Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Mr.Radar posted:

Leon Thomas announced his next feature-length Renegade Cut will be about the DCEU, what it says about the state of the film industry, and how it fits into our current media discourse. There's a short teaser here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFgfyVaH7JA

He says it will be out around the end of the year. I can't wait :munch:

quote:

What attracts the DCEU's demographic to its content, and why is said demographic so adamant in its defense of such a product?

That ain't inspiring confidence but maybe we'll get more gems like "Superman failed to save the family at the end of Man of Steel" or "Superman is rewarded with a hug after killing Zod"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

if there's anything that dispels the notion that fans of the DCEU are weirdly overdefensive of it, it's acting like a petulant baby before even knowing if someone is being critical of it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lessail posted:

That ain't inspiring confidence but maybe we'll get more gems like "Superman failed to save the family at the end of Man of Steel" or "Superman is rewarded with a hug after killing Zod"

Alt accounts aren't allowed Lamps.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
When are comics going to die down again?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Alaois posted:

if there's anything that dispels the notion that fans of the DCEU are weirdly overdefensive of it, it's acting like a petulant baby before even knowing if someone is being critical of it

I'm glad you decided I'm a fan of a thing I've only seen two movies of lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That makes you being overly defensive weirder.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lessail posted:

sorry i just got the impression from the many times you've thrown a fit in this thread because other people didn't like the movies or zack snyder

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Alaois posted:

sorry i just got the impression from the many times you've thrown a fit in this thread because other people didn't like the movies or zack snyder

Yes that's what I've done, you've cracked the code.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
sadly none of the dceu movies are redeemable on any level

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Wasn't Wonder Woman pretty okay?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Man of Steel is one of my favorite comic-based films of all time. It touches on interesting ideas, it has good casting, amazing music and a perfect ending fight. Dunno what more you could want from a superhero flick.

But I don't really like the usual suspects of comic movies. The Crow is my other favorite comic movie, for instance.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Crow was a lot more wisecrackin' than I was expecting going in to it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I thought the Constantine starring Keanu Reeves was pretty good. Better than the NBC series, that's for sure.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Terrible Opinions posted:

if you like insufferable neoliberalism, sure

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

So is anyone else gonna admit Mystery Men is the best comic book movie... or do I eat this sandwich?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I Before E posted:

So is anyone else gonna admit Mystery Men is the best comic book movie... or do I eat this sandwich?

Wes Studi could make an entire movie out if speaking only in platitudes.

My personal favorite superhero movie will still always be the first Spider-Man.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Terrible Opinions posted:

Best of the bunch.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I Before E posted:

No, because as good as Mystery Men is, the best comic book movie was, is, and forever will be, Blade (1998, Dir. Stephen Norrington).

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 11, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

I remember the topic of game dev unionizing coming up in another thread (I think it was because Dave Oshry or someone suggested it), and it think I would be a good move, because it means crunch time would disappear if they could get overtime pay.

However, I know a couple of people were skeptical about it happening; not because of the above reasons, but just because of the culture.

A couple of comments from the thread, with names omitted:

quote:

If a massive wage fixing scandal didn't make s Google, Intel and whoever the gently caress else unionize nothing in the planet will ever make game devs unionize.

Tech workers are too individualistic to see themselves as part of an oppressed working class and too prone to being workaholics to stay mad at the boss

quote:

They will unionize when they reinvent the union through some sort of app. Something with a name like RateMyBiz I suppose, where they'll complain about their working conditions, crunchtime, and so on. From this sharing will come solidarity hashtags, and then events like strikes and finally collective bargaining. But they'll never call it a union.

quote:

quote:

Every occupation should be unionised
I dunno, some parts of chemistry and physics rely on things being ionized pretty heavily. :v:

I know that last one is a joke. It' just that I couldn't pass up posting it.

Alaois posted:

I feel like we can't slam the DC Cinematic Universe fans for being overly-defensive as hard anymore now that people are in a tizzy over Black Panther losing its 100% rating over a single negative review.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Max Wilco posted:

I feel like we can't slam the DC Cinematic Universe fans for being overly-defensive as hard anymore now that people are in a tizzy over Black Panther losing its 100% rating over a single negative review.

Same thing happened with The Dark Knight and Toy Story 3, though. Any highly regarded Hollywood movie invariably gets a dissenting opinion, it's only natural.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Spark That Bled posted:

Same thing happened with The Dark Knight and Toy Story 3, though. Any highly regarded Hollywood movie invariably gets a dissenting opinion, it's only natural.

Look, I'm sorry, but I liked Batman Begins way better, and Dark Knight felt like it should have ended thirty minutes earlier than it actually did.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Except Armand White's troll reviews were actually funny. His hilariously intentionally misinformed toy story 3 review was great for taking the piss out of thin skinned dummies who fixate on review score aggregates by being as inflammatory as possible.
It's a far cry from the legitimately delusional nutcases review bombing to kill essjews

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 11, 2018

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Max Wilco posted:

I remember the topic of game dev unionizing coming up in another thread (I think it was because Dave Oshry or someone suggested it), and it think I would be a good move, because it means crunch time would disappear if they could get overtime pay.

However, I know a couple of people were skeptical about it happening; not because of the above reasons, but just because of the culture.

A couple of comments from the thread, with names omitted:

Tech nerds are basically told "you're special and smart and tech is a meritocracy. Not to mention all those unfilled engineering/programming jobs! The market is begging for you! If you unionize you're going to have to accept the same wages as those bad programmers, but you're special and different and can make at least twice what they do! You'd just be screwing yourself over!"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ok which video is that from

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Ok which video is that from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZymSrDfLhW8

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Arcsquad12 posted:

Except Armand White's troll reviews were actually funny. His hilariously intentionally misinformed toy story 3 review was great for taking the piss out of thin skinned dummies who fixate on review score aggregates by being as inflammatory as possible.
It's a far cry from the legitimately delusional nutcases review bombing to kill essjews

Armand White wasn't just claiming it was satire after the fact to cover his tracks?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arcsquad12 posted:

Armond White is garbage.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ugh how did I not figure out that he was publishing his new videos on SBnation instead of his own channel

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

He obviously never actually hung out with actual union members. LOOOOOT of Trump voters, at least in my union.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 11, 2018

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It seems odd that Renegade Cut's feature length critical look at the DCEU is probably gonna encourage more furious backlash and complaint than his feature length critical look at a series of films beloved by right-wing American Christians, but these are strange times we live in.

I watched his Left Behind video this morning, really great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spark That Bled posted:

People had actually seen those movies, though. :v:

Karloff posted:

It seems odd that Renegade Cut's feature length critical look at the DCEU is probably gonna encourage more furious backlash and complaint than his feature length critical look at a series of films beloved by right-wing American Christians, but these are strange times we live in.

I think the people who would ordinarily get upset over videos critiquing right-wing American Christian movies probably aren't watching them, whereas people who enjoy comic book movies probably are.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Spark That Bled posted:

Armand White wasn't just claiming it was satire after the fact to cover his tracks?

He’s never claimed to be a troll. The most damning thing about him by far is that he’s a black man who willingly works for The National Review.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anybody made a video (or even written an article) about all the abortive cinematic universes Hollywood studios have attempted over the past five years or so?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Has anybody made a video (or even written an article) about all the abortive cinematic universes Hollywood studios have attempted over the past five years or so?

How many are there besides DCEU, Universal's Dark Universe, and Sony's Spider-Manless Spider-Man movies?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lessail posted:

It's fine. You're allowed to like garbage. :smug::smug::smug::smug:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It, at worst, could just be another pretentious video that gatekeeps what is legitimate film reading and/or making assumptions about an entire fanbase that you can just throw on to the pile. At best, it'll take a look at the films and view them through the lens of a fan then break down why they think people like the films to much (and may or may not frame it like they're wrong or delusional).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mraagvpeine posted:

How many are there besides DCEU, Universal's Dark Universe, and Sony's Spider-Manless Spider-Man movies?

Which was the one that was immediately declared dead after the first film? The Dark Universe?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Isn't Warner Bros doing a Kaiju universe (with the 2014 Godzilla and the 2016 King Kong)? Also, Star Wars probably qualifies as a "cinematic universe" at this point with all the theatrical spin-offs in addition to the sequels.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Tech nerds are basically told "you're special and smart and tech is a meritocracy. Not to mention all those unfilled engineering/programming jobs! The market is begging for you! If you unionize you're going to have to accept the same wages as those bad programmers, but you're special and different and can make at least twice what they do! You'd just be screwing yourself over!"

I think that's a very uncharitable analysis of the situation. I'm not saying that these opinions might not be pervasive in the industry, but this type of toxic masculinity is prevalent in a lot of fields that were/are unionized.

I think the problem in tech is closer to the problem in many grad schools, namely, the amount of churn, combined with something that is not exactly applicable to research universities, namely the small size of many of the companies (but maybe research groups/individual advisers are an appropriate framework).

I could see unionization in a company like Amazon or Google in the sense that a lot of people are there for the long haul, there's a quantifiable measure of progression, more-or-less clearly defined disciplines, etc. There it's going to be a matter of policing and bribing people to avoid unionization.

But smaller companies have a lack of structure and are likely to expand and contract a lot. If you're going to be working for 5 companies in the next 10 years, or if you work mostly for startups or smaller companies, the value you might get from somehow managing to get a union running in one of them will be outweighed by the danger of this distracting you from keeping that company from tanking or you from getting to a future C-suite position, or getting you a bad rap which would make it harder for you to transition from company 2 to company 3.

I would be interested in reading more about unionization in the tech sector if someone has good reading material, I'm only working from my own thoughts and my experiences with unions and governance in academia.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mraagvpeine posted:

Maybe it's not even cinematic universes so much as it's really obvious attempts to start franchises rather than focusing on making a good movie. For example, Ghostbusters 2016 was supposed to establish a "Ghost Corps" franchise.

The most recent Transformers movie was trying to do something similar, as was the Guy Ritchie King Arthur movie, the Dark Tower movie and even the Power Rangers movie (someone at Lionsgate was saying "we have plans for the next five or six movies" before the first one even came out) from last year. There's been talk of some kind of Robin Hood shared universe for a while (and there's that naff-looking one with Taron Egerton out later this year). More recently, you arguably have Cloverfield as well. The one that seems to have done best so far is that Kongzilla one and it only has two movies so far.

Dark Universe even has two false starts you can talk about (potentially three; I'm not sure if the underrated Wolfman remake with Benicio Del Toro was supposed to start something).

The one I'm most disappointed never happened actually goes all the way back to 1997, when MGM wanted to produce a spin-off from Tomorrow Never Dies which was going to focus on Colonel Wai Lin and was going to be a big Hollywood vehicle for Michelle Yeoh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I Before E posted:

Nuh uh. Blade.

• Locked thread