Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Salt Fish posted:

Get the advantage, you'll be so glad you have cups to type in.

seriously, look at the referb models, they're usually under $300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stubbs
Oct 24, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

Get the advantage

the advantage could use better switches and keycaps and it's still the best keyboard out there

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Get the advantage

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Salt Fish posted:

Get the advantage, you'll be so glad you have cups to type in.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
do you guys NEVER want to get laid or what

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

you're hardly an authority on the topic after the recent events tbh

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

echinopsis posted:

You can't understand the importance of keyboard cups because unless you have an IT career.

Also, it's because of my grating personality and poor hygiene that I don't get laid, so there.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you're hardly an authority on the topic after the recent events tbh

getting laid isn't the problem lol

well, actually for me getting laid IS the problem

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I had a dream last night that somehow involved commenting on the long names on the weird function keys on ETH’s Oberon workstation keyboards

I have never seen said keyboards and I don’t know German

but now I kind of want an Oberon workstation

OK, no I don’t, they’re huge and use wacky National Semiconductor CPUs

also their keyboards are off the shelf VT100 equivalents

eschaton fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 4, 2018

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:worship:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

burn the witch

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
still leaning more towards the freestyle edge than the advantage. idk imho. bowls sound good but the keyboard looks huge overall

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
whats the best topre board? really want a realforce 104UG (high profile) but i fear ill dislike the keycaps

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Olivil posted:

whats the best topre board? really want a realforce 104UG (high profile) but i fear ill dislike the keycaps

the first topre i got was a type heaven and i still use it as my main keeb at home. i use hhkb at work and it feels much nicer but is like twice the cost. the leopold boards may be very good too but i haven't tried one

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Silver Alicorn posted:

still leaning more towards the freestyle edge than the advantage. idk imho. bowls sound good but the keyboard looks huge overall

Yeah it's big, but that's in part because your arms should be spread out when you're typing and if you have to cram them into a small space it fucks up your wrists worse. This ergonomic posture pictured is the same width abouts:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Silver Alicorn posted:

the advantage is surprisingly small in area. it is unusually tall for a keyboard, but it is neither wide nor deep.

also: the edge is chinese garbage. even if you hate bowls, and for some reason want a split, flat keyboard, there has got to be something better than the edge. rubber bubbles, lowest bidder trash.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

by the time ladies see your kinesis, you already have the advantage :q:

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

:prepop:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the advantage is surprisingly small in area. it is unusually tall for a keyboard, but it is neither wide nor deep.

also: the edge is chinese garbage. even if you hate bowls, and for some reason want a split, flat keyboard, there has got to be something better than the edge. rubber bubbles, lowest bidder trash.

the matias ergo pro looks like the good version of the freestyle: mechanical, mac or pc layout, has all the palm rest and tenting bits included. haven’t used one though, not exactly easy to find and try in person.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Guys I need help.
My crazy dumb keyboard wasn't shipped in time so they're offering me a chance to switch to Matias "loud click" vs the quiet click I ordered. I have Cherry MX Greens at work and really like them, would I mind the Matias loud ones? I originally speced the quiet click because I had heard the Matias louds were even louder.

It's the Quiet Click vs Click on this page: https://matias.ca/switches/click/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
do you have a private office? if not, do you mind being that rear end in a top hat who thinks it's okay to have a keyboard that sounds like distant machine gun fire in a shared space?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

infernal machines posted:

do you have a private office? if not, do you mind being that rear end in a top hat who thinks it's okay to have a keyboard that sounds like distant machine gun fire in a shared space?

if you don’t have a private office you have a moral obligation to use the loudest, most annoying keyboard you can and tell anyone who complains that it’s the only one that doesn’t agitate your RSI

Stubbs
Oct 24, 2005

jony neuemonic posted:

the matias ergo pro looks like the good version of the freestyle: mechanical, mac or pc layout, has all the palm rest and tenting bits included. haven’t used one though, not exactly easy to find and try in person.

have the ergo pro. can confirm it's good. solid build, switches are excellent. weird arrow cluster.

i'd still suggest the advantage to anyone first though

Stubbs fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 11, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

if you don’t have a private office you have a moral obligation to use the loudest, most annoying keyboard you can and tell anyone who complains that it’s the only one that doesn’t agitate your RSI

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i have the ultimate mechanical keyboard: a manservant whom i savagely beat whenever he makes a typo whilst i dictate my missives.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted:

i have the ultimate mechanical keyboard: a manservant whom i savagely beat whenever he makes a typo whilst i dictate my missives.

guillotine

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

President Beep posted:

oh so topres then

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Silver Alicorn posted:

the advantage is like 16 inches wide

my only beef with it is i don't like the numpad as a toggle on the right hand. there's 3 hectares of empty space between the split, just put a regularly shaped numpad in the middle

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I bought a k-type and I decided I don't really like the speed copper switches so I guess i'll sell it

idk why I keep searching for switches that are better than MX Browns when nothing is

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mad.radhu posted:

I bought a k-type and I decided I don't really like the speed copper switches so I guess i'll sell it

idk why I keep searching for switches that are better than MX Browns when nothing is

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
that looks nothing like complicated alps

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

saia-burgess low force micro switches

Stubbs
Oct 24, 2005

imo matias quiet clicks are much better than mx brown

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

angry_keebler posted:

my only beef with it is i don't like the numpad as a toggle on the right hand. there's 3 hectares of empty space between the split, just put a regularly shaped numpad in the middle

that’s where my sticky notes go though

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mad.radhu posted:

cleats are better

i made so many typos on browns. too light IMO

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it feels real good

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Let his perfect voice tickle your ears the way your fingers want to tickle the perfect switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsTeOVcMi0s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://www.massdrop.com/talk/3225/van-mans-v-day-trunk-sale