Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

The banner from skeletons or zombies would go well with the banshee or just adding morale losses on your alpha strike, but yeah dire wolves might be the best option.

If GW doesn’t get more dire wolves in stock soon (I like that old sculpt) I’m going to get some Chaos Warhounds and make some dire wolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure I have ten already, I bought a big lot off a guy a few years ago and I think they are in there.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Man I spent $85 to get the MP book, cards, white dorf, and the goblin

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I need to get MP, Death Battletome and I want to get the Knight of Shrouds at some point, but he is just too expensive for what he brings and I am not rich yet.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
What's the "normal" size game for AOS? Also, if I include Wardrummers and Icon bearers, do those replace weapons or are they additive?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Strobe posted:

What's the "normal" size game for AOS? Also, if I include Wardrummers and Icon bearers, do those replace weapons or are they additive?

1000 to 2000 is what I recall.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
1,000 is nice and quick but limited in the toys you can bring. 1,500 is great if you only do 2 Battleline units.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

muggins posted:

Man I spent $85 to get the MP book, cards, white dorf, and the goblin

the shareholders thank you

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Strobe posted:

The models with those upgrades are assumed to still have their basic wargear

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Are Sylvaneth in a lovely place currently? I have been trying to find battle reports from them post-Kurnoth-Hunter nerf, and not having much luck.

I keep reading that Tzeentch/Kharadron are basically unbeatable (for Sylvaneth).

Most of the lists I see from the last 6 months are this crazy Spite Revevant list, or tons of Dryads and a Luminark of Hysh.

Disclaimer: I never get to actually play games, but the thought of a good army helps me stay motivated while painting.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 10, 2018

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I haven't heard anything about Kharadrons being OP, but Tzeentch has been hosed up ever since GW decided that spamming unsaveable damage was their gimmick. Sylvaneth have a roster about on par with the naked dwarves so I imagine they're not on top of the competitive scene.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

The Deleter posted:

I haven't heard anything about Kharadrons being OP, but Tzeentch has been hosed up ever since GW decided that spamming unsaveable damage was their gimmick. Sylvaneth have a roster about on par with the naked dwarves so I imagine they're not on top of the competitive scene.

Nagash in his battalion with a stack of Morghasts should be a solid counter to DoT mortal spam. Someone did the math and he shrugs off something like 75% of all mortal wounds.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So after reading through the fluff portion of the Malign Portents campaign book I have two thoughts

1. GW are trying really really hard to unfuck the setting with this book, I could go into more specifics if people care but I'll sum it by saying that Malign Portents feels more like something with the name 'Warhammer' should than anything I've read about AoS up to this point.

2. This book feels very much like a "volume 1" of a multipart series, nothing gets resolved at all, everything is set up. This is perfectly fine provided they actually plan on resolving it, I very much expect a second book at some point.

One other thing I should mention is that I'm pretty sure Nagash's master plan was already revealed in 'Lord of Undeath' since he reveals at the end that the point of the black pyramid is claim every single soul that dies in Shyish for Nagash regardless of any other claim on it (Sigmar, Chaos God, Other Necromancer, doesn't matter). Which makes everyone dogpiling into Shyish seem like its playing straight into his hands provided that is still canon.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Good. Maybe he'll use that to remake his Tomb Kings.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here are the details of the new campaign.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/02/11/the-dawn-of-the-dread-solsticegw-homepage-post-1/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
In interesting news. A new Gotrek and Felix book is coming.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 12, 2018

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

In interesting news. A new Gotrek and Feilix book is coming.

Whaaaaaaaat?

Where are you seeing this at?

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

MonsterEnvy posted:

In interesting news. A new Gotrek and Feilix book is coming.

I would not put it past GW naming conventions to title a book Realmslayer, totally forgetting about their previous X-Slayer franchise.

Ryalmslayerr Bloodfyre, fallen Fyreslayer riding a Bloodcrusher in service to the Bloodbound Legion.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
No it's confirmed to be a Gotrek and Felix thing.

quote:

Fabled hero of the Warhammer Old World, Gotrek Gurnisson is reborn and cast into the Age of Sigmar for a brand-new, feature-length audio adventure.

Gotrek Gurnisson was the greatest monster slayer of the age, who met his doom at the End Times. The heroic Dwarf stepped forth into the Realm of Chaos to fight the daemons gnawing at the world's ending and satisfy his death oath, leaving behind his companion Felix Jaeger. Now Gotrek has returned, having outlived the old gods and the Old World. Spat from the ruinous depths with his redemption unfulfilled, he emerges into the Mortal Realms, a strange new world where gods walk the earth and dark forces are ascendant. Nothing is as he remembers. His oaths are dust, and the lands are torn asunder by Chaos. Yet when Gotrek learns of human champions being elevated to immortality for Sigmar’s fight against this darkness, the so-called 'Stormcast Eternals', he knows why fate has brought him into this new age. To find Felix. For only then can he find the peace in death he seeks. But is there more to Gotrek's apotheosis than even he can fathom? Has he truly been chosen by Grimnir and for what purpose?

This audio drama boxed set contains a four-part story read by a stellar cast, recounting the much anticipated return of Gotrek Gurnisson.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1784967866/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1518387524&sr=1-10

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I might actually have to get that.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

That actually sounds interesting, though I doubt in the grand scheme of things that Felix was even a blip on Sigmar's radar when he was recreating things.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zark the Damned posted:

That actually sounds interesting, though I doubt in the grand scheme of things that Felix was even a blip on Sigmar's radar when he was recreating things.

From Spear of Shadows:

quote:

It was a rowdy patch of alehouses and cheap eateries, where young blades from the Noble Quarter went to indulge in licentious behaviour, and would-be revolutionaries plotted against the Grand Conclave. A statue weathered to featurelessness marked the largest crossing – the Jaeger for whom the area had been named, possibly.

He was a blip on someone's radar...

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So how are people using the new MP rules? I'm kinda curious how its working out, especially since the prophecy system seems like an interesting way to bring more depth to AoS in the same way Strategems do for 40k.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I haven't bought the MP book so I'm not sure what any of the new rules are.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The biggest thing is the Malign Portents themselves, which are essentially bundles of 40k strategiems. You generate Prophecy Points during army construction and can spend them on these game effects as you play. In GW fashion, the four heroes they've pushed for the campaign (Lord-Ordinator, Warqueen, Cave Shaman and Knight of Shrouds) and the Warscryer Citadel terrain piece also generate points, and the heroes also come with their own bundles of strategems.

The book also includes some rules for playing in the spooky lands and a ton of fluff about how Nagash is totally coming back you guys, we're all hosed.

It's good motivation to paint up the rest of my stuff, though I have lost a Liberator to his hammer snapping off in the case. I'm hoping to finish a relictor, three prosecutors and ten Liberators before I purchase anything else.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 13, 2018

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Are these only used during Malign Portents games then I assume?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
They can be used whenever but presumably GW is assuming they're going to be mostly used in a Death/Malign Portents themed campaign.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah I meant more that they aren't getting baked into your typical tournament packet.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

S.J. posted:

Yeah I meant more that they aren't getting baked into your typical tournament packet.

Unless the prophecy system catches on. Before MP came out there were some competitive corners of the community that they might be a worthwhile addition to matched play. I don't know how that discussion has progressed since MP's release.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I played a Malign Portents 1000 point 3 player game on Saturday and it was fun.

The 2 matched play battleplans in the book change the points accrual to a straight 3 per 500 points instead of a dice roll and the option for both players to agree to bring in a free harbinger each (Chaos and Destruction get +3 points if you do, since theirs are weaker I guess)

I like the Realm of Death rules and the Portents but my fear the last few weeks has been that no one will use it because tournaments almost certainly won’t, like Firestorm stuff. But since this book is a lot cheaper than Firestorm and gives stuff to everyone so maybe it will catch on.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I should also note that the Prophecy Point reset each round so you should use them. As points you don't spend are wasted.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I'm thinking about dipping in my toe, and it turns out there are several local players with my first choice, Death. Tell me about mortals of Tzeentch?

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Beerdeer posted:

I'm thinking about dipping in my toe, and it turns out there are several local players with my first choice, Death. Tell me about mortals of Tzeentch?

1) Always go with your first choice. Painting is fun, but it can also be a slog sometimes. You want an army that grabs you
2) Disciples of Tzeentch is an amazing faction. There’s a wide and recently updated model range. You can ally in wider slaves to darkness / other chaos stuff if you like those models too. There’s lots of fun interplay between units. Destiny Dice is an interesting resource mechanic. A mixture of Daemons and non-Daemons works best probably. Keeping your heroes alive might be tricky so you’ll need a few of them.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
New Malign Portents story.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Some more Sylvaneth WIP

https://twitter.com/amrypooins/status/963477580610490369

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Those look fantastic.

Also: are all the big monsters on the 170mm oval bases? I'm picking up a Hellpit Abomination but it's got the old square base.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

S.J. posted:

Those look fantastic.

Also: are all the big monsters on the 170mm oval bases? I'm picking up a Hellpit Abomination but it's got the old square base.

When in doubt, this is the base size bible as far as I can see:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ohYLSaHzf8v5FM7Luou-wNtA5YEPv9DkglbrO_n9ukk/edit?usp=sharing

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

S.J. posted:

Those look fantastic.

Depends on the size of the monster, I think the hellpit used to be on the 100/150 square(Edit I was wrong it was on the smaller 60x100), so I'd use a 105x70 or the 120x92 if you want more room on the base.

The 170x105 is giant, I wouldn't use that

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Tale of Love.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/02/14/tale-love-mortal-realmsgw-homepage-post-2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Black_Nexus posted:

Depends on the size of the monster, I think the hellpit used to be on the 100/150 square(Edit I was wrong it was on the smaller 60x100), so I'd use a 105x70 or the 120x92 if you want more room on the base.

The 170x105 is giant, I wouldn't use that

Neat, thanks guys

e: no listing on that file for hellpit womp womp. Just gonna pick up the 120.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 14, 2018

• Locked thread