Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Don't most cards nowadays not count gift cards towards minimum spend requirements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Does anyone know where I can use ApplePay and buy $500 Visa GC's?

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Don't most cards nowadays not count gift cards towards minimum spend requirements?
Depends on where its from.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Go to Staples or Office Depot, buy a stapler or something and Amazon gift cards, just so the total dollar amount isn't a perfectly round number and there's no reason for the cashier to question it. Works like a charm.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You could always spend $1k on Amazon GC, or a gas station or grocery store you frequent. Use them up over the next few months.

That's what I'm doing with my Discover 1q category bonus, discounted gift cards from BJs. I almost pulled the trigger tonight on Disneyland tickets, as they increased the prices at midnight, but the cheapskate in me couldn't do it. My friend suggested a Kiva loan, which is interesting but I guess borders on fraud? I'll figure something out, I just can't believe I almost let it slip through the cracks.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SiGmA_X posted:

Probably a grocery store. Trying to max out Chase Freedom Apple pay? We did all our grocery and wine purchases last month with Apple pay since our main store took it.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Probably a grocery store. Trying to max out Chase Freedom Apple pay? We did all our grocery and wine purchases last month with Apple pay since our main store took it.
Yep, exactly.

The stores I usually frequent either have the $100 prepaids or don't take ApplePay. I should branch out, I have 6wks left.

E: Walgreens carries Visa prepaids and takes ApplePay! That'll do.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 11, 2018

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

SiGmA_X posted:

Amex specifically is cracking down and not counting visa/MC gift card purchases towards minimum spend requirements

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

DeceasedHorse posted:

Amex specifically is cracking down and not counting visa/MC gift card purchases towards minimum spend requirements
Humm, well, I'll let you know how it goes with Chase Freedom + Walgreens + Visa GC. It worked fine last summer with Chase Freedom + Kroger when the category was grocery stores (I spend ~1-150mo in "grocery store" coded expenses normally, filled in with 2x$500 GC's) but you never know.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

State Farm takes Apple Pay through their app if you are looking for some spending and happen to have them as your insurer.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

smackfu posted:

State Farm takes Apple Pay through their app if you are looking for some spending and happen to have them as your insurer.

I have State Farm for Auto and they charge a fee if you use a credit card. It ends up being much cheaper to pay it all at once from checking once a year.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I changed my State Farm from checking withdrawal to a rewards credit card for payment 2 months ago, and haven't been charged a fee for using a card. I've got auto and home policies with them, but my home is paid through escrow. I'm on autopay, so I'm not sure if they charge a fee for a one time payment on a card.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I've been paying my state farm bill for years with a credit card and never got charged a fee.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I've been paying my state farm bill for years with a credit card and never got charged a fee.

My mistake, it's travelers. And they change a "payment fee" per month if break it up into payments (~$5 a payment) and then they give you a discount if you pay it all in full from a checking account in one payment. The different between paying all at once vs once a month via CC is something like $50 total, so it's worth it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I've been using a USBank Cash+ card on Amazon for 5% cash back for a few years but they are finally killing the "bookstores" category so that won't be an option anymore. What cards should I look into for big cash back on Amazon purchases? I've already got a Chase Freedom, the Uber Visa, a Fidelity Visa, Amex Blue Cash Everyday, the aforementioned USBank Cash+, and some crappy Citi card they converted my Citi Forward (rip) into.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

I've been using a USBank Cash+ card on Amazon for 5% cash back for a few years but they are finally killing the "bookstores" category so that won't be an option anymore. What cards should I look into for big cash back on Amazon purchases? I've already got a Chase Freedom, the Uber Visa, a Fidelity Visa, Amex Blue Cash Everyday, the aforementioned USBank Cash+, and some crappy Citi card they converted my Citi Forward (rip) into.

Prime gets you 5% on the Chase Amazon Visa or store credit card.

Other than that, the Discover It sometimes has Amazon for a 5% category (use a referral for a $50 signup bonus, or sometimes Amazon has an amazon-specific signup bonus).

e: Another great option would be to see if they'll let you change that Citi card into a Double Cash, which gives 2% back everywhere, an excellent price protection benefit, and a 24-month extended warranty.

astral fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 26, 2018

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

astral posted:

Prime gets you 5% on the Chase Amazon Visa or store credit card.

Other than that, the Discover It sometimes has Amazon for a 5% category (use a referral for a $50 signup bonus, or sometimes Amazon has an amazon-specific signup bonus).

e: Another great option would be to see if they'll let you change that Citi card into a Double Cash, which gives 2% back everywhere, an excellent price protection benefit, and a 24-month extended warranty.

Thanks. I see in the OP and from skimming the site though that the Amazon branded cards don't give the 5% cash back if you're piggybacking off someone else's prime subscription, which is what I'm doing. Without paying for the subscription it looks like it gives 3% cash back. Is there a better rate on another card? Maybe I've been spoiled since a ton of cards used to give 5% on "bookstores."

I am probably going to apply for the Discover It though because I looked at the 5% quarterly categories for the rest of the year and grocery stores, restaurants, and Amazon are all pretty good.

re your edit I might do that because the 2% Fidelity Visa's extended warranty and price drop protection aren't too remarkable.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Supposedly if you add the Amazon card as a payment option to a paying-for-prime account you'll earn the full 5% on Amazon purchases regardless of what Amazon account it's being used on. I remember reading this from a random redditor though so may not be accurate. Also requires you to have someone you trust not to ring up a bunch of charges with your card who pays for Prime.

THF13 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 26, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My wife and I share a prime account, but only get 5% cash back on purchases made with the Chase Amazon card. Chase tracks that on their own, the 5% is accumulated when you pay it off.

All other Prime benefits are shared though.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

angryrobots posted:

My wife and I share a prime account, but only get 5% cash back on purchases made with the Chase Amazon card. Chase tracks that on their own, the 5% is accumulated when you pay it off.

All other Prime benefits are shared though.

Edited my post to try to make it clearer.
What I was suggesting was adding the Chase Amazon card to a full Prime account which should make the card earn the full 5% on Amazon, including purchases made from non-Prime Amazon accounts. You still need to use the Amazon card for the purchase to earn cash back.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yes that is true. My wife can use the Chase Amazon card on her account, and it would earn 5%. To share a Prime account, both users must also share access to all payment methods.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Am I dumb NOT getting an amazon prime card?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Residency Evil posted:

Am I dumb NOT getting an amazon prime card?

It's literally 5% on everything you ever buy from Amazon. You do the math.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
If you already have AMEX BCP, you could just buy Amazon gift cards and get 6% cash back. Of course, you don’t want to buy so much that you go over the 6k annual grocery limit.

h0llyw00d
Feb 18, 2015
Anyone else have trouble getting approved for the Citi Double Cash? Guess I'll just have to convert my lovely current card over time. No problems with financials.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

seeDawg posted:

Anyone else have trouble getting approved for the Citi Double Cash? Guess I'll just have to convert my lovely current card over time. No problems with financials.

If they're taking a while to approve you, call in and talk to someone to get your approval process expedited. I did this and was immediately approved.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
How frequent can you receive sign up bonuses from Chase? I know AMEX is one/lifetime per card. I signed up for the CSR at launch (and my wife a few months following) and cancelled them last year. I'm interested in getting the CSR back again for my primary spending card but would love to take advantage of a bonus if possible.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TraderStav posted:

How frequent can you receive sign up bonuses from Chase? I know AMEX is one/lifetime per card. I signed up for the CSR at launch (and my wife a few months following) and cancelled them last year. I'm interested in getting the CSR back again for my primary spending card but would love to take advantage of a bonus if possible.

24 months since the signup bonus last posted.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

svenkatesh posted:

Thanks! May just grind out the freedom unlimited until then. Can always transfer the URs to the CSR at that point for the 1.5x redemption.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

drainpipe posted:

If you already have AMEX BCP, you could just buy Amazon gift cards and get 6% cash back. Of course, you don’t want to buy so much that you go over the 6k annual grocery limit.

Wait what, Amazon gift cards count as groceries?

Also, I'm disappointed. I was looking for chip + PIN cards for traveling and found you could get one from the UN credit union, which seems like it would be a neat card to have. It also has priority pass select (meh) and no foreign transaction fees for $50/year. Apparently it's a really lovely credit union though. Oh well.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ohgodwhat posted:

Wait what, Amazon gift cards count as groceries?

If you buy them from a grocery store.

quote:

Also, I'm disappointed. I was looking for chip + PIN cards for traveling and found you could get one from the UN credit union, which seems like it would be a neat card to have. It also has priority pass select (meh) and no foreign transaction fees for $50/year. Apparently it's a really lovely credit union though. Oh well.

What's wrong with something like a Barclaycard? Supports chip+PIN last I knew. Arrival+ has a nice bonus if you've not opened more than 6 new cards in the last 2 years.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
So I need to spend $4k on the CSR in three months? I could do tha-

*Federal Income Tax due*
*Pupper breaks his leg*

Done! :smithicide:

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Fhqwhgads posted:

*Federal Income Tax due*
*Pupper breaks his leg*

TAX LADY: Ok, that's $500
ME: Awesome!
TAX LADY: Oh, do you have a Mastercard or Visa?
ME: I need to make my minimum spend. Take my Amex, please!

WOO! Just $500 more and I get another 25k Delta miles!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

*Federal Income Tax due*
*Pupper breaks his leg*

Get better soon pupper!

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

svenkatesh posted:

So if you hold the card for two years, then cancel (or downgrade), you can basically reapply immediately and pick up another bonus?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Cacafuego posted:

Get better soon pupper!

He will make a full recovery and go back to being a terror in a few weeks. Pet insurance: GWM. I might have had to lay out $2k for all the medical on the CC, but thanks to my insurance I'll eventually get 90% back (to my checking, not my CC) so it still counts!

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Popero posted:

So if you hold the card for two years, then cancel (or downgrade), you can basically reapply immediately and pick up another bonus?

Yup. You can do it as long as you're below 5/24 (if your card falls under that policy) and you don't have another card within the same family (e.g. can't do it if you hold a CSR and want to apply for a CSP to get the bonus again)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I downgraded my CSR to Chase Freedom Unlimited. Would I need to cancel my CFU to reapply for CSR and get bonus or in the clear?

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TraderStav posted:

I downgraded my CSR to Chase Freedom Unlimited. Would I need to cancel my CFU to reapply for CSR and get bonus or in the clear?

Nope!

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/official-chase-updates-terms-indicate-sapphire-family-limitation/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do not understand Chase. They wouldn’t issue me a card until after they sent me a letter and I called them on the phone, at which point they verified my cell number by texting me. That’s it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have an Amazon Rewards Visa Signature card, and Amazon just sent me an email saying in addition to 3% back at Amazon and Whole Foods (or 5% with Prime), they're adding quarterly bonus categories

The first one is 5% back at Restaurants from March 1st-May 31st

That's pretty awesome