloops. The poo poo is :spergin: but there are multiple valid reasons to do so

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crossposting from the regular Android thread because even though my phone isn't rooted, I figure people in here have more experience fixing bricked phones.

KillHour posted:

My phone bricked itself while I was on an airplane a week or so back. It just turned off at 70ish% battery and when I tried to turn it on it got stuck in a bootloop. I tried resetting to stock in recovery, but that brought it into a hardbrick where nothing would show on the screen at all. I bought a brand new battery and this is where I'm at:

It's a Verizon VS990 with H/W Rev 1.0.

I've never rooted it.

I tried following this guide to fix it, but QFIL doesn't see the phone.

After some googling, it looks like the QDLoader should say Qualcomm, not Quectel. Do I have some lovely knockoff or something?

Any ideas on where to start? I've tried several version of the Qualcomm drivers, tried with and without the battery in. Googling "Quectel QDLoader 9008" doesn't give many results compared to "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008." Are these the same thing?

Edit:

For anyone else with this issue - I had some weird driver that was misreporting the hardware. Uninstalling the driver from device manager fixed it. I'll just leave this here in case it helps anybody. :doh:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 26, 2018

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Install Linux

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Hello it's me, I rooted my phone in tyool 2018.

Tasker can't toggle my Pixel's hotspot without root. :argh: Other than that, not really doing much with it. Wondering if TWRP is worth installing.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Installing twrp will prevent ota updates from working and you will need to manually download and flash them, so probably not unless you plan on flashing custom roms

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Blue Train posted:

Installing twrp will prevent ota updates from working and you will need to manually download and flash them, so probably not unless you plan on flashing custom roms

But from what I've read installing OTA updates over a root is messy anyway. :iiam:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Kazy posted:

But from what I've read installing OTA updates over a root is messy anyway. :iiam:

supersu is annoying and requires reflashing after updates to regain root, magisk works like

1. update the system (don't reboot!)
2. go into Magisk Manager; select "Install", then select "Install to Second slot (after OTA)"
3. reboot - (Magisk will have patched the updated boot.img)

which is still trash but somewhat better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Went to see what sort of progress had been made on Oreo or even updated Nougat builds for my Note 4.

Found an Oreo build updated today with no major bugs listed. Looked down through the thread to see how it was working for people.

"rom smooth and booted flawlessly, working fine.
[...]
sound doesn't work, speaker doesn't work during calls, bluetooth doesn't work"

Never change, XDA...