Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
Use fireseeds whenever possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Don't bother spending a fireseed. Just go there and kick their asses. Approach

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
We have a potential catastrophic explosion, and we wish to use it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Oh cool this is actually an option

Special items - use em or lose em!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I just got up to this book and man, it can really kick you in the balls. Am I allowed to discuss something we have passed in this readthrough but didn't see?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Two spindly fellows peacefully enjoying a sauna and we're about to bomb them and/or stab them with a sword. I don't see how we're the heroes in this scenario. :catbert:

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

I just got up to this book and man, it can really kick you in the balls. Am I allowed to discuss something we have passed in this readthrough but didn't see?
There's always the possibility we die and have to revise a decision or two, but if you make sure it is far enough in the past it's probably okay.

nelson fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 11, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Yeah, there's no problem with that at all.

nelson posted:

Two spindly fellows peacefully enjoying a sauna and we're about to bomb them and/or stab them with a sword. I don't see how we're the heroes in this scenario. :catbert:
You mean like how we broke into that miner's cabin and murdered him? Or those innocent ice barbarians we killed back in book three (where we also took a child hostage)? Or that time we cheated at an archery contest? Or all the stuff we've stolen? Lone Wolf is often not very heroic.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I'm talking about going into the bowyer's shop, having him try to shoot you with the silver bow then permanently losing it. I did not see that coming.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Fire(seed) in the hole!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Fireseed! Make marsh gas go boom!
How could this possibly go wrong?

The Jungle of Horrors posted:

You hurl the Fireseed and it strikes the jagged rock directly in front of the hissing swamp-dwellers. In the next instant the swamp, the creatures, and the causeway itself are transformed into a searing ball of flame as the exploding Fireseed ignites the inflammable cloud of gas. The blast badly burns your face and hands and scorches your tunic—lose 12 ENDURANCE points.

Endurance: 25/37.

Your body has shielded Paido from the blast, and he has escaped serious injury. He tends your raw, blistered face and bandages your hands with strips of cloth torn from his undershirt. Your injuries are severe: they reduce your COMBAT SKILL by 5 points for the duration of this adventure and permanently reduce your score by 3 points in future adventures.

Combat Skill: 29 (16).
Healing: +1 EP (26/37).
Do we continue to the south or head west?

Did someone say something about this book being unusually punishing? Although honestly I think we all knew that was a bad idea. Our effective combat skill will increase by two points to 31 at the end of this book, but our base combat skill without any of our bonuses or penalties will remain at 16 until we do something else to change it (such as completing another lore circle).

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Haha wow what a dickmove book.

Go west.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Did someone say something about this book being unusually punishing? Although honestly I think we all knew that was a bad idea. Our effective combat skill will increase by two points to 31 at the end of this book, but our base combat skill without any of our bonuses or penalties will remain at 16 until we do something else to change it (such as completing another lore circle).
There is also a part in the beginning of the book where the special item bow can be destroyed.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Helios Grime posted:

Haha wow what a dickmove book.
It was Karma.

West.

nelson fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 11, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Hey, at least those creatures are dead. ;) West

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
West.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
South simply because no one has voted for it yet.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
oh my goodness :ohdear:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Lmao so much for Nexus.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Jackard posted:

Lmao so much for Nexus.

It would have protected us! You know, if we hadn't chosen to explode the swamp.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Imagine Paido telling the story about that time he nearly died because a kai master tried to nuke a forest.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 11, 2018

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Materant posted:

It would have protected us! You know, if we hadn't chosen to explode the swamp.
Would have, should have. It had ONE job!!

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
We had to destroy the Danarg in order to save it.

West

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mikl posted:

South simply because no one has voted for it yet.
What do you think's more likely, a reward for perseverance or just more punishment?

The causeway comes to an abrupt halt, its jagged edge overhanging a sprawling tangle of reeds, marsh thistles, and black moss. The pools of dark water are few, but the hazards are much greater than before.

‘Those patches,’ says Paido, pointing across the wild landscape, ‘are quicksands.’ You stare at myriad tan-coloured patches where the weeds do not grow.

Healing: +1 EP (27/37).
Do we cross the quicksand or turn back and go west?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Throw a fireseed at the quicksand.

Don't change a winning formula!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Kanthulhu posted:

West is best

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Go West. Avoid quicksand! Be indecisive!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

This is too sad. Stride into the quicksand and end yourself like Artax.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 12, 2018

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Psh, quicksand. How bad could it be?

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Exploding ourselves was a very dumb move.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Kanthulhu posted:

Exploding ourselves was a very dumb move.
Sown Wolf.

Prone Wolf.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Droned Wolf (please tell me that text included the word hellfire)

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Avoid quicksand. Pity we didn't kill ourselves with that Fireseed.

I do think it's a good thing that if you're really loving stupid, you can pay a permanent change to your character sheet that will stick with you until your life and quest, ends..

Comstar fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 12, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jackard posted:

This is too sad. Stride into the quicksand and end yourself like Artax.
Determined to see this path through, no matter how much the book hints to go another way.

Painfully slowly you inch your way across the bog, covering less than a mile in three hours. As the sun sets, you find yourselves in the middle of a thickening fog and decide to halt for the night and continue at dawn. Unfortunately, the Danarg quicksands shift and settle like the ebb and flow of the tide, and during the night, you are drawn into its depths to remain forever a prisoner of the bog.

Death Count: 10

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Or we could go west.

Gradually the causeway descends into the stinking mire, delivering you back to the ankle-deep ooze. A chilling howl drifts across the swamp from the north, and for a few fleeting seconds, all the scuttling, slithering, and other small noises cannot be heard.

You are hungry and must now eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points.

Healing: +1 EP (28/37).

You arrive at a mound where a tree bearing blood-red fruit overhangs a pool of crystal-clear water. You stop to rest and to dislodge the tiny leeches that are feasting on your legs.

Paido climbs the tree to scan the horizon. He carries with him a starguider, a homing device invented by the Elder Magi to enable their flying ships to navigate in the dark. It is sensitive to the vibrations given off by korlinium crystals. The spire of the Temple of Ohrido is solid korlinium, and the Elder Magi have set Paido’s starguider to home in on the vibrations emitted by the spire. By following the direction of the signals, it is hoped that you will be able to find the lost temple.

Whilst Paido is busy adjusting the starguider, you decide to investigate your surroundings.

Healing: +1 EP (29/37).
Shall we examine the red fruit or the pool of water, or just sit quietly and wait for Paido?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Examine the red fruit. It might be pure uncut laumspur that heals 12 Enduhahaha no it's almost certainly a deadly poison.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
A clear pool of water in a bog? :raise:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Mikl posted:

A clear pool of water in a bog? :raise:

That water is so clear, it must have magical healing properties. :downs:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
This place is making me paranoid. Wait for Paido.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Check the red fruit. It's probably a Tomeato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

We have a fruit and wish to use it.