Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Lazyfire posted:

His trigger discipline mantra is "pull the trigger if you are aiming at a Nazi."

Now now, sometimes it's "Don't pull trigger, use Axe" or "Don't pull trigger, use grenade".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't pull trigger, splat them into paste with your giant body and gravity.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Initiate a sequence of events whereby your finger is lodged firmly behind a Nazi eyeball, then sharply retract it, pulling the trigger.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Let's talk about the Dieselkraftwerk. It's the Wyatt exclusive special weapon and it's pretty much just the napalm cannon some of the super soldiers dual wield that you can pick up. It has some fun features, like being able to remote detonate the charges or set them to explode on contact. It also changes how some puzzles work in the game, but the game doesn't have a ton of those to start with so it isn't much of a change. I tend to think of the dieselkraftwerk as the better gun for the run of the mill enemies through the game while the laser gun from the Fergus timeline is far superior for taking out the big enemies once you upgrade to the charge cannon. My first upgrade is always going to the pistol silencer for obvious reasons, but in this playthrough I'm going to dump most of the early upgrades to the dieselkraftwerk in order to make it a bit better suited to hitting the big guys as well. The average Nazi goon isn't exactly a bullet sponge on easy, so I'm not going to feel pressed to upgrade the AR or SMG the way I did in the main playthrough of the game.

What should be obvious from this video is that even on easy I am bad at stealth. Like, really bad.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

If there's one thing I'll give Wyatt over Fergus, he at least did make an attempt to bond with his route-exclusive character in TNO and showed that he had done so over the course of the game. I'm glad that TNC at least acknowledges J's existence in some fashion and that his death affected Wyatt. Tekla...was like three minutes removed from being a red shirt in TNO and I don't even recall if Fergus actually interacts with Tekla outside of the first cutscene with the Kreisau Circle.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

If there's one thing I'll give Wyatt over Fergus, he at least did make an attempt to bond with his route-exclusive character in TNO and showed that he had done so over the course of the game. I'm glad that TNC at least acknowledges J's existence in some fashion and that his death affected Wyatt. Tekla...was like three minutes removed from being a red shirt in TNO and I don't even recall if Fergus actually interacts with Tekla outside of the first cutscene with the Kreisau Circle.

I think they have an argument about moving heavy objects into the transports, too.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I do like Blasko's version of KIGY.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Donkringel posted:

Oh that is clever of the designers.

A few games do that. Witcher 3 wouldn't let you use your weapons or magic on people.

Instead I used to rile up monsters and lead them into town to attack everyone. You couldn't kill civilians as they're immortal, but soldiers certainly weren't and it was a great way to farm their gear early on when you really need the money.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I liked Williams reaction to the Dieselgun.

"Can you handle it?" "This side kills nazis?" "Yes." Then I'll be fine."

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
After watching the funeral scene again, it strikes me how much Caroline's death affects BJ. He muses about death after having literally just killed somewhere on the order of 100 people earlier in the day. It's very clear, and very understandable, that he doesn't consider the Nazis to be people. I would have liked for that to bleed over into his interactions with Sigrun more. Yeah, she indirectly saved his life and has renounced her affiliations with her countrymen, but for someone who kills people like her reflexively and who isn't the least bit bothered by doing so, you think he'd be a hell of a lot more callous towards her.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Not sure that BJ actually routinely kills people who look like they could play Wagner's Brunhilde.

Like, after all the heavily armored stormtroopers and sociopath-chic commanders, she's a little hard to take seriously as a Nazi who needs to be put down right away.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Also it's pretty clear from the first time he's seen her that Sigrun is nowhere near the standard Nazi template. Meanwhile, from everything else that we've seen of the Third Reich, it's walking, cancerous, pox-ridden assdicks all the way down from the Fuhrer on down. Basically BJ shows Sigrun basic human decency because she's capable of showing basic human decency. The other Nazis aren't even capable of doing that to each other under most circumstances.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

GunnerJ posted:

Not sure that BJ actually routinely kills people who look like they could play Wagner's Brunhilde.

Like, after all the heavily armored stormtroopers and sociopath-chic commanders, she's a little hard to take seriously as a Nazi who needs to be put down right away.

Yeah, but we are talking about a man who breaks Nazi skulls on his wheelchair, cuts their legs off and buries an axe into their chest, shoots them, burns them, melts them, and does all manner of over-the-top violent things to Nazis on a regular basis, reflexively (he couldn't stop himself from killing the Nazi while acting), and in close combat. Jaded doesn't even begin to describe the mindset he'd have to be in to be able to pull that off without having any of it affect him. He has to dehumanize them to the point where they're not just not human, but an existential threat to society that must be put down (which is absolutely correct).

I have no problems with him not killing her outright; I just would have liked them to explore the angle of him being conflicted about how to treat her.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

After watching the funeral scene again, it strikes me how much Caroline's death affects BJ. He muses about death after having literally just killed somewhere on the order of 100 people earlier in the day.
Part of that has to do with the shared history of B.J. and Caroline. Remember, Wolfenstein 09 makes the player think that Caroline died at the very end of the game, only for TNO to reveal that she actually survived (albeit paralyzed from the waist down) and much like B.J.'s situation in that game, got a second chance at life. However, now B.J.'s seen Caroline--one of his closest allies and confidants--die for real, and coupled with him accepting that his body is shutting down due to the side effects of face tanking a Cutscene Grenade ExplosionTM, retreats into the broken shell state we see until his execution. Wyatt even picks up on this (another point in his favor over Fergus) and calls B.J. out for mentally checking out of the fight when B.J. is the last person who'd even consider taking that course of action.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

After watching the funeral scene again, it strikes me how much Caroline's death affects BJ. He muses about death after having literally just killed somewhere on the order of 100 people earlier in the day. It's very clear, and very understandable, that he doesn't consider the Nazis to be people. I would have liked for that to bleed over into his interactions with Sigrun more. Yeah, she indirectly saved his life and has renounced her affiliations with her countrymen, but for someone who kills people like her reflexively and who isn't the least bit bothered by doing so, you think he'd be a hell of a lot more callous towards her.

Thing is, he already went through that arc with Klaus. Went from chokeslamming the guy to being his friend, and he saw Klaus give his life for the Circle.

Hell, even at his most callous, BJ appologized for the chokeslam and did try to bridge the gulf, even if he didn't try too hard at first.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

CommissarMega posted:

Also it's pretty clear from the first time he's seen her that Sigrun is nowhere near the standard Nazi template. Meanwhile, from everything else that we've seen of the Third Reich, it's walking, cancerous, pox-ridden assdicks all the way down from the Fuhrer on down. Basically BJ shows Sigrun basic human decency because she's capable of showing basic human decency. The other Nazis aren't even capable of doing that to each other under most circumstances.

Also I think the fact that her mom is pretty abusive to her probably engenders a lot of sympathy in BJ.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Plus the fact Sigrun was not a Nazi by choice, she was born into it. It probably also helps that Engel was berating her for her diary with her 'sick fantasies' (probably just of romancing normal people who aren't hosed up assholes).

I liked the 'We don't allow Nazis on our boat' line from Anya in that cutscene, it certainly looks like the 'old guard' are more accepting of Sigrun as an ex-Nazi trying to reform and help, at least compared to Grace's crew.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Of course BJ relates to Sigrun. The dog/dad scene was basically a 1/1 duplicate of Sigrun's scene.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It probably helped a little that the Kreisau Circle used to have Klaus, another reformed Nazi. Grace's crew never had anyone like that.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Zark the Damned posted:

Plus the fact Sigrun was not a Nazi by choice, she was born into it. It probably also helps that Engel was berating her for her diary with her 'sick fantasies' (probably just of romancing normal people who aren't hosed up assholes).

I liked the 'We don't allow Nazis on our boat' line from Anya in that cutscene, it certainly looks like the 'old guard' are more accepting of Sigrun as an ex-Nazi trying to reform and help, at least compared to Grace's crew.

I took the "sick fantasies" line as meaning "lesbian fantasies" backed up by Engle chasing Sigrun around with Caroline's head making kisses at her.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assumed that too and then got confused when she and bombate got together.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I assumed that too and then got confused when she and bombate got together.

Maybe she's Bi

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I guess I'm also looking forward to Bombate getting his comeuppance. This is once again not this sort of thing I was expecting to be thinking about in the "shoot nazi robots with laser guns" game, but I am definitely not complaining about this turn of events.

Also thinking about the introduction to the party scene, having blazcowicz walk into the room you are standing in with guns drawn and then intentionally surprising him doesn't seem like the safest thing to do.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zark the Damned posted:

Maybe she's Bi

Maybe she hasnt had the chance to form a proper/explore her own sexual identity because of nazi culture.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I feel like this is where you should start watching videos if you want to see the real differences Wyatt is going to bring to the story. As someone mentioned earlier, Wyatt seemed to have a real relationship with J in TNO where Fergus seemed to just have somehow drawn Tekla into the resistance. That came into play briefly in the last video, but in this video...well, just watch.

Playing this area again on easy mode makes me think about difficulty levels in games a bit more than usual. First time through this area on normal it feels like the training wheels are off and you really do have to be smarter about a lot of things like enemy placement and sneaking around. On easy you are basically the Terminator. There's a weird power trip that comes with playing on easy to the point where I wonder who it was made to please at the end of the day. It can't be for young kids because they shouldn't be touching this game for a number of reasons. At the same time, I can't see an adult spending $60 on the game to just waltz through it like I do. Then again, I think difficulty shouldn't be scaled through the "Enemies have less health and hit you less often" system most games use and should instead be based around the number of enemies you may face, the tools at your disposal and the objectives you are given.

This was initially the idea behind the difficulty levels in Goldeneye, by the way. As you upped the difficulty you had more objectives added to each level in addition to other challenges being assigned to the mode (less ammo, more durable enemies). It would have been interesting to see what would happen if developers wanted to balance difficulty simply on the number of objectives you had. In a game with limited health or a time limit I could totally see that working. I would love to see more use of the environment or additional commanders or something in this game based on which difficulty I selected. Instead I get all the same enemies and the same Point A to Point B system. Granted, this game isn't meant to have a ton of side missions or even that much in the way of genuine distractions during levels, so it isn't the best example.

I think it is incredibly hard to balance the difficulties in a single player game. How much damage should an enemy do on easy vs. normal? How do we space out fights so the easy mode player doesn't feel overwhelmed but the normal mode player won't feel unchallenged? With more time and resources the developers could theoretically make a game that has enough challenge and accomplishment on hand to make all players feel like they are getting something out of it, I just feel like upping how hard it is to kill a guy isn't the answer.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lazyfire posted:

I think it is incredibly hard to balance the difficulties in a single player game. How much damage should an enemy do on easy vs. normal? How do we space out fights so the easy mode player doesn't feel overwhelmed but the normal mode player won't feel unchallenged? With more time and resources the developers could theoretically make a game that has enough challenge and accomplishment on hand to make all players feel like they are getting something out of it, I just feel like upping how hard it is to kill a guy isn't the answer.

And then there's the shmucks who think their gamer cred is at state, insist on playing on Hard and then complain that the game is difficult.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I play games on Easy because I'm disabled enough that aiming, stealth, and whatnot are harder than average for me and because I play more for story than for testing my skill. And in this game's case, I'd play on Easy just to kill Nazis faster.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

And then there's the shmucks who think their gamer cred is at state, insist on playing on Hard and then complain that the game is difficult.

Please don’t doxx me

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Any video where I get to see Super Spech get all giddy over a functioning toilet is a good video to me.

Beyond that, this time we get to see what I think is the fundamental weakness of the Wyatt path: big enemies are harder to kill with his gun. I think part of my issue was I didn't aim for the weak joints on our big friend here, instead focusing on headshots, but even on easy mode I drained the dieselkratwerk and didn't take out the target. I'm interested to see what people think of Grace in this timeline vs. the Fergus timeline. Yes, she still pops on the boat and takes charge immediately, but without Fergus to goad her on I think she comes off far more level headed and strong. Part of that may be because Wyatt just does what she asks with no accommodation requested (remember, Fergus asked her to say "please" at this point), but I think that fact portrays her projecting her authority far better than her kowtowing Fergus in the same scene. Maybe I am reading way to far into it.

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

Any video where I get to see Super Spech get all giddy over a functioning toilet is a good video to me.

Beyond that, this time we get to see what I think is the fundamental weakness of the Wyatt path: big enemies are harder to kill with his gun. I think part of my issue was I didn't aim for the weak joints on our big friend here, instead focusing on headshots, but even on easy mode I drained the dieselkratwerk and didn't take out the target. I'm interested to see what people think of Grace in this timeline vs. the Fergus timeline. Yes, she still pops on the boat and takes charge immediately, but without Fergus to goad her on I think she comes off far more level headed and strong. Part of that may be because Wyatt just does what she asks with no accommodation requested (remember, Fergus asked her to say "please" at this point), but I think that fact portrays her projecting her authority far better than her kowtowing Fergus in the same scene. Maybe I am reading way to far into it.

The dieselkratwerk is designed for you to lay down a line of explosive mines for the Super Soldats to run over while you remote detonate them and kill them. It's not really meant to be like a straight up rocket launcher to go head to head, more like a flamethrower/flame grenade launcher that's meant to clear out Nazis in a group

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Maybe she hasnt had the chance to form a proper/explore her own sexual identity because of nazi culture.

Or maybe she has deepseated emotional trauma from being chased around with a recently decapitated head by her own mother.

Ahh the mysteries of romance. :allears:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Rigged Death Trap posted:

That was how I interpreted it as well.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

I play games on Easy because I'm disabled enough that aiming, stealth, and whatnot are harder than average for me and because I play more for story than for testing my skill. And in this game's case, I'd play on Easy just to kill Nazis faster.

I fully support playing this game on easy to kill Nazis. How do you do with games that have no difficulty setting?

Bruceski posted:

The worst are the fanboys who will insist that the game is flawless and perfectly balanced and everything is your fault, not a design issue.

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright

Lazyfire posted:

The worst are the fanboys who will insist that the game is flawless and perfectly balanced and everything is your fault, not a design issue.

I had a habit of playing every Doom-related game on its version of Ultra-Violence. Doom, Hexen, Heretic, Quake 2, Doom 3, Doom 4.

Wolf:TNO broke that habit. MachineGames is great but far from flawless.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

I had a habit of playing every Doom-related game on its version of Ultra-Violence. Doom, Hexen, Heretic, Quake 2, Doom 3, Doom 4.

Wolf:TNO broke that habit. MachineGames is great but far from flawless.

Oh, by no means was I suggesting anyone was saying TNO or TNC were flawless. TNC has a number of issues that I'm not even going to try to pretend aren't there, from the low weapon count to the lovely hit indication to the sometimes-it-works-sometimes-it-doesn't auto pickup of ammo and armor to the annoying to deal with robots. That's before we get into limited control options (GIVE ME A HATCHET THROW BUTTON!) and the fact that the game straight got broke by the first patch. TNC is a pretty great game despite the flaws and short comings, something I hope comes through in the videos and commentary.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
I’m looking forward to the upcoming war crimes meat grinder that is the shotgun in the easy play through! :godwin:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I have no idea why, but I completely forgot the flow of the game and for some reason was convinced we were going to New York after Section F revisited. Don't ask me why, I think it was knowing Grace had a pep talk coming that got me in that mindset.

This episode introduces us to Wyatt's character development trigger. Turns out getting high as balls allows you to pierce the veil that Set and his crew always wanted to. I can see Set getting super high and designing something so beautiful/terrible God weeps, but luckily he won't and Wyatt just sort of sits around trying to figure out poo poo Max already knows.

The normal/easy dichotomy is on full display here. I make a ton of mistakes that would have gotten me flattened in the main playthrough, but because enemies deal less damage and aim terribly in easy I can more or less shrug it off. Here's something I didn't see coming, though: an actual death in easy mode. Granted, it was environmental, but still. Even on easy the loving Attack C3P0s are atrocious. They warp around way too much and are far too mobile for enemies in this game. The general inaccuracy of the weapons and their ineffectiveness against armored opponents early in the game means that they just sort of glide around taking a few hits while dealing out stupid amounts of laser damage no matter the difficulty. They are clearly not a real problem based on how I dispatch them here, but seriously, they aren't a fun enemy to fight no matter the level you play on.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I didn't play the previous game but did Wyatt always talk like that or has the LSD somehow made him start using those stereotypical hippy phrases?
It's interesting seeing how Wyatt and Fergus cope with the trauma they've been through. Fergus has his robot arm doing crazy stuff presumably guided by subconscious self-loathing, and well, Wyatt is just tripping balls to escape reality and the responsibility that's been dropped on him. Although it's ironic because up until he got on the drugs he has shown a few flashes of the ability to lead that everyone was hoping for of him.

The only thing is, Fergus' situation seems to be resolving itself through a series of hilarious sitcom-like events, whereas I can see Wyatt's inevitable intervention being pretty heavy. I hope it doesn't bring the second half of the game down too much, because the first half is so goddamn melodramatic that I feel like the second part really needs to be as over the top as it can just to balance things out.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I forgot how cringe BJ's rambling to Caroline about wings and glory was.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Could have been worse. Just think of the product placement.

"OK Caroline. This Red Bull is for you. Take your wings back."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

There's not a lot to say about the differences between Fergus and Wyatt here. No cutscenes that would involve either character and limited use of the Wyatt-gun means this one plays out just like it did with Fergus, save for the fact that I'm like 100 times more distracted by everything for some reason.

I think there's a conversation to be had about how cringe inducing BJ's "I'm dying, Caroline." narration can be. Even still, it sets up the twist in the story, and tone, of the game nicely. You can't help but see BJ as a man on his last legs, soldiering on simply because that's what he knows how to do, knowing that he doesn't have long left no matter what he does. Then you get to the crazy plot twist and BJ's literally a new man and the melancholy goes out the window and for the first time in either TNO or TNC you feel like characters are able to have fun and be happy and have optimism that things will get better/less Nazified. It's a cool shift and I think based on a number of people who mentioned the tone of the early game as a turn off one that the franchise was going to take eventually. I wonder how long that will last, though. Imagine how terribly depressing they could make the next game in light of things seeming to get better for BJ/the Resistance in general.

• Locked thread