Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The best comic book movie is obviously Castle of Cagliostro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The best comic book movie is obviously Dragon Ball: Battle of Gods

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A few of the One Piece movies are good stuff. High adventure on the open sea with a boy made of rubber.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Augus posted:

The best comic book movie is obviously Castle of Cagliostro

For years I thought Highlander was a comic book movie because it FELT like one. It's so poorly cast I figured, oh, they must have wanted people who looked like the comic book characters and didn't care if they could talk like human beings.

I felt real dumb when I found out the truth.

Anyway everyone knows the best comic book movie is Spawn.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which was the one that was immediately declared dead after the first film? The Dark Universe?

Yup. With the Mummy with the Tom Cruise.

They had a super special 'Dark Universe' rotating Universal.logo and everything. They /really/ wanted it to be a thing the poor dears :ohdear:

e: all you poor nerds who have never seen Darkman. :/

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Darkman is the greatest piece of art ever created, but is not a comic book film officially, Raimi couldn't get the rights to The Shadow I gather and so was like "gently caress you, I'll make my own".

If we're talking shared universes, there's the history of stuff like the Universal Monster pictures such as House of Frankenstein, and the Godzilla series, but they weren't pre-planned in the way we consider shared universes now.

I'm gonna agree with everyone else that Dark Universe is probably the funniest failure, why they hired Alex Kurtzman to kick that thing off is baffling. Why they think turning horror films into super-hero films is a good idea is also strange, I swear they can make a whole bunch of films about their Monster Back-Catalogue for a tenth of a blockbuster budget and reap a tidy profit, but maybe that's not so impressive to shareholders.

Perhaps they'll change their tune after IT, a 15/R rated monster clown film that made more in its opening weekend than Spider-Man: Homecoming did.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

The one I'm most disappointed never happened actually goes all the way back to 1997, when MGM wanted to produce a spin-off from Tomorrow Never Dies which was going to focus on Colonel Wai Lin and was going to be a big Hollywood vehicle for Michelle Yeoh.

MGM said the same thing about Halle Berry in Die Another Day. I doubt any of it was actually serious.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

MGM said the same thing about Halle Berry in Die Another Day. I doubt any of it was actually serious.

There's a lot of people waiting it hitch their wagon to any horse that will run.

The allure of a cinematic universe is probably more about the job security of the people involved than their potential at the box office.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Karloff posted:

Darkman is the greatest piece of art ever created, but is not a comic book film officially, Raimi couldn't get the rights to The Shadow I gather and so was like "gently caress you, I'll make my own".

The apotheosis of Darkman.

quote:

I'm gonna agree with everyone else that Dark Universe is probably the funniest failure, why they hired Alex Kurtzman to kick that thing off is baffling. Why they think turning horror films into super-hero films is a good idea is also strange, I swear they can make a whole bunch of films about their Monster Back-Catalogue for a tenth of a blockbuster budget and reap a tidy profit, but maybe that's not so impressive to shareholders.

How about the "cast photo" with Crowe, Cruise, Depp, Bardem and Boutella which it later turned out was mostly assembled via Photoshop and they were never actually all together (I'm pretty sure Bardem for one was never actually officially signed on with them).

Kibayasu posted:

I think they were more serious with Halle Berry, since they introduced the seeds of a supporting cast for her (Michael Madsen as DAMIAN FALCO) but she either declined to proceed with it because she wanted to do Catwoman, or it was called off because she did Catwoman.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Karloff posted:

The film kicking off this derail us Mystery Men. Darkman counts. :colbert:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
What was bizarre to me is how unsuited The Mummy was as a film designed to set off a series or FILM UNIVERSE (if you use stupid buzzwords). Like, if they went more heavy on the adventure aspect I could see doing a bunch of that period horror stuff with a central adventurer to unify it -- a lot of old horror had a character like that, whether it was serious horror or more of an action thing. Tom Cruise could have gone off to be the Texan guy in Dracula, and to be one of the people who visits Frankenstein's castle in Frankenstein, etc. But instead he's turned into a weird mummy-themed superhero? Where exactly would that lead to? What did they even think they could they do with that character?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Double post but if you haven't seen The Mummy you really need to. I was explaining to my friends and I was like:

"So halfway through the film a Black Ops Mummy Capture SWAT team turn up and they catch the mummyess and shanghai Tom Cruse into American Torchwood and them Russel Crowe is all ' Hi! My name is Dr. Jekyll and me and my boys fight vampires and werewolves and poo poo and oh no! I'm Mr Hyde now!"

So immortal demigod Tom Cruise is fighting with Mr. Hyde in American Torchwood and this film is called The Mummy and has a Mummy in it.."

e: thanks Corn! It's not an official double posy anymore and now Looks like a flowing conversation! Awesome! :)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Brenden Fraser movies were the only recent things people even remotely gave a poo poo about when it came to the old Universal monsters. That’s the only reason.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember the Van Helsing movie?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nope.

Like legit, I don’t.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have never seen it, but I really distinctly remember thinking that it was meant to be a sequel to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie for a long time. :D

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i'm very glad someone linked this before the conversation got lost

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
The best thing to come from the Tom Cruise Mummy movie was the goddamn video game Wayforward made out of it, because it's basically just a Super Metroid/Castlevania-style exploratory platformer with guns.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kibayasu posted:

The Brenden Fraser movies were the only recent things people even remotely gave a poo poo about when it came to the old Universal monsters. That’s the only reason.

But it's not a fun adventure like those movies; it's drab and grey and boring as gently caress.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I adore the Brendan Fraser Mummy movie. Felt like a fun Indiana Jones spin-off. Two was alright too but felt like a rehash of one and Evelyn during into a martial art ninja out of the blue was all kinds of the right dumb nonsense I could get in to.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

I Before E posted:

So is anyone else gonna admit Mystery Men is the best comic book movie... or do I eat this sandwich?

Am I the only person on earth who does not like Mystery Men?
The answer is Super or Blade btw.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sarcopenia posted:

Am I the only person on earth who does not like Mystery Men?
The answer is Super or Blade btw.

I don't think I've watched the whole thing through even once. It was just so offputting.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How about Abar: The First Black Superman?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember the Van Helsing movie?

I remember seeing it, but I don't remember it

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think I've watched the whole thing through even once. It was just so offputting.

Thank you. :kiddo:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sarcopenia posted:

Thank you. :kiddo:

Anytime! :shobon:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I didn't know I needed this in my life.
"I'm going home to my wifemakelovenotwar"
:h:

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

KayTee posted:

The film kicking off this derail us Mystery Men. Darkman counts. :colbert:

I thought Mystery Men came from a comic itself though? Didn't it come from Flaming Carrot?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sarcopenia posted:

I didn't know I needed this in my life.
"I'm going home to my wifemakelovenotwar"

You know that one woman at the start who says, "GET YOUR BLACK HANDS OFF OF ME!!!!1"?

Well, at the end, it is revealed that she is black and has been passing as white this entire time; apparently, it is because she has sickle cell anaemia, which seems medically less-than-accurate to me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kibayasu posted:

The Wolfman remake was okay mostly because Anthony Hopkins just wandered around laughing at people.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know that one woman at the start who says, "GET YOUR BLACK HANDS OFF OF ME!!!!1"?

Well, at the end, it is revealed that she is black and has been passing as white this entire time; apparently, it is because she has sickle cell anaemia, which seems medically less-than-accurate to me.
:pusheen:

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I think my favorite thing about the new Mummy was they apparently felt the need to include a scene of ISIS attacking a town and it's done in a goofy Whedon-esque action sequence, because if there's anything whimsical and fun it's thinking about a brutal real-world terrorist group blowing up a village.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Thompsons posted:

I think my favorite thing about the new Mummy was they apparently felt the need to include a scene of ISIS attacking a town and it's done in a goofy Whedon-esque action sequence, because if there's anything whimsical and fun it's thinking about a brutal real-world terrorist group blowing up a village.

That has to be BS, there's no way they would be so tone deaf

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

But it's not a fun adventure like those movies; it's drab and grey and boring as gently caress.

Doesn’t matter, name recognition

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tom Cruise is Box Office Dynamite!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DoubleCakes posted:

That has to be BS, there's no way they would be so tone deaf

It happened

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They could make a really good psychological thriller with Tom Cruise about why he's afraid to age. Like he could play a successful doctor or accountant or something who is relentlessly pursued by a 55-year-old man who takes care of himself but looks age-appropriate for a man born during the Eisenhower administration.

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016

Karloff posted:

Darkman is the greatest piece of art ever created

Darkman is both the greatest Sam Raimi film and the greatest film of all time. It's got Dr Giggles, Liam Taken, Fargo McDormand, the guy from ST: TNG's racist genie planet who demanded to have Tasha Yar as his bride, the guy who turns into a pigboy in Wes Craven's Swamp Thing, and small roles for the usual Raimi players.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

business hammocks posted:

They could make a really good psychological thriller with Tom Cruise about why he's afraid to age. Like he could play a successful doctor or accountant or something who is relentlessly pursued by a 55-year-old man who takes care of himself but looks age-appropriate for a man born during the Eisenhower administration.

M. Night Shyamalan should make that; it'd be a great addition to his Unbreakable Shared Cinematic Universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

M. Night Shyamalan should make that; it'd be a great addition to his Unbreakable Shared Cinematic Universe.

TOM CRUISE kneels before JAMES MCAVOY, looking up imploringly, his hands raised

TOM CRUISE: I'm young! I'm young like you! Tell me that I'm young like you!

Suddenly, he hears a voice from behind:

BRUCE WILLIS: You're old like me! Let's end this. Get rid of those fitted jeans and I'll show you how to shop for haggar slacks.

TOM CRUISE: Noooooooo!

• Locked thread