Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I understand that in 2018 maybe there are games that should be ahead of Knack on people's backlogs. But at launch it had value, and I still think to this day that it is an enjoyable game. Zero irony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I understand that in 2018 maybe there are games that should be ahead of Knack on people's backlogs. But at launch it had value, and I still think to this day that it is an enjoyable game. Zero irony

I am genuinely surprised by how goddamn long this game is. the story just keeps spinning off into places, and my only real dislike is just how often the secret doors end up leading to some dumb thing like a small sun stone or a few relics

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Knack is legitimately not the worst first-party game on the Playstation 4, that belongs to either Killzone Shadow Fall or The Order: 1886

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The visual design just looks so cheap to me, like a copy of some more popular game you'd see on the iOS store or something. I never knew why, if it was supposed to be a system seller.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Well, the internet was a pretty different place in '05; from what I remember the reviewers docked it points for low frame rates at the time but the wider conversation among console game players focused very little on the frame rate, because we were all too used to bad frame rates back then. During the PS360 years frame rates became a big deal in online discussions because so many PS3 ports were lovely (looking at you Orange Box!)

Yeah I meant in magazines, with stuff like Elite, Starglider, Mercenary, etc. My point was that talking and complaining about frame rates is about as old as 3-d home computer video games.

e: RE: Knack I always thought it was a bit like Kameo on the Microsoft Xbox 360 home computer system. Not gameplay-wise (as far as I know) but just as a "why would anyone ever play this if there were other games available" launch title.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 12, 2018

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Knack is legitimately not the worst first-party game on the Playstation 4, that belongs to either Killzone Shadow Fall or The Order: 1886
Killzone 2 had the sickest multiplayer with 32 v 32 players, whatever happened to that? It's all six-person teams nowadays. Anyway, I got Shadow Fall for five dollars and am playing it now, it doesn't seem that bad.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I found Killzone: Shadow Fall to be pretty good, certainly much better than expected. A cut above Call of Duty campaigns. People were complaining about some scenes being very hard right at launch, but that was rectified very quickly. Pretty sure that's where most complaints about the game stem from.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah I played KZF at launch and enjoyed Knack more, so if they improved it, more power to them.

The Order can take the title of "poo poo garbage" all on its own

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Couple of thoughts on Shadow remake upon finishing. Any reservations I initially had about it were rubbish. It's basically perfect and they knocked it out of the park. I think they took the best possible approach and ended up with the highest quality, least polarizing product they could have made.

Still one of the best endings in a game.

Couple of things I hadn't thought about before Dormin is like, pretty loving weak? He gets his full form back and just gets owned by like 5 dudes immediately. His punches don't do anything and all it took to lock him away forever was throwing a sword in a pit. Makes you wonder why they needed the colossi in the first place. I wonder if that whole sequence was just to keep the narrative moving or if there is some significance to that. He does blow laser fire though which owns and is something I never noticed.

Also I forgot the horse survives.

The end credits music is awesome and very fitting and unique to the rest of the games music (which is also awesome obviously).

And it didn't give me the trophy for playing on hard :(

Wander took an arrow in the leg before "transforming" into Dormin and that wound carries over. It's why Dormin drags his leg after him and moves sluggishly. So wanders physical state affects Dormin and you can assume that given som R&R he would be up to snuff. I also considered Dormin closer to some sort of corrupting disease than an all powerful evil god, but it's been years since i played it so i don't remember why i thought that.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The Order 1886 is the single most boring video-game I have ever played

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Order 1886 is indirectly responsible for why Guerrilla went ahead with Horizon Zero Dawn instead of their other project with a neo-Victorian vampire and werewolves setting, so it has already served its purpose.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

But at launch it had value

It really did not.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CrRoMa posted:

The Order 1886 is the single most boring video-game I have ever played

My friend have you played a game called "Final Fantasy 13"

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

To say that Shadowfall is the worst is a bit of a stretch... Shadowfall Multiplayer was good and the single player was good too if you exclude the space station and the Old Helgan levels. Ok, save for some areas that were too hard the various set pieces were good. Environmental hazards, missions on the train, having to escape the new helgan prison, having to co-op with the helgan sniper lady... Technically Shadowfall was also a treat.

I think I need to redownload it and play it again sometimes.

Oh yes, and Shadowfall's story is still written better than Destiny 1 & 2.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Quantum of Phallus posted:

My friend have you played a game called "Final Fantasy 13"

Final Fantasy XV should have been a game centered on Sazh and his chocobo chick.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Samurai Sanders posted:

The visual design just looks so cheap to me, like a copy of some more popular game you'd see on the iOS store or something. I never knew why, if it was supposed to be a system seller.

I don't think any PS4 launch YEAR game was considered a system seller.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wasn’t The Order 1886 basically a glorified tech demo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got The Order for £7 and enjoyed it enough to get the platinum trophy, which took a whole 1 play through, which is more than I can say for Knack or Killlzone. It was still wasted potential: the videogame though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Order is legit one of my favorite games this generation and it’s even funny to me thinking about that fact.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Should I get it on sale? Every time I see it I'm like "no it is said to have no redeeming qualities".

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I forget what kind of deal I got The Order for but even at $10 it was worth the experience because it is unique, does a lot of cool poo poo, looks absolutely great. Or a dirt cheap rental since you guys can get those on that side of the Atlantic. Dickheads.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Kilometers Davis posted:

The Order is legit one of my favorite games this generation and it’s even funny to me thinking about that fact.

Lol, wut?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JBP posted:

Should I get it on sale? Every time I see it I'm like "no it is said to have no redeeming qualities".

Yes. I played it in one day and never picked it up again and it’s still one of my favorites. The gunplay is awesome, the graphics are some of the best you’ll ever see, the story and characters are super fun. It’s a great game.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

JBP posted:

It's only non-redeeming quality is how short it is. I thought everything else about it was pretty good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

limaCAT posted:

Final Fantasy XV should have been a game centered on Sazh and his chocobo chick.

Sazh, chocobo chick and Chocolina as party members

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Well poo poo. I guess I'll grab it next time I see it in the PSN $5 bin.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It’s a shame there likely won’t be a sequel. Double the length, open up the levels a bit, cut some of the presentation fat and it would be a huge IP for Sony.

Like I don’t want to start any dumb arguments but imo it got a massive amount of undeserved hate. There’s a reason it wasn’t accepted but it’s absolutely not a bad game.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Kilometers Davis posted:

It’s a shame there likely won’t be a sequel. Double the length, open up the levels a bit, cut some of the presentation fat and it would be a huge IP for Sony.

Like I don’t want to start any dumb arguments but imo it got a massive amount of undeserved hate. There’s a reason it wasn’t accepted but it’s absolutely not a bad game.

I 100% agree with you, and I really hope they make another game whether it's a sequel or something else within that world. Did someone from the studio explicitely say they had no plans for another game in the series?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah, I may give it a shot next time I see it on deep discount. Literally everyone I know poo poo all over it for being trash, even here on the forums goons were saying it was good graphically, but that's about it.

I guess if it's really not as bad as everyone made it out to be, I can lose an afternoon in it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

so many good games these past two years and people are asking if they should play Knack/The Order 1969\

smdh!!!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Order is gaming finally achieving the long-sought dream of a playable movie. Unfortunately that movie was Underworld.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Zipperelli. posted:

Yeah, I may give it a shot next time I see it on deep discount. Literally everyone I know poo poo all over it for being trash, even here on the forums goons were saying it was good graphically, but that's about it.

I guess if it's really not as bad as everyone made it out to be, I can lose an afternoon in it.

I’m telling you, it’s a super fun game to just bolt through. Take a lazy day or a weekend and binge it. It’s too short to get sick of and for me it was satisfying to embrace it as a playable movie.

If you dislike it now I’ll feel bad, haha. At least the sale prices are usually cheap enough to not hurt much

BisterdDave posted:

I 100% agree with you, and I really hope they make another game whether it's a sequel or something else within that world. Did someone from the studio explicitely say they had no plans for another game in the series?

I’m glad you agree. I just can’t imagine they would dump more money into the franchise considering it definitely wasn’t cheap. Who knows though. They might go for it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Order is fun the few times you get to use the cool weapons but that's like 5% of the game and the rest is walking down (nice looking) corridors or firing standard pistols and rifles.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I like the first Killzone for PS2. I played it on a friend's console and was the first time I used a controller to play an FPS. It felt weird for at the time someone that played all fps with mouse/kb since 1994 but the setting was kind of cool. I'm always tempted on getting a 2nd hand copy of shadowfall and hell, one of the few UMD games on my psp was Killzone (wich was a top-down shooter).

I've seen both The Order 1886 and Shadowfall go for 6-7€ on GAME and with the excuse of building a PS4 exclusive collection...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Order and Shadowfall will probably eventually make their way to PS+ after the highly anticipated KNACK 2 of course.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

I like the first Killzone for PS2. I played it on a friend's console and was the first time I used a controller to play an FPS. It felt weird for at the time someone that played all fps with mouse/kb since 1994 but the setting was kind of cool. I'm always tempted on getting a 2nd hand copy of shadowfall and hell, one of the few UMD games on my psp was Killzone (wich was a top-down shooter).

I've seen both The Order 1886 and Shadowfall go for 6-7€ on GAME and with the excuse of building a PS4 exclusive collection...

The killzone for the vita was actually amazing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

nerdz posted:

The killzone for the vita was actually amazing.

I still own Killzone Liberation for my old rear end PSP2000 and it was a great game. I really want to play the vita version but that seems hard unless I get my hands on one.

Killzone Liberation, Warhammer 40k Squad Command, Juiced 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance are my favourite psp games.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Guillermus posted:

I still own Killzone Liberation for my old rear end PSP2000 and it was a great game. I really want to play the vita version but that seems hard unless I get my hands on one.

I’ll sell you my OG Vita with Killzone + a big memory card of a size I can’t remember if you’re interested

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
1886 is 10x the game Knack is. Knack is bad, you guys. It’s like if Crash Bandicoot had even more bullshit and fewer redeeming character traits.

Reread that.

The Order:1886 has so much potential but it flopped because the game was absolutely billed for its Neo-Victorian horror setting, and the game itself focuses on a human uprising that very minimally incorporates the supernatural elements. There are only a handful of werewolves in the game and their encounters aren’t varied, it’s he same fight 3 times.

It’s a game with werewolves and airships and Tesla cannons and immortal blood-drinking knights and it really feels like the Encounter/Level design people were working on a different game than the storyboard because of how lame it is. You are literally shooting white people in grey hospital clothes for 85% of the game. It’s like a God of War Game but half of it is Kratos doing his taxes.

That said I played through the first two chapters of Knack and the gameplay never evolves or gets more meaningful or engaging in any way compared to any other later level I’m looking at, so they are both bad, but I enjoyed parts of 1886, Knack is irredeemable. It’s not a meme it’s just boring and dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I was not around my PS4 for a few days, but instead had my vita with me for some bizarre reason so I gave Dragons Crown a whirl.

I think I got it free from PS Plus, but it is really ace and I find myself kicking myself for not having given it a whirl sooner! It reminds me of Dragons Dogma in that I can get others to come along for the ride with me and help me out!