Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I must say, I haven't enjoyed politics this much since Abbott got ousted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Read upwards.

https://twitter.com/samdastyari/status/963011449453920256

Ora Tzo fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 12, 2018

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
A shame that Sportsbet got rid of the 'next federal leader to go' bet, considering how nice it would have been to score back to back wins by betting on Barnaby.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
This country.

I mean, imagine if the president of the USA sexually assaulted someone or acted with such impropriety,

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Death to black women who cuss though

loving freaks

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The saddest part of this story is losing respect for people who I thought were good journalists, and gaining respect for loving Sharri Markson, literally the only journalist left in Canberra.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/damonheraldsun/status/963008582588489728

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The saddest part of this story is losing respect for people who I thought were good journalists, and gaining respect for loving Sharri Markson, literally the only journalist left in Canberra.

There is one good Aussie journalist and it's the Guardians Roqayah Chamseddine

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

The Peccadillo posted:

There is one good Aussie journalist and it's the Guardians Roqayah Chamseddine

you meant to write Matt V Brady. you imbecile. you loving moron

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Woman alleges Barnaby Joyce ‘drunkenly pinched her bottom’ after awards ceremony

A WOMAN claims National Party Leader Barnaby Joyce drunkenly pinched her on the bottom following a 2011 awards ceremony — an allegation denied by the MP and rejected by the Prime Minister’s office when it was raised four years later.

The explosive allegation — involving Mr Joyce when he was in Opposition — was raised by a political rival with Malcolm Turnbull’s principal private secretary Sally Cray in December 2015 who said nothing could be done because no complaint had been made and there was no evidence that Mr Joyce had engaged in any wrongdoing.

The woman, a well respected community member, claims she approached Mr Joyce after expressing concerns over his interaction with another woman following the Rural Women’s Agricultural Awards in Canberra.

She told The Daily Telegraph last night: “I went over to the bar and he was very, very drunk and nearly falling over. I said ‘Barnaby, I think you should go home. You’re very drunk. He leant over and he pinched my bottom.”

Her claims were supported by John Clements — a former staff member for Joyce’s long-term political rival Tony Windsor.

The other woman, whose initial encounter with Mr Joyce prompted the second woman to approach the MP, has strongly denied anything inappropriate took place.

A spokesman for Mr Joyce denied the incident happened, saying Mr Joyce did not attend a pub or nightclub after the awards.

He said the fact the claims came from a long-time political rival, should give everyone pause for thought.

Mr Clements claimed he confronted Mr Joyce after the incident.

“I was in the pub and a woman who I’ve known for a long time walked up to me, and she was rattled,” he said. “I’ve never seen her rattled and she said she had been pinched on the bum and she pointed at the man. It was Barnaby Joyce. I approached Joyce and asked him what he thought he was doing.”

Mr Clements raised the issue with Ms Cray, one of the Prime Minister’s closest confidantes. A text message exchange between Mr Clements and Ms Cray on 30 December 2015 — in the wake of allegations that Jamie Briggs kissed a female staff member — has been obtained by the Daily Telegraph. Mr Clements likened Mr Joyce’s behaviour to that of Mr Briggs and questioned why he had not been similarly disciplined.

In the text messages, Mr Clements described Mr Joyce as a “goose” and referred to “pinching bums.” “He was worse than drunk at a nightclub then any of these and he is still a minister,” he wrote. “All of (sic) record Sally. We will sort this goose out no report made to you.”

Ms Cray then appeared to compare the allegation involving Mr Joyce to the incident with Mr Briggs.

“Agree it’s all off record. It’s hard if there was not an official complaint at the time to act,” she wrote of the Joyce allegation.

“While I see that behaviour too is unacceptable, this one (the Briggs allegation) was very complex as it involved a junior officer and there was a workplace complaint which is the reason it came to light. Perhaps calling it out will make people think again (one can only hope.)”

It is understood that after Ms Cray received the text messages, she looked into the matter and raised it with Mr Joyce’s office.

After looking into the matter, it was clear that nobody had made a complaint and nobody claimed to be a victim. Had somebody made a complaint, an action would have been taken.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...e60532eb90312ce

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

I'll die before the bastard Brady gets a look of my feet

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Murdoch's decided that Barnaby must die. The baby and the mother are collateral damage.

What did he do a month or so ago to make Murdoch decide to end his career?

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Wasn't Sharri the woman who criticized journalists who don't grovel at the feet of politicians to maintain access?

She's only writing about Barnaby because he's well and truly hosed and access no longer matters. She sucks big time rear end.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Someone kickstart a legal fund for dastyari so he can go expose a bunch of stuff.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Comstar posted:

Murdoch's decided that Barnaby must die. The baby and the mother are collateral damage.

He will have violated one of Murdoch's vague notions of acceptable behaviour, likely highly steeped in hypocrisy; also those goalposts shift like only an 80+ year old with a rotten soul can shift them.

It doesn't matter basically. They gave him too mcub power and they actively work to maintain it, I don't much care if it comes back to bite them from time to time.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Comstar posted:

I'm really wondering this, too. And if it is a vendetta, why did they wait until after the by-election to fire their guns? The whole thing is really confusing.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Didn't they make an announcement about the rail corridor that goes right past his newly acquired property in NSW about a month ago? Maybe he got the wrong billionaire vengeful god angry at him for putting the rail line in the "wrong" place.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Starshark posted:

I'm really wondering this, too. And if it is a vendetta,

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it’s not 11 dimensional chess, they just knew that all this poo poo would come out eventually so decided to get out in front of it

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Don Dongington posted:

He will have violated one of Murdoch's vague notions of acceptable behaviour, likely highly steeped in hypocrisy

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

BBJoey posted:

it’s not 11 dimensional chess, they just knew that all this poo poo would come out eventually so decided to get out in front of it

Agreed. Murdoch, for all his faults, can smell public opinion, and this was a step to far for Joe Public to handwave away. So Murdoch turns on Joyce and uses him as an example of how quickly he can ruin a politician and how the rest had better stay in line.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I'm not a an actively hosed rube, i'm just dazzled

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Who the gently caress is True Crime Weekly?

Is it like The Economist for Criminals (who have a chance of getting caught)

Nah that's the AFR.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

NPR Journalizard posted:

Agreed. Murdoch, for all his faults, can smell public opinion,

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

drunkill posted:

Someone kickstart a legal fund for dastyari so he can go expose a bunch of stuff.

I don't think Kickstarter is available in China

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

you mean head of APEX gang (hunter valley branch), Matt V Brady?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Also shut up a minute and listen to Roqayah Chamseddine's podcast she does

https://deleteyouraccount.libsyn.com

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Starshark posted:

I'm really wondering this, too. And if it is a vendetta, why did they wait until after the by-election to fire their guns? The whole thing is really confusing.

Why risk losing a client government?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Barnaby J.: Portrait of an rear end Grabber

starring Johnny Depp as Barnaby Joyce.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

“THE BONKING BEETROOT”: Deputy PM and “homewrecker” Barnaby Joyce allegedly traded sex for favours with powerful Canberra lobbyist

True Crime News Weekly can now reveal the testosterone and alcohol-fuelled politician is alleged to have embarked on a sexual affair commencing in 2014 with high-profile Canberra-based lobbyist, Jannette Cotterell. Ms Cotterell is the founder of lobby group Executive Council and also has deep links to the Liberal Party’s favourite PR and spin manipulation machine, Crosby Textor. Mr Joyce was the Agriculture Minister at the time, having successfully transferred down from the Senate to the House of Representatives in 2013.

The illicit affair was revealed to True Crime News Weekly by a well-placed source in Canberra.

“Around the time Jannette attended the Midwinter Ball with [Deputy Liberal leader] Julie Bishop in 2014 she was involved in a sexual affair with Barnaby. She is divorced. He was not,” the source told True Crime News Weekly.

“Ethically such intimate involvement between a Minister and a lobbyist seems corrupt. She wrote favourably about him on her page. She enjoyed the power, prestige, information available to her as his mistress. He traded who-knows-what for sex?”

Like Ms Campion, his current squeeze, Ms Cotterell also happens to be a former journalist. She is the former wife of journalist Glenn Milne – better known as the ‘Angry Dwarf’ – who became infamous for attempting to drunkenly fight Crikey founder Stephen Mayne on stage at the 2006 Walkley Awards for journalism.

Perhaps fearing the publication of this story, Ms Cotterell went into damage control on the evening of Monday, February 12 and pulled down her company’s main website page, however some links can still be directly reached.

An emergency email contact which is now listed on the website’s front page has not yet responded to a message request from True Crime News Weekly about the sudden unavailability of the company’s website less than 12 hours after we had sent questions by email to Ms Cotterell.

https://truecrimenewsweekly.com/201...berra-lobbyist/

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 12, 2018

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The pimp of parliament

The Sex Meister of the Senate

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Why is he not in prison for treason

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/963167022644322304
https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/963167204324724736

lmao

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Well, this is going to be more interesting.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
He's gonna try and hang in there lmao

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Would New England like another By-election

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
I'm not the biggest fan of the ALP but they played QT yesterday masterfully. Keeping on Joyce about his infrastructure portfolio, making him squirm each time he was called upon not knowing if the question of his use of public funds would be asked. For all their faults as a party they are really good at using parliamentary procedure to give someone enough rope to hang themselves.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i agree it’s good they didn’t pressure him on his blatant corruption

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

BBJoey posted:

i agree it’s good they didn’t pressure him on his blatant corruption

I mean they should have done so, however letting the Murdoch papers do that publically is much better for them politically as they don't get the public/private lives bullshit thrown back at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/kloussikian/status/963172409892204544

• Locked thread