Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

To follow up on what Fister Roboto is saying...
Commonwealth is at war with Russia and Sweden; they are on the offensive in Russia and have a good two dozen provinces occupied in Russia.
I declare war on Commonwealth to take advantage of the distraction. Then this happens:

You have got to be kidding me. They just walk through the whole country because the AI is bad at forts. If I want to conquer those provinces now I have to go to war with Russia+Sweden OR wait for their war to end. Its horseshit AI dickmoves. Its also hilarious, but.... gently caress, man, thats shits annoying!

edit: and just to be clear, my mission and wargoal is to conquer Halicz!

Relax, it's just ~*realpolitik*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
having to be aware of what other nations are doing in wars is good & the game would be poorer for its absence

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i wish you could just force rebels to pop. i got stuff to do you dogs get mad or go home

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Not the Messiah posted:

What the gently caress I've played this dumb game for like 500 hour why am I only just hearing about his

did you know you can assign your armies to control groups like in an rts?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Koramei posted:

having to be aware of what other nations are doing in wars is good & the game would be poorer for its absence

Getting hosed over because you can't watch every square inch of the planet constantly and you have to control every single action of your armies manually is not fun.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
When you're at the point where you have to do that you can just murder everyone that would be seizing the land from you anyway.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
For real though, having to weigh up whether you want to rush into declaring a war because someone else might get that land first otherwise, or whether to wait to declare on someone strong until someone else declares too so you can gank them but at the cost of having to be proactive about seizing territory you want; this stuff is a huge part of the depth to wars. That screenshot is bad because what Sweden's doing doesn't even contribute to its war, but having to actually look at your loving armies is not something that should change.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Koramei posted:

but having to actually look at your loving armies is not something that should change.

strongly disagree

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
fair enough

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Like I get where you're coming from, but the amount of bad poo poo that can happen if you're not watching your everything like a hawk is enormous. Sure it's pretty easy to out-think the AI within a limited scope, but on a global level the AI is effectively omniscient and omnipresent. It's more than a little frustrating.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

Like I get where you're coming from, but the amount of bad poo poo that can happen if you're not watching your everything like a hawk is enormous. Sure it's pretty easy to out-think the AI within a limited scope, but on a global level the AI is effectively omniscient and omnipresent. It's more than a little frustrating.
This is my problem with it. I want to play against an AI that can think to do that, but I need tools to help me. Being able to assign an army to occupy territory while I am focusing on maneuvers on the other side of the Urals would be really handy. Instead, because I looked away for maybe a month, AI Sweden has strolled in from the Fog Of War, navigated past four or five armies and three or four forts, and sat on my wargoal before I even noticed. My issue with it is that if the AI saw me doing it, it could react immediately, because

Fister Roboto posted:

the AI is effectively omniscient and omnipresent.

I go for Forts first when fighting the AI because wars are a total pain in the rear end once you get these mega-states that have AI that micro the gently caress out of their armies and their military access to march through the HRE, France, and Spain to cross the straights of Gibraltar and siege my forts in Algeria. Its loving obnoxious. Taking forts gets you warscore. I should not be punished this badly for not being some crazy starcraft level of player when it comes to micro-ing my armies.

Also, in this example, yes, I can smash both parties at once, I know, but what about those times when the player is not the #1 power in the world?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 10, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Keeping your war goals list regularly updated seems to help a bit at least. Especially if you make sure to do it before every war. In my Holland -> Netherlands game France and the other allies were willing to honour nearly everything on the list besides a few provinces in Picardy which made it easy to gobble up the majority of Burgundy and its other crown territories over time.

AI still being able to ignore forts is dumb as gently caress though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You almost need two armies for every one the AI has. One army to siege them down and one army to run back and forth swatting at their constant invasions in whatever far end of your country you don't have any soldiers at. Oh and you can't catch them because they run away before you even come close, often through territory YOU don't have access through. :shepface:

Forts work fine, as far as I can tell, as long as you don't place them on the coast or right next to a border. Oh and spread them out so no province borders more than one. And don't enter a war with any mothballed!

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 11, 2018

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I get why having provinces sniped is so frustrating, but allowing the war leader to decide occupations for all war participants would be giving way too much power to the war leader. That would not be a good change.

edit: In SP, I feel like the player shouldn't be able to just let the AI siege down an entire country, flip all the occupations to them, then take all the territory for themselves. You can still do this when the AI doesn't want those provinces, but this would be much more exploitable if you could flip occupations at will. It would also be frustrating if, say, you join in on a war with an AI ally and they decide that all the provinces you fought for and sieged down were to be theirs, actually.

In MP, this would be an outright disaster. I don't think any explanation is needed to describe why.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 11, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, l just having to wait for the AI to end their war may not always be fun but it seems to be the best solution. If they do take the provinces, it means it's time for another. :black101:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Poil posted:

You almost need two armies for every one the AI has. One army to siege them down and one army to run back and forth swatting at their constant invasions in whatever far end of your country you don't have any soldiers at. Oh and you can't catch them because they run away before you even come close, often through territory YOU don't have access through. :shepface:

Forts work fine, as far as I can tell, as long as you don't place them on the coast or right next to a border. Oh and spread them out so no province borders more than one. And don't enter a war with any mothballed!

:yeah:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Poil posted:

And don't enter a war with any mothballed!

This is the really really really REALLY big one.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Having mothballed forts while at war is fine and can actually be a pretty sneaky tactic since the AI uses its magical totally not cheating guys power to home in on them from 100s of miles away so it can make the AI more predictable

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Having mothballed forts while at war is fine and can actually be a pretty sneaky tactic since the AI uses its magical totally not cheating guys power to home in on them from 100s of miles away so it can make the AI more predictable

I can't tell you how many times I've seen the AI sail all the way around Africa to take a single mothballed fort in Basra.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

oddium posted:

i wish you could just force rebels to pop. i got stuff to do you dogs get mad or go home

I've been silently wishing for this for years, but I have a feeling that it'd be overpowered.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Edit: never mind, didn't think that question through

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

oddium posted:

yeah the amount of times i've told my monitor to poo poo or get off the pot is ridiculous. there are some tricks you can use to make them pop faster though, like sticking a missionary in the province or lowering autonomy, although the latter will usually mean you'll have to deal with another rebellion a few years down the line

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Do rebels get another tick of progress when you declare war? Odd.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Wafflecopper posted:

yeah the amount of times i've told my monitor to poo poo or get off the pot is ridiculous. there are some tricks you can use to make them pop faster though, like sticking a missionary in the province or lowering autonomy, although the latter will usually mean you'll have to deal with another rebellion a few years down the line

I'd loving love an "Aggravate Rebels" option that costs just as much military points as repressing them does. I hate waiting around for rebels to spawn.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

re: managing large wars. The otherwise useless minimap will show enemy armies as red dots, which can help a bit, if you're already bigger than a subcontinent.

re: rebels, I *hate* the estimated time to revolt timer. these rebels will pop in .5 years probably. Four years later they still haven't popped. fraargh

double nine fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 11, 2018

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How does one go around starting a Byz game? I start the game, see the Ottomans looming over me and go ‘nope’.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

How does one go around starting a Byz game?
Many times, over and over, until the stars align on that perfect combination of alliances and rivalries

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
"Reduce Autonomy" is the button you are looking for to make rebels pop.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
They should just invert what harsh treatment does. Number of times I have wanted to set back rebel progress by 30% and not just farm a bit of extra absolutism is vanishingly small. If it instead increased rebel progress by 30% I would use it probably in every game.

Fat Samurai posted:

How does one go around starting a Byz game? I start the game, see the Ottomans looming over me and go ‘nope’.

Get a diplo rep advisor, build up your military as hard as you can without going bankrupt, and try and get alliances with Hungary, Wallachia, and Albania. Then move all your troops further up into the Balkans (most likely Albania itself) so they don’t get immediately isolated and ruined when the war starts. Declare when you have enough favors with everyone or can promise land (this might take a little while) and rely on your allies’ numbers and Albania’s god general to win the war for you. If you’re lucky enough to get it to happen, Hungary and Poland-Lithuania is an even easier set of allies to win with, but they often rival each other and even if they don’t P-L often runs out of diplo slots or gets embroiled in a big war with the Teutons or something just when you need them.

skasion fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 11, 2018

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Fat Samurai posted:

BabyFur Denny posted:

Many times, over and over, until the stars align on that perfect combination of alliances and rivalries

The stars you want to align the most are as many possible people rival the Ottomans, from most to least important

Poland+Lithuania, Austria, Hungary, Bohemia, Venice, Aragon, Castile, Tunis, and eventually Muscovy

Ally as many of those nations as you can prioritizing the ones that have rivaled the Ottomans (much more likely to join offensive as well as defensive wars).

Either the Ottomans will attack you and most of the time their allies wont join them and yours will and you just have to try and herd your AI allies with siege objectives and trying to get them to join with your puny army.
OR
You wait for them to be at war with the mamluks and as many others as possible (Mamluks will sometimes ally Karaman or Aq Qyunlu) and hit them as hard as you possibly can. It helps to have Venice in your alliance if you choose this option because Mamluks + Venetian fleet will usually be able to sink the Ottomans and if your alliance has naval dominance the war should be a cake walk.

e: If you're having trouble securing an Alliance in the first place with someone there are some tricks you can use to smooth things over

Positive Opinion: If you can get +100/+200 relations the AI has a high chance of switching to friendly and being much more open to deals

Diplomatic Reputation: From advisors, events, missions, ideas, whatever, its good and gives you a strong bonus to "yes" on most diplomatic interactions

Army/Navy over Force Limits: "Byzantine Army Strength" can be pretty prohibitive if you're trying to get an alliance with a much stronger country, going over your force limits with galleys and infantry while lowering your army maintenance is a great way to get around the penalty and you will be needing those troops relatively soon anyways

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 11, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

skasion posted:

They should just invert what harsh treatment does. Number of times I have wanted to set back rebel progress by 30% and not just farm a bit of extra absolutism is vanishingly small. If it instead increased rebel progress by 30% I would use it probably in every game.

Reducing progress should be "coerce instigators" and cost you dip.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

There's at least one remaining exploitative as gently caress method but if you want to be 'legit' you can probably just ally Albania and hope for the best, OE seems to declare on them very reliably in the early game and if Albania wins they almost always give a bunch of provinces back to Byz.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Arumba just started a Byz run on YouTube.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Dip rep advisor, go well over your relations limit to ally every moderate-sized nation around while you butter up Austria / Poland / Hungary / whoever else is big and you can get to ally you, and galleys well over the force limit to try and control the straits (though that only gets you a serious benefit once you can siege down either side of the second strait). Expect to keep restarting until you get lucky even with all that.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

doingitwrong posted:

"Reduce Autonomy" is the button you are looking for to make rebels pop.

Make sure to have your armies close to the provinces where they will spawn, once the rebels reach 90% progress move your armies into the provinces so they are the defenders in the battle.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Byzantium used to be a lot easier when boats could block straits, even if the enemy controlled both sides. The strategy was to take a bunch of loans and build lots of galleys, way more than the Ottomans. Then when they took their armies over to one of the minor Anatolian powers and declared war on them (for their cores, which they mostly don't have anymore) you'd declare war, block the strait, and reconquest uncontested.

That doesn't work anymore and I have no idea how the gently caress you are supposed to survive unless its a 1 in a 100 chance the Ottomans declare war on someone west of you and lose to Albania/Venice/Serbia/Bosnia. Which I've personally never seen happen ever.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I've seen quite a few Ottoman-Albania alliance hellwars where the OE got all of Europe occupied but I've never seen the AI convert this into a convincing victory.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Node posted:

Byzantium used to be a lot easier when boats could block straits, even if the enemy controlled both sides. The strategy was to take a bunch of loans and build lots of galleys, way more than the Ottomans. Then when they took their armies over to one of the minor Anatolian powers and declared war on them (for their cores, which they mostly don't have anymore) you'd declare war, block the strait, and reconquest uncontested.

That doesn't work anymore and I have no idea how the gently caress you are supposed to survive unless its a 1 in a 100 chance the Ottomans declare war on someone west of you and lose to Albania/Venice/Serbia/Bosnia. Which I've personally never seen happen ever.

The Negroponte/Corfu island trap exploit might still be viable, though? I used that to good effect a couple of patches ago, that was after they changed how blocking straits worked. Managed to lure the entire Ottoman army onto Corfu, only had to sacrifice half my own pathetic army, sent one guy in to piss on the territory across from Corfu and then parked a few boats in the way... Ottos ended up with zero manpower from all the attrition, and after I grabbed my own cores in the peace deal they were stomped by a succession of opportunistic vultures so that by the time I was ready for round 2 they were a weak tattered remnant.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/DDRJake/status/963020856812335104

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Required provinces highlighting! That's wonderful. :neckbeard: