Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What if I specify that I have a viking-style shield?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Sadly it doesn't matter cause there's only one type of shield in 5e. There aren't greatshields, bucklers, or the neat viking shields where they can easily hold a dagger/short weapon while the shield is strapped to that arm.

Unless the DM allows other types of shields, of course.

Edit:

So Matt Colville's Kickstarter for the book/minis/D&D show has hit $700k in two days.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
How much for a Kickstarter to add more shields?

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My friend who DMs our STK game was telling me yesterday that the other group he is running had a very bad experience this week and hes seriously thought about cancelling the other game because of it.

Hug your good players and tell them that they are good.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Just today I am also DMing for the first time. Doing the starter set. Will post a trip report on possible torture and taming wolves.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

There's some room for flexibility in the shield department since right now shields assume you give up a hand and gain +2AC. You could easily have a buckler that adds +1 to AC instead, though you'd have to be careful with that because then there's no tradeoff, literally everyone should have one. You'd have to disadvantage it in some other way.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mendrian posted:

There's some room for flexibility in the shield department since right now shields assume you give up a hand and gain +2AC. You could easily have a buckler that adds +1 to AC instead, though you'd have to be careful with that because then there's no tradeoff, literally everyone should have one. You'd have to disadvantage it in some other way.

Just make whatever works for your group. Spiked shield that is +1AC and lets you make an OH weapon attack once per round after an enemy fails to hit for whatever damage you think is fair. Tower shield, +3 AC but once per round when you block you have to pass a DC10 CON check or take a level of exhaustion. Not hard to make things more interesting.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Mendrian posted:

How does a buckler leave your shield hand meaningfully free? It's the same center grip arrangement as a viking shield.

Or are you saying it could bypass the don/doff rules because you just grab it and it's "on"? Because a -1 AC seems like a poor trade for that.

e: Lantern shields would probably be the answer. It's a small (+1 AC) shield, and a lantern, and a gauntlet, and a shortsword or dagger.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 10, 2018

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
On the topic of shields. In my Strahd game I am adding little personal stories for each PC. One of my players is a Tortle Battlemaster who seems to have an obsession with shields. His story involves hunting down the man who killed his father. The reward for this should be kind of hosed up due to the setting, and be retrieving his Fathers Shell the villain was using as a shield. I fully expect him to want to use his fathers shell as his own shield, but what cool bonus can I give it? Giving it the Parry reaction is my first thought, with maybe a +1. Or go more complex and give it charges and uses of certain spells? I expect he may take the Shield Master feat before acquiring it so I could lean into that.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

AlphaDog posted:

e: Lantern shields would probably be the answer. It's a small (+1 AC) shield, and a lantern, and a gauntlet, and a shortsword or dagger.

This is a great idea and I'm stealing it. 1ac small shield, give light as a lantern powered by an orb of energy, once per short rest, can use shield bash to burn out the light orb and attempt to blind opponent. DC 11 con save or target is blinded for 3 rounds. You can then further modify it to grow along with you through increasingly difficult tinkering checks to add an off hand weapon attack, higher DC, and enchant to make +1

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 10, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I like the word "doff". I'm gonna go doff my pants.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Neon Knight posted:

On the topic of shields. In my Strahd game I am adding little personal stories for each PC. One of my players is a Tortle Battlemaster who seems to have an obsession with shields. His story involves hunting down the man who killed his father. The reward for this should be kind of hosed up due to the setting, and be retrieving his Fathers Shell the villain was using as a shield. I fully expect him to want to use his fathers shell as his own shield, but what cool bonus can I give it? Giving it the Parry reaction is my first thought, with maybe a +1. Or go more complex and give it charges and uses of certain spells? I expect he may take the Shield Master feat before acquiring it so I could lean into that.

Enhance his existing abilities? Here's some ideas:

An extra reaction/round which can only be used for the Protection fighting style feature. Doesn't use up any of the action economy stuff, it's on top of that (ie, is a free action 1/round).

Is he already a shield master? If not, give him that feat for free as long as he's wielding that shield. If so, turn that stuff up. Feature 1: shove becomes 15'. Feature 2: Advantage on the save. Feature 3: doesn't use your reaction (ie, is a free action 1/round).

Like you said, give the shield the parry reaction (probably as a free action 1/round).

That stuff's all situational enough that you could probably give it all to him, with "you can use one of the shield's features once per round" and it won't break anything. If it's supposed to be a really super cool item, you'd probably want to whack a +1 or even +2 AC on there too.

I mean, there's really no problem with Shield Guy being Unusually Good At Shields. It'll make him a little bit better at not dying and helping others not to die, but it's not gonna instagib monsters or end encounters, so...

e: It'd be hilarious if the shield could cast Shield though. 1 / short rest would probably be good. If he's playing tanky (which I assume he is, given an obsession with shields), he'd probably love a panic button like that, especially if it amounted to MORE SHIELDS.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 10, 2018

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Nash posted:

Will post a trip report on possible torture and taming wolves.

Have I started a thing here?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If you were gonna make a Divine Soul sorcerer and wanted to give them an interesting god instead of these boring fuckass generic good gods but also wanted that god to be represented in how you build/play the character, what would you pick

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If you were gonna make a Divine Soul sorcerer and wanted to give them an interesting god instead of these boring fuckass generic good gods but also wanted that god to be represented in how you build/play the character, what would you pick

What setting?

For TFR maybe Tymora? Being lucky is great and also 4th wall pushing. Nobanion is also a neat Exarch, the lion king.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 11, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Any. I'm just making conversation, not looking for character help.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Neon Knight posted:

You know what you have to do: make it a shield of returning that hits two or more monsters on a throw, Mario style.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Boots of Plumber Stomping

Permanently enchanted with Jump

Allows the wearer to make an acrobatics check to jump into the air and land on an enemy of smaller size. Deals 2d8 to 5d8 based on size + damage based on your weight.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Shellshock Shield:

When you successfully save against a Evocation spell or similar effect(dragon breath, beholder ray) you may expend a Hit Die to store the energy. Each effect stored this way adds 1 Charge. When an enemy targets an ally and not You with an attack you may expend X Charges to attack them as a reaction for Xd10 damage. Max 5 charges.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Boil whatever good god concept down to a simplified yet powerful force.

So instead of my character drawing upon a bloodline from say, a deity of light, my character inherited their power from THE LIGHT. Kinda that all consuming/cleansing force idea, like THE SUN/CELESTIAL BODY instead of a sun deity.

That'd probably fit a Celestial Warlock better though.

Unrelated I guess, but I was reading up on Forgotten Realms lore, and people in Chessenta worship an entity of Entropy :v:

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 11, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I know you can in D&D worship a concept rather then a god and gain power from it.

I remember the 3e Elder Evils book that brought up how that concept was spread around. Namely a Demon Lord named Sertrous Prince of Heretics a Demon unquiely bound to the material plane, due to the actions of others. Because of his Jelousy of the gods reviving devotion he targeted their subjects The leading Priests summoned a Solar to combat him. The Solar gathered an army and combated Sertrous and eventually defeated him. Sertrous as his final action before the Solar slew him told him “Why serve your lord when his playthings can gain the same strength of power through their own will?” The Solar took the Demon Lords head and reported back to the Priests and ended up repeating his final words.

As a result of hearing this the Priests and other Scholars ended up studying those words and discovered you did not need to worship a god to gain the power of Divine magic you could worship an ideal instead, anything so long as you truly believed in it. As a reuslt the Solar was demoted to Planetar status as punishment for causing the gods to lose lots of worship. Which led to the Planetar rejecting his gods stealing the Demon Lords head and creating a cult around it and mutating into a snake Demon Angel.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yo.

I mean this as nice as I can but you just capitalized that post like a schizophrenic talking about The Reptoids.

Like, whoah.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Trip report.

As soon as the druid saw the wolves he immediately tried to call them. He didn’t want them as pets, he just wanted to let them go free. He rolled amazing well so after he tossed them some food I let him undo the chains and set the wolves free into the wilderness.

No torture to speak of, although the group almost got into a fight with Sildar immediately after freeing him. Also the group’s warlock almost started a bar fight in town. He is role playing Donald Trump who got his powers from his great old one patron known as Pu-Tin

Was my first time dming and it went really well.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

User0015 posted:

Please let us know if:

A) They attempt to befriend/tame the wolves and
B) Torture

They befriended the wolves and are trying to find a place to house them in Phandalin.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to do A Thing:

quote:

Cleave: Make a melee attack. If it hits, an enemy adjacent to you besides the target that you attacked also takes damage equal to your Strength modifier.

Reaping Strike: Make a melee attack. If it misses, you deal damage equal to half your Strength modifier. If you're using a two-handed weapon, you instead deal damage equal to your Strength modifier.

Sure Strike: Make a melee attack with Advantage. Do not add your Strength modifier to the damage of this attack.

Tide of Iron: Make a melee attack. If it hits, your target is pushed back 5 feet. You can move into the space that the target was pushed out of, if you like.

Covering Attack: Make a melee attack. If it hits, roll your weapon damage twice and take the total, and any ally of yours that is adjacent to the target can then move 10 feet.

Passing Attack: Make a melee attack. If it hits, you can move 5 feet. Whether or not you move, you can also make a second melee attack. This second attack has Advantage, but you must attack a different target than the one you just hit.

Spinning Sweep: Make a melee attack. If it hits, the target is also knocked prone.

Steel Serpent Strike: Make a melee attack. If it hits, roll your weapon damage twice and take the total. Also, the target's speed is reduced by half and it cannot use the Disengage action, until the end of your next turn.

Brute Strike: Make a melee attack. If it hits, roll your weapon damage three times and take the total. If it misses, you can still use this attack again.

It should be fairly obvious what it is, but before I get too deep into it, I'd like a check on my natural language:

* Is "make a melee attack" even the correct way to phrase it?

* Is "roll your weapon damage twice and take the total" clear enough, or should I make it even longer by clarifying that the Strength modifier is still only used once?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Should Cleave require that the attack roll would also hit the new target?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

Should Cleave require that the attack roll would also hit the new target?

I'm just doing a straight conversion of the 4e power, and that one does not require that the attack roll be high enough to hit both targets. It's my suspicion that this is intended, since you're only doing Strength modifier damage to the cleave recipient, even if you're cheesing it by targeting a clothie and cleaving-over to the plate-wearer.

I'd be more inclined to do an "attack roll must hit both" if it were more damaging.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Are you considering Finesse weapons in this? I suppose the 4E powers didn't use DEX for the most part, but, you know.

gradenko_2000 posted:

* Is "make a melee attack" even the correct way to phrase it?
I'm pretty sure that phrasing would also include melee spell attacks – not sure if that's what you want. "If you make a melee attack with a weapon" is how I'd put it, assuming you want ranged attacks made with thrown weapons not to be eligible either.

gradenko_2000 posted:

* Is "roll your weapon damage twice and take the total" clear enough, or should I make it even longer by clarifying that the Strength modifier is still only used once?
I'd say you're probably good to go. "Roll your weapon damage dice twice" would arguably be clearer without being that much longer.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

How does a buckler leave your shield hand meaningfully free? It's the same center grip arrangement as a viking shield.

Back in 3e the buckler was by default strapped to your forearm and allowed you to use bows and off-hand weapons while wearing it, with a penalty. That's probably what Athril was referencing when he was talking about lack of differing shield options.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
For any weapons nerds that have been mislead about bucklers being giant bracers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPD1PtcOZ2c

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 11, 2018

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The answer is that D&D has been self-replicating itself for so long that incorrect historical details thrive. Bucklers become big shields strapped to your arm, swords weigh a billion pounds, plate armor heavily encumbered you to the point of near immobility, longbows are so easy to use that anyone can just pick it up and go, etc, etc, etc.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

FRINGE posted:

For any weapons nerds that have been mislead about bucklers being giant bracers:

I think people just confuse bucklers for one of the types of viking shield.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

FRINGE posted:

I love how silly real combat gets when it's purely about being practical and self-protection instead of looking good

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
"Ok Throg what are you going to do on your turn?"

"Ahhh I'm engaged with this Orc Soldier right?"

"Yes"

"And he's got a long sword and buckler?"

"Yeah."

"Ok I very carefully parry his blows.. VEEERY carefully."

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Darwinism posted:

I love how silly real combat gets when it's purely about being practical and self-protection instead of looking good

Yeah, silly and goofy looking, and then, if it were for real and not a fun sport, suddenly terrifyingly brutal.

When they're at max range flicking at each other's blades like that, sure. When they close and start bashing at each others' faces with the edges of those shields, uh... "We don't train that part".

e: Duelling's way different from fighting in a melee though.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 11, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

In like a day Matt Colville's kickstarter for stronghold rules has raised almost $800,000. I feel like this could be a sea change moment in the amount of independent third party poo poo and the amount of people who try to become "personalities" within the hobby. I mean obviously "Steve's GM Tips" or something isn't going to recreate this kind of success but I'm sure tons of people are going to try.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

In like a day Matt Colville's kickstarter for stronghold rules has raised almost $800,000. I feel like this could be a sea change moment in the amount of independent third party poo poo and the amount of people who try to become "personalities" within the hobby. I mean obviously "Steve's GM Tips" or something isn't going to recreate this kind of success but I'm sure tons of people are going to try.

Cool now can he kickstart himself a new personality?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

What's wrong with him? I've watched a few of his vids and despite being primarily 5e focused nowadays, his videos are pretty good with some good advice which can be applied to almost any system.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Spiteski posted:

What's wrong with him? I've watched a few of his vids and despite being primarily 5e focused nowadays, his videos are pretty good with some good advice which can be applied to almost any system.

I think he's incredibly pompous and dismissive of other people's play/DM styles and is very one true way. I used to watch his videos a lot too, but kinda OD'd on the smugness. Also seems like a bit of a starfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I think he's incredibly pompous and dismissive of other people's play/DM styles and is very one true way. I used to watch his videos a lot too, but kinda OD'd on the smugness. Also seems like a bit of a starfucker.

I don't want to become the Matt Colville apologist in this thread but literally in multiple videos, including a stream he ran tonight, he talks about how there is no wrong way to DM if everyone who played has fun. In that same stream people tried to tell him he was the best DM and he shot them down. I don't want to argue against how you feel, your feelings are your own, but I also don't want people to be scared off when the principles of his advice are "Do what's fun" and "If it works, it's right"