Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
A TTRPG's mechanics are an artistic tool used to depict the setting and story, same as actual prose writing is. The best ones are stuff like the rules for spending vitae to rise every day and heal otherwise lasting wounds in Vampire.

Even supposedly generic or flavor-independent mechanics actually have powerful setting and story implications, they're just often bare-bones or uninteresting ones like "in this world, people get into lots of fights."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Anyone wanna give me feedback on a Dungeon World class I made? I asked the Dungeon World thread but they're asleep.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e: Or put another way, flavor should be an inspiration for mechanics, which still have to stand on their own quality-wise. Flavor determining mechanics is how you get terrible simulationist bullshit.

:agreed: I tried to word my theory to exclude 'Flavor determining mechanics'.

e: Although I think your statement suggests that I worded some things poorly in a way that implies a causal relationship between flavor and mechanics that I didn't intend.

Ferrinus posted:

Even supposedly generic or flavor-independent mechanics actually have powerful setting and story implications, they're just often bare-bones or uninteresting ones like "in this world, people get into lots of fights."

This is true. For instance, in Fate Core, we might assume that Burglary is a thing that characters could be expected to do since that is a skill on the default list. We could also say that skill level is much more deterministic of success in a Fate Core setting that in a d20 setting because of their respective resolution mechanics.

I think that generic games are just as legitimate an approach as more powerfully themed games even though I prefer themed games because generic games place more onus on the GM and the players to produce their own setting and story content.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 9, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Raise your hand if you thought the Glaive on the AD&D weapons table was a sweet five-bladed oversized throwing star, and not a bladed polearm of some kind. Bonus points if you let your players use them as throwing weapons.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dwarf74 posted:

Raise your hand if you thought the Glaive on the AD&D weapons table was a sweet five-bladed oversized throwing star, and not a bladed polearm of some kind. Bonus points if you let your players use them as throwing weapons.

Yeah I spammed Huntresses in Warcraft 3 also

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Look at this scrub whose first thought was WarCraft and not Krull. :colbert:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Look at this scrub whose first thought was WarCraft and not Krull. :colbert:

:bahgawd::respek::bahgawd:

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

A TTRPG's mechanics are an artistic tool used to depict the setting and story, same as actual prose writing is. The best ones are stuff like the rules for spending vitae to rise every day and heal otherwise lasting wounds in Vampire.

That's fair.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
That guy is a badass and more games need cyclopes with throwing tridents.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

I always thought glaives were this:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

I always thought glaives were this:

That's a Gladius!

Funny thing, apparently that was what Colwyn's weapon was called in the Brazilian release.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

That's a Gladius!

Funny thing, apparently that was what Colwyn's weapon was called in the Brazilian release.

Looks like it's a language barrier thing.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
It was originally a French word for spear. In English, it came to mean a specific polearm, and in French it ended up being another word for sword.

Etymology is fun!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

JackMann posted:

It was originally a French word for spear. In English, it came to mean a specific polearm, and in French it ended up being another word for sword.

Etymology is fun!

From wiktionary:

quote:

Probably from an original *glede (from Latin gladius) with influence from Gaulish gladebo (“sword”). Both terms are ultimately from Proto-Celtic *kladiwos (“sword”). Alternatively, the d in *glede that had come to be pronounced as /ð/ in Old French may have been fronted to /v/ (perhaps with the additional influence of the aforementioned Gaulish term.)

Amusingly, another word derived from *kladiwos is claíomh, the modern spelling of claidheamh and roughly pronounced "cleave," "clive," or "claive" depending on your regional accent. I'm pretty sure the Ulster pronunciation, "claive," is the origin of the word klaive from Werewolf (which should be obvious seeing as one of the Tribes is literally called the Fianna), and from which Exalted applied the on'yomi pronunciation of Japanese 大 in this case dai (as opposed to the shorter da) or "big" to get daiklave. As it serves as, essentially, the "daito" longsword to the klaive's short sword, that's fair enough. The kun'yomi reading of the same character, ō, is used as a prefix meaning "great" as in greatsword more often but fewer American writers are familiar with it, but if they'd instead called Grand Daiklaves "odaklaves" it probably would've been a little too on the nose.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My (if I have one) FLGS shared this video and it's great imo

https://www.facebook.com/GigaBitesTabletopCafe/videos/10155205944557823/

I don't see in-joke promotional videos for tradgaming very often

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Xarbala posted:

From wiktionary:

Amusingly, another word derived from *kladiwos is claíomh, the modern spelling of claidheamh and roughly pronounced "cleave," "clive," or "claive" depending on your regional accent. I'm pretty sure the Ulster pronunciation, "claive," is the origin of the word klaive from Werewolf (which should be obvious seeing as one of the Tribes is literally called the Fianna), and from which Exalted applied the on'yomi pronunciation of Japanese 大 in this case dai (as opposed to the shorter da) or "big" to get daiklave. As it serves as, essentially, the "daito" longsword to the klaive's short sword, that's fair enough. The kun'yomi reading of the same character, ō, is used as a prefix meaning "great" as in greatsword more often but fewer American writers are familiar with it, but if they'd instead called Grand Daiklaves "odaklaves" it probably would've been a little too on the nose.

As sino-japanese linguist. Thanks. Now I'm angry.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

As sino-japanese linguist. Thanks. Now I'm angry.

Sorry bout that. Also sorry, I realize done goofed when I should've said "Japanese pronunciation of the character 大" whoops.

Anyway, that's Exalted! *jazz hands*

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/962092879886757889

This is good and normal for a lead developer.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
The latest blogpost for The Next Project is up :siren:

This time, I'm digging into the "Reserves" system a bit (healing surge/recovery analogue-type thing)
Basically I went in and crunched the numbers, and am making some adjustments, for playtesting purposes.

If you're not already on the TNP Discord, :getin:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Cassa posted:

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/962092879886757889

This is good and normal for a lead developer.

Funny how many of the same “designers” who insist on gatekeeping via rules complexity and poo poo layout also have a problem with editors in tabletop gaming.

Hey guys! You’re all fired from D&D. Find another game.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Speaking of Mearls I had completely forgotten he did an AMA where I asked him "Why is something that is neither an action nor a bonus called a Bonus Action?"

Mike loving Mearls posted:

It's all part of that sense of wonder RPGs can evoke.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

So, so discuss someone on the complete other end of the developer spectrum, industry legend Greg Stafford recently turned 70. Apparently he's taken to answering questions about mythology over on Quora :3:

https://twitter.com/ian_h_cooper/status/962297997211176960

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm glad that basically every reply to the Mearls tweet is calling him out because he's THE LEAD DESIGNER OF THE loving GAME.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Reene posted:

Speaking of Mearls I had completely forgotten he did an AMA where I asked him "Why is something that is neither an action nor a bonus called a Bonus Action?"

Tbf this is really hilarious.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

wait in what sense is a bonus action not an action

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The sense of wondering just how dumb someone can be.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I am pretty sure it's because it's not an Action (capital A) which is a specific thing in 5e

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

None of the things that trigger off actions trigger off bonus actions. Also things that require an action cannot be performed using bonus action.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

None of the things that trigger off actions trigger off bonus actions. Also things that require an action cannot be performed using bonus action.

Thanks, that makes sense. Or, well, the explanation makes sense.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
The Tragedy of GJ237b - A role-playing game for no players

https://medium.com/@balehman/the-tragedy-of-gj237b-928cfeae460b

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I know one of the co-authors of that and he is pretty tickled to be nominated for a Nebula.

They briefly blocked the nomination on the grounds that it's marketed as a "game" but it was appealed and they are back on as a nominee.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Bonus action also isn't a bonus as everyone gets it.

It's the best example of "natural language" in the game.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Greg Stafford is chill and I hope his Charlemagne game comes soon

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

xiw posted:

That's amazing.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

xiw posted:

The End. No Moral!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

xiw posted:

It's the RPG version of the famous symphony 4'33". In a way, it touches many of the same ideas as 4'33".

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

xiw posted:

I dug this a whole lot more than I thought I would.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

xiw posted:

Now I'm sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011