Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Collateral Damage posted:

The point is nostalgia.

Also I should install Winamp 2.x again, it was really a nice little program before it turned into poo poo with 3.x

I know it's nostalgia. I just don't get the point of a Winamp player in your browser when typing "Winamp 2.x" gets you what you want on the first page of Google. It's not like we need DOS to run it or something.

I'm also a sucker foe Winamp 5 just for the media library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

I guess you can use browser-based WinAmp on non-Windows machines, maybe even phones?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah 3 sucked. It sucked so bad that Nullsoft skipped 4 and went on to 5. I'm not sure what the logic behind that was.

Winamp 5 was decent because it had Winamp 2 skin compatibility. It had all the features of 5 but you could make it look exactly like 2 if you wanted to which of course you did.

As I understand it, Winamp 5 is quite literally Winamp 2.92 with the skinning engine of Winamp 3 added as a plugin.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Star Man posted:

I know it's nostalgia. I just don't get the point of a Winamp player in your browser when typing "Winamp 2.x" gets you what you want on the first page of Google. It's not like we need DOS to run it or something.

I'm also a sucker foe Winamp 5 just for the media library.

Have you ever done something for the fun of it

Even if you haven't can you at least imagine someone doing so

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

rndmnmbr posted:

As I understand it, Winamp 5 is quite literally Winamp 2.92 with the skinning engine of Winamp 3 added as a plugin.

Yup, 2+3=5, from what I remember.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

5 had the browser thing. And I'd say the media library, but that technically was a plugin. I think both those things weren't present in 2.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

FilthyImp posted:

Yup, 2+3=5, from what I remember.

"It's so good that we skipped a version."

Or something like that. I've been using Winamp 5 since at least 2008.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Anyone actually use something like this?

There was a short window where they made sense, and I have only ever run across a couple of them in the wild. First time I saw one I had no idea what the hell I was looking at and had to research it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CaptainSarcastic posted:

There was a short window where they made sense, and I have only ever run across a couple of them in the wild. First time I saw one I had no idea what the hell I was looking at and had to research it.

what the hell is that

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Randaconda posted:

what the hell is that

It basically let you use sticks of RAM as an SSD. There's a small battery that provides enough power to keep the storage persistent. It fits in a PCI slot and has a SATA connector so it maps like a regular drive. I've seen them both for DDR and DDR2, the latter allowing slightly more useful storage space. For whatever reason the box is showing the card unpopulated - picture those slots filled with desktop RAM.

Once SSDs came down in price I think the whole concept made less sense.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Randaconda posted:

what the hell is that

It’s a RAM drive.

You load it up with DDR sticks and it presents to the system as a storage device. This one is SATA but later/better models used PCI‐e.

You wouldn’t use it for long‐term storage (it’s volatile, for one), but it’s far faster than a platter drive as a scratch disk for Photoshop or whatever.

Nowadays, SSDs exist and computers support slotting in more RAM directly, so RAM drives aren’t as hot.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It probably made more sense in 2005 because a lot of people were still running 32-bit operating systems and were hitting the limit.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Remember ram disks? That's as old as DOS, but probably more useful/usable a few years after DOS' prime.

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 00:47 on Feb 11, 2018

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mystes posted:

It probably made more sense in 2005 because a lot of people were still running 32-bit operating systems and were hitting the limit.

... the limit of RAM.

This is a ram drive, totally different.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Remember ram disks? That's as old as DOS, but probably more useful/usable a few years after DOS' prime.

Their heyday has passed, but if you do need a ramdisk, they're still a piece of cake to set up. It's a one-liner in Linux or Mac, and there are free utilities to do it in Windows.

Could be useful, perhaps, if you have a program that insists on writing its temp stuff to files instead of just allocating more RAM. Trick it into doing it the fast way.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

... the limit of RAM.

This is a ram drive, totally different.
That is exactly what I was saying?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

mystes posted:

That is exactly what I was saying?

Your post made it sound like you thought a RAM drive would increase the system RAM.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I was saying that in 2005 people were hitting the limit for system ram on 32-bit operating systems so it made sense to work around that by using additional sticks of ram as hard drives via one of these devices even if it wasn't as performant, whereas without the limit on system ram it would make more sense to just use additional sticks of ram normally.

Many programs are capable of working with data sets larger than system memory by reading/writing to external memory (disk), so it would still be possible to improve performance by using ram as a hard drive in many cases even if it would be less ideal than increasing system memory.

mystes has a new favorite as of 05:29 on Feb 11, 2018

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

My Amiga 1000 has a ramdrive icon that loads up with Workbench

Man the days of janitoring 512kb of ram must’ve been rough

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

5 had the browser thing. And I'd say the media library, but that technically was a plugin. I think both those things weren't present in 2.

2.92 had everything 5 has except the skinning engine.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

mystes posted:

Plus ram was cheap back then and SSDs were in their infancy, had teething problems and were expensive

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have seen similar gadgets, but those were Vesa Local Bus. There were also VLB IDE controllers that supported 4(!) hard drives, I borrowed one of those with 2x1GB drives full of scene stuff and Linux Torrents. Pick and choose what to copy to my (then also large) Conner 540 MB.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

My Amiga 1000 has a ramdrive icon that loads up with Workbench

Man the days of janitoring 512kb of ram must’ve been rough

The Amiga RAM disk changed size automatically to fit the contents, so no janitoring was required. With DOS you had to decide ahead of time how big the RAM disk was going to be and then that RAM was unusable for anything else even if the RAM disk was empty.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sweevo posted:

The Amiga RAM disk changed size automatically to fit the contents, so no janitoring was required. With DOS you had to decide ahead of time how big the RAM disk was going to be and then that RAM was unusable for anything else even if the RAM disk was empty.

Amiga does what PC DOSn't.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Was it just bad business decisions that led to Commodore crashing and burning so fast?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
I once set up a 512 K RAM drive on another computer and mounted it using LANtastic over a serial connection. Much to my surprise at the time, it wasn't super fast.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Randaconda posted:

Was it just bad business decisions that led to Commodore crashing and burning so fast?

Piracy was a big factor as well. No-one's going to buy a computer with no new softwaregames coming out ever again and no-one's going to make new games for a system when only 1% of owners get their games legally.

What I mean is you can get away with bad business decisions if you just ship hell of units all the time.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Randaconda posted:

It was financed by a dodgey guy (irving gould?), and Jack Tramiel was commodore (as in driving it, but his way or the highway), but who eventually left to go to atari. Then things got toxic with irving and replacement ceos he hired to replace tramiel, and the engineers leaving because it was a ship without a captain. It only really survived as long as it did because it bought the amiga and the designers from another company - it was hosed before then because they pissed away the c64 success on losing projects until acquiring the amiga.
Brian Bagnall wrote a good book about it called "On the Edge: The Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore"

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 14:08 on Feb 11, 2018

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I encountered these today. The thread subtitle is now complete.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Gonz posted:

I encountered these today. The thread subtitle is now complete.

check and see if they have some of those "dvd rewinders" nearby.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Bookman’s is the best :allears:

And often has a decent amount of stuff that would fit in this thread.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

The resurgence of pay toilets is apparently an even more interesting one... I was curious what the exact ordinance was, so I looked into it, and for Ohio, it's 4101:1-29-02.6.2 of the Ohio Revised code. But apparently that section was repealed in 2007. Nik-o-Loc, the company that makes the locking doors for stalls, has apparently been lobbying states ever since the ban, and has been successful in getting many of them overturned.

Can't wait for the Black Mirror Future where I've got to swipe my credit card or tap my phone to pay to unlock the restroom every time I need to go to the bathroom :negative:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

The resurgence of pay toilets is apparently an even more interesting one... I was curious what the exact ordinance was, so I looked into it, and for Ohio, it's 4101:1-29-02.6.2 of the Ohio Revised code. But apparently that section was repealed in 2007. Nik-o-Loc, the company that makes the locking doors for stalls, has apparently been lobbying states ever since the ban, and has been successful in getting many of them overturned.

Can't wait for the Black Mirror Future where I've got to swipe my credit card or tap my phone to pay to unlock the restroom every time I need to go to the bathroom :negative:

Your phone buzzes.

It's a text from the pay toilet company.

"We noticed you haven't visited us in a while! Use code POO4U at any Starbucks for a free medium coffee to get things moving again!"

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
If there's a resurgence it would be interesting. I've never seen a pay toilet in Australia and the previous article said they disappeared from the US in the '70s.
I saw a few in Europe in the 90s (stand alone in the middle of the street self cleaning booths), but seriously guys would piss anywhere and normally poo poo while on the clock or at home, so it would be women that would get inconvenienced mainly.
Besides there's heaps more public toilets these days like shopping centres, major chain shops/markets/stations, bars, restaurants or even beaches/parks that would never lock the loo these days due to fear of offending customers/council/ratepayers etc. I can't see it ever working again unless main cbd, or only ma and pop stores, or main railway stations in the middle of the cbd - but there's always going to be a pub/bar nearby to the main cbd train or bus station for obvious reasons, which would never install them because it would annoy their regulars.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I just love the idea of pooping my pants while trying to register on a pay toilet phone app.

Casimir Radon has a new favorite as of 18:02 on Feb 12, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

I just love the idea of pooping my pants while trying to register on a pay toilet phone app.

We’ve just sent you a confirmation email. Sometimes these can get backed up so check your spam folder!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Swedish McDonald’s used to have pay toilets.

Also blue light for making veins less visible.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

axolotl farmer posted:

Swedish McDonald’s used to have pay toilets.

Also blue light for making veins less visible.
I thought you were talking about penis veins and got real confused.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

*pays a dollar to take a dump* Restroom 1 is really good value!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This is my favorite shitter on the station.