Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'll say this for cannons, both Dwarf and Empire variants: they're an artillery piece that you basically take to ensure a target unit is either bloodied or routing by the time they reach your lines. Having a unit that stops being useful the moment melee hits because you might not have a good firing angle anymore arguably sounds like a waste, but if the target unit is a particularly dangerous one (heavy cavalry, monster, super-heavy infantry, artillery battery), it might just be worth it so the rest of your army won't have to worry about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
In campaign cannons are also your best tower and wall busting units in sieges. If you want to sit back and let your other ranged/artillery work over the defenders you bring cannons to remove towers and eventually punch holes in walls to let your infantry through.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Cannons get plenty of kills if you set them up right, they are a totally viable alternative to the helstorm and mortars. Against infantry they kill with each hit so they can accumulate quite a lot of kills over time. I stopped using the helstorm because I got annoyed by the ai's dodging behaviour so I brought trio of cannon units instead, I didn't overly miss the helstorm's and it was fun blasting down the walls in sieges.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

albany academy posted:

Is there a mod that gives the unique minor brettonian lords some (better) unique traits?

There is. Though you may consider it a bit overdone with everything it adds. It's a cool one, though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

toasterwarrior posted:

I'll say this for cannons, both Dwarf and Empire variants: they're an artillery piece that you basically take to ensure a target unit is either bloodied or routing by the time they reach your lines. Having a unit that stops being useful the moment melee hits because you might not have a good firing angle anymore arguably sounds like a waste, but if the target unit is a particularly dangerous one (heavy cavalry, monster, super-heavy infantry, artillery battery), it might just be worth it so the rest of your army won't have to worry about them.

You can keep your cannons firing once your front line is engaged relatively safely if you coordinate the positioning and facing of both.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 10, 2018

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hills are valuable for keeping your guns shooting in melee.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also, if you park your lord in front of a gun unit, ideally with melee on his flanks to checkerboard, this is great way to annihilate an (AI) enemy lord as the whole unit will be able to unload on him if he tries to duel. If they don’t take the bait then you’ll still delete whatever unit hits that part of the line and then the lord and guns can flank.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

jokes posted:

Hexoatl, like the noble greenskin, is doomed to disfavorable autoresolve calculations, probably because they don't have good answers to a strong ranged line.

It's very sad.

The Noble Greenskinz rule half the world in most games now.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Weird, who plays Empire for Artillery when Skaven just do it all but better

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Eej posted:

Weird, who plays Empire for Artillery when Skaven just do it all but better

I loving hate the food system tbqh, and empire has a much more fun and varied start than basically anyone else

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Senor Dog posted:

I loving hate the food system tbqh, and empire has a much more fun and varied start than basically anyone else

Personally I think Skarsnik and Vortex Skrolk have the best starts.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, if you park your lord in front of a gun unit, ideally with melee on his flanks to checkerboard, this is great way to annihilate an (AI) enemy lord as the whole unit will be able to unload on him if he tries to duel. If they don’t take the bait then you’ll still delete whatever unit hits that part of the line and then the lord and guns can flank.

What's checkerboarding?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mzbundifund posted:

What's checkerboarding?

Setting up your lines of units so that there's gaps between them where units like cannons or handgunners can shoot through unobstructed.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

Personally I think Skarsnik and Vortex Skrolk have the best starts.

Skarsnik is definitely fun as hell. I'm playing through a skrolk vortex now and the campaign is just not clicking with me despite liking skaven a lot in battles.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SHISHKABOB posted:

Setting up your lines of units so that there's gaps between them where units like cannons or handgunners can shoot through unobstructed.

Yeah, just stick your lord in one of the gaps as if your gun unit was about to firing squad him. Unlike when a whole unit is blocking them, they'll happily blast away through a character and the character doesn't really take friendly fire.

I wish confederation worked... differently. As Thorgrim a Belegar with Eight Peaks and a bunch of other cities confederated happily but Barak Varr with one city won't. We were all allied up so it wasn't just that. I need your port dickheads.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 11, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

True gun masters use a checkerboard of chevrons, apparently, but actually getting your stupid handgunners to fire is still annoying. In theory, though, it would be amazing, as it uses the same principle as a star fort.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
What is a checkered chevron?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend using a gunner heavy army at all. I wouldn't bring more than 1 or 2 of them as a utility, and a checkerboard pattern would actually make the bug that cripples them worse. Here's a video that shows the problem with any gun unit right now: https://vimeo.com/245228590

They try to aim for the center mass of a unit exclusively. If they can't hit it, they'll start to run forward. In game 1 they were able to hit the wings of a unit if the center was obstructed but now they don't. You can still use them to shoot large targets over the heads of your infantry and on the flanks but they take a lot more babysitting just to get them to work.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ynglaur posted:

What is a checkered chevron?

More or less this:

The enemy either engages your front line, letting your guns freely shoot into them, or they go for the guns and get melted by concentrated fire.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Thanks!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like the pike and shot feel.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Arglebargle III posted:

I like the pike and shot feel.

Same but there is no way I'd play with shot until that bug is fixed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Speaking of shot, has anyone done Empire with Mixu's LLs? It makes all the counts + Marienburg have unique lords with traits. It seems like it'd be fun to confederate up your imperial pokedex like how TKs get to do with their mini-LLs, and the different boosts would encourage unique army comps.

E: except good luck confederating anyone before the rampaging beastmen and savage orcs burn the whole empire down thanks to crysnos

That single dumb addition almost ruin the thing.

E2: I tried tonight and yeah beastmen are loving poo poo up. Crysnos claims to have not altered them but Nordland and Top Knots are both instakills every time I started and then they start torching the empire and badlands while the ai sits there doing gently caress all to stop them. Usually beastmen ai is like a wet fart. Does anyone know what's going on with that?

It's kinda lame bc interacting with ruined wastelands is no fun and the ai beastmen still die like idiots when you finally catch their stack.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 11, 2018

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
When you mouse over the little picture for the climate of a settlement the tooltip should tell you what the freaking climate is called.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
It might have been mentioned already, but Steel Faith's update for Tomb Kings has been interesting. They've made basic skeletons pretty competent in terms of melee attack and defense, but have low HP and weapon damage. Skeleton Spearmen are pretty good line holders now. Nehekaran Warriors got more specialized by having smaller overall numbers and HP, but better attack and weapon damage. They don't fully replace Skeleton Warriors like they did before. They made the Hierotitan even slower to the point that while tanky pretty much any unit can disengage it. And Realm of Souls was given bonus vigor to your army each time it procs, as well as having the heal last progressively longer on each tier.

They also

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Speaking of shot, has anyone done Empire with Mixu's LLs? It makes all the counts + Marienburg have unique lords with traits. It seems like it'd be fun to confederate up your imperial pokedex like how TKs get to do with their mini-LLs, and the different boosts would encourage unique army comps.

E: except good luck confederating anyone before the rampaging beastmen and savage orcs burn the whole empire down thanks to crysnos

That single dumb addition almost ruin the thing.

E2: I tried tonight and yeah beastmen are loving poo poo up. Crysnos claims to have not altered them but Nordland and Top Knots are both instakills every time I started and then they start torching the empire and badlands while the ai sits there doing gently caress all to stop them. Usually beastmen ai is like a wet fart. Does anyone know what's going on with that?

It's kinda lame bc interacting with ruined wastelands is no fun and the ai beastmen still die like idiots when you finally catch their stack.

I just had a Tretch game I had to quit after 50 turns because Beastmen had literally wiped Not-Canada clean, and I couldn't expand because they would murder any armies I moved out of my starting province.

EDIT: Also running Crysnos.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
They also get less punishing rebellions which is nice. Overall it makes them easier to use though considering many other races get considerable improvements with the mod they kind of need it. And unlike Radious there aren't a whole bunch of new units added.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Devorum posted:

I just had a Tretch game I had to quit after 50 turns because Beastmen had literally wiped Not-Canada clean, and I couldn't expand because they would murder any armies I moved out of my starting province.

EDIT: Also running Crysnos.

Yeah I did a few abortive starts and started sending an agent to check it out over there. AI Tretch and Khatep stand no chance.

Also, more races should get crafting or even something like the Vaul rite, instead of just random loot all the time. Especially dwarfs. Make a basic, super cheap runic item you can craft for each slot (with runelords/smiths having a blue skill to make it cheaper/better), equip it to your dude, and then spend resources/gold/have buildings to customize it like they could on tabletop. It was really fun theorycrafting crazy rune combos.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
For Dwarfs they could have the tier 5 Runeforge building unlock the crafting system for them. Unlike Tomb Kings just having a trade good building wouldn't cut it, you'd have to have be generating, say, 50 iron ingots a turn to unlock it. Some might even have 'upkeep' in the form of tying up some of your trade goods every turn ; like modifying a cannon to shoot diamonds as ammunition or something.

Then you'd have the Rune mods which could let you modify existing artifacts to add additional properties to them ; another 5 armor or missile resist to an armor item, +10% fire damage to all flame units in the army, etc.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
More commentary this time the matches of nanomachoes vs JBP and Gejnor vs Gamerofthegame. Pretty one-sided overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYg7GdcGOjg

Mukip fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 11, 2018

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I think I've seen some dudes asking for modding advice re: crafting mechanics for the other races on Reddit, so expect one in the near future.

Also, putting this out here: after seeing what Thrones of Britannia is doing for the retinue/inventory system, the one in Warhammer sucks because it's so discouraging to interact with. Not just because the bonuses for most items/retinues are lame or pathetic compared to a few, but also because organizing them when you're in the mid/late-game and have dozens of items/followers piled up among 5 or 6 lords is a complete pain in the rear end.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

toasterwarrior posted:

I think I've seen some dudes asking for modding advice re: crafting mechanics for the other races on Reddit, so expect one in the near future.

Also, putting this out here: after seeing what Thrones of Britannia is doing for the retinue/inventory system, the one in Warhammer sucks because it's so discouraging to interact with. Not just because the bonuses for most items/retinues are lame or pathetic compared to a few, but also because organizing them when you're in the mid/late-game and have dozens of items/followers piled up among 5 or 6 lords is a complete pain in the rear end.

0 breweries in the empire but we sure needed to hire 16 +2% brewery income guys. They do overnight watch for the vault full of pigeon plucker pendants.
Hell even just smelting unwanted items into a pittance of gold would be neat. Skaven, VC and TK can do the same to followers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Haha Mukip, this empire army looks very, very unfortunate.

I thought Boris had regeneration. I'm sure I've chosen items and kit had them in the battle.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 12, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

JBP posted:

Haha Mukip, this empire army looks very, very unfortunate.

I thought Boris had regeneration. I'm sure I've chosen items and kit had them in the battle.

Boris can get regeneration from his Runefang in MP.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Am i going crazy (or suffering from severe narcisissm take your pick) or did you call JPB "gejnor" several times, Mukip?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Zore posted:

Boris can get regeneration from his Runefang in MP.

Yeah I'm sure I chose it. I'm sure I've selected other items with an active ability and not had them in mp too but I'm probably loving up.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Just an fyi, faction unlocker just got a patch to nerf raging beastmen, among other sundry tweaks and bug fixes

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Fuligin posted:

Just an fyi, faction unlocker just got a patch to nerf raging beastmen, among other sundry tweaks and bug fixes

I want to take a look at the Crynsos unlocker and see if I can just rip out all the stuff other than "faction unlocker" before it goes even crazier with turning a simple utility into an actual overhaul. I'm pretty sure it's harder than I'm willing to do because :effort: and because surely someone would have done it already

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Kaza42 posted:

I want to take a look at the Crynsos unlocker and see if I can just rip out all the stuff other than "faction unlocker" before it goes even crazier with turning a simple utility into an actual overhaul. I'm pretty sure it's harder than I'm willing to do because :effort: and because surely someone would have done it already

What else does it do? I thought it just unlocked the ability to play any faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

More or less this:

The enemy either engages your front line, letting your guns freely shoot into them, or they go for the guns and get melted by concentrated fire.

Thank you for this. What a nifty formation to use! New favorite.

You should definitely be able to do this with handgunners, I had a warpfire thrower get 120+ kills on swordmasters and white lions lmao.

Hidden star of that match was the warplock engineer I brought just in case we needed howling warpgale (we didn't). His ability to give a unit a shield helped keep skrolk alive while 3 high elf archers shot at him, and then the warpstone armor killed off enough dragon princes to win the match.

also has anyone ever made the joke "qawat al-NIMH" allow me to be the first

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 12, 2018