Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Doesn't most OPP stuff go platinum the day of release?

Not at all. Beckett’s Jyhad Diary and Changing Ways are Electrum after a month, Half-Damned came out around the same time as Arms and is Gold. I’m really only going by supplements for this comparison though, as anything Core and by OPP is definitely Platinum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Who would buy a book called Jihad Diary

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Plutonis posted:

Who would buy a book called Jihad Diary

It's actually really good.

It's worth noting that these numbers are a bit misleading, because some of these books got Kickstarted, and I don't think the Kickstarter buyers who got the book through a free copy will be counted as part of DTRPG's metrics, so, say, Beckett may have sold better than it looks, compared to Arms of the Chosen, which was only ever sold through DTRPG.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Rand Brittain posted:

It's actually really good.

Yeah if you wanna end out on a loving watchlist.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

gradenko_2000 posted:

is this bad? I only know Mayfair from Patchwork, which is a cool and good game.

from the board game thread, regarding games by publishers that are now owned by Asmodee

quote:

Five Tribes is now $51 (15% off MSRP) at CSI/MM. It used to be in the $39 area.

Pandemic is now $32-34 at CH and MM. It used to be in the $25-27 range.

First Class is $40-42 at CH and MM. It used to be around $33.

Ticket to Ride/Small World (DoW also owned by Asmodee) is now $42 at MM/CSI. It used to be around $35-38.

note that I actually think board games are underpriced in general, much like how this forum often feels about tabletop rpgs. That said, that extra money isn't going to designers or artists, and is basically just anti-consumer pricing.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

How long ago is "used to be"?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Sion posted:

I have to admit I kind of enjoy the thought of some NSA agent finding themselves on this trail and being drawn helplessly into the endless hell of trying to understand the oWoD metaplot with no context.

Eventually they discover Loomer and his Project, and are never seen again.

(This actually happened once with some Illuminati nut, who ran into wiki articles on "the Technocracy," and could never afterwards be convinced that the Technocracy was fictional.)

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 10, 2018

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

That Old Tree posted:

How long ago is "used to be"?

Well Five Tribes is like 3 years old so presumably not that long

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

It's bad. Mayfair has been a minor but consistent player in RPGs and boardgames for a long time. The back catalog is impresssive; a lot of late 80s/early 90s RPG supplements, both the Hammer's Slammers and Forever War wargame adaptions.

They also did Chill which I'm glad exists, and Underground which is one of the most hilariously grimdark games I've ever read.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Sion posted:

The things most tabletop gamers and DMs I know have googled will get us on watchlists anyway. I once had to google 'average volume of blood in a human infant' for a game, for instance, right before 'pulping human beings for blood' for one of my players. You think that doesn't get you on a special watchlist?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Loomer posted:

The things most tabletop gamers and DMs I know have googled will get us on watchlists anyway. I once had to google 'average volume of blood in a human infant' for a game, for instance, right before 'pulping human beings for blood' for one of my players. You think that doesn't get you on a special watchlist?

Another luckless NSA agent is going through all the Google searches trying to figure out which ones indicate dangerous mental illness and which ones are just weird.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
"Huh, this guy googled for both 'inspirational architecture' and 'd20 demolition manual'. Terrorist or gamer, you reckon? Oh, wait, no. He just googled for 'what the gently caress are prawns'. Just a goon."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Some kind of pastry, I think.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

What are shrimp? We just don't know.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm still mildly surprised that Masquerade still uses "Jihad". Of all the things to keep...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Technically it's Jyhad, since it's 90's pretentious goth poo poo and all i's must be y.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
A friend of mine insisted on pronouncing it 'Jeyehad' because of that drat Y.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Pope Guilty posted:

Technically it's Jyhad, since it's 90's pretentious goth poo poo and all i's must be y.

Look, I'm trying to forget here. :(

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

please dont disrespect my powerful magycks

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Vămpýrë: thę Mãşqůêrädė

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

grassy gnoll posted:

Some kind of pastry, I think.

I understood this joke!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
John Morke's "fall from grace" also involved sexual harassment of several women during his time working on Exalted 3e, and that should be included when talking about his involvement in what happened with OPP and is part of why he was fired.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Comrade Gorbash posted:

John Morke's "fall from grace" also involved sexual harassment of several women during his time working on Exalted 3e, and that should be included when talking about his involvement in what happened with OPP and is part of why he was fired.

Can people that work with OPP stop, like, sexually assaulting women please that would be great

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Comrade Gorbash posted:

True, although I don't actually know whether OPP knew about that when the whole thing fell apart.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wraith PDF is out for backers, and apparently the first number of pages is a reprint of the Face of Death art book. Fun!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

moths posted:

Wraith PDF is out for backers, and apparently the first number of pages is a reprint of the Face of Death art book. Fun!

It is great so far. Love that the minor Guilds are included too. Solicitors Guild 4 Life Death!

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

True, although I don't actually know whether OPP knew about that when the whole thing fell apart.

At this point claiming no knowledge of abuser's behavior is incredibly suspect at best. Like, that platitude was always pretty ridiculous but it's especially obvious now that a) often really not true and b) not recognizing sexual harassment isn't a very good excuse and that's usually what "I had no idea" means if I'm being charitable

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Darwinism posted:

At this point claiming no knowledge of abuser's behavior is incredibly suspect at best. Like, that platitude was always pretty ridiculous but it's especially obvious now that a) often really not true and b) not recognizing sexual harassment isn't a very good excuse and that's usually what "I had no idea" means if I'm being charitable

That's true; I'm just clarifying that we don't actually know that, since they never gave an official reason.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Darwinism posted:

This is exactly why I resent it when everyone just brushes off people like Aatrek or Shmorky or Loosechanj or whoever else here by saying “well, they were eventually gotten rid of, so there’s no need to wonder if they were the result of a deeper problem or were being enabled by the culture of the community” :colbert:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mods... knew?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Xarbala posted:

Mods... knew?

Well, I'm pretty sure almost everyone knew at least about Shmorky and Loosechanj, for roughly the better part of a decade. It's just okay to poo poo-talk them for it all now because they're not forums superstars or whatever anymore.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bedlamdan posted:

Well, I'm pretty sure almost everyone knew at least about Shmorky and Loosechanj, for roughly the better part of a decade. It's just okay to poo poo-talk them for it all now because they're not forums superstars or whatever anymore.

I don't.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Schmorky apparently lives in my city and I live in constant fear of running into them.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bedlamdan posted:

This is exactly why I resent it when everyone just brushes off people like Aatrek or Shmorky or Loosechanj or whoever else here by saying “well, they were eventually gotten rid of, so there’s no need to wonder if they were the result of a deeper problem or were being enabled by the culture of the community” :colbert:

People don't "brush it off," people are just tired of you derailing unrelated discussions with this lovely "I'm just asking questions!" schtick for the umpteenth time.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

People don't "brush it off," people are just tired of you derailing unrelated discussions with this lovely "I'm just asking questions!" schtick for the umpteenth time.

Darwinism said that claiming no knowledge of abusers is suspect, I mentioned multiple instances where our own community claimed no knowledge of abusers and why I found that suspect. It's not a derail, and I honestly think you're just reacting so viscerally because I'm mentioning a problem on SA itself rather than rpg.net or ENWorld or whatever the gently caress.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bedlamdan posted:

Darwinism said that claiming no knowledge of abusers is suspect, I mentioned multiple instances where our own community claimed no knowledge of abusers and why I found that suspect. It's not a derail, and I honestly think you're just reacting so viscerally because I'm mentioning a problem on SA itself rather than rpg.net or ENWorld or whatever the gently caress.

I don't actually give two shits whether SA closes up shop tomorrow or not because I'm not a broke-brained idiot prone to weird obsessions.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

I don't really see that anybody is "just asking questions"; they are making a fairly straightforward statement that they don't believe in your sincerity.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Nobody here's trying to defend Lowtax. We're pretty fond of Ettin, but Ettin doesn't run Something Awful. Lowtax's lovely admin decisions are irrelevant to the situation.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't really see that anybody is "just asking questions"; they are making a fairly straightforward statement that they don't believe in your sincerity.

I also don't give a poo poo whether you or Bedlamdan "believe in my sincerity" and also you can go gently caress yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

I also don't give a poo poo whether you or Bedlamdan "believe in my sincerity" and also you can go gently caress yourself.

I mean, it's not like I thought you did; your complaints just don't match up to what you're complaining about.

• Locked thread