Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Johnny Aztec posted:

If they are space orcs, then they are lovely, boring , space orcs.
Where’s all the dakta? Where’s all the WAAUGH?!

much as games workshop would prefer otherwise, fightpork 40000 does not have a monopoly on lumpheaded sawtoothed monsters that only understand violence

edit: that said I completely agree, either way you slice the ham, the new klingons are just terrible. no personality, no panache, nothing fun about them whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Seriously, Tigh. Your raging, primal hate-on for disco is clouding your judgment.

I said that one could make that argument, not that I'd necessarily agree. STD hasn't endeared me to any of it's characters the way TNG had the opportunity to and so even when it shits on it's own people it's hard for me to care that much.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Tighclops posted:

I said that one could make that argument, not that I'd necessarily agree. STD hasn't endeared me to any of it's characters the way TNG had the opportunity to and so even when it shits on it's own people it's hard for me to care that much.

Coulda sworn I saw you say it's definitely worse than Nemesis somewhere else, but it looks like it wasn't you. Nm then, please continue the hateful, bilous rear end-reaming.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

much as games workshop would prefer otherwise, fightpork 40000 does not have a monopoly on lumpheaded sawtoothed monsters that only understand violence

edit: that said I completely agree, either way you slice the ham, the new klingons are just terrible. no personality, no panache, nothing fun about them whatsoever.

Exactly. For all the morose talk about honor, death, and subjugation of other cultures, underneath it all old school Klingons enjoyed it. Those pain stick birthday parties were fun and we had fun watching them.

After Voyager it went all grim dipshit.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This week on STAR TREK: VOYAGER, the Vidiians make a B’Elanna Split and conclusively prove that Roxann Dawson has no idea how to play a Klingon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This week on STAR TREK: VOYAGER, the Vidiians make a B’Elanna Split and conclusively prove that Roxann Dawson has no idea how to play a Klingon.

The two sides of B'Elanna are ANGRY KLINGON :manning: and scared weak human woman :geno:.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i seriously cannot agree with you, Nemesis is aggressively stupid at a level even beyond that of Discovery

With the exception of parts of the final battle (excluding reverse-mind rape targeting), Nemesis was possibly the lowest-point that Star Trek has ever reached. Sure there are individual episodes that are worse, but actually making that movie, and making GBS threads all over the established characters was what pushed it to the bottom. Also it started the fine tradition of recycling Wrath of Khan, that every ST movie has to use from now on.

ST:NEM - Guy with a doomsday weapon wants revenge.
ST:2009 - Guy with a doomsday weapon wants revenge.
ST : ITD - Actually had Khan trying to get revenge.
ST : BEY - Guy with a doomsday weapon wants revenge.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The two sides of B'Elanna are ANGRY KLINGON :manning: and scared weak human woman :geno:.

That pretty much jibes with how it worked in TOS

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm not sure it was the actress' fault that she played a klingon so terribly. It was most likely the writers everyone knows were terrible.

Klingon = Warrior Race. Proud. Pursue glory and pride to the detriment of everything else. Combative to establish dominance and not be seen as weak. Arrogant, egotistical and obsessed with tradition.

Voyager Klingon = Huge bitch with a frustrated and sarcastic baseline who just attacks people constantly because KLINGONS SO ANGRY

Martok's wife on DS9 was 1000% better and it had nothing to do with her not being half human. It was the writing.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
even alexander rozhenkos mom was better

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I'm not sure it was the actress' fault that she played a klingon so terribly. It was most likely the writers everyone knows were terrible.

Klingon = Warrior Race. Proud. Pursue glory and pride to the detriment of everything else. Combative to establish dominance and not be seen as weak. Arrogant, egotistical and obsessed with tradition.

Voyager Klingon = Huge bitch with a frustrated and sarcastic baseline who just attacks people constantly because KLINGONS SO ANGRY

Martok's wife on DS9 was 1000% better and it had nothing to do with her not being half human. It was the writing.

B'elana was a loser. She got into and dropped out of starfleet academy. She joined the Maquis, the most pointless and worthless rebel/terrorist group ever. She only got the job as chief engineer because of a half-assed affirmative action plan to make the Maquis losers feel like they were being taken seriously -- and she knows it.

It's nice she finally found happiness (by hooking up with another loser who only avoided jail because his daddy was an admiral) but by Federation standards she's basically trailer park trash.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Facebook Aunt posted:

B'elana was a loser. She got into and dropped out of starfleet academy. She joined the Maquis, the most pointless and worthless rebel/terrorist group ever. She only got the job as chief engineer because of a half-assed affirmative action plan to make the Maquis losers feel like they were being taken seriously -- and she knows it.

It's nice she finally found happiness (by hooking up with another loser who only avoided jail because his daddy was an admiral) but by Federation standards she's basically trailer park trash.

She is also still hung up over a petty prank her 5-year-old cousin played on her when she was like about twelve years old, and continues to think all the other kids HATE HER FOR BEING HALF-KLINGON! :qq:.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
She had to join the Maquis because of her UNSTOPPABLE THIRST FOR COMBAT.

Despite Klingons always being huge nerds for anything honorable like oaths or doing their duty.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

quote:

5/17/2000. The Haunting of Deck Twelve 1.5 stars — Neelix tells the four Borg children a scary story about an alien lifeform to keep their minds occupied during a shipwide crisis.
should i watch this one with the lights off??

:ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Cry Havoc posted:

even alexander rozhenkos mom was better

I remember reading that the cast and staff on the show loved the actress so much they tried to cast her as often as possible. I think she showed up on all of the spin-offs as either aliens or Star Fleet.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Trast posted:

I remember reading that the cast and staff on the show loved the actress so much they tried to cast her as often as possible. I think she showed up on all of the spin-offs as either aliens or Star Fleet.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

numberoneposter posted:

should i watch this one with the lights off??

:ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

It wasn't the worst episode. But without the Neelix story painted on top of it, it's just another sentient nebula story (not a major spoiler, revealed not too far in and guessable way before that) and completely uninteresting

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
The best Neelix episode is when he is brought back from the dead and tries to commit suicide by beaming himself into space because he realized the afterlife isn't real

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VictorianQueerLit posted:

The best Neelix episode is when he is brought back from the dead and tries to commit suicide by beaming himself into space because he realized the afterlife isn't real

The best part of that is Neelix looking to his subconscious for an answer and getting outright told "kill yourself, pussy".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Torres is like "Man that sucks. My afterlife is totally real, I've been there, it's pretty sweet"

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe you're making a joke that I'm missing? Helena Rozhenko was played by Georgia Brown. That's Suzie Plakson (who was perfectly cast as Q's wife, imo).

E: oh and I was totally unaware that she played Selar. What a strange contrast to the other three roles. I'll have to check out her scenes.

E2: Huh. Selar was actually only seen once. Unfortunately the ep was The Schizoid Man (terrible, early season 2). But she got mentioned a lot, hence I thought there'd be more scenes.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 11, 2018

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Maybe you're making a joke that I'm missing? Helena Rozhenko was played by Georgia Brown. That's Suzie Plakson (who was perfectly cast as Q's wife, imo).

E: oh and I was totally unaware that she played Selar. What a strange contrast to the other three roles. I'll have to check out her scenes.

E2: Huh. Selar was actually only seen once. Unfortunately the ep was The Schizoid Man (terrible, early season 2). But she got mentioned a lot, hence I thought there'd be more scenes.

Helena was worf's mom, not Alexander's. Although worf did dump his kid on his parents when he got sick of him lol

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

FabioClone posted:

Helena was worf's mom, not Alexander's. Although worf did dump his kid on his parents when he got sick of him lol

I would blame Worf more for being a bad parent but drat, imagine being the dad of that dweeb. No honor to be won there, :sever:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He's such a dweeb he went back in time to kill himself

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

He couldn't even do that right

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

FabioClone posted:

:doh:! I was even thinking about her being half human, and how that made Alexander 1/4 human and I still didn't catch my mistake.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
you need to drink more prune juice

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Cry Havoc posted:

you need to drink more prune juice
new thread title? mods???

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I've been slowly working through DS9 for like the last 2 years, (holy poo poo, TV shows used to have a TON of episodes per season) and am nearing the end of season 4.

Slow warm up but shits finally getting good, much better writing, actors settled into their roles, and way better sets and effects.

I'd prob recommend starting on season 4 if anyone else still hasn't watched DS9.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

The Butcher posted:

I've been slowly working through DS9 for like the last 2 years, (holy poo poo, TV shows used to have a TON of episodes per season) and am nearing the end of season 4.

Slow warm up but shits finally getting good, much better writing, actors settled into their roles, and way better sets and effects.

I'd prob recommend starting on season 4 if anyone else still hasn't watched DS9.

yeah I'm wanting to watch it with one of my best friends, and while my personal opinion is that it's good from the start (esp compared to other Treks), to someone not more acquainted with Star Trek it doesn't start feel as slick until season 4.

I'm thinking of putting together a list of essential stuff from the first 3 seasons and then go from there with him. He's v. interested after I showed him stuff like In The Pale Moonlight, Past Tense, etc. and I think I've prepared him to embrace the camp when it happens for someone who's not been a Trek fan before.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

the tos communicators in std are so awful. And aside from getting to see some hot Klingon dual-stream piss, the episode was awful as well

I'm relieved the season is over. I await the inevitable slow trickle of bad news about the prospects for s2 and CBS All Access itself to start to dribble out.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Yandat posted:

I'm thinking of putting together a list of essential stuff from the first 3 seasons and then go from there with him. He's v. interested after I showed him stuff like In The Pale Moonlight, Past Tense, etc. and I think I've prepared him to embrace the camp when it happens for someone who's not been a Trek fan before.

There's def some good episodes in the first 3 but it's sandwiched with so much cringey filler poo poo.

Even the camp stuff in season 4 works because the actors are obviously having a great time with it and going all in, "Our Man Bashir" (holodeck Bond knockoff) and "Shattered Mirror" (evil character alternative universe!) are great for this.

I'm in kind of a weird boat with this because I watched TNG and Voyager religiously as they came out when I was younger, but I had this adamant total rejection of DS9 (likely due to first season awkwardness) and refused to ever watch it after a few episodes. Now I've got 3 seasons more of primo Star Trek totally unwatched, no idea what's going to happen and it's actually surprisingly good.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Well in case anyone was wondering, Klingon males either have two dicks or two pee holes in their dick.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Finally an episode true to Roddenberry's vision.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Season finale gets 2 out of 5 piss streams.

Enterprise looked cool. Sort of like a cross between the original, the refit, and a little JJ trek thrown in.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

hot Klingon dual-stream piss,

thread title

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Smythe posted:

thread title

you have the power

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The two disparate sides of Belanna Torres are Spicy Latina and human. Infinite diversity in infinite combinations. Also, gently caress Voyager and everyone involved real hard.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Well discovery went out with a complete whimper.

What an incredibly badly paced episode with a bad setup and soft cock resolution.

Its almost like they knew it was too and threw in the Enterprise tease right at the end to try and save it from complete nerd meltdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

There was a rumor floating around that the new Star Trek series would be an anthology like American Crime/Horror Story. Seems unlikely now but this reboot could use a reboot.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 12, 2018