Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

OutofSight posted:

Lets hope they hire someone until then, who knows how fun and interesting level design looks.

yeah.

wish someone that actually "got" darksouls/bloodborne would make a ripoff but alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Plan Z posted:

So I'm currently playing DS3 for the first time and I don't know if I borked a quest or not.

So I sent Greirat out to Irithyll, then made sure that I had Siegward in place so that he could rescue Greirat. Siegward was in the kitchen, and I went through all dialogue with him and then checked with Patches to make sure I didn't goof up. I beat Pontiff before I went to the dungeon, and Greirat is neither in Firelink, nor do I have his ashes. Someone said beating a boss will trigger but I beat the Old Demon King and still no Greirat in Firelink. Did I goof up the quest?

edit: Nvm, went back and I did bork the quest.

Did you go to the dungeon bonfire before beating another boss?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah.

wish someone that actually "got" darksouls/bloodborne would make a ripoff but alas.

Last night I ragequit Nioh to replay DKS3 instead.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

suuma posted:

Last night I ragequit Nioh to replay DKS3 instead.

I love so much about nioh that the parts I don't like -- level design and a handful of the enemies -- REALLY stick out as terrible in comparison to the rest of the game.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Platypus Farm posted:

I love so much about nioh that the parts I don't like -- level design and a handful of the enemies -- REALLY stick out as terrible in comparison to the rest of the game.

Nioh is so strange because the combat feels so good, but everything else feels so bad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
sorcerer builds are good but respec for the moonlight greatsword imo unless they nerfed it badly since i last played

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
moonlight is fine but if you just to go pure caster thats fine too. the moonlight might need you to sacrifice a few stats if you go for the 125 lvl meta.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
What are some good levels to hit for a PvP focused sorcerer? I'm 32 at the moment, grabbed the golden scroll and the sage's scroll. Just beat the crystal sage and I'm unsure of where to go next.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Platypus Farm posted:

The levels are rather samey, for sure. That and the fact that there's 6 enemy types and I keep dying to dumb poo poo (of my own fault) just made me want to stop wasting my time with it, since I wasn't really enjoying it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Plan Z posted:

So I'm currently playing DS3 for the first time and I don't know if I borked a quest or not.

So I sent Greirat out to Irithyll, then made sure that I had Siegward in place so that he could rescue Greirat. Siegward was in the kitchen, and I went through all dialogue with him and then checked with Patches to make sure I didn't goof up. I beat Pontiff before I went to the dungeon, and Greirat is neither in Firelink, nor do I have his ashes. Someone said beating a boss will trigger but I beat the Old Demon King and still no Greirat in Firelink. Did I goof up the quest?

edit: Nvm, went back and I did bork the quest.

Personally, I think the Dark Souls 3 NPC quests are the worst in the series. People complained about the ones in the other games being weird and arcane bullshit to trigger them; but that's truer than ever about 3. Where NPCs will just gently caress off forever if you don't rest at bonfires enough, kill bosses too fast and even if you do every step perfectly occasionally just vanish into the ether because you farted in the wind on a tuesday in june. Last playthrough I did, Anri just got stuck in the catacombs for no reason. Never went to look for her buddy, never showed up in irithyll. Just never moved. I don't know why. But it meant I couldn't finish that other lady's quest line on that playthrough or ever get Chameleon.

Jose posted:

sorcerer builds are good but respec for the moonlight greatsword imo unless they nerfed it badly since i last played
Moonlight is good, but imo it's really boring. I don't go wizard just so I can swing another sword around like I do on my STR playthrough. If I'm going wizard I'm going to be rocking staves in two hands and casting spells at people forever.

Anyway; I started my Dark Souls playthrough and after having not played in in over a year. It's way easier than I remember. I punched the asylum demon to death without getting hit. Apparently there are still people playing this game too, because I'm seeing a ton of little ghost shadows everywhere I go.

EDIT:
This was kind of spooky. The elevator up to firelink glitched on me.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 9, 2018

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

lambskin posted:

What are some good levels to hit for a PvP focused sorcerer? I'm 32 at the moment, grabbed the golden scroll and the sage's scroll. Just beat the crystal sage and I'm unsure of where to go next.

The best (only) way to be successful as a PvP sorcerer is to go back in time to Dark Souls 2.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

This playthrough, Greirat was not in his cell in the beginning. I went to a bonfire, and straight back to him, and found ashes in his spot. The cell was just empty the first time I showed up. No idea what happened.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Day Man posted:

This playthrough, Greirat was not in his cell in the beginning. I went to a bonfire, and straight back to him, and found ashes in his spot. The cell was just empty the first time I showed up. No idea what happened.

This sounds like a one-in-a-million clipping issue where Greirat spawned, fell out of the world, and died before you ever saw him.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Tarezax posted:

This sounds like a one-in-a-million clipping issue where Greirat spawned, fell out of the world, and died before you ever saw him.

I looked online, and there are sporadic reports of it happening to others. I'm guessing a bug of some sort, like you suggest.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Jesus Christ. I killed at least 150 storytellers, from my souls carried, and not a single staff. From could have been a bit more generous with drop rates. Only got 2 hollow gems from all that killing, too. Got summoned twice as a blue during that time. Once was someone with a friendly red that was just hanging out watching his red kill people, and I got 1-shot by a regular R1 having 20 vit at level 15 and +1 weapons. Another time was some kicking rad red phantom wearing Gotthard's hat and some fancy cape, using a whip with poison resin and a Corvian Greatknife just styling all over the place. He killed me, a sunbro, and the host as far as I saw.

Just having a +1 dagger and Great Combustion isn't great.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Maleh-Vor posted:

From could have been a bit more generous with drop rates.

Channeler's Trident in DS1 history repeating

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

Channeler's Trident in DS1 history repeating

I was determined to get every item in Dark Souls 2 because I had nothing else to do before the DLC dropped. So I farmed a lot of ascetics so I could farm the ONE phantom that dropped the aurous armor, the alternate version of lucatiel's sword and the guy who dropped that stupid hat at the gate before the final boss. Dark Souls 3 needed more garbage like that.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Maleh-Vor posted:

Jesus Christ. I killed at least 150 storytellers, from my souls carried, and not a single staff. From could have been a bit more generous with drop rates. Only got 2 hollow gems from all that killing, too. Got summoned twice as a blue during that time. Once was someone with a friendly red that was just hanging out watching his red kill people, and I got 1-shot by a regular R1 having 20 vit at level 15 and +1 weapons. Another time was some kicking rad red phantom wearing Gotthard's hat and some fancy cape, using a whip with poison resin and a Corvian Greatknife just styling all over the place. He killed me, a sunbro, and the host as far as I saw.

Just having a +1 dagger and Great Combustion isn't great.

What system are you on? Also have you been using coins?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Day Man posted:

This happened to me, and it was kind of creepy. I was half expecting a never before seen assassin show up and run out of the cell.

E: here’s my post from back in 2016 about it.

hanales posted:

Something I just learned.

Just starting a new char, beat vordt, I'm like "oh I'll run and unlock greirat. all the enemies are dead it will save me some time later".

Go down open the cell door, he's not there.

Ok I think "Maybe he doesn't spawn until you've been flown over". So I do, warp back.

Just his ashes and the ring are there. :stare:

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Cuchulain posted:

What system are you on? Also have you been using coins?
I'm on PC.
It's still very early in the game, I rushed to Road of Sacrifices in hope of doing most of the game with the staff. So far, I've got 0 magic find items. I'm thinking of at least going to kill Sage and Cursewood so I can make the rapier, but I know that barely makes a difference.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

Maleh-Vor posted:

I'm on PC.
It's still very early in the game, I rushed to Road of Sacrifices in hope of doing most of the game with the staff. So far, I've got 0 magic find items. I'm thinking of at least going to kill Sage and Cursewood so I can make the rapier, but I know that barely makes a difference.

I think you can buy coins from patches, so you could also do the beginning of siegward's questline and just run past everything in the cathedral until you can get him as a merchant. having that and the rapier would definitely improve the grind

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
I don't know if anyone's covered it before in this thread but I'm having two technical issues with DS3 on my PC, both present since I started playing (I'm up to Pontiff Sulyvahn now)

Multiplayer issues:

I have no problems with getting summoned to help others (both via sign and via Blue Sentinels covenant, though Blue Sentinels is quite rare).
However, I can't summon anyone, and I think nobody can invade me.

Whenever I try to summon anyone, I wait a while and end up with a 'Unable to Summon Phantom' message (unless it's an NPC summon)
When someone tries to invade, my soapstone becomes unavailable and fog walls pop up for a while, but after waiting for a time the fog walls disappear and my white soapstone becomes available again. Nobody except NPC phantoms have ever invaded me.

I have a broadband cable connection and tend to get decent speeds.
I don't use any mods and never have (after my experience getting softbanned in DS2)
I use Windows Firewall but have allowed Dark Souls III through both private and public.
I also went into the admin for my Broadcom router's NAT settings and set up forwarding for all the recommended ports (which I THINK I did correctly) as per Bamco's suggestions:
TCP: 27014-27050,50050
UDP: 3478,4379-4380,27000-27030,50000-50003

Problem still remains unchanged after the above steps.

Sound Issues:

My ambient sound doesn't seem to loop properly. It cuts out and then starts back up again.

I'm using a HyperX surround sound headset. I've tried disabling all other sound devices as per recommendations I read online but this hasn't made a difference.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and actually managed to fix them? I've searched multiple sites on line and had no luck with the suggested solutions.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Just figured out that besides War Cry changing your heavy attack when using battle axe, it also changes heavy rolling attack into a sick looking drag your axe along the ground to uppercut move

Does Great Club also have special roll attack?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Soul Reaver posted:

I don't know if anyone's covered it before in this thread but I'm having two technical issues with DS3 on my PC, both present since I started playing (I'm up to Pontiff Sulyvahn now)

Multiplayer issues:

I have no problems with getting summoned to help others (both via sign and via Blue Sentinels covenant, though Blue Sentinels is quite rare).
However, I can't summon anyone, and I think nobody can invade me.

Whenever I try to summon anyone, I wait a while and end up with a 'Unable to Summon Phantom' message (unless it's an NPC summon)
When someone tries to invade, my soapstone becomes unavailable and fog walls pop up for a while, but after waiting for a time the fog walls disappear and my white soapstone becomes available again. Nobody except NPC phantoms have ever invaded me.

I have a broadband cable connection and tend to get decent speeds.
I don't use any mods and never have (after my experience getting softbanned in DS2)
I use Windows Firewall but have allowed Dark Souls III through both private and public.
I also went into the admin for my Broadcom router's NAT settings and set up forwarding for all the recommended ports (which I THINK I did correctly) as per Bamco's suggestions:
TCP: 27014-27050,50050
UDP: 3478,4379-4380,27000-27030,50000-50003

Problem still remains unchanged after the above steps.

Sound Issues:

My ambient sound doesn't seem to loop properly. It cuts out and then starts back up again.

I'm using a HyperX surround sound headset. I've tried disabling all other sound devices as per recommendations I read online but this hasn't made a difference.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and actually managed to fix them? I've searched multiple sites on line and had no luck with the suggested solutions.

I had similar problems on my Xbone with regards to summoning/being summoned. The only real "fix" was resetting the router, which worked for a couple hours until I left the game and came back to it later. No network issues in other games, my router is set up to play nice with Microsoft.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

What's the consensus on the season pass / DLC?

I'm finishing a replay of vanilla and am not sure whether it's really worth buying full price DLC. This is on PC. Is the community more active there than in base game? Are the zones neater?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

pmchem posted:

I'm finishing a replay of vanilla and am not sure whether it's really worth buying full price DLC. This is on PC. Is the community more active there than in base game? Are the zones neater?

The DLC has some of the best bosses and some neat levels as well as some bullshit hard stuff, but given that it's integrated into the game, it's the exact same community, neither more nor less active.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

pmchem posted:

One of the zones is kind of lame, one of them is really cool and fun to PVP in imo. Ashes was lackluster as a whole but has some cool fights and is neat your first time through but after that rapidly becomes a bit of a slog. It's very short. Also there's a PVP arena tied to it. Ringed City is great with distinct and unique visuals, some fun enemy types and a great boss.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Nuebot posted:

One of the zones is kind of lame, one of them is really cool and fun to PVP in imo. Ashes was lackluster as a whole but has some cool fights and is neat your first time through but after that rapidly becomes a bit of a slog. It's very short. Also there's a PVP arena tied to it. Ringed City is great with distinct and unique visuals, some fun enemy types and a great boss.

It's not tied to Ashes, it's available to anyone who owns either of the DLCs

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
They both share a story and it starts and ends in ashes though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No agony the series has ever pit me against (or any other game) compares to playing through DeS with the current server issues/stuttering sound/frame drops, especially coming from PC. Lord Jesus I can't wait to start DaS back on my desktop instead of this loving Casio watch calculator processor junkstation3

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I've tried both a Claymore knight and a pyro until halfway through the Undead settlement. For the knight I feel like I more or less know what to do. With the pyro I have no idea. What do you even put points in except the main attributes?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

genericnick posted:

I've tried both a Claymore knight and a pyro until halfway through the Undead settlement. For the knight I feel like I more or less know what to do. With the pyro I have no idea. What do you even put points in except the main attributes?

Intelligence and faith for damage scaling, endurance and attunement for staying power, enough strength and dex to wield your weapon of choice (hopefully not very much). But as usual vigor should come first.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
once you can go to smouldering lake and murder old demon king the game becomes really easy bc chaos bed vestiges is crazy

noether
May 1, 2017

genericnick posted:

keep on the lookout for dark and chaos gems for your weapons. once you have a comfortable amount of vigor, the rest of your stats will be spread really thin in str, dex, int, and fth by necessity. however, those infusions make that kind of super-quality build do good damage.

to really get the pyro going, you need to track down cornyx in the settlement and grab the great swamp pyromancy tome in the crucifixion woods. you ought to be able to get that stuff relatively easily from where you are right now.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

feelix posted:

It's not tied to Ashes, it's available to anyone who owns either of the DLCs

Is it? I honestly didn't know you could get the champion's bone or whatever in Ringed City. Good to know.

noether
May 1, 2017

Nuebot posted:

Is it? I honestly didn't know you could get the champion's bone or whatever in Ringed City. Good to know.

apparently you can also get it from lapp's quest

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

lambskin posted:

90/125/140+ ime.

The white tree in the poison swamp has good sorceror stuff.

Pve: crystal spells and the two great soul arrows, hidden body, cast light (best spell)

Pvp: normal homing soul mass, farron dart and flashsword, the two greatsword spells, annoying poo poo like crystal and farron hail (plus a big hitter for group fights when an opponent is distracted)

Speed>damage and light roll is p helpful. Also if u get the faith requirements for the candlestick it is actually OP.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Cleric's Candlestick R1 into Farron Flashsword into Old Moonlight after they roll out is legit the sickest thing I've ever killed someone with in Dark Souls.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

noether posted:

apparently you can also get it from lapp's quest

That's actually really cool. I always thought you could only get it from the champion. And kind of gently caress that whole vine climb with rocket archers loving you thing.

Anyway;
Not that it matters to anyone much but I beat Dark Souls and am moving on to Dark Souls 2. I finally found a look that can be used across all three games.
Dark Souls, honestly hasn't aged that well I find. Cutting tails off of certain bosses (Seath and Kalameet) is a huge pain in the rear end and not even worth it because all the tail weapons are kind of garbage. The entire last like third of the game is just really unpleasent to play through compared to the rest - especially after you play through the DLC which is fantastic. PVP is more frustrating than fun, especially since rolling in the first game is basically just a death sentence rather than any means to dodge an attack. Enemies are very slow as well, and sparse. To the point where you don't even really have to sprint much outside of like blight town and Duke's Archives. I found you could mostly just bob and weave through dudes while walking and mostly avoid damage.
Bosses also suffer from a real lack of HP and interesting patterns. People can complain about 2's dudes in armor all they want but Kalameet was the only boss to survive more than like five hits other than the asylum demon. For all the issues with 2's homing detection and spinning knights - bosses in the first game do the exact same thing. Seath pivots on a dime. Kalameet rotates absurdly fast to keep facing you as well. The only bosses that don't really do this are the ones with janky AI and spammable AOE attacks like the asylum/stray/flame demon and Quelaag.
It's a spectacular foundation, but it's almost painful to play compared to the smooth gameplay of the later two. I am really looking forward to that artorias fight in the remaster though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Seath spinning in place is good practice for Dark Souls 2's "all enemys now wear rollerskates to avoid backstabs" design though.