Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

edit: accidentally phoneposting. All this talk of Tangledeep is making me want to check it out though.

Otto Octopus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ya i think one of the admins said they have to manually acceas the archives database to bring a thread back. So probably not gonna get it back

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Threads in archives are there forever, time to start a new one!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The old Dungeonmans thread is here.

And you cannot bring them back from archives, even with a mod helping. Make a new one, link to the old one!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I won Slay the Spire last night which is one of my first ascensions!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Really not liking how STS starts with very powerful cards available and most unlocks involve taking a massive poo poo in the card pool.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
I had the same thought. I remember Dead Cells having (still having?) the same problem - you'll unlock subpar weapons and they dilute the pool. In this case, a lot of the cards aren't necessarily subpar, but once you're locked into a strategy, it sucks to see unlocked cards that don't help you at all. I would like a way to remove cards from the pool - maybe a screen after character selection that lets you pull X cards from the pool, with X going up a little more whenever you unlock more stuff?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's some real stinkers like the level where Silent gets nothing but overpriced shiv spamming cards

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Streets of Rogue just got announced for a Switch port. That's pretty sweet, I'm going to double dip.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Re: Tangledeep: Should the unlockable stuff be permanently unlocked from the start on a Heroic save file? I feel like at least the feats should be.

(Also, if one hits Escape on the difficulty settings when creating a new game, it takes you to the class selection screen. An additional press takes you back to difficulty selection, and a third goes back to the main menu.)

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda

John Lee posted:

Re: Tangledeep: Should the unlockable stuff be permanently unlocked from the start on a Heroic save file? I feel like at least the feats should be.

(Also, if one hits Escape on the difficulty settings when creating a new game, it takes you to the class selection screen. An additional press takes you back to difficulty selection, and a third goes back to the main menu.)

Yeah the unlockable stuff is permanently unlocked in each slot, even on Hardcore, unless you do Manage Data - > Clear All Data.

I am going to confess that I tried Dead Cells for about 1.5 hours and just couldn't get into it. The graphics are stunning, control is super fluid, but I just suck at it. I did around 10 runs and couldn't get past the first elite. lol lol I'm bad I know. But in my defense I got up to like.. NG6 in Rogue Legacy? Something about the roll and jump timing / movement never clicked with me :(

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Skip elites if they're giving you trouble till you get better at the game. They're almost always optional aside from a couple specific occasions when they're guarding one of the permanent exploration powerups.

And remember you need to disengage before they get to half health if you do chicken out. At 50%, they gain the ability to teleport to you pretty much instantly. Before that point, you can just run away and they won't follow.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 11, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Wow Doom the roguelike is super fun and free so thanks for pointing that one out

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's being made by the DoomRL guy, so I am super-hyped for whenever Jupiter Hell drops. :D

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

dis astranagant posted:

There's some real stinkers like the level where Silent gets nothing but overpriced shiv spamming cards

Most cardbuilders sorta compensates by replacing your default cards with unlocks, not sure how well it would work here considering how important block is.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Klaus Kinski posted:

Most cardbuilders sorta compensates by replacing your default cards with unlocks, not sure how well it would work here considering how important block is.

Wouldn't be a bad idea here, since half the card pool is default cards with minor gimmicks attached for no extra resource cost.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Really the worst part of it is that there's a fair few ways to luck into not just stacking the deck but getting a bunch of your best cards in addition to your opening hand, mostly negating any considerations to actual deck building. Nothing can stand up to a 50 card deck with 3x mind blast+

You're either tripping over garbage or playing the exact same hand every fight. There's little in between.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

My main problem with Slay the Spire is that difficulty is very binary. Either you have a good deck and just cruise through everything or you don't and you burn resources until you lose.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
If you want to try something new after Slay the Spire, Chinese DQ-like Mad Crown has just received a rough English translation with a possibilty for modders to improve it: http://store.steampowered.com/app/689700/Mad_Crown/

haven't played the game myself, but it has good reviews and nice art.

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 11, 2018

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
First game in Scavenger SV-4 of course I had to play the Dungeon Road game in my quarters before going out to the ship to find the medbay autodoc was offline.I assumed that whole thing was a cruel joke and didn't bother with it again until something else went offline later on and I realised I could have rebooted it the whole time.By this point my radiation poisoning was pretty rad.Then the autopilot I had found drove the rover into some kind of lightning forest and I lost it so I had to finish the exploration.Turned out I had made just enough to cover my exorbitant health costs for treatment that allowed me to linger on for several more years in a lovely apartment and constant pain.

TL:DR 10/10 best roguelike ever

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I started the game, brought back some artifacts that required a fuckload of research. At this point I didnt realize radiation poisoning was a thing so I just set the artifacts to research while I went to wash the dishes, do laundry and shower.

When I came back my teeth and hair were falling out and the epilogue was being frozen til a cure for massive radiation poisoning could be found.

also later I ran over an alien and dug up some coffins to sell.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Just started playing this rogue-like (rogue-like-like) - Dungeons of Chaos: http://store.steampowered.com/app/613390/DUNGEONS_OF_CHAOS/

Pretty cools game that calls back to games like Ultima 3. You create a party of 6 from various classes, and then venture out. I'm pretty early into the game, but it seems like a static overworld and quest line, but with dungeons, encounters, and loot being randomly generated.

Combat can be a bit slow and repetitive, but thankfully, the game has an auto combat feature that's really fast so you can just let the AI run your mook battles for you, and you can take over for bosses or tougher combat.

It's a game that was made by one dude, and it kinda shows in the weird / clunky UI and some stolen sprites, but you can also see a lot of love that the programmer put into the game, and I think the gameplay definitely makes up for the flaws.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Latest Tangledeep patch pushed things in the wrong direction for me, reducing food timers just means more food spamming and reducing high quality loot drops by quite a bit seems silly when in like 30+ hours I've seen maybe 1 legendary drop.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

zirconmusic posted:

I am going to confess that I tried Dead Cells for about 1.5 hours and just couldn't get into it. The graphics are stunning, control is super fluid, but I just suck at it. I did around 10 runs and couldn't get past the first elite. lol lol I'm bad I know. But in my defense I got up to like.. NG6 in Rogue Legacy? Something about the roll and jump timing / movement never clicked with me :(

I wonder how the Venn diagram looks for people who like Rogue Legacy and Dead Cells controls, because I loathe the former and couldn't get anywhere in it but Dead Cells is perfect for me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Osmosisch posted:

I wonder how the Venn diagram looks for people who like Rogue Legacy and Dead Cells controls, because I loathe the former and couldn't get anywhere in it but Dead Cells is perfect for me.

:same:

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Osmosisch posted:

Same here. I really disliked Rogue Legacy and wasn't all that crazy about Spelunky, but I adore Dead Cells.

Oh, and I wouldn't get too discouraged about getting stomped by Elites. They are definitely no joke. They move quickly, hit hard and the mini-zombies that swarm you can be a huge nuisance. However they do a good job of teaching you the importance of debilitating effects (freeze + slowdown, root, stun) and the huge damage boost that status effects modifiers on weapons produce. It's always fun to freeze an elite, roll to point blank, and literally one-shot it with a spread crossbow that deals bonus damage to frozen targets.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 12, 2018

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Osmosisch posted:

Beat Rogue Legacy from scratch multiple times, but Dead Cells blows it out of the water. If the two had been around at the same time, no contest.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Also remember you can cheese lots of elites by hanging out on chains/climbable stuff and dropping grenades/traps on them. They'll sit underneath you or the nearest point they can teleport to, but wont actually port on top of you. Works for some of them anyway.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Or just roll around in a big hallway. They won't teleport in that situation either.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Well, Scavenger SV-4 is pretty good so far. I had a relatively uneventful, if slightly suspenseful, first game that culminated in selling my ship to pay for radiation treatment and bargaining off a handful of artifacts to open my own pawn shop.

There's nothing quite like thinking, "poo poo, it's been awhile since I scrubbed my rads," moments before a big ERROR - AUTODOC OFFLINE comes up on the console.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Your main engineering console can be used to reboot systems

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Synthbuttrange posted:

Your main engineering console can be used to reboot systems

I know, but it still gave me a heart attack the first time I saw it.

Not as much of a heart attack as that last run though. That was a very, uh, lively landing zone :stare:

motherfucking alien battlemechs and bomber planes holy poo poo

e: also, figuring out how to overcome one particularly dicey situation left me feeling extremely clever, and the game's epilogue even acknowledged, and tossed me a big fat bonus for, how I managed to do it. This is a really, really neat little game.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 13, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wish I could actually play the drat thing though without puking from motion sickness. :(

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wish I could actually play the drat thing though without puking from motion sickness. :(

Can you play with a larger FOV? I hear it helps a lost of people who get motion sick while gaming.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I've only had motion sickness problems with one game ever but it happened to be Half Life 2 when I bought it on the release date. I'd play for like an hour or two and then lay down for an hour or two because I was so nauseous.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
Just started a Paladin in Tangledeep; any class(es) that combine well with that?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Just started a Paladin in Tangledeep; any class(es) that combine well with that?

Sword Dancer if you wanna go all in on defense with block/parry. Brigand has a lot of good movement abilities that work with the Paladin's armor training.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Today's chrono.gg deal is Convoy for $3 for the next 17 hours, I know people in this thread have mentioned liking it so I'm posting.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is it actually good now though or just not bad

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Awesome! posted:

is it actually good now though or just not bad

Cross-posting what I said in the steam thread:

From my playtime so far.... yes. It's not FTL, it's more combat focused. Combat is based around protecting your main convoy with extra vehicles - and your extra vehicles need to move constantly to get in range of the enemy, and then to dodge incoming debris/death traps. Part of combat is ramming enemies into these death traps.

It's pretty good! For 3$ I'd rec it, but keep in mind that I haven't played for very long yet and it's hard. I'm on easy difficulty and I've died twice...but I'm getting the hang of the systems and how exploration works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I just wish melee was better compared to other options in dead cells. and that it didn't become so drat visually noisey.