Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

BioEnchanted posted:

Despite all the jokes about it I always found Everybody Loves Raymond to be OK - it had some kinda sweet moments, like when Raymond calls out his parents on never giving Robert any praise for what he does, him being a cop, despite it being really dangerous and brave of him to be doing so, and they admit that the reason that they do that it because they know how dangerous it is - they have to face every day knowing that their son may not come home that day, and it terrifies them so they focus of Raymond's relatively safe career as a sports writer so that they don't have to think about it. It's a selfish reasoning, but an understandable one, even though it's emotionally draining for Robert.

It had its moments. I don’t think it’s as bad as many modern sitcoms. One character that was well done was the passive aggressive mother. Unless you have someone like that in your family, it’s hard to appreciate the nuance that she put into the role.

I’d like to see classic movie scenes remade with vaping instead of smoking. Imagine Humphrey Bogart making big clouds of strawberry smelling steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leavemywife posted:

It's kind of weird watching older stuff and seeing characters smoking. I was born in '91, so I can kind of remember this point where it was going out the window, but it was also visual shorthand for someone being a badass. Like Wolverine, Spike Spiegel, John McClane, the Cigarette Smoking Man, etc.

In older TV shows, seeing someone smoke was normal. Like Columbo, Andy Taylor, numerous film noir characters; it's kind of neat seeing how that's changed over the years.

I feel like it's also a thing in "kid adventure" movies from the 80s like Monster Squad where the cool kid smoked (usually after lighting a match by striking it on the sole of his shoe).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Krispy Wafer posted:

The writing can be good despite itself. There is a lot of talent going into something that appeals to the lowest common denominator.

But it’s also a throwback to simpler sitcoms with tired oft repeated storylines and no character arc whatsoever. I have no idea of what demographics watch BBT, but I’m going to guess it skews older. Younglings watch Riverdale.

http://z2solutions.com/demographics/big-bang-theory-audience-demographics/

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Raymond is a good example of a show that I can appreciate even if it's not my cup of tea. Like, I can see how people like it and think it's funny. Friends is another one. I don't like it but I get why someone might.

Big Bang is just awful. Someone post a Youtube clip of a good BBT joke.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

oldpainless posted:

BBT is like nickelback in that apparently no one likes it or watches it but it’s still super mega popular and profitable mysteriously somehow.

This is every CBS show. Like NCIS is apparently the most popular show on television but I’ve never met a single person who watches it. I don’t know if every Nielsen home is populated by old people who fall asleep with the TV on of what.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
NCIS is one of my parents' favourite programmes but it's also the favourite of my younger sister, who is 18 and rates Mark Harmon as one of her gold standards of handsomeness.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ncis makes csi look like true detective

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BiggerBoat posted:

Raymond is a good example of a show that I can appreciate even if it's not my cup of tea. Like, I can see how people like it and think it's funny. Friends is another one. I don't like it but I get why someone might.

Raymond was poo poo. I don't know how that show lasted as long as it did. Like King of Queens.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Raymond is a good show. It's not up to the level of Fraiser, but it's aged fine for a sitcom and doesn't deserve scorn.

Well gently caress, everyone may not love Raymond, but everyone loves Sheldon across a broad demographic range.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I sort of grew to like BBT. At first, I hated it because it showed nerdy university people being broken and barely functional people, but as the show goes on it actually sort of redeems most of the people just by showing them to be socially awkward, but understandable people with weird interests. It also has tremendously helped to popularize people working in the different fields of science, and science in general; this is always needed.

Similarly with the Mythbusters, it shows how things can work and how different things can be tested with experimentation. Some turbo-nerds hated the original MB simply because "its not proper science" etc., but gently caress me if it isn't entertaining show explaining the things and scientific principles to the common people. There is a reason why they do skip showing the 500 separate laboratory tests with minimal differences, I know that they *did* that sometimes behind the scenes. The general principle of conducting a proof-of-concept experiment, and if anything in it works, then try to work the rest of the kinks. And rest is just statistics and book-keeping and writing the whitepapers and/or submitting patents.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6BytoERJAY

Just the first few seconds.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Oh, my God, how much they've aged.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I remember when Seinfeld did that, but funnier.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

We found him!

Paraphrasing, but I think the guy that posted that boomers with nerdy kids watch it and like it because they think that's what nerds are like.

It's extra good for them because when they say their son is just like one of the characters, they get to imply they're doing some science stuff and not IT or whatever.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

As goons and autistic gamers, we can all identify with this clip am I right my friends

https://youtu.be/a91T8MdXXMc

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

oldpainless posted:

As goons and autistic gamers, we can all identify with this clip am I right my friends

:piss:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

oldpainless posted:

Honestly I thought Amy worked as a strong contrast to Sheldon, so kind of liked her character - when she was first introduced she was just Sheldon with 2 X chromosomes, but she grew as a person and came out of her shell when encouraged by Penny and Bernadette and her subsequent furious, frustrated withering sarcasm worked as a nice counterpoint to Sheldon's obnoxiousness while allowing her to still be earnest about her obscure hobbies with her new friends, even if often overdoing it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

hawowanlawow posted:

ncis makes csi look like true detective

Thanks to USA Network being the standard TV choice for the laundromat I worked in for years, I caught way too many episodes of NCIS. I swear, 4 out of 5 episodes has the murder victim they investigate be Petty Officers.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

No discussion of NCIS is complete without this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funny thing about the NCIS TV show is that the real life thing has pretty much no powers at all. The show has them running around arresting people all over the place just because the crime tangentially involved the Navy but (IIRC) they only have jurisdiction on Navy bases and can't do poo poo elsewhere.

Kind of like CSI where they made up this idea that crime scene techs carry guns and arrest people.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of like CSI where they made up this idea that crime scene techs carry guns and arrest people.

There's one amusing bit in an episode of Law & Order (possibly in SVU) where the detectives complain about CSIs thinking they're cops.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
NCIS has an "Israeli" character that sounds nothing like one, and I will never forgive them for it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So I just rewatched Beavis and Butthead from the beginning to the end over the last 10 weeks or so.

Some of it has aged extremely well. 50% of their interactions with women result in them having the poo poo kicked out of them for sexual harassment, often by the women themselves: the most biting part of the whole thing is that they never learn their lesson. Butthead will walk up to a woman, grab her with a "hey baby...", get cranked in the face, and go ahead and try it again with another woman 10 seconds later, with more or less the same result, which is a pretty apt representation. The show is pretty clear that B&B aren't supposed to get full sympathy, so most of their atrocious behaviour doesn't represent some kind of endorsement.

The music video segments are the best 90s time capsule out there. Pretty much every other 90s show (Friends or Seinfeld, eg) gives an idealized and/or sanitized version of the period, or mostly exists out of time (The Simpsons or South Park). Beavis and Butthead manages to preserve the good, the bad, and the weird instead of just cherry-picking high profile and popular stuff that survived the intervening decades. E.g. they watch a Pantera video, and after about 20 seconds of "yes! This rocks!" at the beginning, they sit silent for 10 seconds and Butthead remarks "uhh... there sure are a lot of dudes in this video."

Some of it has aged very poorly, particularly the other 50% of Beavis and Buttheads's interactions with women. There are several scenes in which Beavis and Butthead just sexually harass women for laughs with no consequences or comeuppance whatsoever. One of the episodes in season 7 has them using a mirror to look up an oblivious woman's skirt, and they don't even end up with a piece of glass jammed into one of their hands or anything. The Todd character is pretty wrapped up in this kind of stuff too.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

muscles like this! posted:

And extra-judicially knife-fight their wife’s murderer to death on top of a Brazilian mountain.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemada posted:

And extra-judicially knife-fight their wife’s murderer to death on top of a Brazilian mountain.

It's ok he really cares about kids

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CommonShore posted:

Some of it has aged extremely well. 50% of their interactions with women result in them having the poo poo kicked out of them for sexual harassment, often by the women themselves: the most biting part of the whole thing is that they never learn their lesson.
Related: Beavis Was The Wokest Bae

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

BiggerBoat posted:

BBT led to this happening, does that count

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIu_6u0VlwU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Erebus posted:

BBT led to this happening, does that count

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIu_6u0VlwU

Somebody didn't do their homework. :v:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I really like Prairie Fires. The Little House books and TV show were always interesting to me. It seemed like a fairy tale world. My third grade class also did a unit on pioneers around the time I read those books and I've always liked history. A lot of what I learned about pioneers seemed really whitewashed in hindsight. We barely knew about First Nations people except that they were one with nature. I grew up in Canada and First Nations education seemed ignored right up until Grade 10. We learned about smallpox blankets and residential schools then. I didn't even know Stanley Park was once inhabited by First Nations until a year ago. At least in British Columbia they are trying to teach more First Nations history and culture in schools now.

My education did not age well. Also, are there any more books like Prairie Fires that are about the real histories behind pop culture?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I just have to look good. I don't have to be clear.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wheat Loaf posted:

NCIS is one of my parents' favourite programmes but it's also the favourite of my younger sister, who is 18 and rates Mark Harmon as one of her gold standards of handsomeness.

Makes sense. I watched a few episodes of Two Broke Girls solely because of Kat Dennings before I had to give it up because holy poo poo what a black hole of unfunny.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

Thanks to USA Network being the standard TV choice for the laundromat I worked in for years, I caught way too many episodes of NCIS. I swear, 4 out of 5 episodes has the murder victim they investigate be Petty Officers.

I'm pretty sure that's accurate? Most people in the navy that i know want to murder at least one petty officer.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Don Gato posted:

I'm pretty sure that's accurate? Most people in the navy that i know want to murder at least one petty officer.

My point was that it was almost always a petty officer's murder that was the case of the week, when there was room for so many other ranks to get murdered.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I mean, nobody who does red carpet interviews does their homework.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBi87TU_Duw

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Choco1980 posted:

My point was that it was almost always a petty officer's murder that was the case of the week, when there was room for so many other ranks to get murdered.

Petty Officers are the Harry Kims of the US Navy. They're there for bad things to happen to them.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Don Gato posted:

It's usually Chiefs tbh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Torquemada posted:

I love when these crime scene show plots sound like Metal Gear boss fights.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

BiggerBoat posted:

The delivery of this joke is really clunky, but the actual joke itself isn't bad and is actually a pretty good jab at nerd culture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZF79Eyp_2A

I've watched a few episodes of this against my will, and this is literally the only actual joke I saw on the show.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CommonShore posted:

The music video segments are the best 90s time capsule out there. Pretty much every other 90s show (Friends or Seinfeld, eg) gives an idealized and/or sanitized version of the period, or mostly exists out of time (The Simpsons or South Park). Beavis and Butthead manages to preserve the good, the bad, and the weird instead of just cherry-picking high profile and popular stuff that survived the intervening decades. E.g. they watch a Pantera video, and after about 20 seconds of "yes! This rocks!" at the beginning, they sit silent for 10 seconds and Butthead remarks "uhh... there sure are a lot of dudes in this video."

Beavis and Butthead are all around a great time capsule for the 90's even without the music videos. They'd be about 2 or 3 years older than me, so it was a decent enough representation of what high school was like. Some of my favorite bits were when they were watching TV, because drat if that wasn't an accurate representation of what garbage was on TV in the mid 90's

CommonShore posted:

The Todd character is pretty wrapped up in this kind of stuff too.

Todd is a straight up villain, sure B&B look up to him and want to be just like him but all their interactions with him are unpleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Todd treats B&B like they treat Stewart, the little Ned Flanders rear end fat kid who just wants to be cool. It was a very accurate depiction of the dirtbag food chain as it was found in the poor parts of every town across America.