Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weedle
May 31, 2006

Buying one of the games gives you a discount on the other that puts the total price for both at $60: $30 for 1 and $30 for 2 if you buy 1 first, or $10 for 1 and $50 for 2 if you buy 2 first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Physical is 2 with a code for 1 and digital is 1 and 2 separate but you get a discount on one if you buy the other first.

Or something insane like that.

Physical is $60, cartridge for 2, download for 1.
Digital is $20 for 1, $50 for 2. Whichever you buy gives you a $10 discount code for the other, making the combined games cost $60 ($20+$40 or $50+$10).

e: There's another page...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Policenaut posted:

The hot rumor right now is that the MGS HD Collection (MGS2/3/Peace Walker) is coming to PS4, but hey maybe it'll also come to Switch!

I'd kill for 1-4 + Peace Walker. I know that 4 will never be ported but still.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Give me vc and streaming media support and I will have no reason to ever hack my switch

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope the Switch doesn't get hack during it's life cycle. I also hope it never gets VC

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Guy Goodbody posted:

I hope the Switch doesn't get hack during it's life cycle. I also hope it never gets VC

Why?

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Guy Goodbody posted:

I get the hacking but why would you ever have a problem with VC?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Genuinely, I hope they do that supposed Netflix-style VC setup instead.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Pug Rodeo posted:

Because Charlie don't surf.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Guy Goodbody posted:

lol, it already is hacked.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pug Rodeo posted:

Pointless contrarianism

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Takoluka posted:

Genuinely, I hope they do that supposed Netflix-style VC setup instead.

yeah that would be way better

Weedle posted:

Pointless contrarianism

also that

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
A subscription system that besides a bunch of standards you can play all the time it deliberately introduced a bunch of weird old games no one played and had periodic challenges built around them would be sweet.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

A subscription system that besides a bunch of standards you can play all the time it deliberately introduced a bunch of weird old games no one played and had periodic challenges built around them would be sweet.

Sega Channel, but with achievements! I think Nintendo could do it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Takoluka posted:

Is there anything Nintendo can do to prevent people from going online with hacked Switches?

Not really but there isn't a whole lot those people can do if Nintendo decides to brick or otherwise kneecap their devices like they did to hacked 3DS owners.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
so hack your switch then dont connect it to the internet ever again

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Not to be a dick or anything but I hope all Switch games are canceled and Nintendo bricks all Switches on the market.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Mega64 posted:

Not to be a dick or anything but

You failed miserably.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Mega64 posted:

Not to be a dick or anything but I hope all Switch games are canceled and Nintendo bricks all Switches on the market.

We're all slowly dying after licking those cartridges so why not

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Samurai Sanders posted:

That actually does sound killer.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nintendo did not ban all 3DS’ with custom firmware. Mine hasn’t been banned and I’ve had it hacked for 3 years. I regularly connect to to the internet and play games online. I never cheat though.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 12, 2018

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Nintendo did not ban all 3DS’ with custom firmware. Mine hasn’t been banned and I’ve had it hacked for 3 years. I regularly connect to to he internet and play games online. I never cheat though.

Yeah, I used mine exclusively for save editing and I’ve been fine. I’m not sure anyone outside of Nintendo knows how many people actually got banned or why

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Chucktesla posted:

No, it's more like x-com with no permadeath and a simplified hit rate mechanic

M&R's hit system is so much better than XCOM's %chance system.

I got Fire Emblem Warriors on whim and I'm worried because this is my first Warriors game and it's entirely my thing. I think I have a copy of that One Piece game from a Humble bundle somewhere...

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 12, 2018

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yeah, I was under the impression that the one "big" banwave that did happen in the 3DS' lifecycle was actually relatively small and arbitrary and most people in the hacking circles I follow were not affected.

That being said, they do have some experience with online cheat detection. If you wanna hack in some Pokemon because the combat is fun but the grind is tedious, you'd better make drat sure that it's something that could have possibly existed, even through ancient one-time events or trade-ups from previous generations. They check down to even the location you met the Pokemon in and the level it was at.

The hacks aren't stoppable, but the cheating is generally preventable. Just requires good design on the server side.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Plan Z posted:

M&R's hit system is so much better than XCOM's %chance system.

I feel like I change my mind every other day about whether I think hit percentages like XCOMs are a good thing or not. I enjoy the possibility of failure, it adds a lot of stress to a combat scenario, which feels more authentic and immersive.

On the other hand, when my sniper misses an enemy standing completely out in the open, but bull's eyes a guy through the head who is LITERALLY behind a concrete wall, but for some reason I'm able to target him, it starts to get a bit weird.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is M&R's hit system based on the environment itself or something?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is M&R's hit system based on the environment itself or something?

No its just 100 out of cover 50 in partial and 0 in full.

The game is too basic for its length imo especially the short tech trees. It stops being fresh half way through the campaign cause theres just no growth or evolution of the mechanics because they are so simple/rigid

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

The game is too basic for its length imo especially the short tech trees. It stops being fresh half way through the campaign cause theres just no growth or evolution of the mechanics because they are so simple/rigid

While the game could use more depth, I don't think the purpose was constant mechanical growth, the challenge of later maps is all down to the enemy placement and varieties, as enemies get stronger and thus require more thoughtful approaches to defeat without getting all your guys killed. The fact that you have to fight two or three battles with damage persisting creates a sort of resource-management element out of your health. If anything, my main issue is that I want there to be more skills, I always feel kind of limited.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Switch boot rom was recently compromised. All tegra x1s have the vulnerability baked in. Homebrewers/pirates rejoice, nintendo firmware cant patch this, the bad code runs the moment you power on and before nintendos os starts up.

I only used CFW to get around region locks and the Switch is blessedly region free. I'd be tempted to put on emulators if they don't get virtual console running in the next year though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Real hurthling! posted:

It's not affected by range or angle or the weapon or attacker's stats or anything?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's not affected by range or angle or the weapon or attacker's stats or anything?

Yes, range is a factor, the weapons have limited ranges, and you can't shoot through a solid wall or anything, your placement and the enemy's placement obviously matters. Weapons largely affect damage and range, and there are bonus multipliers to encourage you to switch weapons around depending on what you are up against. Weapons also have status effects, which become drat near essential to the late game, so much so that the last character has an ability to guarantee the status effect triggers on your attacks.

It's an ability the enemy will also use quite liberally. It actually becomes very punishing to take hits because of this. It's an extremely mobile game, you will be moving your characters regularly, jumping off each other, sometimes clearing huge distances to set up sniper pincer attacks with Luigi (who can clear the most distance with jumps by virtue of getting two of them)

VV-- Doesn't that sort of apply to every game with ranged weapons? M+R has shotguns and sniper rifles which have different ranges, so I mean...yeah, you are either in range or not, but what your range is really matters, as getting close to enemies is a risk/reward situation.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 12, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You are either in range or not

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I mean, angle determines whether someone is behind cover or whether you have a clear shot at them.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is a fantastic idea. A Retro Game Challenge for the modern era.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

does anyone know if the Mario Odyssey red joy-cons or the Arms yellow joy-cons have had the same desyinc issues as they neons and greys?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really want that Xenblade patch with the easy mode to come out soon, because gently caress learning all the nonsense systems in this game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

.TakaM posted:

does anyone know if the Mario Odyssey red joy-cons or the Arms yellow joy-cons have had the same desyinc issues as they neons and greys?

Probably less likely since they seemed to be aware of the issue soon after launch. Even if you do get one with issues, they’re very cool about replacing them quickly so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

.TakaM posted:

The right (?) Joy-Con is always poo poo, pink, yellow, red, sent to Nintendo or not. Supposedly it got better, but you can still intercept the signal with your hand past a certain distance

Don't expect a huge improvement, if any

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really want that Xenblade patch with the easy mode to come out soon, because gently caress learning all the nonsense systems in this game.

I just finished XB2 and yes, gently caress learning all that nonsense. Sometime around 30% through the game I stopped even looking at accessories or aux cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

You had better at least have learned the timed hits! And how to break, topple and launch enemies, that's how you get the best loot!

• Locked thread