Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Annual Prophet posted:

I picked up this set a few years ago; we use it all the time and, for us, at least, we use all of the knives (we need them all and there weren't any we don't use or use infrequently):

https://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Classic-6-Piece-Chef-Knife/dp/B0000DJZME

It was way way less expensive though (I think we got it on sale) and we cook mostly from scratch, so our use case may be different from others'.

There is nothing wrong with that set, all the knives in it are pretty useful and of decent quality. It's stuff like that Shun 3-piece set with the tiny 6 inch chef's knife, 5 inch serrated knife and paring knife or the 20 piece sets for like $80 where there are tons of useless knives and every knife is made of pot metal that are the problem.

You don't need expensive knives, they are just nice because they stay sharp for a lot longer, if you want to go cheap look for the knives with white plastic handles sold at kitchen supply stores, hone them before each use and sharpen them often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Saw this when I was out shopping for a bread knife. Sadly, I did not find a bread knife. What I found was far worse.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Canuck-Errant posted:

Saw this when I was out shopping for a bread knife. Sadly, I did not find a bread knife. What I found was far worse.

Overpriced non-stick pans?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
With stickers on the cook surface. And those anti-theft stickers will leave residue on anything.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Put it on high heat, problem solved.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Any recommendations on toaster ovens? From some cursory reading through the thread and some google searching, it looks like the Breville Smart Oven is the one people are most enthused about, but when I went on Amazon to look at reviews, people report their ovens burning out after ~18 months or so. Are they still the best with that in mind, or is there an option for something (even if it's pricier) that will last longer?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I bought a Girole (cheese curler) and have a half pound of Tate de moines shipping to me tomorrow.

I'll report back if anyone cares. ;)

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Dirk the Average posted:

Any recommendations on toaster ovens? From some cursory reading through the thread and some google searching, it looks like the Breville Smart Oven is the one people are most enthused about, but when I went on Amazon to look at reviews, people report their ovens burning out after ~18 months or so. Are they still the best with that in mind, or is there an option for something (even if it's pricier) that will last longer?

I'm interested in this one, which is sold at Costco:
https://www.amazon.com/Oster-TSSTTVFDDG-Digital-French-Stainless/dp/B014D9LBCY

Hauki
May 11, 2010

if that's the one I'm thinking of, it's annoying as poo poo because that french door is like spring loaded and has no way to like latch it open, so good luck if for whatever reason you need two hands to put something in or take it out

this is the one I have at home

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Thanks! I'll take a look.

Hauki posted:

if that's the one I'm thinking of, it's annoying as poo poo because that french door is like spring loaded and has no way to like latch it open, so good luck if for whatever reason you need two hands to put something in or take it out

this is the one I have at home

This is what I was referring to earlier, the Breville ovens seem absolutely amazing when they work, but also according to a large number of reviews, seem like they fail within a year and a half or so, sometimes catastrophically. I've got a lovely old toaster oven that works fine and has worked fine for years with some pretty heavy abuse; I don't want an appliance that'll fall apart on me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I've had my Breville for 5 years, no probs

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Whats up with that Panasonic FlashXpress thing? Despite its silly rear end temperature levels due to the conversion, people seem to love it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VERTiG0 posted:

Whats up with that Panasonic FlashXpress thing? Despite its silly rear end temperature levels due to the conversion, people seem to love it.

The wirecutter recommends that one, but I know lots of people who love their Breville so I just ordered one of those instead. Mine comes in Friday, I'll post a trip report. The Panasonic looks a little industrial.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The Panasonic is also tiny, where the Breville can fit regular quarter sheet pans and 9x13 baking dishes and round casseroles etc. That's the main reason I got mine, actually. To use as an additional oven during thanksgiving. It's proven eminently useful since then, though.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So this might not be the best place to ask, but the cast iron thread hasn't had a post for like 2 weeks.

I'm trying to find out who made a particular cast iron pan for some friends, but all we have to go on is the emblem. It's a mountain split in half by a stream. Random shot I know, but if anyone recognizes it, I'd owe you big.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Get us a pic

Also is your friend in Canada

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ozark Trail - a wallmart brand. Their yeti knock offs are good, no experience with anything else.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Steve Yun posted:

Get us a pic

Also is your friend in Canada

Not in Canada, they're like down the street from me. I'll get a pic once they're cool enough to touch, but this vvv

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Ozark Trail - a wallmart brand. Their yeti knock offs are good, no experience with anything else.

seems pretty likely since they were given to them as a gift.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Since we’re talking cast iron, what do ya’ll do when you’re, say, making some pancakes and you have a little oil or spray and when you’re done there is a quadrant that never saw any action and the oil got gummy or tar-like?

You know, you’re wiping down after s good rinse and your paper towel leaves residue of paper when it drags across the area.

I can take this to cast iron thread if need be.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Feenix posted:

Since we’re talking cast iron, what do ya’ll do when you’re, say, making some pancakes and you have a little oil or spray and when you’re done there is a quadrant that never saw any action and the oil got gummy or tar-like?

You know, you’re wiping down after s good rinse and your paper towel leaves residue of paper when it drags across the area.

I can take this to cast iron thread if need be.

Some kosher salt helps act as an abrasive to scrub that gunk out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Honestly, if your seasoning is at all decent, a bit of soap to take that stuff off isn’t going to hurt it at all.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks guys!

Another question:

I have a really small kitchenaid(?) food processor. It’s handled itself well but I need bigger. Is there a reasonably priced but otherwise really quality food processor out there that is a standard “go-to” brand/model?

Does it even matter with name brand food processors? Or do they all work about equally?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Feenix posted:

Thanks guys!

Another question:

I have a really small kitchenaid(?) food processor. It’s handled itself well but I need bigger. Is there a reasonably priced but otherwise really quality food processor out there that is a standard “go-to” brand/model?

Does it even matter with name brand food processors? Or do they all work about equally?

You want a Cuisinart, they generally have the best designed bowls which is a big deal. The nicer models also have much better construction than other brands. If you want something really nice get a Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You want a Cuisinart, they generally have the best designed bowls which is a big deal. The nicer models also have much better construction than other brands. If you want something really nice get a Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY.

That is REAL nice. But I think I’d have a better time justifying my upgrade at the sub 80 (maybe sub 100?) dollar level. Any suggestions there that come close?

Any real good argument for why the one you recommended is just light years ahead and worth so
Much cashish?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

It will last a long time and will provide a more consistent product and therefore is worth the investment. Think of it like the good expensive boots v. cheap boots analogy.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
If you are making anything that requires the motor to really work like dough or even chopping lots of veg the motor will fry on the cheap ones.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I hear ya. And I may get this one... but I have to assume there are good (even great) food processors below this one, capable of doing a good job.

I’ll see if I can budget this one this month... this can’t be the ONLY good one though. :)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Feenix posted:

That is REAL nice. But I think I’d have a better time justifying my upgrade at the sub 80 (maybe sub 100?) dollar level. Any suggestions there that come close?

Any real good argument for why the one you recommended is just light years ahead and worth so
Much cashish?

Well, it's got lots of capacity so you won't run into issues there, and as others have said it's actually got a motor built to handle whatever you throw at it, the others just aren't built to anywhere near the same quality, even the cheaper Cuisinart models are a far cry from the DFP-14. At least go with a Cuisinart of some kind, they all have well designed bowls that clean up well and don't leak which is more than can be said for other brands.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Feenix posted:

Much cashish?
I got the same product line one size down and on sale for $100 iirc. $100 is usually my limit for big but iffy kitchen gadgets. Despite the sweethome's claims, the smaller size has been completely fine -- I live alone but I really like batch cooking, and it's never been an issue.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Anne Whateley posted:

I got the same product line one size down and on sale for $100 iirc. $100 is usually my limit for big but iffy kitchen gadgets. Despite the sweethome's claims, the smaller size has been completely fine -- I live alone but I really like batch cooking, and it's never been an issue.

How small is smaller? I don’t know what size I have but if I had to guess it’s like, 5 or 6 inches across and like 3 inches tall? (Just guessing here...)

[Ed] maybe not eve. 6 inches across.
Let me go look...

I have bear paws... but still...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 11, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Mine's not a mini one, it's just like 9 cups or something instead of 14 cups. You can still make pasta dough, pie crusts, whatever. I'm not home now but I can check later.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah let me know... I definitely like to “buy it for life” when I can, but I often catch myself just wishing I could double the capacity of the one I have. So I don’t need some mega-giant sized one, I think....

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Found it, it's the Cuisinart Pro Classic 7-Cup Food Processor (DLC-10SY)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Feenix posted:

How small is smaller? I don’t know what size I have but if I had to guess it’s like, 5 or 6 inches across and like 3 inches tall? (Just guessing here...)

[Ed] maybe not eve. 6 inches across.
Let me go look...

I have bear paws... but still...

Oh wow, when you said that your current one was too small I was thinking you had one of similar size to the 7 cup Cuisinart, but that thing is tiny, it got to have like a 2 cup capacity? So yeah, get the 7 cup Cuisinart that Anne Whateley recommended, it should be fine for your purposes.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Oh wow, when you said that your current one was too small I was thinking you had one of similar size to the 7 cup Cuisinart, but that thing is tiny, it got to have like a 2 cup capacity? So yeah, get the 7 cup Cuisinart that Anne Whateley recommended, it should be fine for your purposes.

I have the exact same model, it's got a 3-cup capacity which is just right for me since I live on my own. I use it mainly to make hummus.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I suppose if a small food processor is good enough for Jacques Pepín, it's good enough for most people

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Jacques’ is still bigger than mine. :/ lol

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My, I think 11 cup, Cuisinart dies on hummus and a few other things. I've learned to just not use a food processor but need to just get that 14 cup.

Sandtrout Catsuit
Feb 15, 2008

They were all over his body now. He could feel the pulse of his blood against the living membrane.

Steve Yun posted:

I suppose if a small food processor is good enough for Jacques Pepín, it's good enough for most people

I have the same food processor as Jacques! That I bought in the early 2000s, and is dying. Is it worth springing for a Magimix if I have the money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

My, I think 11 cup, Cuisinart dies on hummus and a few other things. I've learned to just not use a food processor but need to just get that 14 cup.

My DLC-10S Pro 7 cup handles hummus fine and does 2 pounds of bread dough no problem. If I do 3 batches of dough the thermal override shuts it off on the third batch if I'm not cautious about kneading times