Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
Sorry if this has been posted before. I try to stay up with the thread but...

Anyway, the public library in the town I just moved to has a pretty decent comics section, including the Infinity Gauntlet omnibus, all seven pounds of it. I re-read Thanos Quest, The Inifinity Gauntlet main series and some of the Silver Surfer issues that led up to it. But I just couldn't make it through the collected tie-in issues because 90's art looks so much worse than I remember. Bad enough that I'm wondering how I could've possibly liked it as a kid.

However, there was this panel that I snapped a pic of with my cell phone.

How much of Asgard's annual budget goes to ceremonial eyepatches? How much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Bloodly posted:

I like 'talking shop' like this. Probably because it doesn't happen often.

That's why I like taskmaster so much. It's all business with him. He doesn't have a personal vendetta, he doesn't want to rule the world. He's a guy who (typically) punches Hawkeye because he's getting paid to do it. And we get to see a bit of the behind the scenes stuff when he's around. It's like all the business workings of The Guild of Calamitous Intent from Venture Brothers.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Is there a non-Marvel/DC series like that? With a cast that does super-heroics/villainous feats but they're all jobbers? Sounds like something that could be cool and it's a pretty obvious concept so there must be one or two titles like that around.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Heroes for Hire, maybe? In concept at least if not in execution.

Edit: Also the dumb Civil War started off with a team of C-Listers lead by Speedball trying to turn being superheroes into a Reality TV show. It was all worth it though as a complicated delivery mechanism for "The Penitent Puss"

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 11, 2018

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Samuringa posted:

Is there a non-Marvel/DC series like that? With a cast that does super-heroics/villainous feats but they're all jobbers? Sounds like something that could be cool and it's a pretty obvious concept so there must be one or two titles like that around.

I dunno about non-Marvel/DC. The first thing that came to mind, though, is Kurt Busiek's Power Company, a high-profile flop whose premise was "superhero team, but organized like a law firm."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Samuringa posted:

I've been thinking a lot about the weird day to day realities of a superhero universe lately and while it's not directly what you're looking for, Astro City is brilliant for foregoing all that standard punching villains stuff for personal stories of people impacted by it.

The flip side of that coin is Top 10 where the superheroes are all cops in a city where everyone is superpowered and it's just a job to them. Pest control in Top 10 is also a bit different:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goddamn Top 10 ruled so much

Glorified Scrivener posted:

90's art looks so much worse than I remember

I used to think Ron Lim was the best artist in the world :cripes:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Selachian posted:

I dunno about non-Marvel/DC. The first thing that came to mind, though, is Kurt Busiek's Power Company, a high-profile flop whose premise was "superhero team, but organized like a law firm."

Hey now, Power Company made it almost two years, that's a fair bit better than a shitload of other books.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Heroes for Hire, maybe? In concept at least if not in execution.

Edit: Also the dumb Civil War started off with a team of C-Listers lead by Speedball trying to turn being superheroes into a Reality TV show. It was all worth it though as a complicated delivery mechanism for "The Penitent Puss"

That was the New Warriors, though it had a few changes from the original lineup. I guess you could call them C-listers, but it's not like it wasn't mostly characters who had previously been in a long-running series.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Sorry if this has been posted before. I try to stay up with the thread but...

Anyway, the public library in the town I just moved to has a pretty decent comics section, including the Infinity Gauntlet omnibus, all seven pounds of it. I re-read Thanos Quest, The Inifinity Gauntlet main series and some of the Silver Surfer issues that led up to it. But I just couldn't make it through the collected tie-in issues because 90's art looks so much worse than I remember. Bad enough that I'm wondering how I could've possibly liked it as a kid.
What always gets me when I read 90's comics is how much I did notice all the flaws in the artwork at the time. I just took a long time to develop the right frame of reference and the right vocabulary for it. Like, I might read an 80's annual drawn by Art Adams and know it has better art than whatever rando they got to fill in for Andy Kubert or Joe Mad, but I couldn't have told you why.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The first time I read a Jim Lee X-men comic I was comparing it to back issues of Byrne stuff I had read and I was like "Holy crap why does everyone look like melting monsters? Why is there always spittle coming out of their mouth when they talk?"

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I've been meaning to read Top 10 for a while, so I guess that's one more reason.

Although Power Company sounded more like what I was aiming for - despite taking place in the DC universe - it was never published here and it ain't on Comixology either.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Samuringa posted:

I've been meaning to read Top 10 for a while, so I guess that's one more reason.

Do it. It is so, so good.

I’m not going to spoil it much, but there’s a scene in there involving a teleported mishap. It is so loving ridiculous in concept, but there is so much grace and beauty in those three pages I tear up every time I do a re-read.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

And people used to tell me I was insane when I said Lim was pretty ordinary

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

He's fine. Not someone I'd go, "Oooh! Ron Lim is on this book!" but pretty far from the worst and in terms of being able to tell a story in his art he was better than most of the "hot" artists in 1990.

And for gently caress's sake, read Top 10. Just don't bother with any of the material not written by Alan Moore.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Do it. It is so, so good.

I’m not going to spoil it much, but there’s a scene in there involving a teleported mishap. It is so loving ridiculous in concept, but there is so much grace and beauty in those three pages I tear up every time I do a re-read.
I never bothered to watch it once I got spoiled on the ending, but I heard the first season of True Detective flat-out stole some of the best lines from this issue.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Jerusalem posted:

I used to think the same about Mike Grell, though I got that from Warlord which I think he was very suited to do.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Random Stranger posted:

He's fine. Not someone I'd go, "Oooh! Ron Lim is on this book!" but pretty far from the worst and in terms of being able to tell a story in his art he was better than most of the "hot" artists in 1990.

And for gently caress's sake, read Top 10. Just don't bother with any of the material not written by Alan Moore.

I think I'm the one guy on these forums who thinks the non-Moore Top 10 stuff wasn't bad. I mean, it wasn't up to the quality of when Moore was writing it, but that's a pretty tall glass of water to set your benchmarks to.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jerusalem posted:

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
Hes good, not amazing, but he sets a clear bar for what quality should be at.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 11, 2018

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Not a "comic" "panel" as such, but...

https://twitter.com/thomas_violence/status/962690220364767238

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is it by him?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Billy Batson, huh?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Selachian posted:

Billy Batson, huh?

He goes "SHAZAM" every time he sees those breasts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Scaramouche posted:

I used to think the same about Mike Grell, though I got that from Warlord which I think he was very suited to do.

Whooooooooa there buddy.

Mike Grell is leagues beyond Ron Lim.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Superior Foes of Spider-Man had a lot of shop talk by a team of c-list villains. It was also funny as hell.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Choco1980 posted:

I think I'm the one guy on these forums who thinks the non-Moore Top 10 stuff wasn't bad. I mean, it wasn't up to the quality of when Moore was writing it, but that's a pretty tall glass of water to set your benchmarks to.

The Zander Cannon stuff is aces.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

This looks like every drat M rated movie from the 80s.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

The best thing about the post Moore Top 10 was the homage to this panel:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

The best thing about the post Moore Top 10 was the homage to this panel:

"HEY AUIMSTERANKO EFFECT?"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A Jim Steranko effect

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

A Jim Steranko effect

And here's the Top 10 homage of that panel from Beyond the Furthest Precinct #2:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ok, we JUST had a panel from Newspaper Spider-Man but.. come on.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

mind the walrus posted:

I never bothered to watch it once I got spoiled on the ending, but I heard the first season of True Detective flat-out stole some of the best lines from this issue.

Yeah, I watched it a few months ago for the first time and was flabbergasted as I told my wife "That's from Top 10!" and had to rush to the trade to show her.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

evilmiera posted:

Ok, we JUST had a panel from Newspaper Spider-Man but.. come on.

I like Banner's face as he seems to realize just what the hell he's doing. He probably paused for about 5 seconds before continuing up the stairs anyway.

At least when he's not the Hulk he's still loving jacked.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

I like Banner's face as he seems to realize just what the hell he's doing. He probably paused for about 5 seconds before continuing up the stairs anyway.

There are only two builds in comic-land; fat and loving jacked.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
It's like being an NPC in the Hitman universe. If you are a dude, you are this body type, regardless of diet, exercise or profession.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

CzarChasm posted:

It's like being an NPC in the Hitman universe. If you are a dude, you are this body type, regardless of diet, exercise or profession.

Or at the very least, your clothes will conform to 47's build. Are you a 5'2" Chinese waiter? Well nobody will notice you're suddenly a foot taller, bald, and a pale white man when he steals your clothes!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Man, it’d be pretty trippy to play through a Hitman level where you sneak and murder as usual, but all the mooks are in the midst of this Kafka-esque nightmare, walking in to work and suddenly finding themselves in entirely different bodies and builds.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's like that issue of She-Hulk where she realizes her She-Hulk physique is a multiple of her regular physique so she gets jacked in her regular form to fight Champion as She-Hulk.

Bruce is just making Hulk stronger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

chitoryu12 posted:

You'd make drat sure you were jacked too, if half of your life consisted of waking up nearly naked in dark alleys in the bad part of town. Especially after you try to take a shower at the local Y and get set upon by the local gay rape gangs.