Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The engines were a bit dodgy. Perils of working at the bleeding edge of technology while pushing it at 100% as often as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Reuben Sandwich posted:

Additionally, a Tinian B-29 mechanic that I talked to years ago said their goal was 2 sorties a week if I remember correctly. He ranted about the Wright cyclone but I don't remember much of the details.

Early B-29s were bleeding-edge technology, and it showed. They were maintenance hogs, and suffered significant rates of mechanical failure, especially compared to previous four engine bombers. (Which were radically simpler aircraft, generally.)

Discovered while looking for a picture:

Neil Armstrong was a pilot of one of the Navy P2B-1S’ that were being used to mothership the Douglas Skyrocket. He was one of the pilots onboard on March 22, 1956, carrying Jack McKay in the Skyrocket, when #4 had a prop runaway, which failed prior to shutdown, and apparently also did enough damage to #3 to warrant a shutdown and feather. McKay called no drop from the Skyrocket, but the P2B crew dropped him anyway. :v:

Bad day.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Reuben Sandwich posted:

Additionally, a Tinian B-29 mechanic that I talked to years ago said their goal was 2 sorties a week if I remember correctly. He ranted about the Wright cyclone but I don't remember much of the details.

In game they have pretty high service ratings (I think earlier models are a 4, later drop to 3), so 2 is generally pretty good. The earliest B-29's (B-29-11 IIRC) started arriving in Aden in 11/43 if I remember correctly, but it's a relative trickle and it's mid-44 before you can really start bombing in any meaningful way. Even then it's super helpful to be closer than the Marianas, ideally within full bomb load range of B-24's. Taking Taiwan after the Marianas gives you lots of options.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

My fast supply ships run into some trouble.

This sub captain is conserving his torpedoes.

THIS sub captain is making the most of his!

I'm risking these guys to go play amongst the packed transports at Jaluit.

The shattering bombardment continues.

Curse you and your working torpedoes you side character from Game of Thrones.

That was a very quiet day in the air, but a good one for our subs!

That's an optimistic claim.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Might be valid. CVL vs Torpedo isn't the best odds for the boat.

Point score doesn't seem to support it though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Ron Jeremy posted:

They also realized that irl, unlike in this game, level bombing was pretty much worthless for hitting targets smaller than a city.

Eh, the Tirpitz got sunk by level bombing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Basically the same size.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I'm trying to imagine artillery emplacements at Jaluit. Japanese and American guns only a few meters apart, lobbing shells over a ridge of corpses

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Grumio posted:

I'm trying to imagine artillery emplacements at Jaluit. Japanese and American guns only a few meters apart, lobbing shells over a ridge of corpses

shooting back and forth forever

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Grumio posted:

It's more like really aggressive grenade throwing

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grumio posted:

Imagine 4 guns at the end of a reef

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Gort posted:

Christ imagine the accuracy of the AI bombers but equipped with tallboys

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Has the supply run been aborted or still making a go for it? And good luck getting the cruiser force in there. Hopefully that CVL having to withdraw for repairs means that air cover will be minimal.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Gort posted:

After like 2 years of trying, while it was stuck in a harbor and couldn't maneuver...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Grumio posted:

So https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr2GeWiDrdY but with explosions.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

lenoon posted:

Christ imagine the accuracy of the AI bombers but equipped with tallboys

If you wait until about September '45, they do get tallboys.

Confused Enormatons
Apr 12, 2007
And a little boy even sooner.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

algebra testes posted:

We're having trouble already and they're still to get B-29s. :allears:

I've always wondered why the B-17 was sent to Europe and the B-29 sent to the Pacific. Was it just to keep things simple for logistics and not mix airframes, or did the B-29 just fit the profile of the theatre better?

It was already briefly mentioned, but the issue really was range. The distances in the South Pacific are absolutely enormous, and the truly effective targets irl (as opposed to this absurd bomb sniping from 10,000m poo poo in-game) for level bombers were mostly in the Home Islands, or elsewhere well out of reach of Allied air bases. The B-29 was absolutely crucial for the strategic bombing campaign, with vastly more range than a B-17 - and they needed every mile of it.

Gort posted:

Even aside from previously mentioned static location and miserable accuracy (All together, between three missions somewhere between 80 and 90 Tallboy-armed Lancasters were thrown at Tirpitz... they hit with 2-3 bombs total, with a few more near misses), there's also the issue that Tirpitz's anchorage had absolutely no fighter cover whatsoever - it was purely AA fire off the ship itself and emplacements around the fjord. While impressive-looking, that's incredibly inferior to having actual fighters to harass bombers. They were also bombing from far lower altitudes than normal for strategic bombing (like half the normal height), and doing so with a singular specific target in mind - which, combined with previously mentioned lack of fighter cover, meant some bombers were making multiple passes trying to get off a clean drop rather than any normal circumstances. Even if they did eventually get it, that's a hideously massive investment of resources in terms of actual gain.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
If you haven't already, read one of the books about the minisub mission to sink the Tirpitz. It's :catdrugs:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

A surface attack ruins a small enemy vessel.

The cruisers blast through the Allies picket like it wasn't even there.

Then they are the proverbial fox amongst the chickens.

They are so focused on the island of Jaluit, they never see the experienced raider ships coming.

Luganville his hit again.

We fend of a carrier strike.

One of our ships gets tagged on the way out, but I think I can't really complain.

The enemy are also starting to take ground(?) on the island itself.

Please tell me this is another attempt to invade Rabaul.

Yep! Another failed assault.

What can I say, another big risk with my surface ships pays off!

In a big way!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
You know, if nothing else, the IJN really is proving that sheer bloody stubborn-mindedness can move mountains. (Ones made of broken bodies and hulls, but still.)

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Not a bad raid! Shame you didn't hit the transports, but a lot of sunk Destroyers is nice - particularly for your subs. One damaged light cruiser is a small price.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A raid that bags a CL, APA, LSD and half a dozen destroyers, along with a bunch of other things is a pretty loving good raid.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Grey Jaluit wgah'nagl fhtagn :unsmigghh:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

According to Wikipedia the HMS Caledon left the Eastern Fleet in 1942 to return to the UK for conversion to an anti-aircraft cruiser. It's a pretty old ship, but it's still a good kill for what it can do. The Caledon never returned to the Pacific during the war, and we can see why :v:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hang in there, Sendai! :ohdear:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
How is a DD worth only 5 points if a B17 is worth 4? I cost about 20 times more to build a destroyer and held 10 times the crew. Also tens of thousands of 4 engine bombers were built for the war and hundreds of destroyers.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

10 February 1944

USS Pogy torpedoes the Japanese destroyer Minekaze north of Formosa (Taiwan).

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Bip Roberts posted:

How is a DD worth only 5 points if a B17 is worth 4? I cost about 20 times more to build a destroyer and held 10 times the crew. Also tens of thousands of 4 engine bombers were built for the war and hundreds of destroyers.

Note that a Canadian Flower-class corvette is worth only one point less. This is not an error. HMS Tenedos was a wholly obsolete S-Class boat left over from the previous war. For any "modern" purpose, her sole value was that she was slightly better than nothing, and most of the boats in her class were refitted as training ships or minelayers.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Fellow sister ship HMS Thracian also went on to serve in the Imperial Japanese Navy after getting beached in 1942. She then got returned and sent to the scrapyard at the end of the war.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gnoman posted:

Note that a Canadian Flower-class corvette is worth only one point less. This is not an error. HMS Tenedos was a wholly obsolete S-Class boat left over from the previous war. For any "modern" purpose, her sole value was that she was slightly better than nothing, and most of the boats in her class were refitted as training ships or minelayers.

Fun fact: the S-Class boats couldn't fit the broken torpedoes. So if they could catch something, they could actually sink it. The USN starts with a bunch of them in the Philippines, go nuts.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

mllaneza posted:

Fun fact: the S-Class boats couldn't fit the broken torpedoes. So if they could catch something, they could actually sink it. The USN starts with a bunch of them in the Philippines, go nuts.

Those were US S-Class submarines. I was talking about the British S-class destroyer that was sunk in the last update.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Very nice haul, Grey!

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

The manual actually states 1 VP per plane, 2 VP for planes classed as "Heavy bomber".
I'm not sure where the "1 point per engine" information originates, it's just kinda floating around. It could very well have been patched in at some point...

A modern Fletcher class DD is worth 10 points and a Tacoma class patrol frigate (PF) is worth 6. The Tenedos was hot garbage. :v:

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Very old ships in the game tend to be worth less VP. The Revenges are worth a bit less than the QEs, which are in turn worth less than the Renown Battlecruisers, despite all 3 being fairly similar in terms of overall performance.

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Very old ships in the game tend to be worth less VP. The Revenges are worth a bit less than the QEs, which are in turn worth less than the Renown Battlecruisers, despite all 3 being fairly similar in terms of overall performance.

It would seem that the game values speed quite highly, the Revenges being budget spec QE's could only do 22knots, the QE's could do 24 (and sustain it better) while the renown could lol around at over 30 for an age. In a brawl though money has to be on the QE, if for no other reason then you don't bet against the Warspite.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Surface attacks are quite popular these days.

Rabaul comes under attack again today.

Their Spitfires mess us up again.

We lose a few planes today.

Yeah, we lost some planes today.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

That's a lot of planes for little effect.

Rabaul gets hit again.

We hold for another day at Jaluit.

I've spend twenty minutes shuffling men and aircraft ready for Operation Charnel House.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Is Jaluit going to be a hold out to the last man situation? Does it make sense to even evacuate troops in this game considering how inferior and supply limited Japanese troops are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

No way Grey can fight local supeemacy for long enough to evacuate then. Also, it's not the way of Bushido! *junior officers jump out and murder anyone suggesting retreat*