Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer
As part of the shadowy cabal dedicated to ensuring Star Citizen never sees the light of day, I can assure you all that the judge has been contacted and is sympathetic to our cause.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfU69_up02Y

Edit: Goddamnit I don't have any pets. Have a doge owned by a relative...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Frankfurt Physics Programmer vacancy posted Jan 16 2018
https://www.glassdoor.ca/job-listing/-physics-programmer-cloud-imperium-games-JV_IC2632180_KO0,19_KE20,40.htm?jl=2311510047

50 odd vacancies now posted on CreativeHeads over the last two weeks, with 18 of them posted yesterday (Feb 10th). The vast majority of these have been on the main CIG website since early 2017.

Also lol at the junior audio designer job up again, nobody has stayed in that role longer than 3 months. Tools programmer is the latest WIlmslow vacancy.

This is all pretty much confirming stuff flying about on the grapevine (which is 70% accurate) since last year, which is why I'm continuing to post it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SomethingJones posted:

Frankfurt Physics Programmer vacancy posted Jan 16 2018
https://www.glassdoor.ca/job-listing/-physics-programmer-cloud-imperium-games-JV_IC2632180_KO0,19_KE20,40.htm?jl=2311510047

50 odd vacancies now posted on CreativeHeads over the last two weeks, with 18 of them posted yesterday (Feb 10th). The vast majority of these have been on the main CIG website since early 2017.

Also lol at the junior audio designer job up again, nobody has stayed in that role longer than 3 months. Tools programmer is the latest WIlmslow vacancy.

This is all pretty much confirming stuff flying about on the grapevine (which is 70% accurate) since last year, which is why I'm continuing to post it.

Confirming what stuff exactly?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Pilz posted:

Edit: Goddamnit I don't have any pets. Have a doge owned by a relative...

It was extraordinarily polite of that dogge to remove his spectacles to have his photo taken.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

iospace posted:

Confirming what stuff exactly?

CIG are bleeding to death and the spaceships lie broken at the bottom of their hangars.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
- Maintain, support and optimize the existing physics code (including collision detection and spatial queries) and assist in its practical applications within the game projects

- Work closely with the game project teams to assist in integrating and extending the physics engine

- Experience creating and/or extending physics and collision in a shipped game

- CryEngine/Lumberyard development experience

- Havok, APEX/PhysX, Bullet, or other physics package experience

I hope they bought a licence for Havok...

source -https://www.glassdoor.de/Job/physics-jobs-SRCH_KO0,7.htm

e: Nice to see they're finally thinking about putting a physics engine in there, 6 years into development. I'm sure it'll go just about as well as putting MMO networking in, VR and pole vaulting.

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 11, 2018

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

- Maintain, support and optimize the existing physics code (including collision detection and spatial queries) and assist in its practical applications within the game projects

- Work closely with the game project teams to assist in integrating and extending the physics engine

- CryEngine/Lumberyard development experience

- Havok, APEX/PhysX, Bullet, or other physics package experience

I hope they bought a licence for Havok...

source -https://www.glassdoor.de/Job/physics-jobs-SRCH_KO0,7.htm

e: Nice to see they're finally thinking about putting a physics engine in there, 6 years into development. I'm sure it'll go just about as well as putting MMO networking in, VR and pole vaulting.
bullet is the more likely option here, because its open source.
Or maybe they actually coded their own star-physics :allears:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

SomethingJones posted:

Come on goonie, everyone knows that just thinking about something means it's practically done. They already have the base game built, layering the physics onto your code takes practically no time at all. They just need to insert
code:
#include physics.io
Into the meshes and they're finished. See how easy that was? Now you understand a little bit more about game development.

You're welcome.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SomethingJones posted:

Is 'experience' a verb or a noun here?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Dark Off posted:

Seeing as they've already published their 2018 roadmap for the PU, and they've told us this is a mirror of their JIRA, they aren't expecting to hire a physics guy this year at all because they'd have planned physics into it

Maybe they'll get some ideas from the interviews, should anyone smart enough to have a degree in physics also be dumb enough to want to work on Star Citizen

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dark Off posted:

Yeah, like we can't have both where they've just used Bullet but brutalised the coding and rebranded it to Star Physics.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Krycek posted:

Come on goonie, everyone knows that just thinking about something means it's practically done. They already have the base game built, layering the physics onto your code takes practically no time at all. They just need to insert
code:
#include physics.io
Into the meshes and they're finished. See how easy that was? Now you understand a little bit more about game development.

You're welcome.

I think you'll find it's

MERGE "physics"
then press play on your cassette recorder

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

SelenicMartian posted:

Is 'experience' a verb or a noun here?

Yes

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

SomethingJones posted:

What? No Tweets, no blogs, no Discord channels, no doxxing? And still you expect us to believe you? Next thing you say is 2 weeks, 90 days top?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

quote:

GTA 5 took 5 years to development with a budget of $250 million and over a thousand people working on the game not to mention that they already had their company set up. CIG literally had to start from scratch creating a company hiring employees opening offices etc. And with such a small staff until only recently reaching 300 game development really only just started. Not to mention the size of star citizen compared to most AAA games like GTA 5.

It will never cease to amaze me how some backers will never realize this very argument is the one that precisely offers the more clear reason about why CIG can not do it and will fail at it.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 11, 2018

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Lol at all the sad sacks ankle-biting Dr Smart in here

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Cant thank you enough for these transcriptions man. So much poo poo to go through. I am scanning back and forth but I have not been able to find anything clear (lol) about the latest on the damage system. If there was any hint that the individual module thing is to be scrapped in favor of a unique life bar that would be really hilarious.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/21uDg2c.gifv

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

SomethingJones posted:

I think you'll find it's

MERGE "physics"
then press play on your cassette recorder

LOAD "physics",8,1

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Cat acts better than sandi.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

MedicineHut posted:

Cant thank you enough for these transcriptions man. So much poo poo to go through. I am scanning back and forth but I have not been able to find anything clear (lol) about the latest on the damage system. If there was any hint that the individual module thing is to be scrapped in favor of a unique life bar that would be really hilarious.

It would be glorious if they spelled it out like that but it's CIG. They hem and haw for 2 hours and you have to read between the lines. Occasionally someone will slip up hard like Will M. seems to like doing and come right out saying 'that thing we promised 4 years ago? Nobody is working on that'

https://relay.sc/transcript/around-the-verse-bringing-balance-to-force

quote:

The way armour works it’s a multiplier on the damage the ships taking. We gave the civilian armours a multiplier of 0.9 so that times the damage by 0.9 so that lessens it a bit. But military ships would have 0.7 or 0.6 so the would take less damage overall. So even if the ships ... the Gladius and, say, the 300 they’re roughly the same size with the same amount of health but the Gladius will take more hits because it’s got better armour on. That’s … we prefer to have that rather than just giving Gladius an extra 3000 health because it’s tidier at the end of the day.

What they are doing seems a little backwards to me. 0.7 is armor than 0.9? Maybe they are doing this but 0 for no armor and 1 for perfect armor makes more sense to programmers, then find the inverse in the dmg logic or at compile. But the way they're speaking about it multiple times this way makes me think they're not.

Side note if you want players very invested in maintaining and upgrading their ships why wouldn't you start all ships with a base armor of almost nothing? Allowing players to find better armor plating as they fight stronger and stronger enemies? Just another cart before the horse designs they've come up with that shows they are totally out of their depth in making an MMO.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

If armour is a multiplier and SC trusts client, can you cheat it to 0?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

SomethingJones posted:

Reverse The loving Hearse
Jan 28th 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS6FpCpt5m4&t=2507s
@ 41:48

Chris Roberts:
There's THOUSANDS of tasks and the information is OVERWHELMING.

So we sort of show the very HIGH LEVEL, ah, you know, what we would call an EPIC, ah, or in some cases sort of a SAGA which is overwhelming... over... quite a few EPICS... I know they... always thought of it... EPICS, SAGAS, STORIES... TASKS!

Ah, but... um... ah, so... so... so... so... so... so we... we... we ex... we EXPOSE those and we mark which ones are public facing, ah we WANTED to get the ROADMAP in people's hands which is why we went LIVE with it here... but they still have, ah... ORGANISATION work to do because they gotta take the way JIRA was set up BEFORE, some of it's been done, not all of it's been done, so they have to change it around because the... they gotta organise under the right EPICS and everything

So in the case where they don't feel COMFORTABLE that they don't have it organised properly and it's DUPICATE TASKS cos you know sometimes there were tasks set up from BEFORE but now we're setting it up on this new one, so in those cases they just choose not to show that epic publically until they have it... ah... in SHAPE, ah, so you'll see that ROADMAP, ehm... we'll get more THINGS added to it... ah, of course things also will... MOVE AROUND a little bit as... maybe a bit more information comes to light or how it's going

But that's the BEAUTY of it, it's gonna be A HUNDRED PERCENT LIVE reflection of the tool that we use to manage all the teams and we're using exactly the same process on Squadron 42 which is gonna get me to the end... to... the ANSWER... the original question which is, 'are you gonna get there to a roadmap like that', and... YES... ha! And YES, we... we will... ah... eh... we will... ah, if you look on the side there's a Star Citizen logo, there will be a Squadron 42 logo... you'll get the ROADMAP

So once we have the Squadron 42... ah... TASKS and EPICS all cleaned up and ready to go... we uh... then we'll also TURN THAT ON and share it

It may not be done on a QUARTERLY it may be done on a MONTHLY I'm not quite SURE

We're still discussing, ah, um, kind of a COLUMN FORMAT for it, ah... but it will, again, SCRUB LIVE from all the... the TASKS that we have, ah, and EPICS and SAGAS that we have entered, ahm, for finishing out Squadron 42

Lol, we're in 2018 and still no scheduling of tasks -- and probably not even a list of tasks -- for SQ42.

And in 2018 the priority is to set-up Jira again (which arguably they only set up early last year).

After seven years in pre-alpha: Set. Up. Jira.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

Star Citizen: Reverse the Verse LIVE - Ship Combat Experience
Feb 9th 2018

Game design by committee down to the level of 'the turret guys' with no communication evident between groups. lol.

That they act so clueless in these videos is really telling. I mean they know they're going to be on video and must be prepared. This is them at their best. Truly hopeless.

I'm guessing since Chris never plays the game and doesn't care about anything but FMVs, there is nobody in charge of making gameplay decisions or honing the design. It's in a permanently broken limbo state and the limp-rear end community may actually be the main driver on it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

AbstractNapper posted:

Lol, we're in 2018 and still no scheduling of tasks -- and probably not even a list of tasks -- for SQ42.
Uh, wrong. Crobbers has meticulously planned every detail of SQ42's development.

Mocap
Mocap
Mocap
Suck up to Hollywood actors in the desperate hope their stardom will rub off on you by mere proximity.
Mocap
Mocap
Mocap
Amend script because the Hollywood actors you were sucking up to all got sick of your poo poo and hosed off.
Mocap
Mocap
Mocap
Get sued for breach of contract again because you just can't help being a loving scumbag.

As you can see, he's right on schedule.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Dark Off posted:

As far as I know Cryengine 3 has its own custom physics engine. It's wonky as hell and I've seen it do the kind of stuff you see in SC videos quite a lot.

The code is probably a complete loving nightmare as well, good luck to whoever tries that role...

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
It's that bit in Red Dwarf come to life.
Where Rimmer sets out his study plan, and he refines it over and over until 15 mins before the exam.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Spatial posted:

As far as I know Cryengine 3 has its own custom physics engine. It's wonky as hell and I've seen it do the kind of stuff you see in SC videos quite a lot.

The code is probably a complete loving nightmare as well, good luck to whoever tries that role...

After watching an hour of Valve's Physics for Game Programmers I can say for certain that unless you have multiple successful titles under your belt, you should probably leave the 3D physics engines to the experts.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

MedicineHut posted:

quote:

GTA 5 took 5 years to development with a budget of $250 million and over a thousand people working on the game not to mention that they already had their company set up. CIG literally had to start from scratch creating a company hiring employees opening offices etc. And with such a small staff until only recently reaching 300 game development really only just started. Not to mention the size of star citizen compared to most AAA games like GTA 5.
It will never cease to amaze me how some backers will never realize this very argument is the one that precisely offers the more clear reason about why CIG can not do it and will fail at it.

It's even more funny when you consider that:

1. The $250M+ budget includes marketing, which is generally the bulk of the expenses. The actual development cost of GTA 5 was estimated to $137M ( https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-02-01-gta-v-dev-costs-over-USD137-million-says-analyst ).

2. SC fans conveniently assimilate "1000 people worked on GTA 5" to "1000 people worked on GTA 5 concurrently during 5 years", which isn't exactly the same. The 1000 people who worked on the game didn't work on it for the full duration of the production; some of them, especially QA testers, audio producers, voice actors etc.. were in for a much shorter contract.

3. SC fans conveniently forget that the 5 years of production include pre-production, which had a much, much smaller team doing research and design/concepts. There was at least 2 years of pre-production.

4. SC fans conveniently forget that these 5 years start from scratch and go to shipping a final product. SC is still in rough alpha after 6 years. How many more to go to the full release ?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

The second bullet point:

quote:

* The development team went to a more encapsulated and complete model to prevent ping-ponging to better see the product from start to finish more efficiently

e: It’s as if Chris Roberts Himself descended from the heavens and typed every word of that salad with His golden index fingers. I think his brand of retard is contagious.

Toops fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 11, 2018

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Nyast posted:

1. The $250M+ budget includes marketing, which is generally the bulk of the expenses. The actual development cost of GTA 5 was estimated to $137M ( https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-02-01-gta-v-dev-costs-over-USD137-million-says-analyst )

I like how crowd-funding is in theory a convenient way to reduce your marketing costs, because well if you have a sufficiently large base of backers and you keep them happy with progress report updates they will do the marketing for you.

Instead Star Citizen chose to invest in marketing almost exclusively for several years, in order to fleece its base of backers and bleed them dry, with little to none (= pre-alpha) actual progress towards the promised games.

What a joke.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

For the historical records:

OCTOBER 11TH 2012

quote:

When I said I missed old school difficulty to gaming you probably didn’t think that I would make the pledge process more difficult than fighting the toughest boss monster in Demon’s Souls!

Well neither did I!

Wednesday morning we set out to prove that PC gaming and Space Sims are not dead… and prove it, we did!

We’re absolutely floored by the attention and humbled by your comments. We hoped everyone would be excited about the big idea behind Star Citizen and Squadron 42 — but we had no expectation about the kind of praise and interest we received yesterday.

The downside of all this attention was that the huge number of people from all around the world trying to learn about Star Citizen and make their pledge, crashed our custom crowd funding page and also took down the core community site.

Until then, we were on track to break crowd funding records. Now, thirty hours later, we’re only just getting the core site back online. The proper crowd funding page is still unfortunately down, but we have a backup site that, while not having the full range of features we intended, can take people’s pledges. With this site we have to update the data manually as there is no way to easily collect the crowd funding statistics on a live basis, which is why you haven’t seen a counter on the backup site. We are working very hard to get the main crowd funding plug in to play nice with the rest of the site, so we can deliver the seamless experience we envisioned when opting to have the crowd funding integrated into the main community site. Don’t worry, no one has lost their golden ticket, and we will ensure that everyone who makes a pledge on the backup site is connected to their community account. Please be patient while we organize this process.

We didn’t just set out to raise money to build a game; we set out to build a community. The intention was never to shut off the forums, disable the Golden Tickets or stop the flow of information after the launch; anything but. We hope you’ll bear with us as we get the community back online. The features you’ve enjoyed for the past month will continue — the Comm-Link, RSI Museum and Time Capsule — along with much more information about Star Citizen and chances to interact with its development team. As we move forward in this endeavor, you are our strongest asset; a vanguard of dedicated fans who will help us build and promote this game.

If you’re one of the lucky few warriors that snuck past the Java trolls and WordPress goblins to access the pledge site yesterday, thank you so much for your dedication.

If not, we promise we’ve beaten back these evil interlopers and ask you to pledge and spread the word to make this new universe possible. We are listening to you on the forums, are committed to giving you daily updates and will be rolling out some exciting new features in the coming days that hopefully make up for our initial snafu.

We lost the opportunity to break the first day record, but the race isn’t over yet! We currently stand at $455, 590 raised from 4,564 pledges which is pretty impressive considering the outage we’ve had. Seems everyone wants the RSI Constellation and physical goodies!

But we need get this up. Space Sims trumped RPGs in the old days, let’s get a little of that inter-genre friendly rivalry back!

If you haven’t made your pledge yet, please do as I would hate for the technical problems to have derailed our initial momentum. We still have a ways to go but I have no doubt with your support we will get there. This is our chance to tell the world: PC gaming and space sims are BACK!

Chris Roberts
Cloud Imperium Games

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Toops posted:

I like this dude. I've always liked this dude. He would be a p chill hang imo.

:same:

Nyast posted:

1. The $250M+ budget includes marketing, which is generally the bulk of the expenses. The actual development cost of GTA 5 was estimated to $137M ( https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-02-01-gta-v-dev-costs-over-USD137-million-says-analyst ).

2. SC fans conveniently assimilate "1000 people worked on GTA 5" to "1000 people worked on GTA 5 concurrently during 5 years", which isn't exactly the same. The 1000 people who worked on the game didn't work on it for the full duration of the production; some of them, especially QA testers, audio producers, voice actors etc.. were in for a much shorter contract.

3. SC fans conveniently forget that the 5 years of production include pre-production, which had a much, much smaller team doing research and design/concepts. There was at least 2 years of pre-production.

4. SC fans conveniently forget that these 5 years start from scratch and go to shipping a final product. SC is still in rough alpha after 6 years. How many more to go to the fullest release ?
[/quote]

It's even funnier if you consider that people after still taking Star Citizen seriously. Chris certainly isn't. The developers certainly aren't. The only people who still care about this abortion and think it has a chance in hell of coming out are the backers who "will never know". It's particularly hilarious when you consider that they're disputing a basic verifiable fact sourced to Chris Roberts himself.

There is nothing left about Star Citizen that should be taken seriously. Chris is a joke. Derek is a broken clock. The rest of the staff stopped giving a poo poo and are just trying to collect a paycheck. The product is an unsustainable mess. The backers who are left have proven themselves to be insufferable fools who deserve to have their money wasted... assuming they're not paid shills.

There's no reason to counter their arguments. They don't care any more than I do about hearing about how great Star Citizen is. There's no reason to listen to anything CIG says; it's all lies with the sole purpose of exploiting the gullible. It's all a giant joke and the punchline is Chris's bank account.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

quote:

snort lines
gently caress (over) bitches
get money

Chris Roberts
Cloud Imperium Games
Robert Space Industry
Roberts Space Industry
Robert Space Industries
Roberts Space Industries
Cloud Imperium Game
Foundry 42
Foundries 42
Some Other Company That Has a Name Similar To Another Company

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, a thousand people working concurrently in a game over a year would be like 100m in expenses right there. No developer is going to have full production of a game, thats 300+ working on a title for more than 4 years. The moment they see that something is wrong with the production they'll shuffle staff around the studios to work on other projects while a core team tries to unfuck whatever the big blocker is.Like FFXV had massive issues, but during the time of its production the director was credited in another like 15+ games.

CIG cant do that. So instead, the only thing that they can do on time while everything else languishes is more ships, so they keep pumping out ships and creating more functions for those ships that just set back a full release even further because now the people that are behind need to account for the new ships as well

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

quote:

4. SC fans conveniently forget that these 5 years start from scratch and go to shipping a final product. SC is still in rough alpha after 6 years. How many more to go to the full release ?

I think there are two big caveats there:

When GTAV started pre-production Rocksteady already had a decade-ish accumulated experience of:
1) using and developing their own game engine which they'd already pushed out 3-4 games using
2) refining the core gameplay concepts that are the same for every GTA game.

Because of that they got to spend those 5 years and budget on quality and polish.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 11, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The only people who still care about this abortion and think it has a chance in hell of coming out are the backers who "will never know". It's particularly hilarious when you consider that they're disputing a basic verifiable fact sourced to Chris Roberts himself.

Chris verified what?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

CIG hired a lot of Crytek people so they should have considerable engine expertise too.

As for gameplay refinement, could easily be done by now but they don't bother with that. but they're going to be starting soon, a few months back they actually hired some gameplay programmers

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Spatial posted:

gameplay programmers

Internally they refer to them as gameplay layerers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

On the engine front, Rockstar walked into gta5 knowing intimately what their platform can and cannot do.