Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

ulmont posted:

Saints: Vikings and Rams
Panthers: Lions and Seahawks
Falcons: Packers and Cardinals
Buccaneers: Bears and 49ers

Yeah, that's gonna suck.

Bah, I forgot we got Green Bay next year. IN Green Bay no less. Saints with Vikings and Rams, ouch. Those will be great games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

ulmont posted:

Saints: Vikings and Rams
Panthers: Lions and Seahawks
Falcons: Packers and Cardinals
Buccaneers: Bears and 49ers

Yeah, that's gonna suck.

poo poo it's a pretty good year to get the #2 schedule, considering the Lions are going through a coaching change and the Seahawks secondary is literally turning to dust

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

So, you're expecting a loss in the championship round? I mean, there's not a lot of "better" between "lost in the divisional round" and "superbowl"...

...not to mention the 2016 season was 11-5 and the 2017 season was 10-6, so not a lot of dropoff.

They could lose out in the wildcard, but I believe they will do better in the regular season and be more consistent on offense.

What I'm saying is anything less than play-offs is a disappointment.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 5, 2018

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
So long big fella

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/960643489359912960

What was his diagnosis anyway? Is this something he can live a long healthy life with and just not play football?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

weird Asian candy posted:

So long big fella

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/960643489359912960

What was his diagnosis anyway? Is this something he can live a long healthy life with and just not play football?

Only thing I've heard is an unspecified heart condition.

Most speculative poo poo I've seen is that it's arrhythmia which isn't super uncommon but who knows. They can't release the full reason without breaking the law.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Bah, I forgot we got Green Bay next year. IN Green Bay no less. Saints with Vikings and Rams, ouch. Those will be great games.

Have you seen us play Green Bay recently? Not saying we'll win but they aren't that scary.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Have you seen us play Green Bay recently? Not saying we'll win but they aren't that scary.

We've had their number for sure, but lol if you don't think this will be some December 18th game where it will be -7 by kickoff. Remember the last time we were up there? Julio went all Julio and we still lost.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

What the poo poo is going on in Carolina???

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doing a meltdown bad enough that only the English will want them.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

this?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article198733334.html

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Yea

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Nothing like family drama with your football team (Hello Benson clan!)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
8 years ago today was a glorious day! Pigs flew, hell froze over, and the Saints won the Super Bowl.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3264415

Good times.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Silly Burrito posted:

8 years ago today was a glorious day! Pigs flew, hell froze over, and the Saints won the Super Bowl.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3264415

Good times.

Porter TD starts here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3264415&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=183

I don't think I ever posted in that thread because I was hungover from Bourbon st the night before and then swiftly got drunk again the next morning and wasn't checking SA on my phone back then.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

That Works posted:

Porter TD starts here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3264415&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=183

I don't think I ever posted in that thread because I was hungover from Bourbon st the night before and then swiftly got drunk again the next morning and wasn't checking SA on my phone back then.

Reading through it, it reads like this year's GDT, just swap the Colts for the Patriots for the team that 99% of TFF did not want to win.

There's a hell of a lot of posters in there that I haven't seen in years.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Happy Anniversary! It's been 8 years already?!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Happy Anniversary! It's been 8 years already?!

Yup.

I'm honestly a bit surprised that Brees is still playing for us, and still playing really well. Wouldn't have thought that 8 yrs ago.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

That Works posted:

Yup.

I'm honestly a bit surprised that Brees is still playing for us, and still playing really well. Wouldn't have thought that 8 yrs ago.

It was one hell of a FA signing, huh? Struck gold with Peyton and Drew. To think he almost went to Miami.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

So my buddy texts me out of the blue "You are a fan of the ATL Falcons right?" I say unfortunately, yes...yes I am, why do you ask? He says I have something for you and proceeds to send me a pic of this...

That's pretty cool and I'm kinda geeking out over it with it being the last Falcon game played in the dome and how that game went.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

That's pretty loving cool.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

BlindSite posted:

That's pretty loving cool.

Thought so too, can't wait for it to get here! Thought you guys would understand my excitement for something many people would probably not understand :)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

So my buddy texts me out of the blue "You are a fan of the ATL Falcons right?" I say unfortunately, yes...yes I am, why do you ask? He says I have something for you and proceeds to send me a pic of this...

That's pretty cool and I'm kinda geeking out over it with it being the last Falcon game played in the dome and how that game went.

That's rad as gently caress, dude.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Hell yes, that's pretty cool.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

That’s some rad grass.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

That’s some rad grass.

smoke the turf imo

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I was gonna make some pithy terrible joke about how it looks like it hasn't seen a lot of use or whatever but honestly that's cool as gently caress and I'm pretty jealous.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

zimbomonkey posted:

I was gonna make some pithy terrible joke about how it looks like it hasn't seen a lot of use or whatever but honestly that's cool as gently caress and I'm pretty jealous.

:hfive:

Cant wait to get it! I gotta come up with some cool shadow box idea for it...make a cool display highlighting it. Too bad Im not creative :effort:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm not gonna be rude at all, thats a neat item and I hope you and your bag are very happy and eventually settle down and have children together.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Sweet

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wow that's a hell of a nice gift. You owe that dude some beers.

Edit: Pales in comparison to yours but my father in law out of nowhere one day comes up to me and says 'hey I have a present' and pulls out a folder with a copy of an old pro-football guide. Inside is the article on Dempsey breaking the FG distance record for the Saints. He just had this sitting in a file cabinet in the basement and looked it up one day to give it to me. :unsmith: He's from MA and is a Patriots fan.

Kinda pales against the team being good today, but it was always a minor point of pride for Saints fans when we were really terrible.

That Works fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 8, 2018

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Thats a great gift dude! What did you do with it?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thats a great gift dude! What did you do with it?

Keeping it stored in the folder he gave it to me in for now. Not really sure what would be the best thing for it. I guess frame it at some point but then I'd have to remove the page etc and not sure if I should or not. It's not really something that has a lot of high value on its own, so I could take it apart but haven't really made any moves yet. We're still bouncing around rental houses for now, once we settle down in a permanent thing maybe I'll try to do something cooler with it then.

Edit:

What are you gonna do with your turf?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

That Works posted:

Keeping it stored in the folder he gave it to me in for now. Not really sure what would be the best thing for it. I guess frame it at some point but then I'd have to remove the page etc and not sure if I should or not. It's not really something that has a lot of high value on its own, so I could take it apart but haven't really made any moves yet. We're still bouncing around rental houses for now, once we settle down in a permanent thing maybe I'll try to do something cooler with it then.

Edit:

What are you gonna do with your turf?

Gotcha, just dont lose it in the moves! I had a signed Allen Iverson "Make Some Noise" signs they hand out before games to fans and I have no clue where it is now after our moves :(

I havent figured it out yet. Some sort of shadow box display with the dome and pics of some of the highlights from that season but im not entirely sure yet.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Save some pinches of the grass for rituals whenever we have need a big 4th down in big games and stuff

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Falcons and Saints ranked 1 and 2 in some random franchise stability index I have never heard of before right now...

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/2/8/16989146/nfl-stability-index

quote:

1. Atlanta Falcons
If this feels underwhelming, that’s because, well, it is underwhelming—but the Falcons’ place atop these rankings hints at the current state of tumult across the league. In three years at the helm, head coach Dan Quinn has proved to be a savvy game planner (see: the team’s wild-card win over the Rams) and capable leader, and is in no danger of losing his job. Both coordinators will return (a rarity this year), the schemes and language therein remain unchanged, and both sides of the ball are packed with talent—with few major holes to patch. There’s plenty of hand-wringing in Atlanta about the decision to retain offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian, but a drop-off from the team’s offensive explosion under Kyle Shanahan in 2016 was completely predictable (plus, they weren’t as bad as you might think from an efficiency point of view, finishing ninth in offensive DVOA). This isn’t the sexy top pick, but it’s hard to find a team that checks more stability boxes.

2. New Orleans Saints
The only reason the Saints aren’t no. 1 on this list is because of one small, technical detail: Drew Brees is a free agent. However, it’s all but a lock that Brees returns to New Orleans in 2018 and plays under Sean Payton’s guidance for the 12th time in the past 13 years. That kind of head coach–quarterback relationship is practically unheard of outside New England, Pittsburgh, or Green Bay, and sets the Saints up to hit the ground running: Brees still has his top-tier outside threat Michael Thomas, his elite offensive line, running back Mark Ingram, and Offensive Rookie of the Year Alvin Kamara. On the other side of the ball, defensive coordinator Dennis Allen returns for his fourth year on the job, and retains most of the key players on his top-tier defense.

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
The Buccaneers boast plenty of stability in the form of returning head coach Dirk Koetter, offensive coordinator Todd Monken, defensive coordinator Mike Smith, quarterback Jameis Winston, and offensive stars Mike Evans and DeSean Jackson. But that stability is tenuous: Tampa Bay underachieved on both sides of the ball in 2017, so Koetter heads into next season with one of the warmest seats in the league. If he can’t quickly right the ship, a coaching staff reboot may be in order.

15. Carolina Panthers
Quarterback Cam Newton was erratic as a passer for most of last season, the team fired offensive coordinator Mike Shula and lost defensive coordinator Steve Wilks to the Cardinals’ head-coach job, and the franchise is up for sale. But under new offensive coordinator Norv Turner, much of the language and play design should remain the same, making for what should be a relatively smooth transition, and another year in the system should pay dividends for both running back Christian McCaffrey and receiver Devin Funchess. Plus, this club can still lean on its always dependable defense, anchored by linebacker Luke Kuechly and defensive tackle Kawann Short.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
replaying the hits all offseason

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Falcons and Saints ranked 1 and 2 in some random franchise stability index I have never heard of before right now...

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/2/8/16989146/nfl-stability-index

Ringer is just slapping the word index on poo poo like they ran it through a normalization formula.

But Danny Kelly is pretty good and is probably correct. Neither team has any major FA to sign other than Brees. Neither team got poached for major coaching positions, so both teams should basically be the same next year. FA could change that up, potentially. Saints have "more" cap space, but won't after signing Brees, so they're about even there too.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Chilichimp posted:

replaying the hits all offseason

Needs more curling

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/TBBuccaneers/status/963207489125863430

https://twitter.com/TBBuccaneers/status/963559428816605185