Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Billzasilver posted:

Hi. I don’t know much about undertale . Are there any good video lps of it? I especially like funny lps, group commentators, or completionists.

I enjoyed seeing Northernlion go through it. It's blind and his play through is wholly representative of the first time player's, with no particularly egregious errors on his part.

The earliest section of the game is by far the worst though, so stick through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Honestly if you have a favorite LP'er then there's a slightly good chance they streamed Undertale at some point. I know tietuesday did one, slowbeef did one, voidburger, etc. If you enjoy any of their stuff then check out their streams.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Risk Legacy looks pretty cool, but I have no one to play with, don't know how to play, and I'm not really willing to put in the apparently massive amounts of time to go through several games of it. Is there an LP out there I can go through, preferably video and preferably condensed?

I remember Fat Samurai did an SSLP thread and it was like a rotation of players who volunteered, but it went out because life caught up with them and they had to put it on indefinite hiatus. Other than that, I don't know of any other attempts, video or otherwise.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I got a hankering for really fun competent playthroughs of shooters. Any recommendations out there?

For 'competent' I mean that the player is genuinely good at the game and basically knows it all, and they're not playing it on "bullet sponge difficulty so my gameplay consists of hiding in a corner and waiting and shooting a bunch of times" if that makes any sense.

I've already watched LPs of every Max Payne game, which was pretty good.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

bewilderment posted:

I got a hankering for really fun competent playthroughs of shooters. Any recommendations out there?
How about the Uncharted LPs by Chip Cheezum? Those playthroughs showed me and probably many others that even though Uncharted is technically a cover shooter, it's much more fun when you play it like a flashy action hero instead. He also makes the whole thing look completely effortless despite playing on Hard.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Doc Morbid posted:

How about the Uncharted LPs by Chip Cheezum? Those playthroughs showed me and probably many others that even though Uncharted is technically a cover shooter, it's much more fun when you play it like a flashy action hero instead. He also makes the whole thing look completely effortless despite playing on Hard.

Oh yeah, already watched all of those. I was looking for more of an FPS thing but nothing really wrong with third-person. Assume that I've watched people that are recently SA-LP-famous whatever that means.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Fleve's LP of Call of Juarez Gunslinger from a few years back is good providing you like your LPer's voice on the Captain Jean Luc Picard scale of things.
https://lparchive.org/Call-of-Juarez-Gunslinger/

(As an aside I hope he's alright, he disappeared during his Marlow Briggs LP and doesn't appear to have uploaded anything since.)

And in case you're not already following alexeythegreat's LPs, his recent LP of Doom 2016 is good stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH3d-4HVlVU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

bewilderment posted:

Anything by Lazyfire. His Red Faction and Wolfenstein LPs are my favourite. Republic Commando was good too. Oh his FEAR LPs are rad.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

I'm trying to find the episode where Shogo Akuji gets buried alive because that cutscene is probably hilarious with these mutants involved.

Hey, just wanted to touch on this real quick. If you weren't able to find the episode at all, it may have been because that episode was actually blocked due to copyright (the ever persistent problem of having The Final Countdown in nearly every episode...). You weren't the first person to bring this up this weekend, so I've reuploaded the video with a slight edit to work around it. You can find it here.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Kaubocks posted:

Hey, just wanted to touch on this real quick. If you weren't able to find the episode at all, it may have been because that episode was actually blocked due to copyright (the ever persistent problem of having The Final Countdown in nearly every episode...). You weren't the first person to bring this up this weekend, so I've reuploaded the video with a slight edit to work around it. You can find it here.

Please, tell me you have sung it yourself like the last time :allears:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

bewilderment posted:

Oh yeah, already watched all of those. I was looking for more of an FPS thing but nothing really wrong with third-person. Assume that I've watched people that are recently SA-LP-famous whatever that means.

I remember the Bulletstorm LP in the Archive being really fun.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Please, tell me you have sung it yourself like the last time :allears:

nothing that special this time, I'm afraid! this one had actually been blocked for a while but I'd been sitting on it for so long trying to think of what new joke I could use to edit around it since I didn't really want to repeat myself... but that said the content I'd have to dub audio over isn't really anything noteworthy, so I couldn't think of anything funny for it. but since a non-zero amount of people suddenly started asking about it I got off my rear end and just sped up that section and slapped a midi over it, just to get it done.

...until the inevitable next copyright block rolls around...

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Blind Sally posted:

Anything by Lazyfire. His Red Faction and Wolfenstein LPs are my favourite. Republic Commando was good too. Oh his FEAR LPs are rad.
Seconding. I can't be arsed to play the campaigns in Call of Duty but Lazy has me covered!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

I’d add Pythonicus to that too. There’s a lot of crossover between him and Lazyfire, and his stuff makes good addendums to Lazyfire’s.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Pythonicus is also currently suffering through Destiny for our amusement too, it's pretty great.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Funny that Crow and Sally were recommending my LPs when my first thought was them playing pretty much everything in the Killzone franchise as it was one of the series I never ended up playing myself and so was a pretty interesting experience for me.

Alexeythegreat is doing Quake 4 right now and while he's only a few episodes in he's off to a solid start and plans on hitting Doom 3 and the OG Prey as a sort of theme trilogy (disappointing id engine games). Quake 4 itself is fun to watch because of when it came out. You can see some of the old shooter conventions dying with the game and some new ones starting to rise up in their place if you watch carefully.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Seconding. I can't be arsed to play the campaigns in Call of Duty but Lazy has me covered!

I'm never going to cover WWII because I didn't buy it. I really need to find time to turn on my PS4 and play IW with the crew again.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Well, good news for anyone who, for some reason, actually likes watching the Killzone franchise:

there is a non-zero chance that there will be a new Killzone LP in the future

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

Well, good news for anyone who, for some reason, actually likes watching the Killzone franchise:

there is a non-zero chance that there will be a new Killzone LP in the future

___:ssh:____

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Kaubocks posted:

nothing that special this time, I'm afraid! this one had actually been blocked for a while but I'd been sitting on it for so long trying to think of what new joke I could use to edit around it since I didn't really want to repeat myself... but that said the content I'd have to dub audio over isn't really anything noteworthy, so I couldn't think of anything funny for it. but since a non-zero amount of people suddenly started asking about it I got off my rear end and just sped up that section and slapped a midi over it, just to get it done.

...until the inevitable next copyright block rolls around...

It's a real shame what has happened and somehow still is happening to your LP of this game. This is art, damnit, and should be preserved for future generations. But as long as you guys keep making videos with your measured blend of sanity and professionalism, I'm-

What? You guys have a new LP? And it's... oh god

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TheDarkFlame posted:

What? You guys have a new LP? And it's... oh god

Oh yeah, speaking of, anyone after a good FPS LP, make sure you watch Kaubocks and Panzer's Half-Life

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
There are a few goon lps of Yakuza 1 and 2, but I can't find any of the more recent ones that haven't been abandoned since July. Does anybody have recs for decent non-goon lps of Kiwami or 0?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

NiftyBottle posted:

There are a few goon lps of Yakuza 1 and 2, but I can't find any of the more recent ones that haven't been abandoned since July. Does anybody have recs for decent non-goon lps of Kiwami or 0?

TieTuesday has got a fair portion of Yakuza 0 on his youtube channel. I don't know if it's finished or not, I'm only up to part 5 (of 6 posted). If you don't mind it being a stream, it's pretty good. Tie is clearly in the streaming angle, but he's also decent.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TieTuesdaySA/videos

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

NiftyBottle posted:

Hey, um... Are you patient enough to wait a couple months? Asking for a friend.

If not, Game Society Pimps is currently doing a runthrough of 0. They're the guys that do Beer and Board Games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

NiftyBottle posted:

Superbestfriends has a finished run of 0 piloted by pat who's a Yakuza fan.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Tae posted:

Superbestfriends has a finished run of 0 piloted by pat who's a Yakuza fan.

Sadly the latter half devolves into Matt being bored and disinterested, which takes a lot of the fun out of it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

VolticSurge posted:

Sadly Matt takes a lot of the fun out of it.

The cardinal truth of SBF.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Giant Bomb's Yakuza 0 run started out pretty great, but like Matt of SBF, Dan gets bored of the whole thing about halfway through. That wouldn't be as much of a problem if he wasn't the guy playing the game, but since he was the one holding the controller he'd just start button-mashing and then complain about the combat mechanics when he'd get his rear end kicked.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
edit: eh nvm, it could be taken as shilling

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 6, 2018

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
is there a watchable lp of subnautica somewhere? without the usual scarecam idiot youtube personality crap?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Conundrum: I loved Geop's Dark Souls LP. It added a lot of plot exposition without which the game would no doubt have appeared half-finished and bare. Now I've taken a gander or two at various Dark Souls 2+ et cetera whatevers and find them by comparison half-finished and bare. In fact I'm pretty sure these games actually suck rear end. Do y'all have some LP recommendations that'll prove otherwise?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Karate Bastard posted:

Conundrum: I loved Geop's Dark Souls LP. It added a lot of plot exposition without which the game would no doubt have appeared half-finished and bare. Now I've taken a gander or two at various Dark Souls 2+ et cetera whatevers and find them by comparison half-finished and bare. In fact I'm pretty sure these games actually suck rear end. Do y'all have some LP recommendations that'll prove otherwise?
It kinda depends on what you deemed as bare or suck rear end; I mean Iggy's LP of Dark Souls 2 on the archives I felt was pretty thorough and good but I also quite liked Volume Control's approach as well: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3713353 but it's all different strokes for different folks. Or you could just watch Geop's LP of Dark Souls 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QXRLpYkXik

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Neat! Geop's one petered out didn't it? But I'll have a watch of those other two, thanks!

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Karate Bastard posted:

Neat! Geop's one petered out didn't it? But I'll have a watch of those other two, thanks!

He's been making noise on twitter that he's recording it again.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Bozart posted:

is there a watchable lp of subnautica somewhere? without the usual scarecam idiot youtube personality crap?

Yep, Hadrian has been running it lately. He's pretty chill and informative.

edit for more ducks

xoFcitcrA fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 9, 2018

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MillennialVulcan posted:

He's been making noise on twitter that he's recording it again.

I think his main problem is trying to fit recording into four people's schedules.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
I have been gone a long time. What's the general top 10 must see LP's of all time? Have they changed much from the initial thread post?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I have been gone a long time. What's the general top 10 must see LP's of all time? Have they changed much from the initial thread post?

Yes and no. Styles vary by the LPer, but in general - you're going to find the same medley of people who love (or hate) the game they're playing so much that they want to show it off. If anything styles have gotten refined - more informative, more laidback, more of everything.

Depending on what you like, the best LPs (imo) are...

Saints Row 2 by Kaubocks and Panzer Skank - The funniest thing you will ever see. Pretty much the peak of drunken silly shenanigans with a silly game.

Deus Ex by Bobbin Threadbare - A comprehensive video LP where Bobbin not just shows off just about everything in Deus Ex, he gives lectures at the end of every video that expands upon the themes Deus Ex talks about, from cyberpunk to sci-fi to freemasonry and other weird stuff. It's pretty dang professional!

Dark Souls by Geop and Vicas - The best blind LP. Geop's reactions to the game and skill with it is marvelous, and Vicas is really good at keeping him on track and being a good buddy.

Geneforge by POOL IS CLOSED - My favorite screenshot narrative LP, wherein POOL IS CLOSED writes fanfiction that's actually perfectly in line with the game's own writing and highlights all the stuff in it - and saves us the trouble of playing this intensely old-school game.

Drakengard by Dark Id: Brilliantly showcases a game you are never going to play, with hilarious commentary upon the marvelously hosed up proceedings within the game. If you like his style, the rest of his LPs are pretty good

SIREN by Egomaniac - A remastered version of his old LP, the gold-standard in subtitled LPs. It keeps the atmosphere spooky, it explains the game, it means I don't have to play Siren, ever, because it would scare me to death.

LISA The Painful by thevoiceofdog - Some of the best video editing I've ever seen, combined with a pitch-perfect black, bleak comedy game. I'm never going to play LISA but I appreciate this LP immensely.

XCOM: Enemy Within by Jade Star - An informative LP that's bent on teaching you the viewer how to get good at XCOM.

Winter Voices by Kingon w Bowl Cut, KGB by red mammoth and Xander77 - Two very different screenshot LPs, but both fantastic: they cover games you are never going to play, do them justice, and are a joy to read. Also, the KGB one is a bonus feelgood story where red mammoth burnt out on the LP and Xander77 stepped in to finish it, saving the day.

Unterwegs in Duesterburg by TheMcD, Dangan Ronpa by orenronen - The best translation LPs, full stop. Unterwegs is less bombastic than Dangan Ronpa (which infamously had tumblr folks flooding the forums because the paywall went up before the LP was done) but it's just as good if not better. Screenshot LPs, a masterclass in how to present a game in a foreign language to goons.

....and more! I could go on for ages, but long story short, go to the LP archive, look around. Guaranteed I've forgotten things, guaranteed there's stuff people like that I don't, but - LPs have never been better. :D

Dancer
May 23, 2011
All three LPs by Didja Redo are excellently written, really cute, generally hilarious, and sometimes kinda touching. I recommend Riviera to start with.

https://lparchive.org/author/Didja%20Redo

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Foul Ole Ron posted:

The OP could perhaps do with some updating...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Blind Sally posted:

The OP could perhaps do with some updating...

Agreed

I nominate Lazyfire's TNO/TNC and SubponticatePoster's ME series in the 'Solo Commentary' category and Gond in 'Comedic SSLPs'