Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

“Oops I fell” made me laugh.

God, I remember before the election bracing myself for the endless insane complaining about Hillary once she won. I never expected she’d lose and we’d still get that.:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Polygynous posted:

defending trump as a conscientious objector, a bold take

Draft dodging is cool and good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFFOUkipI4U

His supporters won’t care so why undermine a moral anti-imperialist stance for a tepid own?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Draft dodging is good if you're honest about it, not hiding behind fake medical problems.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Ghost writer was Milo I guess.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

SeANMcBAY posted:

“Oops I fell” made me laugh.

God, I remember before the election bracing myself for the endless insane complaining about Hillary once she won. I never expected she’d lose and we’d still get that.:suicide:

That's funny to think about actually. Like, Garrison's cartoons in particular would be literally the same had she won.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I feel you're missing the point. His supporters idolize military service, so highlighting his lack of military service is constructive. I feel you're really overlooking who is the target audience.

Bahahaha they don't care.

Let me tell you about a man named Lt John Kerry decorated silver star veteran, and his cowardly opponent

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The right also turned on the troops at the beginning of Gulf War 2 when they pointed out the poo poo equipment they had.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The right also turned on the troops at the beginning of Gulf War 2 when they pointed out the poo poo equipment they had.

Oh man I forgot about that, now I'm mad again.

Oh hey remember Republicans booing a deployed soldier in the 2012 debates?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Jonas Albrecht posted:

There's a Kelly for that. "I need 'body armor.'"

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Oh man I forgot about that, now I'm mad again.

Oh hey remember Republicans booing a deployed soldier in the 2012 debates?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

quote:

Pat Peale's love for politics will live on forever. Pat was a beloved wife, mother and grandmother known affectionately to her family as Tricia, Princess Pat and Gammy. Her zeal for life and love of family combined with her patriotic spirit made her an unforgettable soul inspiring people to take an active part in our country.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Also there's a gaping chasm of difference between "avoided the draft because the war was hosed up" and "avoided the draft because they didn't want to actually do the fighting." If you can't tell the difference then there's not much hope for you.

We should absolutely be taking Trump to task for his saber-rattling and general lust for a new war, while simultaneously being too much of a chickenshit to actually want to do any fighting.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Jurgan posted:

There's a Kelly for that. "I need 'body armor.'"

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

lmao christ

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh yeah also, the way the right treats PTSD.

They really respect the military though, wait til they find out Trump never served

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I think if you're going to be woke enough to call Trump's draft-dodging conscientious objection, you should avoid calling the NVA 'peasant farmers'. Makes you look a little inconsistent.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

VitalSigns posted:

Bahahaha they don't care.

Let me tell you about a man named Lt John Kerry decorated silver star veteran, and his cowardly opponent

This.
They don't give a gently caress about people unless they can use them as tokens.
That's why they poo poo on John McCain every time he says something not entirely evil.

They want the token mouthpiece.
The black conservative to say that Racism was over until Obama. The token gay person to tell LGBTQ people that they're making too much of a fuss and that's why no one takes them seriously. The token veteran to attest that Muslims are all scary terrorists who should be deported and then bombed. The token woman to say that women never should have left the kitchen.

You're either an actual rich white guy, or you're a prop.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Starshark posted:

I think if you're going to be woke enough to call Trump's draft-dodging conscientious objection, you should avoid calling the NVA 'peasant farmers'. Makes you look a little inconsistent.

Yeah this, murdering peasant farmers was just an acceptable trade-off or sometimes a fun diversion, the objective was killing the NVA.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I like people who don't get captured.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Starshark posted:

A lot of people have this weird misconception that the Vietnam War was the US vs the Viet Cong. As opposed to the US, Thailand, South Korea, Australia and NZ backing South Vietnam vs. North Vietnam, the Viet Cong, and China. North Vietnam was a no-poo poo country with an Army, Navy, and Air Force. I seriously think people think Vietnam is like the Afghan War, with a plucky rebel group running around in one consolidated country, as opposed to a Korea-esque two separate heavily-armed and subsidized nations duking it out with foreign allies on both sides.

Plucky peasant farmers seize Saigon in 1975, apparently riding some sort of tractor?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

At no point have I called Trump a conscientious objector. Trying to "how dare you sir" him about shirking his duty to his country when at the time that duty would have involved taking part in a monstrous war with no purpose other than that the slow grind of imperialism demanded it, is pointless because his supporters don't care and it just undermines any anti-war/anti-imperialist stance you make on your own.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Plucky peasant farmers seize Saigon in 1975, apparently riding some sort of tractor?

The peasantry seizing the means of destruction.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dimebags Brain posted:

At no point have I called Trump a conscientious objector. Trying to "how dare you sir" him about shirking his duty to his country when at the time that duty would have involved taking part in a monstrous war with no purpose other than that the slow grind of imperialism demanded it, is pointless because his supporters don't care and it just undermines any anti-war/anti-imperialist stance you make on your own.
"You're a hypocrite for encouraging the kind of warfare you desperately avoided." doesn't undermine any anti-war sentiment. You'd have to be an idiot or a liar to think it does. ..which admittedly a bulk of the GOP is one, the other, or both.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Pat Peale's love for politics will live on forever. Pat was a beloved wife, mother and grandmother known affectionately to her family as Tricia, Princess Pat and Gammy. Her zeal for life and love of family combined with her patriotic spirit made her an unforgettable soul inspiring people to take an active part in our country.

Huh, I never realized she was an actual elected delegate and not just a random supporter. Granted, it's still not the most assholish behavior from a delegate at a GOP convention GOP delegates throw peanuts at African American CNN camerawoman: "This Is How We Feed Animals"

Pants Donkey posted:

We should absolutely be taking Trump to task for his saber-rattling and general lust for a new war, while simultaneously being too much of a chickenshit to actually want to do any fighting.

A person having lived an experience gains perspective. I think a person advocating for aggressive foreign policy is in the wrong whether or not they are a combat veteran. However, if they are a veteran, they at least are informed by their own experiences and have a personal appreciation for what war entails from the ground. There is a particular cowardice in demanding from others that which you are too scared to do for yourself. It the same reason why these threads hate Rall. He will attack leftist movements that are protest wrong and not resorting to violence, while he himself never leaves the sidelines.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

"You're a hypocrite for encouraging the kind of warfare you desperately avoided." doesn't undermine any anti-war sentiment. You'd have to be an idiot or a liar to think it does. ..which admittedly a bulk of the GOP is one, the other, or both.

The GOP doesn't care about this. They are mostly cowards who posture with tough talk and they prefer a coward who sends other people's kids to die to glorify himself over any war hero.

The man insulted POWs and ran away with the nomination. Bagging on his draft dodging is a waste of time at best.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Dimebags Brain posted:

Pretend I posted that galaxy brain meme being "Trump is a bad guy because he didn't join the Taliban" or something I guess.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

The right has long since abandoned any actual troop supporting, to them it means "killing brown people".

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Jurgan posted:

"Where's my @#$%ing shoe?!" So Garrison is obsessed with Hillary's shoe because he imagines that she is?

This is Hillary right now.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I’m never going to be an expectant mother but the last two panels stung a bit.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It is pretty bad honestly, and unnecessary when there are so many other things to mock about her.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Samurai Sanders posted:

It is pretty bad honestly, and unnecessary when there are so many other things to mock about her.

Yeah. Same with Cernovich's lisp - he's such an awful person and yet people choose to mock him because of something he was born with, rather than the result of his awful choices and ideas

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Dont you take the lisp away from me. Its like a multiplier of funny when he self owns. Like hes a literal cartoon character. Hes his own satire.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Even Ramirez isn't trying to spin defense of domestic abuse (at least for people other than Trump himself), wow. I'm still surprised that this is what so many diehard Republicans won't defend or spin after everything else, but... I mean, it doesn't change how awful Ramirez and co. are or anything, but it's still surprising.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If conservatives didn't shelter wife beaters then Mike Lester would be unemployed.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Panty Saluter posted:

Yeah. Same with Cernovich's lisp - he's such an awful person and yet people choose to mock him because of something he was born with, rather than the result of his awful choices and ideas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2P5lMvpPiQ&t=22s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pants Donkey posted:

If conservatives didn't shelter wife beaters then Mike Lester would be unemployed.

Yeah, that's part of what makes it so odd that this is the time it seems to be mattering; not only is the guy who beats women getting disapproval from the right, but the people who tried to defend him (except for Trump, of course) are too. I'm just wondering what made this time different; I have some ideas, but it's still abnormal.