Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Mr. Nice! posted:

Arizona? Ship 14? I think that’s where i was and it was brand new when i went through. The mason where holdovers got stuck was the lovely place back then. :corsair:

ahaha yeah no arizona is currently featuring:

- the male galley head secured permanently for broke toilets
- a dirty rear end quarterdeck display since recruits arent allowed to touch that poo poo during ship staff cleaning
- various compartments with broken picture frames, chipped decks and bulkheads, old tape marks, boot scuffs or black stains of unknown origin that dont clean off, etc

when other ships would visit and i was on watch every rdc would comment on how much a shithole the place was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PneumonicBook posted:

I can only speak to an IRR chit getting straight denied and told get hosed you're here for the contract. Do Officers leave the same way as enlisted via IRR chit?

I'm not sure if mine was denied due to the Navy in general's new manning instructions or if they really think FCs in the reserves are a good idea.

I know Ket went active->reserve->out but I think that's because his contract was up.

I don't really have a contract in the same sense, I don't think. But I did sign a 3-year commitment which expires January 31st, 2019. February 2019 would be my last planned month.

I just kind of realized today driving home that I loving hate each drill weekend, that when I was speaking to the CO about what I need to do to advance to O5 or O6 that I just don't care and would rather be happy in my new career. The healthcare/pension be damned.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

PneumonicBook posted:

I can only speak to an IRR chit getting straight denied and told get hosed you're here for the contract. Do Officers leave the same way as enlisted via IRR chit?

I'm not sure if mine was denied due to the Navy in general's new manning instructions or if they really think FCs in the reserves are a good idea.

I know Ket went active->reserve->out but I think that's because his contract was up.

I dropped an IRR chit for my last year. It was approved no problem. I have very little to say about it because it was a 60 second long special request, 5 minute talk with my chief, then I just never showed up again.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Re: eval chat

Already did my xfer eval months ago :smug:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Do they still tell the story of the guy who was stuck in ship 5 for a year while recovering from breaking his legs or something?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Well my battalion triad got relieved today. Seabees, I guess

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Relieved for being too competent maybe?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That’s what you get for making your own fence.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

We haven't gotten anything direct, but sounds like they made the mistake of handling something out at their level in house instead of reactionary freak out. I can never remember, is it handle things at the lowest level or CYA no matter what?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

We haven't gotten anything direct, but sounds like they made the mistake of handling something out at their level in house instead of reactionary freak out. I can never remember, is it handle things at the lowest level or CYA no matter what?

Be a decent/smart person? Handle at lowest level.

Be a good navy boy/girl and keep your job? Freak the gently caress out and nail that idiot to the wall.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/963155978517733377

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/963157814125395969

Have they decided yet if the FFG(X) is going to be the LCS hull but upgunned/missiled or going with something else?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/963155978517733377

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/963157814125395969

Have they decided yet if the FFG(X) is going to be the LCS hull but upgunned/missiled or going with something else?

They really just need to decide it's going to be any one of the friendly countries serviceable new frigate platforms.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
That's a lot of SSCs. I wonder what they eventually decide on for LCS...they're contracted out to hull 30 atm.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Boon posted:

I don't really have a contract in the same sense, I don't think. But I did sign a 3-year commitment which expires January 31st, 2019. February 2019 would be my last planned month.

I just kind of realized today driving home that I loving hate each drill weekend, that when I was speaking to the CO about what I need to do to advance to O5 or O6 that I just don't care and would rather be happy in my new career. The healthcare/pension be damned.

Do what is going to make you happy and be best for you. And there is nothing wrong with peacing out right after you make rank. I have a friend who did after getting pinning on 06 and being selected for major shore command.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
My first group commander (O-6, with a MiG kill in Desert Storm) turned down a star because he didn't want to PCS away.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

maffew buildings posted:

Well my battalion triad got relieved today. Seabees, I guess

Why the gently caress was your XO wandering naked in the woods? Navy Times published the article if that was your unit (dunno of many other seabee unit triads nuked recently).

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Thronde posted:

Why the gently caress was your XO wandering naked in the woods? Navy Times published the article if that was your unit (dunno of many other seabee unit triads nuked recently).

Why not?

Sea-Warrior Spirit shipmate!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Thronde posted:

quote:

The entire command triad of Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 4, currently deployed to Okinawa, Japan, was fired Feb. 11 after the unit’s executive officer was found intoxicated and walking naked in the woods on Camp Shields.

Lt. Cmdr. Jason M. Gabbard, the unit’s XO, was relieved after being discovered in the woods wearing only his boots following a command gathering for chiefs and officers, Navy officials said.

The commanding officer, Cmdr. James J. Cho, and Command Master Chief (SCW/EXW) Jason K. Holden, were also relieved for their handling of the incident, which they attempted to cover up, a source told Navy Times.

The firing of a complete command leadership is rare. It happened with the leaders of the destroyer Fitzgerald following the deadly collision in June, but prior to that, the last time all three leaders of a ship were canned was in 2014 on the destroyer James E. Williams, as a result of a poor command climate report and investigation.

NMCB-4 has been in Okinawa since Oct. 14, when it assumed duties as the Western Pacific Naval Construction Force.

Cho, Gabbard and Holden have been temporarily assigned to Naval Construction Group One in Port Hueneme, California, according to Lt. Cmdr. Cate Cook, spokeswoman for Navy Expeditionary Combat Command.

Capt. Nick Yamodis will assume temporary duties as the NMCB-4 commanding officer until a permanent replacement is put in place, Cook said.

“Trust is the foundation for everything we do as military professionals, and we expect our service members to conduct themselves with the integrity and character to justify that trust,” she said. “When there are any indications that those values are not being followed, we conduct appropriate investigations and take action as necessary.”

Gabbard joined the Navy in March 1998 and initially attended nuclear field machinist’s mate “A school” before being appointed to the US Naval Academy in 1999. He has been the XO of NMCB-4 since June 2017.

Cho, a Bronze Star recipient, was commissioned as a seabee officer through officer candidate school after graduating in 1996 from the University of Michigan.

Master Chief Holden, also a Bronze Star recipient, joined the Navy in September 1998 and served as an enlisted builder after “A school.” He became the CMC of NMCB-4 in September 2016.

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your...dium=Socialflow

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Glad to get some good ole’ navy news after the crashes of last year

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
How were they trying to cover it up? Seems like unless something significant happened, handling at the unit level would be appropriate.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

How were they trying to cover it up? Seems like unless something significant happened, handling at the unit level would be appropriate.

Pretty much this. Seems they hosed up handling it locally if it got out to bug Navy like this. Still funny as gently caress, they having a wet down or something? Also enjoy another alcohol ban, safety stand down, and potential tighter liberty restrictions again. Never change, Okinawa commands.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

They didn’t report it up the chain and tried to keep it in house, and it apparently wasn’t just being drunk in the woods but naked and drunk in the wardroom, too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Like these guys haven’t seen each other’s dicks before.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

LingcodKilla posted:

Like these guys haven’t seen each other’s dicks before.

Not from the front, no.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This week’s training: how to keep your clothes on and stay away from the woods when black out drunk.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Anita Dickinme posted:

This week’s training: how to keep your clothes on and stay away from the woods when black out drunk.

A couple of years ago we had the SgtMaj from the Air Combat Element of the 31st MEU get relieved for getting drunk and pissing all over the tables on the mess deck. When the mess cranks told him to stop he said "this is Sergeant Major's dick and Sergeant Major's dick pisses wherever it wants to."

He was on a flight to Jakarta the next day and we never saw him again.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Anita Dickinme posted:

Your not my dad!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

They didn’t report it up the chain and tried to keep it in house, and it apparently wasn’t just being drunk in the woods but naked and drunk in the wardroom, too.

The wardroom thing was evidently a rumor, as was the woods thing at first; drunk in the wardroom really seemed a lot more plausible. I told everyone start your own rumors because we won't know the truth, I heard they found a unicorn and hosed it to death.

As to why he was doing that, well, you ever met any Seabees? If you have, this shouldn't be too surprising.

The Seabee community is pretty tight on ill behavior these days and tends to hammer people for it, our now fired CO went easier on NJP consequences than others would. Guess that attitude backfired this time

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Also enlisted opinion of the XO improved dramatically after why he was canned came out

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Zumwalt isn't going to use its fancy gun.

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2...dium=Socialflow

quote:

The Navy has a new vision for what its enormous high-tech destroyers will do: Killing enemy warships at extended ranges.

The Navy is asking Congress to fund a conversion of its 600-foot stealth destroyers from primarily a land attack ship to an anti-surface, offensive strike platform, according to budget documents released Feb. 12.

The service’s 2019 budget request includes a request for $89.7 million to transform its Zumwalt-class destroyers by integrating Raytheon’s long-range SM-6 missile, that can dual hat as both an anti-air and anti-surface missile, as well as its Maritime Strike variant of the Tomahawk missile.

[...]

One thing the budget isn’t funding is a new round for the ship’s purpose-built Advanced Gun System. In late 2016 the service canceled its Long Range Land Attack Projectile, which cost about a million dollars per round, and has struggled to come up with a replacement round for the gun.

“The Advanced Gun Systems will remain on the ships, but in an inactive status for future use, when a gun round that can affordably meet the desired capability is developed and fielded,” the documents read.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It's kind of an obvious move. Our ASUW capability is poo poo and the obvious advantage of a super stealthy destroyer is in a SUW role not Strike (although that is a real need as well)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Is the SM-6 really a capable ASCM or is it listed because the Navy desperately wants everyone to believe that the 1970s Harpoon isn't still our only ASUW weapon?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Is the SM-6 really a capable ASCM or is it listed because the Navy desperately wants everyone to believe that the 1970s Harpoon isn't still our only ASUW weapon?

Yes, it is.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

The Navy desperately wanted everyone to believe that the antiship version of Tomahawk worked, but they just couldn't keep a straight face after a while.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

So many new boots with pretty old reg dates. How old are you guys?

27 also. I was the awkward bboy at Captain's Cup.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Do they still tell the story of the guy who was stuck in ship 5 for a year while recovering from breaking his legs or something?

Yes, he left medical a few days before we got there after recovering from stress fractures. The people on this side of base are nice.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Madurai posted:

The Navy desperately wanted everyone to believe that the antiship version of Tomahawk worked, but they just couldn't keep a straight face after a while.

I still remember trying to mount Harpoon and Tomahawk strikes on Red Navy fleets in Harpoon 2 and having to spend hours coordinating multi-vector strikes with jamming and tanker support - so the ship and sub-launched weapons reached the target area at roughly the same time as the strike packages, and still burning through hundreds of weapons for what still often turned out to be a coin toss.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I still remember trying to mount Harpoon and Tomahawk strikes on Red Navy fleets in Harpoon 2 and having to spend hours coordinating multi-vector strikes with jamming and tanker support - so the ship and sub-launched weapons reached the target area at roughly the same time as the strike packages, and still burning through hundreds of weapons for what still often turned out to be a coin toss.

Have you looked at Command: Modern Air Naval Operations? It's the spiritual successor to Harpoon and super groggy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command:_Modern_Air_Naval_Operations

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Fred Dawes posted:

27 also. I was the awkward bboy at Captain's Cup.

Yes, he left medical a few days before we got there after recovering from stress fractures. The people on this side of base are nice.

Apparently there are multiple people who have spent significant chunks of their enlistment in boot camp medical hold. I went through boot in 2003.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Have you looked at Command: Modern Air Naval Operations? It's the spiritual successor to Harpoon and super groggy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command:_Modern_Air_Naval_Operations

Yeah - I actually just bought Command: Shifting Sands tonight and the most recent "Live" scenario while they're on sale at Steam, and I'm looking out for the sub-centric stand-alone, too. I've not had the time to get as invested in it as I once was with H2, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Apparently there are multiple people who have spent significant chunks of their enlistment in boot camp medical hold. I went through boot in 2003.

When I went through Army basic in summer 2006, there was a guy in another platoon who stood out like a sore thumb because he was wearing BDUs.

The Army had stopped issuing BDUs to new soldiers about a year prior. Dude had been in basic training for a year because he kept getting hurt.

I like to think he ETSed there.