Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Mordiceius posted:

Do you deserve to open it right when you are starting your campaign? What have you and your party done to earn this?

We finally found time to play the game!

But more seriously, when would be the right time? And does it have to do with in game achivements?

Maybe you deserve to open the envelope after getting all the stuff out of the box and looking under that inlay in the first place?

In the rulebook there are instructions for when to open specific envelopes and the one hidden under the inlay isn't even mentionned.

Gort posted:

I opened that envelope (not really a spoiler, but just in case) but my group are too scared to act on it

I'd probably wait a little bit before opening it. Opening envelopes is cool, so I'd wait until you feel like you haven't had anything new unlock for a while, then open it.

Thanks. Now I think about keeping it hidden from the Group and find a cool way to integrate it into the game.

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Selecta84 posted:

In the rulebook there are instructions for when to open specific envelopes and the one hidden under the inlay isn't even mentionned.

There are instructions about when to open it.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There are instructions about when to open it.

What? Where? I must have skipped over that part.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It's on the envelope, isn't it?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

:-/

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

This envelope really isn't a big deal. At the end of the day it's the one they're risking you not ever finding.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Your groups reaction makes it sound interesting so maybe I just open it and see when would be the best time to use it with my group.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Sounds reasonable.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Gort posted:

This envelope really isn't a big deal. At the end of the day it's the one they're risking you not ever finding.

I discovered it while yanking everything out for my inserts. It prompted about 10 seconds of :thunk: on my part before I flipped it onto the pile with a "meh, I'll worry about this later."

I figured a good point would be after everyone in my group has retired their first character.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
My gf and I tried out sc. 81 last night.

I have the quest to complete 5 side scenarios - we have 3 unlocked, and this was the first one so we decided to give it a shot. Lv. 2 Brute and Lv. 2 Scoundrel. We didn't make it to the final room before being exhausted, those demons are tough. The artillery wasn't too bad though.

We were confused about the element usage though. So, if at the beginning of every turn the light/dark goes to strong, all others go to inert, I can't set up a elemental combo for my next turn, right? I'm thinking specifically about the Brute's wind movement, then next turn using his lunge attack that consumes wind to do more damage and piercing. Since the element is moved to inert at the beginning of the turn, there's no way I can get that off it seems.

Also, if one of the demons consumes the light/dark element, that means all other demons (of that type) get the same buff, is that right?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lucas Archer posted:

My gf and I tried out sc. 81 last night.

I have the quest to complete 5 side scenarios - we have 3 unlocked, and this was the first one so we decided to give it a shot. Lv. 2 Brute and Lv. 2 Scoundrel. We didn't make it to the final room before being exhausted, those demons are tough. The artillery wasn't too bad though.

We were confused about the element usage though. So, if at the beginning of every turn the light/dark goes to strong, all others go to inert, I can't set up a elemental combo for my next turn, right? I'm thinking specifically about the Brute's wind movement, then next turn using his lunge attack that consumes wind to do more damage and piercing. Since the element is moved to inert at the beginning of the turn, there's no way I can get that off it seems.

Also, if one of the demons consumes the light/dark element, that means all other demons (of that type) get the same buff, is that right?

Correct, for monster element use, the element is consumed once and all of them get whatever the effect is. E: Unless they're Stunned in which case the Stunned ones don't, and if all the monsters of that type are Stunned, the element is not consumed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

thespaceinvader posted:

Correct, for monster element use, the element is consumed once and all of them get whatever the effect is. E: Unless they're Stunned in which case the Stunned ones don't, and if all the monsters of that type are Stunned, the element is not consumed.

That ended up being a big deal in Scenario 31 with Triforce because of that night demon card which has them get +2 attack, and which is totally loving brutal, and because the scenario keeps refreshing the Shadow element. I was playing triforce and using my persistent bonus card which is like "Consume any element for +1 attack" and that made a big difference because I kept the shadow demons from enjoying their candy.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yah, Formless Power is good for that. I never really found the right times to use it, though, when I was playing mine. And I was often pretty ineffective because I couldn't get the right combos of elements to work the level 5 cards.

Never made it to level 7 :(

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

My wife and I started our campaign over the weekend. Me a brute, she a spellweaver. It took us two tries to win the first scenario, four to win the second, and tonight we got fairly stomped at our first try of three. I don't think we're very good at this game yet, but with XP and gold staying with you even on a failure I suppose sooner or later we'll beef up to the point that everything gets easier. We were both level 2 after #2 which is nice, but it does mean running #3 at level 2, which seems to put us right back to struggling. So far we're unwilling to dial down the difficulty though, because we're having fun.

A quick rules question, spoilering just in case, even though it's a mechanic that I'm sure comes up a lot. Related to scenario #3: An Inox Shaman blessed himself, which I understand means adding a 2x damage bless card to his attack mod deck. But the monsters all use the same deck, so does that mean that any monster in the scenario now has a chance of scoring 2x because of his bless? We're playing under the assumption that that's correct but it seems kind of weird and I'd like it clarified if anyone could please.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

We were both level 2 after #2 which is nice, but it does mean running #3 at level 2, which seems to put us right back to struggling.

You're screwing up the difficulty level exactly the same way I did for a long while. Difficulty is your average level halved, then rounded up. So if you're both at level 2, you do difficulty level 1.

Regarding your spoiler, yes - if a monster Blesses, they're effectively blessing the entire monster roster. Remember that Bless cards and Curse cards are removed from the deck after they come up, though, unless they're the cards that come with the deck naturally.

Are you using up a lot of loss cards early? That tends to snowball, since you'll begin to rest more and more. Where possible, you want to use non-loss actions until you're sure it's an emergency or you're in the last room and just want to start wrecking stuff. Also remember that you get a perk for leveling up - giving yourself the brute's 'no negative modifiers from items' will let you bulk up with some armor and a shield, which can help a lot.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 13, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Stelas posted:

Are you using up a lot of loss cards early? That tends to snowball, since you'll begin to rest more and more. Where possible, you want to use non-loss actions until you're sure it's an emergency or you're in the last room and just want to start wrecking stuff.
That said, in scenario #3 it's absolutely a reasonable idea to blow loss cards early since once you clear the room of the initial enemies you only have to deal with a slow trickle.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Mindthief question about a level 4 card: Does Cranium Overload trigger retaliate/ranged retaliate on enemies hit by the brain shrapnel?

Scenario 81 question: Does the colorless need the elements it uses to summon demons to turn invisible/gain shield, or it does those things regardless of element presence?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That said, in scenario #3 it's absolutely a reasonable idea to blow loss cards early since once you clear the room of the initial enemies you only have to deal with a slow trickle.

We smashed right through that door asap because we figured there was a chest in there. We were right, and it was a side scenario for good measure. Best chest.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Stelas posted:

We smashed right through that door asap because we figured there was a chest in there. We were right, and it was a side scenario for good measure. Best chest.

I thought that chest had something else in it?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Mindthief question about a level 4 card: Does Cranium Overload trigger retaliate/ranged retaliate on enemies hit by the brain shrapnel?

Scenario 81 question: Does the colorless need the elements it uses to summon demons to turn invisible/gain shield, or it does those things regardless of element presence?

Retaliate triggers on any attack, provided the thing with retaliate is still able to hit back after the attack finishes. So my understanding is yes, but only if your mindthief is in retaliate range of the thing being hit by the splash effect.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I might be mixing it up with another scenario, now that I think about it, but yeah we just bashed right through the place anyway. That was our cragheart's first attempt at the class after coming from mindthief, and he was so much happier with it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Stelas posted:

I might be mixing it up with another scenario, now that I think about it, but yeah we just bashed right through the place anyway. That was our cragheart's first attempt at the class after coming from mindthief, and he was so much happier with it.

It's the most recent scenario we did, I was just worried I'd hosed up.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Stelas posted:

You're screwing up the difficulty level exactly the same way I did for a long while. Difficulty is your average level halved, then rounded up. So if you're both at level 2, you do difficulty level 1.

Regarding your spoiler, yes - if a monster Blesses, they're effectively blessing the entire monster roster. Remember that Bless cards and Curse cards are removed from the deck after they come up, though, unless they're the cards that come with the deck naturally.

Are you using up a lot of loss cards early? That tends to snowball, since you'll begin to rest more and more. Where possible, you want to use non-loss actions until you're sure it's an emergency or you're in the last room and just want to start wrecking stuff. Also remember that you get a perk for leveling up - giving yourself the brute's 'no negative modifiers from items' will let you bulk up with some armor and a shield, which can help a lot.

Thank you for the difficulty clarification, that seems a lot more sensible. And for answering the bless question.

We definitely learned quickly that loss cards need to be carefully played, and once we started really thinking and planning with that in mind we found we were able to sustain ourselves for much longer. Our first run at #3 wrapped pretty quickly mostly because I got surrounded and had to burn cards to avoid lethal damage. Prior to that attempt I'd done a good job of keeping myself healthy especially with the spellweaver at my back. She was worried about her small hand size at first but quickly realized that as long as she holds onto that Ether card and plays it wisely she's good to go.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'm pretty sure that monster is only adding one bless to the monster deck for each shaman on the board.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yep, the Spellweaver can go hogwild about 1.5 times a scenario due to Reviving Ether.

But as they level, they get access to better non-loss cards, so their reliance on Ether drops.

In fact, the last 7 scenarios we've done, our Spellweaver only played the top of Ether 3 or 4 times.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Yep, the Spellweaver can go hogwild about 1.5 times a scenario due to Reviving Ether.

But as they level, they get access to better non-loss cards, so their reliance on Ether drops.

In fact, the last 7 scenarios we've done, our Spellweaver only played the top of Ether 3 or 4 times.

That seems pretty weird. I think I used 2 or 3 loss cards in my deck and still never got close to finishing without Ether. 8 cards is just not that many.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Stelas posted:

To be fair I still like Mindthief but our scoundrel is already phenomenal at deleting single targets, while hucking AoEs and true damage everywhere feels like something we were lacking :v:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kiranamos posted:

That seems pretty weird. I think I used 2 or 3 loss cards in my deck and still never got close to finishing without Ether. 8 cards is just not that many.

Well, our Tinkerer now has a card that gives a lost card back and a consumed trinket back, so we're using a LOT of Stamina Potions.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
If I do a NewGame+ to go through what I missed previous I am definitely banning stamina potions. poo poo is just so much better than basically any other accessory available.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Luceid posted:

To be fair I still like Mindthief but our scoundrel is already phenomenal at deleting single targets, while hucking AoEs and true damage everywhere feels like something we were lacking :v:

I've been playing the mindthief for maybe twenty scenarios now - I got a very long-term personal goal (the one where you have to experience your party members exhausting 15 times) and I have one big complaint with the class. The entire thing hinges on half of one very good card - the augment that gives you +2 damage on every melee hit. Basically if you're not running that, you're not playing well. It's not a huge deal to have one cornerstone card - it sounds like the spellweaver has the one Ether card that she relies on as well.

What is weird is the other augments. None of the ones you get at level one are any good compared to +2 damage on every melee hit. My character's now about level 7, and the augment I grabbed at level 1 is still the best card in the class, certainly the best augment. I experimented with the card that allows you to have two augments, but the investment of a loss card early in the game and then two actions spent applying augments seemed too high to be worth it.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice having a really powerful ability, it's just a shame that as I'm levelling up I'm seeing lots of cards that are just pointless because a level 1 card already made them obsolete.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The other augments are pretty niche, but I think they do actually have a niche. A lot of them are paired with good, reusable bottom halves, and you can always replace Mind's Weakness with a different augment for one or two attacks before re-establishing it.

With the card that gives you multiple augments, it's really important to remember that you can discard your active augments at any point (allowing you to pick up and replay them). It's especially good with the later augments that are reasonable top-line actions even ignoring the augment part.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The heal augment isn't bad per se, it's just that in most scenarios it's better to kill (or disable) a monster quickly so it can't damage you rather than take damage and heal up.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Should I be spoiling the effects of the higher-level cards in a starter class, by the way? I'd have thought pretty much anyone playing the class would've looked through what their level-ups would give them, but maybe I'm wrong.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Gort posted:

Should I be spoiling the effects of the higher-level cards in a starter class, by the way? I'd have thought pretty much anyone playing the class would've looked through what their level-ups would give them, but maybe I'm wrong.

I was surprised people were putting them in spoiler text.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

MikeCrotch posted:

If I do a NewGame+ to go through what I missed previous I am definitely banning stamina potions. poo poo is just so much better than basically any other accessory available.

Each character can only have 1 of those though, right? The rules say that under the city shop section. Am I misinterpreting?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I know it was only a few pages back, but I couldn't find it either here or on google -

The creator released a content creation pack this week for Gloomhaven. Does anyone have a link handy? I'm going to make some fresh scenarios from scratch just for the con.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Elephant Ambush posted:

Each character can only have 1 of those though, right? The rules say that under the city shop section. Am I misinterpreting?

Yes, they're saying "1 is too many, I'm going to try 0 next time".

They are kinda stupidly good. To the point where maybe everyone should have had one as an inherent trait and the game balanced around that.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Elephant Ambush posted:

Higher Prosperity Spoilers

At Prosperity 2 you get access to the head item Empowering Talisman, which lets you regain a consumed item. At Prosperity 4 you get Major Stamina Potions, which get you 3 cards back from your discard. So pretty much all characters before level 5 will have their accessory slots taken up by a Minor and Major Stamina Potion, because no other item provides as much bang for buck as them. So in a future campaign I want to force myself to use the other, less used items.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It does, it's a design for the helmet that gives plus 1 damage it you moved 4 squares - I believe its called Horned Helm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Scenario 1 four player trip report mainly from my Mindthief perspective. We also have Scoundrel, Spellweaver, and Cragheart.

We won without much problem. We were able to keep the last archer alive while we ran around the room looting. Going into the last room seemed like it would be close as the Spellweaver and Cragheart expressed card count concerns. The Cragheart went first when opening the last door while second room monsters were dead. He killed one bones but then got hit by everything else. Luckily one was a null but he took damage down to 1 health and then burned a card to stay alive. In room 2 after we killed the guards he tanked all the archers with his 2 Shield spell. The first door was smoother since I went invis and then opened it and nothing could move at us.

The only damage I took was in the first room getting hit for 3 from the elite on its first attack. My stuns didn't seem to be that important since it was usually overkill. I ended up getting 7 loot tokens which seemed like a lot since MT isn't supposed to have the best loot. I also got 11 experience.

Now some questions. How do people handle traps? The Spellweaver just walked onto it and soaked it with frost armor.

What needs to happen on a card to get the XP? The Mind's Weakness has the augment, the attack and the XP. Do I need to hit something for the XP? The XP graphic is to the right of the attack icon, but not linked to it I don't think. This is different than another one that has Move -> Stun -> XP. There are others that are Consume Element: Attack 1, +1XP. That last one looks like it relies on the attack.

When a Cragheart adds a Target to an AOE attack, can that target be a monster in that AOE already so it gets hit twice?