Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

A human heart posted:

He was correct, ebooks are stupid gimmicks.

Uhhhhhhhh what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
While I wouldn't call ebooks "gimmicks," their sales have dropped quite a bit year-over-year and print sales have increased during the same period.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

E-books are in a mini slump but audio-book sales are exploding.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Uhhhhhhhh what?

It's A Human Heart, just walk away.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ccs posted:

E-books are in a mini slump but audio-book sales are exploding.

*publisher-released e-books

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

It's A Human Heart, just walk away.

My opinions are real and genuine, and to dismiss them out of hand is intellectual cowardice

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Personally I think it’s pretty cool and good to log on to my library’s website and be like, “oh cool, a Culture book I haven’t read yet,” and then be reading it on my kindle literally 2 minutes later.

That said, when I actually want to buy a book I go for a physical copy, so maybe I’m part of the problem.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Personally I think it’s pretty cool and good to log on to my library’s website and be like, “oh cool, a Culture book I haven’t read yet,” and then be reading it on my kindle literally 2 minutes later.

That said, when I actually want to buy a book I go for a physical copy, so maybe I’m part of the problem.

I don't see a problem in buying books.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't see a problem in buying books.

I meant the problem of ebook sales slumping (if you even want to call it a problem)

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I'd say Bradbury came out correct concerning the ephemeral nature of ebook v book.

Especially considering

quote:

Recently Kindle owners who had purchased George Orwell's 1984 or Animal Farm had their books snatched back by Amazon when a rights issue arose. The buyers were credited their $9.99, but such a recall could never have happened with actual books
only happened two years prior to Bradbury being forced to sign off on allowing digitization of Fahrenheit 451.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I have a tiny house with no space for more physical books but plenty of space on my Kindle for as many eBooks as I want so I am down with this gimmick.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I definitely buy fewer ebooks than I did a year or two ago. Mostly because the price of new ebooks has gone up about 50%.

I have a strict "one in one out" policy on hardcopy books now.

withak fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 9, 2018

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The arguments for e-readers and e-books are dumb things like 'convenience' and 'storage' and 'accessibility' and 'never running out of stock ever' and the arguments for honest god-fearing non-demonic paper books are much more tangible things like 'enjoying the smell of deforestation' and 'liking the feel of dead trees rubbing against one's palms' and 'wanting to die by drowning in a sea of one's own faeces stained book collection'.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The only physical books I buy anymore are small paperbacks I can take into a no-electronics facility and read on the shitter

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dominoes posted:

how are people torn from a spacecraft in an explosion not all gravitationally bound to the same body?

Because otherwise John Carpenter and Dan O'Bannon couldn't have made Dark Star. A world without Bradbury is a world without Halloween and Return of the Living Dead, think about that for a moment.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

papa horny michael posted:

I'd say Bradbury came out correct concerning the ephemeral nature of ebook v book.

Especially considering
only happened two years prior to Bradbury being forced to sign off on allowing digitization of Fahrenheit 451.

That's an argument against buying ebooks (or other digital goods) from lovely companies with a hard-on for DRM, not an argument against ebooks as a format.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Mostly these days if I'm buying a physical book it's an illustrated or annotated edition.

For example, the New Annotated Sherlock Holmes: http://books.wwnorton.com/books/The-New-Annotated-Sherlock-Holmes/

A perfect edition of this month's book of the month selection: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848449

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Mostly these days if I'm buying a physical book it's an illustrated or annotated edition.

For example, the New Annotated Sherlock Holmes: http://books.wwnorton.com/books/The-New-Annotated-Sherlock-Holmes/

A perfect edition of this month's book of the month selection: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848449

Same. Nice volume, btw.

I have this one. I want this one.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Along this tangent...I've been buying the occasional book from the Folio Society for their special bindings and illustrations. What other publishers offer similar "upscale" bound versions of classic literature?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Along this tangent...I've been buying the occasional book from the Folio Society for their special bindings and illustrations. What other publishers offer similar "upscale" bound versions of classic literature?

Centipede Press does a lot of real nice SFF books

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Easton Press is a good one. As is the aforementioned Centipede, but they are often really expensive, even compared to Folio and Easton. For reference, the Folio Edition of Dune is $135; the Centipede edition due out later this year will be $295. (Edit: Centipede also does a lot of mystery book, like Fredric Brown and Jim Thompson.)

There are also an infinite number of micropresses that will do very fine editions of public domain books. If you're really interested in digging in here, I recommend the Small Press Limited Book Collectors group on Facebook.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 9, 2018

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!
I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that e-books are a fad that won't last out the year.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Subterranean Press also does some limited/signed editions of SFF stuff. Centipede man...I was just browsing their site a bit and you gotta jump on something that interests you, it won't be around for long.

Anyway though I loves my ebooks and I loves my print books. Ebooks I tend to get on sale, if I'm buying new it's usually a print book. I suppose that could contribute to the profitability of ebooks decreasing, but I very much doubt they'll vanish. It's possible that a reasonable number of people (I know a couple) decided to downsize their libraries and replace them with digital versions of things they would always want to have available but didn't necessarily want taking up space in their homes. This would create a bump in initial sales that would then even out--similar things happened when people ditched cassettes for CDs and to a much more limited degree when blu-ray was released over DVD.

I also would not expect magazines and comics to make a print comeback--not that they're gone obviously, but the digital format works very well for a lot of them and they suffer even more from the 'clutter' issue when trying to store or deal with older ones. I haven't bought a physical comic book in years, though I do buy the occasional nice hardbound collected edition.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Thank you for all the suggestions about specialty presses. I'll keep my eyes out for sales (Folio has them a couple times a year), but I doubt there will be many bargains at these outfits due to the limited runs.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I exclusively buy e-books now, to the point where I've never finished the Culture series because there's no legit way to get an ebook of Excession in the USA.

I'll glad pay an extra bit over the cost of a hardcopy for the convenience of ebook storage, transportation, and the massively improved ease of reading. I love not having to deal with three inch doorstoppers anymore. I love being able to read in a dimly lit room without loving around with lamps or lights. I love not having to haul multiple books around just because I'm nearing the end of my current book. I love not worrying about accidentally damaging the book.

Basically, ebooks are superior to physical books in drat near every single way when it comes to non-reference books.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Storage is a major concern- I already have twice as many books as I can shelve, and that was after a clear out.

Mostly though, it's price. I'm buying ebooks at £2-£5 when hard copies are in the £7-£20 range, it's not even remotely comparable.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I don’t even care about storage. Paper books are just too impractical to handle. Kindle is way better, especially if you like being comfortable while you read. I only buy textbooks and work related stuff in physical form so I don’t doze off over the boring bits. The book is text, not its material form.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I find I don't read hardcopy books anymore even if I buy them. I like to read out and about (at work, while commuting, etc) and books just get too ratty when you're taking hem everywhere. Even if I make a start on one at home, I end up getting engrossed with whatever I've got on ebook because I can read it everywhere and so just read my ebooks everywhere.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again
I’ll buy nice books like the LBJ bio series in paper but I’ll be god damned if I’m going to keep nine million pages of Expanse books on an entire row of my bookshelf, that poo poo is eminently disposable.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I mostly like the ability to make the font bigger cause sometimes books are printed a lil too tiny for comfort.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

My books cost nothing and are stored on the shelves of the local library.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I only read from clay tablets, LOL at your ephemeral media choices.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

I exclusively read pirated epubs, like a true cyberpunk.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Zartosht posted:

I'm just poor :unsmith:

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Zartosht posted:

i have lost three kindles last year. pirated books are too annoying to reconstitute on a new device.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I don’t even care about storage. Paper books are just too impractical to handle. Kindle is way better, especially if you like being comfortable while you read. I only buy textbooks and work related stuff in physical form so I don’t doze off over the boring bits. The book is text, not its material form.

What if my idea of comfort is a hot bath, hmmm?

Really I like physical books because it's a break from looking at a screen, which makes my brain feel like it's doing something new and different.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

branedotorg posted:

i have lost three kindles last year. pirated books are too annoying to reconstitute on a new device.

Maybe don't lose your devices so often...? Sorry if that's mean but I've honestly never had that problem. :shrug:

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Nothing beats having the next few books in my queue ready to go on the Kindle when I finish one in the middle of taking the subway, but ebooks aren't good for browsing. As my kids have gotten old enough to have an interest in the same sci-fi books I like, I've been repurchasing some ebooks in physical form, because they spend time browsing our bookshelves around the house, finding books that interest them, but they're never going to browse my Kindle and come across something new and interesting that way.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

branedotorg posted:

What?

Just download Calibre or something and keep everything in a library on your PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Zartosht posted:

Maybe don't lose your devices so often...? Sorry if that's mean but I've honestly never had that problem. :shrug:

The street finds its own uses for things.