Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Do you actually feel someone is making GBS threads on you for saying they think something is "not especially good"?

personally i don't give a poo poo, but i do think there's an implication there that people are liking something bad, which is a commentary on their taste yeah

People talk derogatorily about folks who like boy bands and poo poo all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Canine Conspiracy posted:

These kind of complaints bug me a little bit, because I feel like I wouldn't have walked away from Amnesty with a positive impression of MotW if I didn't already know that Griffin is strongly running against how the book tells you to do things. Which is fine, it's his podcast, but it's not really a system problem-- the game has some pretty strict instructions about the structure, but the thing about being a GM is that you can always ignore that in any system. D&D does not inherently give you more tools to say "screw you, dad, the plot's going this way now" if you don't give the players the chance to do that, you know?

The way MotW is meant to be played per the book is:
- The players come up with a bunch of connections to each other and start with the group pre-formed.
- The GM comes up with a monster and a situation and a couple NPCs, but explicitly not a whole big plotline.
- The players direct everything from there, the GM is purely reactive.

And whether or not you liked Amnesty or think that it's a valuable experiment, I think you can probably agree that's not really a description of the game that they played.

I mean, that's what I said - the game system is a bad fit for their particular group dynamics, and that it doesn't sound like the game is playing out as the game system is meant to be played is evidence of that.

I don't think it was a matter of Griffin missing the point and if someone explained it to him he'd have naturally adjusted his Keeper style to be more in line with what the system calls for, I think that given that description of the job and Griffin's love of plotting and narration, and that his family seem pretty laid back about letting him take the reins, this is the natural result.

In D&D, the playrs need to be giving pretty regular, structured feedback - where are you moving to? Which spell are you casting? What do I have to roll against that? Even if they often just end up eyeballing the specific rules for what would work best in the moment, the basic structure and systems does give the players some guaranteed breathing room to influence the outcome of a scene. In a looser, more narrative structure, it's easier to just massage whatever input the players give into whatever the Keeper wanted to do in the first place. This is not a commentary on whether the system itself is good or if the group are good roleplayers, just that sometimes things don't gel.

As for whether the show's still good or not overall, it's a bit confusing to see the negativity here considering the show's more serious and dramatic turn was pretty well-received in most other online discussions I've seen. It's to be expected that as a show moves, it will leave people behind, and in particular these experimental arcs seem to be a way to explore what works and what doesn't before transitioning to a new season. I don't think it has to be inherently good or bad though, just different strokes, different folks - I enjoy it when a series that starts off loose and light gradually solidifies into something more serious, but not everyone does.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
No one is implying anything about other people, I think. I just get tired of the thread being filled with 50 identical posts after every TAZ ep saying the same thing about their annoyance with the "new direction" of the show (which has been around for a year or two now). I don't entirely disagree, but after this long, I think it's time to accept that the show isn't just goofs now and either deal with it or stop listening until hearing otherwise.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Legs Benedict posted:

“Something that I liked a lot became something I don’t” is a better way to phrase this without making GBS threads on the tons of people still enjoying TAZ, I think.

Yeah but those people like something I don't like, and I hate those people!

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like the balance (ha) could be a lot better. But I think like was said earlier, it's mostly them trying to do too much with the story in too little time for these mini arcs.

Exactly. This first like, pilot arc of Amnesty should have felt like a season one episode of Supernatural. A premise with some basic, solid characters and a lot of fun along the way while they kill a monster. Not a season ten episode where if you're not already on board you'll feel lost because it's just all part of the running story by now.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

You are on the somethingawful forums and you are upset that someone is using moderately soft words to indicate that they think a piece of media is bad, rather than using extremely soft words to indicate that they think a piece of media is bad.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Nuebot posted:

Exactly. This first like, pilot arc of Amnesty should have felt like a season one episode of Supernatural. A premise with some basic, solid characters and a lot of fun along the way while they kill a monster. Not a season ten episode where if you're not already on board you'll feel lost because it's just all part of the running story by now.

I mean it was clearly a pilot episode.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Nuebot posted:

Exactly. This first like, pilot arc of Amnesty should have felt like a season one episode of Supernatural.

If Amnesty was about Duck fighting a racist truck, it might've actually been enjoyable.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I really liked Amnesty but if the Adventure Zone ever becomes bad then it just means it has reached the same state as every other tabletop podcast. Like, the shining example is critical role, an unedited 3 to 4 hour weekly show that is paint by numbers fantasy and recently had the word "stinky doo doo" as its top moment of comedy. Listening to other people play tabletop is like listening to them talk about the dream they had last night and we got real lucky with TAZ.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

these really short pilots are not really conducive to comedy because the gm feels obligated to stuff as much world-building and set-up into it as possible. there's not a lot of room for the others to play in the space and it shows in the form of long monologues and video-gamey character introductions

i'd personally prefer the looser feel of early adventure zone instead of them trying to establish a cohesive narrative from day one, but they don't seem as interested in that

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I liked Amnesty, but the 20 minute letter from Mama right at the end was a little much.

I just don't know this NPC well enough to care about how they feel about a bunch of other NPCs I also barely know.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Artist I follow posted some THB last night.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/travismcelroy/status/962685686909427712

Oops it's bad.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/travismcelroy/status/962688608791654400

actually it's never going to come out

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
With the amount of people getting easily offended right now you'd think we were in the Facebook group

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

I really liked Amnesty but if the Adventure Zone ever becomes bad then it just means it has reached the same state as every other tabletop podcast. Like, the shining example is critical role, an unedited 3 to 4 hour weekly show that is paint by numbers fantasy and recently had the word "stinky doo doo" as its top moment of comedy. Listening to other people play tabletop is like listening to them talk about the dream they had last night and we got real lucky with TAZ.

so what this is like the 5th time you've made this post thinking other people will rush to pat you on the back and tell you you're right?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Travis should be mostly banned from voice work. Magnus is fine but holy poo poo are his characters grating even without the voices then they become just awful.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Pastrymancy posted:

With the amount of people getting easily offended right now you'd think we were in the Facebook group

I genuinely think people took the complaints about the Facebook page as a challenge because this thread has gone really downhill since it was brought up

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

flatluigi posted:

I genuinely think people took the complaints about the Facebook page as a challenge because this thread has gone really downhill since it was brought up

So has the quality of McElroy content.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I've learned that if you enjoy a thing a great way to ruin that is listening to other people talk about it in threads like these or Facebook groups.

Life lessons!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

To clear the air, I was not being 100% serious with my post. I'm just kinda wary of putting on a character voice for narration.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Waterbed Wendy posted:

I've learned that if you enjoy a thing a great way to ruin that is listening to other people talk about it in threads like these or Facebook groups.

Life lessons!

I'm just amazed that there are still people around who take threads like these as gospel as how to feel about the podcast. There was someone a few pages back who gave up on TAZ before even finishing the Balance arc based on people being super negative, which is a bummer

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm starting to think that no fandom can exist for too long before it starts eating itself alive

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm starting to think that no fandom can exist for too long before it starts eating itself alive

it's a shock this one has lasted as long as it has tbh

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

pretty sure if Balance had kept going it (the fandom) would have eventually devoured itself coming up with ways all the characters are incredibly problematic

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

an entire subclass of TAZ-critical tumblrs

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's not just fandoms, most groups created by people do this. It's just a weird thing humans do.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Crocoswine posted:

pretty sure if Balance had kept going it (the fandom) would have eventually devoured itself coming up with ways all the characters are incredibly problematic

Alaois posted:

an entire subclass of TAZ-critical tumblrs

when QFG said fandom they meant this thread

this thread is a fan thread

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
edit: why did I even effort that much

We inevitably eat ourselves.

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 11, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey I listened to the first few episodes of Bunker Buddies and I was like, this is bad, but could get good. I should check back in a year or so and see if they figured out a working structure for the show and got good

Did Bunker Buddies get good?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

Hey I listened to the first few episodes of Bunker Buddies and I was like, this is bad, but could get good. I should check back in a year or so and see if they figured out a working structure for the show and got good

Did Bunker Buddies get good?

it actually gets worse as the lady slowly reveals more and more that she's not actually the smug rebel against her crazy prepper mom she thinks she is and Travis has nothing to really add to any of the nonsense so she just kinda rambles about how 'ok sure these preppers are nuts but they have a point actually' and he just kinda goes 'uh yea I guess it's good to keep water and canned goods and junk on hand for natural disasters and all...'

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Bunker Buddies is Travis enabling that poor woman's mental illness and he should feel bad about it.

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

So does anyone in here still like the McElroys or is it just me?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I do. They're nice guys.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I wish they'd do less horse-based content though

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Prof. Spaceman posted:

Who?

Edit: https://griffinmcelroy.bandcamp.com/track/forgetting

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I only listen to Sawbones, and I have nothing against their extended family. I did try to listen to the Adventure Zone, becuase I loved the D&D segments on Harmontown. But apparently they record The Adventure Zone while not blackout drunk so it was a lot less entertaining.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Mae posted:

I wish they'd do more horse-based content though

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Prof. Spaceman posted:

Justin and Milkshake Duck McElroy are still ok.

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Ojjeorago posted:

Justin and Milkshake Duck McElroy are still ok.

I regret to inform you that Milkshake Duck McElroy is racist not playing a game right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Bunker Buddies is god awful, with and without Travis.