Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
so I've been working on a volcano fortress today and things have been going well, but i spent so much time engineering a safe magma cistern that i didn't end up training up a military. I knew it was bound to come up soon, when an elf caravan came through with a Giant Rhinoceros I bought it and war trained it immediately. Before the elves even finished packing up, an Ettin invaded and strolled right into the Rhino's pen, and proceeded to get immediately and brutally wrecked.

he earned a name before the elves left the map. i guess the treehuggers are worth something after all. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

married but discreet posted:

How do I set up a library? According to the wiki, I designate a zone, make it a meeting area and then a location, but the only thing I can do is make a tavern. What am I doing wrong?

To add to the previous post, you might try settling a new fort elsewhere on the map or making a new world. While I wouldn't EXPECT it to be possible, this almost sounds like the problem that occasionally comes up where a parent dwarven civ just...never learns how to do a certain task. It's possible, for instance, to have a parent civ that doesn't know how to keep domestic animals, or brew alcohol, or make certain types of armor. That...probably SHOULDN'T extend to the level of workshops and locations, but with DF who knows.

Mirthless posted:

he earned a name before the elves left the map. i guess the treehuggers are worth something after all. :shrug:

I adore the elven trade caravans. They put up with my wooden shacks and unethical societal experiments, and in return are showered in material wealth in exchange for rare materials, exotic animals, and the ever-important sunberries.

I just wish they would quit doing that thing where they periodically decide to just not show up, or arrive carrying absolutely none of the products I've demonstrated I'll buy from them in the past.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Elven traders are great when you can order a breeding pair of something but for some reason in my last few forts I haven't been able to speak with their trade dude in that much detail so I just have to hope that they bring a male giant tiger at some point before the female one I got a few years back croaks.

Now that I think about it I seem to remember there being some ini setting regarding that and by default you can only make orders with the dwarf traders. Hm.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Moridin920 posted:

Now that I think about it I seem to remember there being some ini setting regarding that and by default you can only make orders with the dwarf traders. Hm.

:raise:

Elves don't have any nobles/other positions with the TRADE responsibility, the "comes in to work out trade deals" one, by default. It's the question of adding one line into the elf section of the entity file and generating a world.

The ESTABLISH_COLONY_AGREEMENTS is a special version used by liaisons. They're the ones that bring news, grant titles and only visit domestic settlements.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ah yeah. I knew it was something relatively simple there we go thanks.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I think humans take orders by default as well.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shady Amish Terror posted:

To add to the previous post, you might try settling a new fort elsewhere on the map or making a new world. While I wouldn't EXPECT it to be possible, this almost sounds like the problem that occasionally comes up where a parent dwarven civ just...never learns how to do a certain task. It's possible, for instance, to have a parent civ that doesn't know how to keep domestic animals, or brew alcohol, or make certain types of armor. That...probably SHOULDN'T extend to the level of workshops and locations, but with DF who knows.

I once had a civ that hadn't invented the high boot yet. Couldn't make a single god drat one. The dwarves had never even heard of them. They didn't even seem to want to adopt the technology when it came in from outside, we're melting down goblin high boots and human high boots all day long but the dwarves just want their tiny little metal shoes

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Yeah, might be your civ doesn't know what writing is.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Turns out it's me who can't read good, the dwarves were perfectly fine making a library once I understood how to press butan.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Any interesting / fun (not Fun) land generation text files or additions to the worldgen that folks can link? I know DasTactic the youtuber has their fantasy land with like 200% more volanoes and lava per world gen - anyone got other favourites?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Iymarra posted:

Any interesting / fun (not Fun) land generation text files or additions to the worldgen that folks can link? I know DasTactic the youtuber has their fantasy land with like 200% more volanoes and lava per world gen - anyone got other favourites?

A few? posts up someone had a very cool outlier world and I'm pretty sure they saved it and uploaded for other people to use.

If not I'm sorry I'm on the Awful App so searching for something just isn't something I'm going to do

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:frogc00l:
Pillaging and razing are now options from the fort mode 'c' screen. You can bring back one piece of loot or one livestock critter per dwarf that returns from the raid (you can decide to turn either option off before they go.) Since we don't have actual production to replenish site stockpiles yet, we're handling it with a simple placeholder variable. The size of the raiding party vs. the current population of the site determines the depletion percentage, and the percentage repairs itself 1% per day if the site is inhabited. The percentage is the chance that an individual dwarf's loot action fails. So a ten dwarf attack on a small village can cause future pillaging to reduce returns or fail outright for months, while a 150 dwarf raid on a capital might cause a ~10% dip in returns for a few weeks. In the (distant) future, this can be replaced by numeric resource piles. Livestock, on the other hand, is actually taken from the site's animal population pools, regardless of the percentages.

On my first attack on a human village, the dwarves returned with a yak, a goose, and an alpaca, as well as a nicely decorated yak waterskin... and somebody's oaken crutch. When I sent a single dwarf to sneak into a goblin tower, she came back with a pair of silk goblin shoes. We might end up weighing them against picking up a bunch of junk after I try some larger raids, if the results are always that disappointing, he he he.

I still need to clean up a few issues with the razing code and make non-historical figures defend their sites. We're also considering throwing in an ongoing tribute option if the winds are favorable.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:krad:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

To hell with this loving farm life. I WANT SOME loving GOLD.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Dwarves - actually just kobolds with beards.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Amazing, I can't wait to start looting the random goblin places nearby. I still have trouble with people leaving and never coming back, but that might be an artifact from the world being generated before that bug was supposedly fixed. Will probably just generate a new world by then.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Can someone tell me what happened here?

I was expecting a demon or something but it was just a bunch of poo poo lying on the ground.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I dunno but "The Continents of Cooperating" is a pretty great name for a world.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Stairmaster posted:

Can someone tell me what happened here?

I was expecting a demon or something but it was just a bunch of poo poo lying on the ground.

Probably as simple as the town was under attack by an army and the populace either fled or died without taking those books.

I'm not aware of armies that are intending on conquering having any interest in taking artifacts.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ah, that makes sense.

on an unreleated note I learned the hard way autosave isn't on by default.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Question regarding Raids.

I sent a Raid out to a goblin fort that is about a day away. Fast forward 8 months later and they haven't returned. The squads have remained in a state of "travelling" this entire time.

Is there some way to recall them?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Usually if it bugs out, no. Did you lose your whole multiple squads or just some members? I've lost up to 3 members of a full squad before, and now I send smaller raiding parties just in case. This persisted past the bugs supposedly being fixed, but the world was generated before they were so I'm not sure if that is contributing or not. If you send a squad to raid but someone doesn't go immediately, the other members will wait just off the map until the last guy finally gets going, I had one guy who kept going back to get supplies or what not for almost a whole game month straight before I kicked him off the squad and the rest of the group then completed the mission with no problems. Usually I notice issues with missing people if someone takes forever to leave the map.

Currently there is a necromancer tower six days away with a bajillion books that I'm bringing back three at a time, almost all of them are written about the tower or about books written about the tower. Being a necromancer must be boring.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, Necromancers tend to be nerds who sit around writing about themselves or generally being lazy. I imagine that will likely change some once the magic arc is implemented, you'll probably find that every week some Necromancer's tower is exploding because they tried to magically transmute barrels of dragonfly ichor into cheese or whatever.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I didn't know how raids works so I sent 3 full squads to a goblin fort of 40ish citizens to see what would happen. After about 4 months, I noticed one guy was in my fort, and not leaving. I could just remove him from the squad. The rest have left the map and I'm guessing are lost.

Problem for me is that the commander was with them, and now I can't make more squads... :(

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Yeah, Necromancers tend to be nerds who sit around writing about themselves or generally being lazy. I imagine that will likely change some once the magic arc is implemented, you'll probably find that every week some Necromancer's tower is exploding because they tried to magically transmute barrels of dragonfly ichor into cheese or whatever.

Blood for spell components would finally give a use to all the barrels that merchants haul in. But you have to get the right kind of blood for the procedurally generated spell.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The rarest of reagents is the blood of a sober dwarf

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Danny LaFever posted:

I didn't know how raids works so I sent 3 full squads to a goblin fort of 40ish citizens to see what would happen. After about 4 months, I noticed one guy was in my fort, and not leaving. I could just remove him from the squad. The rest have left the map and I'm guessing are lost.

Problem for me is that the commander was with them, and now I can't make more squads... :(

I have the names drop off most of the dead squads after ~2 years, at which point you can delete the squad (and remake). That is probably a death sentence for most forts if your commander is frozen out for that long before you can appoint another one, though. =( Occasionally it lets me delete the squads earlier. I like this fort as it has generated some cool stories but maybe I'll make a new world with the newest version soon and see if that fixed some of the disappearing squad problems.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

Can they be a vampire?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tunicate posted:

Can they be a vampire?

Think for a second about what dwarven vampires, living in a dwarven community, drink. Then think about whether they're ever sober. :v:

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
The game doesn't give dwarf blood syndrome properties based on BAC.

Yet. :unsmigghh:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Pharohman777 posted:

A new use for your fifth soap maker! RimWorld parity incoming.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Update: Posting last night got me thinking about the raid and I ended up finding another dwarf that hung out at the fort and never left. Once I removed him from the squad. The rest returned and I got a gigantic report with a massive death tool.

I lost five dwarves, but it looks like they killed about 25 humans and goblins. Not a bad Raid.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:frog:

quote:

Razing is now complete. If you manage to drive off the inhabitants (whether you destroy all the structures or not), the site will become uninhabited and switch symbols on the map. Damage should be reflected in human towns if viewed later in adventure mode, but in sites without damageable structures, the inhabitants can still be evicted. An entire civilization you are at war with can theoretically be reduced to migrating refugee groups, but I have no idea if that can be achieved with a fort's worth of dwarves in practice. Skill and equipment matter and have a large effect on individual skirmishes, so it might be possible if you train and outfit squads very well. We'll get to combining your forces with other, larger forces off-site later.

Skills can now be improved by off-site dwarves, and they'll learn the appropriate combat skills as well as be rewarded for stealth. I've also implemented the military tactics skill, and, along with leadership and organization, it skews rolls in battles in opposition to the opponent's tactician skills (they gain skill as well.) You are also assessed the terrain penalties for attacking certain sites. All of what's happening here is reflected in the mission report.

Non-historical figures will also defend their sites (in particular, vaults are no longer automatically robbed when you send one dwarf to them.) This leads to your dwarves facing large numbers at times, but I made it a little less abstract than the world generation method, so the results should be somewhat less silly (which generally isn't good for your dwarves, as world gen fights sometimes have a single historical figure slay hundreds at a time, but the dwarves' full squads are also respected, so the new worse odds are mitigated.)

I've decided to go ahead with allowing you to demand tribute from sites, and that'll be the last thing before the release. Others demanding tribute from you and the ability to place administrators over conquered sites will happen with a future release, but this is a start.
:krad:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder how tribute will work? Being able to have a lowland civilization send you limestone would be cool, but having them send you piles of useless trinkets or cartloads of dirty laundry would suck. We don't want that crap, that's why we sold it the elves in the first place! Maybe physical coins? Coins are useless and nobody makes them these days, but I imagine they are supposed to still exist at least in the abstract.

Without the economy most stuff is useless though. Back when the economy was functioning (poorly) individual dwarfs would buy consumer trash related to their preferences and store it in their rooms, and get happy thoughts from acquiring and owning those things. Well, the rich ones got happy thoughts. The poor ones had to subsist on water and raw plump helmets, sleeping on the ground and dreaming of a communist uprising. Those were the days.

Remember the shops? You'd build these shops, generic shops, and once they were built they'd become one of 3 or 4 kinds of shop. Each shop could only hold 10 items, so you needed several clothing shops, and to get several clothing shops you'd have to build like a dozen generic shops. And then most shops would end up owned by children, because the children had access to the family funds, so the smith's kid had a ton of disposable wealth and nothing to do. You'd end up with this mall district staffed by tweens. Idiot tweens who'd often fill the clothing shop with clothes that don't even fit dwarfs, so you'd be counting on a noble with a sock fetish to come along and buy all the human-size socks you collected when the elephants killed the human caravan.

That's the sort of insanity that would make your tributaries sending you dog hair rings worthwhile.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
No the purpose of tribute is so your enemies know humiliation and despair when you throw their painfully wrought gifts straight into the lava then demand another wagon load lest they follow.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
If farming were made much more intensive / difficult, having your tributaries send you food would be historical-ish. You can't really have big urban centers without a hinterlands supporting them, so being able to go full dwarf Rome would be entertaining.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's the sort of insanity that would make your tributaries sending you dog hair rings worthwhile.

laughed so hard my nose sprayed water

my suggestion is to attempt full genocide by depopulating elf civilization into migrant groups with a single ultrafort endlessly raiding

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I kinda want to go back and play a 2D fortress with all the old insanity enabled now. :ohdear:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

each unit has to be custom and called like CHAINSAWS or WOODCHIPPER and PAYDAY AT THE PAPER MILL and all have axes, and torches made of the most rare and expensive wood possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Tiler Kiwi posted:

If farming were made much more intensive / difficult, having your tributaries send you food would be historical-ish. You can't really have big urban centers without a hinterlands supporting them, so being able to go full dwarf Rome would be entertaining.

:yeah:
I liked masterworks harder farming but it was still way too easy.
Growing seasons need to be reformed as do farm sizes and yields.