Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

https://themerkle.com/darknet-criminals-will-drop-bitcoin-in-favor-of-litecoin-and-dash-study-says/

Darknet Criminals Will Drop Bitcoin in Favor of Litecoin and Dash, Study Says

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Risc1911 posted:

A beautiful word salad ripe with buzzwords and bullshit. It's magical.

The video is even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcxSe56jXqY

The condition of promotion and widely application has been met because we say so!

It will resolve all these severe problems and establish Golden demonstration template.

One billion dollars at peak. The internet of things makes you stupid.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Risc1911 posted:

https://themerkle.com/darknet-criminals-will-drop-bitcoin-in-favor-of-litecoin-and-dash-study-says/

lol indeed, they're dropping Bitcoin in favor of Monero, not shitcoins like Dash

Dash is one of the more hilarious coins really, there was a "bug" in Dash when they launched it that essentially had the creators instamine 2 million coins, and instead of just relaunching the currency they kept the 2m coins. Dash is trading at a little over 600 dollars now, when BTC peaked it was at 1.6k.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 11, 2018

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Risc1911 posted:

:nsallears:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Enjoy that $600 power bill.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

almost 15 amps :yikes: :pwn:

you'll need to replace the circuit breaker with heavy gauge wire to daisy chain them.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 11, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Brb running three phase into my house so I can run my mining rig.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tokamak posted:

almost 15 amps :yikes: :pwn:

you'll need to replace the circuit breaker with heavy gauge wire to daisy chain them.

Naw, just tape the breaker closed.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Powershift posted:

Naw, just tape the breaker closed.

I learned from the osha thread that it'll still trip, you just won't be able to reset it without removing the tape. Instead, replace your fuses with nails.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I recall seeing many years ago a bitcoiner's custom wiring job, complete with nails and smoking wires.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The free market doesn't stop me from creating a fire hazard so it must be okay

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Cops raid house thinking it's a weed grow up, find out it's actually mining bitcoins, still shoot the owner.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Any judge with half a brain is going to make a bitcoin husband just fork over half the current value to their divorcee. It happens with houses and cars and other assets all the time. Sometimes it means the asset will have to be liquidated.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

here comes another dip :getin:

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I'm not trying to be some crypto market speculation expert, but I think Sunday night / Monday morning us time has been pretty consistent for huge dips.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Any judge with half a brain is going to make a bitcoin husband just fork over half the current value to their divorcee. It happens with houses and cars and other assets all the time. Sometimes it means the asset will have to be liquidated.

How do you calculate the current value of an asset that fluctuates so wildly?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

How do you calculate the current value of an asset that fluctuates so wildly?
very easily once you disregard the concept of fairness but if youre talking about bitcoin the actual value has consistently been $0

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
msi geforce gtx 1080 in stock $650
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127950

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wtf it won't even let me buy 50

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

deadwing posted:

here comes another dip :getin:

I wonder if it'll be the USD tether printer, the Euro tether printer, or the USD ether tether printer that swings into action on this one.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hahaha, out of stock. gently caress miners.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

belt posted:

Hahaha, out of stock. gently caress miners.
not yet but i like your posting in advance style

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh you're right, for some reason it was showing out of stock for me and now it's not.

but yeah, gently caress miners.

edit: and now it's showing it again

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
All of the experts have gotten together and with their expert technical analysis of the market the consensus is that this dip to below $8,000 bitcoins is going to be the last chance to get cheap coins before a "Crypto Spring" that dodecatuples all prices while also being the end of cryptocurrency as we know it as the last crash before everything becomes worthless.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That Leonardo Dicaprio video was pretty good. He's gained a lot of weight, too.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Holy poo poo that sold out in two hours okjsdhgkjhlololol

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

gary oldmans diary posted:

not yet but i like your posting in advance style

You might have caught it when someone was cancelling an order and it restocked.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
that sounds like the most likely scenario

now ill have a 4gb 960 a 6gb 1060 and this 8gb 1080. gotta get rid of 2 of them
if i had any idea it would take this long to get to the next line of nvidia cards i wouldve just gotten a 1080 way back when. there was 20 months between the geforce 9 and geforce 10 lines. right now we are at 21 months since the 10 launch and dont really have any idea when 11 is actually going to drop
meanwhile nvidia has said a few things that can be summarised as gently caress the bitcoin miners

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

meanwhile nvidia has said a few things that can be summarised as gently caress the bitcoin miners

https://www.coindesk.com/nvidia-ceo-says-cryptocurrency-not-going-go-away/

That sure sounds like "keep buying our poo poo, miners"

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/10/bitgrail-170-million-unauthorized-transactions/

quote:

One of the biggest problems with cryptocurrency exchanges is that they're a juicy, enticing target for high-tech criminals. Case in point, Italian exchange BitGrail, which lost $170 million worth of Nano tokens, a little-known digital coin previously called RaiBlocks. BitGrail is the second exchange that lost of massive amount of money this year -- and it's only February -- following Tokyo-based Coincheck, which lost between $400 and $534 million worth of coins in a cyberattack on its internet-connected wallet back in January.

BitGrail announced on its website that it lost $170 million to fraudulent transactions and that it has already reported them to authorities. It has suspended all withdrawals and deposits "in order to conduct further verifications." However, unlike Coincheck, which promised to give users their money back, BitGrail founder Francesco "The Bomber" Firano announced on Twitter that there's no way to refund 100 percent of what users lost.

:tif:

HODL!

Risc1911 fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 11, 2018

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i guess if anything sounds like whatever you want it to sound like then yeah hes practically begging miners to keep buying in that article. or drink barbecue sauce. whatever you want

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

i guess if anything sounds like whatever you want it to sound like then yeah hes practically begging miners to keep buying in that article. or drink barbecue sauce. whatever you want

quote:

"And as you know, tens of millions of virtual goods are created and shared and sold in virtual reality, and people invest thousands of hours to create space ships in space that they battle against each other. So, the concept of virtual goods and virtual worlds and virtual currency all ties together."

Bitcoin, EVE ISK, whatever Star Citizen money is - it's all just play money and they all tie together
- Nvidia CEO

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
he basically said "yes a portion of our business has been people buying cards to mine crypto" and that is being played as though it nullifies previous nvidia statements such as when they asked retail outlets to stop selling to miners

if this isnt already in perspective and i have to work to make that happen for such a worthless argument then someone better pay me. i will be launching an ico for that later this afternoon

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Has nVidia raised the wholesale price of graphics cards, or are retailers the ones marking them up?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Has nVidia raised the wholesale price of graphics cards, or are retailers the ones marking them up?
It's complicated. Wholesale price is likely up $20-$50 because the memory cartel is charging them significantly more for memory, but then there is the ridiculous demand compared to paltry supply. The worst part is, the demand is only growing by actual users of GPUs not being able to get their hands on cards.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/7wsc7z/bank_tried_to_stop_me_buying_cryptocurrency_made/

quote:

I attempted to buy some Ripple with my credit card only for it to be declined. I contacted the exchange who said it was blocked by my bank not by them. The bank confirmed they indeed blocked my purchase. Frankly this is total bullshit that they can tell people what they can do with their own money.

I immediately withdrew all the money in my account and maxed my credit cards buying as much useless stuff as possible. I then cancelled all my direct debits including my house payments. I then told the bank it's their problem now since it was never my money it must not be my debts either. They started spouting some crap I didn't listen to and I've now blocked them on my phone and email so there's nothing they can do about it now.

Banks don't want you to know they literally cannot do anything about this and they have no way of making you pay them back. I was originally concerned about my extra mortgages but I realized the banks have no idea what your private key is so they literally can't take any crypto off you.

:shepspends: is that you zuarg? :shepspends:

Risc1911 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 11, 2018

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

quote:

credit card ... their own money
lol.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

realistically that's not a bad plan. debtor prison doesn't exist anymore so there's literally nothing a bank can do to you once you declare bankruptcy and HODL your private keys. get hosed banksters

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

you guys know that's a troll right? cryptonerds are very easy to troll but don't gaze into the abyss too long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wow that guy really hosed himself over financially.