Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Is there anything gained from doing all 3 with one person? I'm playing for the first time and planning on alternating, and then doing the opposite for each day on another playthrough. Am I better off doing two runs entirely with one person each or does it not really make a difference.

It just gives you more insight into Bea/Gregg's character and changes the last part of the game slightly. I think eventually you're going to have to wind up hanging out with one a bit more than the other (though I've never tried just alternating between the two each day). There are also a few optional hangouts with other characters but they don't count towards the completion of that specific day (except for one with Angus a little later on). Proximity, Wounds, and the aforementioned Angus hangout are all worth seeing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I'm going to be on break for two weeks in one week and I figured I'd pick up this game and play it during the holiday. If I plug 2-3 hours a day at it would I have time to finish it? Also, how tedious is the re-play when trying to unlock all the content? I'm not necessarily completionist, but I like what I've seen of the writing so I figure I'd want to try out all the given storylines, but I know that sort of stuff can often be a slog to get through.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So I'm going to be on break for two weeks in one week and I figured I'd pick up this game and play it during the holiday. If I plug 2-3 hours a day at it would I have time to finish it? Also, how tedious is the re-play when trying to unlock all the content? I'm not necessarily completionist, but I like what I've seen of the writing so I figure I'd want to try out all the given storylines, but I know that sort of stuff can often be a slog to get through.

My first play-through ran about ten hours and that was with me being pretty thorough. Should be plenty for you

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It takes maybe 7-9 hours to complete, I beat the entire game over the course of a week just playing it in the morning before work.

The optional content just mostly revolves around which friend you'd like to hang out with more since they each get four exclusive vignettes. Personally I haven't beaten NITW twice yet despite liking it immensely because I found the dream sequences and wandering through town to get kind of dull after awhile. If you can only play through it once then I would recommend Route Bea.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yea I wasn't sure about Bea because Gregg is the one that I feel like more people talked about, but I went with Bea because her relationship to Mae seemed more interesting and I'm glad I did. Still not done yet but I'm impressed with how... REAL some of the dialogue is. Especially fights. I was actively cringing through some of the dialogue (in a good way) in a way no game has ever made me react.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tender Bender posted:

Yea I wasn't sure about Bea because Gregg is the one that I feel like more people talked about, but I went with Bea because her relationship to Mae seemed more interesting and I'm glad I did. Still not done yet but I'm impressed with how... REAL some of the dialogue is. Especially fights. I was actively cringing through some of the dialogue (in a good way) in a way no game has ever made me react.

Gregg is more "fun" in a way that you can more easily post gifs of him and his whole CRIMES thing on forums and twitter and stuff. And he rulz. But Bea has a far more satisfying route in the game itself IMO

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bea just felt like the more natural route through the game as it was a bit more personal in nature (though on the Gregg route Wounds and Legends are pretty decent too).

Plus, the fact of the matter is that Bea and Angus clearly need Mae and Gregg respectively way more than Mae and Gregg need each other. I would also recommend doing some of the optional hangouts as well, particularly Lori, Germ and Angus.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 11, 2018

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

It takes maybe 7-9 hours to complete, I beat the entire game over the course of a week just playing it in the morning before work.

The optional content just mostly revolves around which friend you'd like to hang out with more since they each get four exclusive vignettes. Personally I haven't beaten NITW twice yet despite liking it immensely because I found the dream sequences and wandering through town to get kind of dull after awhile. If you can only play through it once then I would recommend Route Bea.

Cool. I'll go with what feels right at the time as I usually do. If ever I get curious I'll try it again or just look poo poo up via the magic of the internet.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Do you see the poetry club in both paths? Because holy poo poo if not then everyone should go Bea

And yeah I haven't hung with Angus, but Lori and Germ are both great. You've gotta poke around the town a bit to find them (not sure if they're there right away) but definitely talk to them every day.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Do you see the poetry club in both paths? Because holy poo poo if not then everyone should go Bea

And yeah I haven't hung with Angus, but Lori and Germ are both great. You've gotta poke around the town a bit to find them (not sure if they're there right away) but definitely talk to them every day.

Poetry Club is Bea only. The Angus hangout happens late in the game when you're hunting for clues about the Ghost and is the only non-Gregg/Bea hangout that actually counts towards plot advancement (and you can only do two of them before you get locked into the endgame so I'd recommend Bea and Angus).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 12, 2018

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Wait, I saw the poetry club (in the library where Selmers does the really good anti capitalist poem right?) but I'm pretty sure I hung out with Gregg every chance I got. I don't remember having any choice about going to the library with Bea, so I think it's part of the main story as like, the initial research into the ghost poo poo. Then you get to pick two of the three to investigate specific stuff with, historical society with Gregg, old mountains with Angus and graveyard with Bea.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Wait, I saw the poetry club (in the library where Selmers does the really good anti capitalist poem right?) but I'm pretty sure I hung out with Gregg every chance I got. I don't remember having any choice about going to the library with Bea, so I think it's part of the main story as like, the initial research into the ghost poo poo. Then you get to pick two of the three to investigate specific stuff with, historical society with Gregg, old mountains with Angus and graveyard with Bea.

I've done a full Gregg route and I'm pretty sure you can only go to the library with Bea (though that particular trip might be mandatory regardless of your path, I forget). I know Selmers will only be there if you've been talking to her regularly at least.

I kinda wish they'd done more with Lori and Germ to be honest, it might have been interesting to see their reactions to Mae's confession towards the end.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 12, 2018

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Larryb posted:

I've done a full Gregg route and I'm pretty sure you can only go to the library with Bea (though that particular trip might be mandatory regardless of your path, I forget). I know Selmers will only be there if you've been talking to her regularly at least.

Yeah, it was with Bea. I just think you see that scene regardless of who you've been hanging out with.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
Poetry club is on the main path, but you have to listen to Selmers' poems before in order to be able to stay and listen. There are three mutually exclusive Bea/Gregg hangouts, then two main story hangouts (Harfest, library), one of the three investigations, final Bea/Gregg hangout depending on who you went twice with, and then second investigation leading into the endgame.

Also go smash lightbulbs with Gregg every chance you get, it does not advance the day. Also after meeting Rabies, go and sit on the bridge for a while every day.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I split my time between the two, but don't you get Poetry Club during the main story when you hit up the library with Bea? I don't think that's a hangout moment, is it?

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

Dias posted:

I split my time between the two, but don't you get Poetry Club during the main story when you hit up the library with Bea? I don't think that's a hangout moment, is it?

Well it's an evening activity. It gets its own title card and everything.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The library happens with Bea regardless of everything else you do in the game, I believe the only difference with the poetry club is whether or not Selmers shows based on you listening to her poems.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I've never tried this but if you split your time between the two of them (that is, hang with Bea one day, Gregg the next then repeat for the rest of the game) which ending does the game wind up defaulting to (I assume whichever one came first in the rotation)?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Larryb posted:

I've never tried this but if you split your time between the two of them (that is, hang with Bea one day, Gregg the next then repeat for the rest of the game) which ending does the game wind up defaulting to (I assume whichever one came first in the rotation)?

It goes with the character you spent more time with. There's 3 hangout choices in the game so you can't split them evenly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

repiv posted:

It goes with the character you spent more time with. There's 3 hangout choices in the game so you can't split them evenly.

That's about what I figured. I'd also recommend checking out the two supplemental games included with the Weird Autumn edition. Longest Night is basically just a short connect the dots style minigame with commentary from Mae and the crew but Lost Constellation is almost a full-fledged game in and of itself. Both are directly referenced in NitW.

As far as I can tell, chronologically it seems to go like this:

Lost Constellation (it's framed as a story Mae's grandfather told her as a kitten)

Longest Night (at the end it's revealed to be a dream Mae had presumably right before she left college)

Night in the Woods

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 12, 2018

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think the implication is that Longest Night "takes place" while Mae is at college.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think the implication is that Longest Night "takes place" while Mae is at college.

Ah, she mentions something about calling home at the end so I wasn't sure. That'd make sense then.

If not a direct sequel I wouldn't mind seeing other games set in the NitW universe, it seems like there's still a bit more stuff they could explore. You could probably make a decent animated miniseries/movie out of this too if you wanted. At the very least I'd like to see another project from the same developers even if it's something unrelated.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 12, 2018

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Started Friday. It's Tuesday night and I've pretty much finished my second run-through with Gregg (at [spoiler]the hole at the center of everything[spoiler], which is so text heavy I don't know how much I feel like sitting through just yet). Great great game. The character's are all good but I particularly like Lori and her fascination with all things horror movies. It just goes to show how well-fleshed out even the minor characters are in this game.

By the way, I'm missing only one piece of concept art, #18, any idea how to get that one?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

So if I do poo poo like hang out with this fella in his sewer salvage thing or hang out with Mae's mom on her adventure it doesn't advance the day and I can still do some Bea/Gregg stuff later? I just really don't wanna miss main character story beats so i've been skittish about other poo poo that sounds like it advances the plot past the point of no return.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Commissar Ken posted:

So if I do poo poo like hang out with this fella in his sewer salvage thing or hang out with Mae's mom on her adventure it doesn't advance the day and I can still do some Bea/Gregg stuff later? I just really don't wanna miss main character story beats so i've been skittish about other poo poo that sounds like it advances the plot past the point of no return.

Bea and Gregg hangouts are the only ones that advance the day

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

So does the Angus hangout later in the game but that's the only non-Bea/Gregg one that counts.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

kidcoelacanth posted:

Larryb posted:

So does the Angus hangout later in the game but that's the only non-Bea/Gregg one that counts.

Much obliged.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Commissar Ken posted:

Much obliged.

The exception is Gregg and the lightbulbs. Take him up on Smashing lightbulbs. It's fun and doesn't advance the day.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So I finished this and it looks like on Switch at least it deletes your save? My only option is new game now. Not that there's any real reason to stick around but going through this thread it sounds like there were a few things I missed in the epilogue, and I kinda wanted to thumb through the journal again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

So I finished this and it looks like on Switch at least it deletes your save? My only option is new game now. Not that there's any real reason to stick around but going through this thread it sounds like there were a few things I missed in the epilogue, and I kinda wanted to thumb through the journal again.

No, it does that for every version. Only way to see the stuff you missed is to play through the whole game again, which is kind of stupid I'll admit.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Larryb posted:

No, it does that for every version. Only way to see the stuff you missed is to play through the whole game again, which is kind of stupid I'll admit.

yeah if i have any complaints about this game its that it has a deliberately slow pace and is clunky in terms of revisiting content. i want to do another playthrough to see what i missed but i did bea the first time and i dont want to invest another eight hours of jumping just to fill in the gaps

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

boner confessor posted:

yeah if i have any complaints about this game its that it has a deliberately slow pace and is clunky in terms of revisiting content. i want to do another playthrough to see what i missed but i did bea the first time and i dont want to invest another eight hours of jumping just to fill in the gaps

It might have been nice if it unlocked like a chapter select or something after finishing the game once so you don't have to replay the entire story just to see one or two new things.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

It might have been nice if it unlocked like a chapter select or something after finishing the game once so you don't have to replay the entire story just to see one or two new things.

I think something like that might undermine the narrative aspect of the game. The individual choices color the story.

Also, it was fun to pick new dialogue on the replays.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I would've liked an unlockable access to the mini-games. Just an option where you can play Demontower, at any one point or even bass, bulb-bash, feeding Gregg, and stabbing Gregg just to get high-scores. Fortunately it's easy enough to get to the point where you can access demontower, but you do have to go through nearly the whole game to get all the bass songs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I haven't replayed the game just because the early town/dream sections are so tedious. Wouldn't mind a chapter select.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Dream sequences aren't bad. There's jumping but you're guided pretty quickly to the musicians. Everything pre-Harfest though... if you've done it once thoroughly it can get to be a bit much.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Dream sequences aren't bad. There's jumping but you're guided pretty quickly to the musicians. Everything pre-Harfest though... if you've done it once thoroughly it can get to be a bit much.

While if you don't know what you're doing it can be pretty easy to get lost the dreams were ok for the most part, I just wish there was a bit more variety to them (like in the first one where you were smashing stuff up with a bat or the last one where you met CatGod) as the majority of the ones in between were pretty much exactly the same only with increasingly more complex layouts.

All the same, they're probably my least favorite part of the game to be honest (though they are pretty neat visually), some of the minigames on the Gregg path are up there as well.

Also, while a chapter select might have defeated the point it might have been nice at least if they gave you the option to play some of the minigames again from the title screen (such as Demontower and the Gregg knife fight).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 23, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I don't get it, the third panel is the actual game though??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
For it to have been a true Telltale story, the death of Bea's mother would have been a direct consequence of one of Mae's lovely decisions.