Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Speaking of seaglide, learned a nifty trick from the speed run of the game (1 hour and 5 minutes, drat)

So, build a moonpool and cause it to 'sink by exceeding the structure value. When it's fully submerged, take the seaglide into the sunken room for below until you move real slow (usually right near the top of the water line). When you leave the moonpool the game gets confused and doubles your seaglide speed. Faster than the seamoth.

Best part is that until you enter an air area (ship, base, etc) or break the surface, it stays persistent regardless on inventory changes.

In fact you're so fast you can make it down to the thermal plant or sea emperor facility in a single expanded air tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

redreader posted:

I bought this game ages ago and never saw a single cuddlefish

It is a relatively new addition to the game, and there are only four cuddlefish eggs in the game as i understand it.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Oasx posted:

It is a relatively new addition to the game, and there are only four cuddlefish eggs in the game as i understand it.

If that is the case I feel blessed I stumbled into one.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
I'm trying not to read any spoilers but I feel i've missed something important. I'm up to the bit when the rescue ship gets shot down by the alien gun and then you get a code for some place to go in your ship but I dont have just a normal room for my underground lair. I do have a scanner room and a moonpool but I can't fit the aqurium or organic reactor, etc in those, not well anyway, I do have a greyed out multipurpose room but I can't find any blueprints for that, is this right? should I just keep scanning away or should I have found it ages ago?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You're still early in the game. Just keep exploring and you'll eventually find the fragments.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

by.a.teammate posted:

I'm trying not to read any spoilers but I feel i've missed something important. I'm up to the bit when the rescue ship gets shot down by the alien gun and then you get a code for some place to go in your ship but I dont have just a normal room for my underground lair. I do have a scanner room and a moonpool but I can't fit the aqurium or organic reactor, etc in those, not well anyway, I do have a greyed out multipurpose room but I can't find any blueprints for that, is this right? should I just keep scanning away or should I have found it ages ago?

Either explore the gun island more thoroughly or follow the Keen Signal chain. Either one will lead you where you need to be.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

Either explore the gun island more thoroughly or follow the Keen Signal chain. Either one will lead you where you need to be.

Amazing thanks, I went to the keen signal once I upgraded my underwater ship thingy but I have the lazer cutter too now so maybe i'll go back and take another look

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there anyway for me to fix this or am I hosed?

I parked my seamoth on a rock and it somehow glitched inside it. I can't access it at all. My base is 1000 meters away and I don't have a seaglide with me.

:negative:

Open the console and use the command "dig" followed by the number of metres you want to excavate around you. That should let you get at it. Doesn't look like it's too far down.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

by.a.teammate posted:

Amazing thanks, I went to the keen signal once I upgraded my underwater ship thingy but I have the lazer cutter too now so maybe i'll go back and take another look

The laser cutter opens up the ability to explore a lot of wrecks, for some reason they decided to make it a lot harder to get in this final version of the game.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

by.a.teammate posted:

It sounds like you definitely missed a bunch of important stuff on gun island and you should really go back. No laser cutter needed, just being observant. One of those things will indirectly get you what you are looking for in addition to having other benefits.

Oasx posted:

I've already found five, and I'm assuming I haven't encountered every single egg possible.

Badger
Sep 21, 2007
On burrowed time...
So only just picked this up to have a singleplayer game to "sedately" poke at. I've ended up building a small base near the first island you encounter, but theres a warper who seems to love hanging around outside.
Is there actually a way to kill these guys, I've slashed them no end with the knife, even with the thermo upgrade he warps away and then comes back a while later. Threw objects at him with the repulsion cannon too but no effect.
I've taken to just trying to wall him off under my base foundation plates.

Other than that annoyance game seems cool and good and the water effects are very pretty.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Badger posted:

So only just picked this up to have a singleplayer game to "sedately" poke at. I've ended up building a small base near the first island you encounter, but theres a warper who seems to love hanging around outside.
Is there actually a way to kill these guys, I've slashed them no end with the knife, even with the thermo upgrade he warps away and then comes back a while later. Threw objects at him with the repulsion cannon too but no effect.
I've taken to just trying to wall him off under my base foundation plates.

Other than that annoyance game seems cool and good and the water effects are very pretty.
When they are working as intended they are supposed to gently caress off. But, well, it's not quite as enjoyable when something in their AI realizes "Wait a minute. I'm literally unkillable!"

I've not been unfortunate enough yet to have them camping out a base though, except when I make small one room outposts with a fabricator by the shoreline where I can frustrate them by swimming the five feet to land.

EDIT: Unrelated, my closest call last night was forgetting how bullshit the cyclops energy economy is without thermals and ions. "I'll just pop my timecapsule ion batteries into the single charger and off we go. I'll have the thermal reactor soon enough-Why are multiple power cells drained already... Oh, right." Everything is all topped up again, but figures it happens the one time I didn't obsessively craft 12+ spare power cells.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 12, 2018

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
The energy efficiency module helps a lot too.

And a good trick when your base is out of energy and oxygen at night: just go to sleep.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Section Z posted:

When they are working as intended they are supposed to gently caress off. But, well, it's not quite as enjoyable when something in their AI realizes "Wait a minute. I'm literally unkillable!"

I've not been unfortunate enough yet to have them camping out a base though, except when I make small one room outposts with a fabricator by the shoreline where I can frustrate them by swimming the five feet to land.

EDIT: Unrelated, my closest call last night was forgetting how bullshit the cyclops energy economy is without thermals and ions. "I'll just pop my timecapsule ion batteries into the single charger and off we go. I'll have the thermal reactor soon enough-Why are multiple power cells drained already... Oh, right." Everything is all topped up again, but figures it happens the one time I didn't obsessively craft 12+ spare power cells.

basically don't build energy using things into the cyclops until you get thermals, after tho... considering you only really need one trip to the lava stuff.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

After not playing this for a while (pre-PRAWN) I decided to give it another go and beat the game. Ended up only building the Cyclops for completion purposes as the PRAWN was my go-to for everything, especially once I got down grapple slingshotting.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bryter posted:

Open the console and use the command "dig" followed by the number of metres you want to excavate around you. That should let you get at it. Doesn't look like it's too far down.

Hey thanks, I wasn't looking forward to swimming back and building a new sea moth from scratch. This worked out fine.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Hey thanks, I wasn't looking forward to swimming back and building a new sea moth from scratch. This worked out fine.

restart your game if you want to get cheevos

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
bloody hell you guys weren't kidding about gun island, I don't know how I came up on the island in such a way to miss so much!

Badger
Sep 21, 2007
On burrowed time...

Section Z posted:

I'm not so far in that it's a problem to move my base tbh, I've just been pootling around making small scanner bases and hunting fragments so far with my seaglide and seamoth.
If they are actually unkillable I'll just have to build away from them.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Just uh, shoot the warper into orbit with the repulsion cannon

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Section Z posted:

Zed, this isn't a problem with the game - you just hosed up. A couple of Ion Batteries have more capacity than an entire conventional Cyclops, so no poo poo they're going to suck it dry if the Cyclops isn't being powered by something. What else do you want to happen here?

This is like plugging a some mysterious alien device into your car charger and being mad when it won't start in the morning.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It was more BS in beta when there wasn't Ion stuff and you could permanently run your cyclops with just a power cell charger because it charged faster than it drained with the efficiency module :shepface:

Ion stuff was the reason I actually built a nuclear power plant and used it in my base. They're the only thing that sucks enough power under normal use to overcome massed thermals and solar panels.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Oh I should probably build one of those, I've had solar panels for like 20 hours, lol. Started exploring in my Cyclops last night and became immediately annoyed at managing power usage while negotiating reapers.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 12, 2018

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Tips for finding the inactive lava zone? I've got a base some 300 meters down near the entrance to the lost river (I think), I've scouted what I consider to be quite a large portion of the map with my seamoth and found nothing resembling an entrance to an area deeper than the disease research facility.

I'm walked around in the prawn a bunch near that same area but was having a hard time making any progress since I still don't have a solid grasp of how to use the grappling arm to move more efficiently, not to mention I was walking around and jumped off the edge of map (according to my data bank) and had to reload since I couldn't climb the steep edge with the prawn suit and I didn't want to lose it.

Fano fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 12, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Fano posted:

Tips for finding the inactive lava zone? I've got a base some 300 meters down near the entrance to the lost river (I think), I've scouted what I consider to be quite a large portion of the map with my seamoth and found nothing resembling an entrance to an area deeper than the disease research facility.

On the border of the mountains and koosh zone there's a hole that leads to the lost river. Go down there for a bit and eventually you'll have the choice to go ahead or further down (probably with a Ghost Satan chilling out there.)

Ahead leads to the giant skeleton cave in the lost river. Down leads to the Inactive Lava Zone.

IIRC it's vaguely north-east of the disease research facility. Ghost Tree is too far north.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Fano posted:

I'm walked around in the prawn a bunch near that same area but was having a hard time making any progress since I still don't have a solid grasp of how to use the grappling arm to move more efficiently, not to mention I was walking around and jumped off the edge of map (according to my data bank) and had to reload since I couldn't climb the steep edge with the prawn suit and I didn't want to lose it.

In the Lost River, have you found the big tree? it's in an intersection before getting to the disease research facility. It has ghost rays and leviathan eggs in amongst its roots. Beyond and below that is the ILZ.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fano posted:

To slingshot with the Prawn:

1) Target the ground in front of you or a slope above you that is in the direction that you want to go.
2) Use the jets (basic jets work, improved jets are better of course) lightly until you're shortly before the grapple target
3) Release the grapple before you get to it.
4) Feather the jets afterwards to keep from falling down too much. Eventually you'll come back down but you can cover a lot of distance quickly.

When confronted with a cliff you can still use the grapple. The jets recharge slower when you're not on the ground though. Just hang out as you wait for them to get full and use your view (look up then down) to get the prawn to start moving upwards before you engage the jets. If you're going vertical just hold them down until you're near the end and toss your grapple out before you're fully out of juice.

Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I have found the big/ghost tree before, good to know I've been in the general area.

I've have to make another trip down when I get home, thanks for the tips.

e: it just dawned on me that I should have spoiler tagged some of those names, whoops, I edited my original post but the quotes remain.

Fano fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 12, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Voyager I posted:

Zed, this isn't a problem with the game - you just hosed up. A couple of Ion Batteries have more capacity than an entire conventional Cyclops, so no poo poo they're going to suck it dry if the Cyclops isn't being powered by something. What else do you want to happen here?

This is like plugging a some mysterious alien device into your car charger and being mad when it won't start in the morning.
Charging a handheld battery risking a blackout of a giant submarine is the sort of thing that feels silly to have to remember in the first place, though :v: It's not like I was plugging in power cells.

Of course, even REGULAR batteries are cruel on the old cyclops without the lategame "Eh you've unlocked infinite power, who cares".

When maneuvering past Ghost levies and more with practiced ease, it just further drove home how silly it is that I was almost undone by plugging in my welder batteries rather than say, spamming forcefields while playing chicken with sea monsters or anything actually interesting on my Nth trip to the endgame.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 12, 2018

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Section Z posted:

Charging a handheld battery risking a blackout of a giant submarine is the sort of thing that feels silly to have to remember in the first place, though :v: It's not like I was plugging in power cells.

You know you can mouseover batteries and power cells to see how much juice they can store, right? A normal battery holds 100 energy, a power cell is double that, and Ion tech has five times the equivalent capacity (which means plugging Ion anything into an ordinary cyclops is probably gonna end real badly).

Also 'handheld battery' is a pretty disingenuous way to refer to an incomprehensible technical marvel copied from the databanks of a wondrously advanced precursor civilization.

EDIT: I mean honestly it is a pretty simple mistake (I got a single Ion Cell from a time capsule and thought about plugging it into my Prawn until I did the math and realized exactly what that might do to my Cyclops the next time it docked), so I guess my issue is that your reaction to yourself doing something silly is to come make another post about "Ugggggh this fuckin' game amirite guys?"

At least it wasn't 500 words this time.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 12, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So how am I supposed to scan a leviathan without getting eaten? Your effective scan range is like 5 feet and the one I found is almost as fast as a sea moth at top speed. I'm worried that being attacked by one outside your ship is an instant kill.

Unless the stasis rifle works on them but that seems a bit too easy.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Internet Kraken posted:

So how am I supposed to scan a leviathan without getting eaten? Your effective scan range is like 5 feet and the one I found is almost as fast as a sea moth at top speed. I'm worried that being attacked by one outside your ship is an instant kill.

It is, in fact, that easy.

Spoilered because it basically makes Leviathans stop being scary.

Lord Zedd
Dec 25, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Stasis rifle works but only their heads have collision. If you bind stasis to 1 and scanner to 2 you can spam stasis then scan for a few seconds on a loop until you've got it.
Edit: Spoiler'd

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

The only one that can do that is the biggest one that spits fire.

The second biggest one only does most of your health in damage :v:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Lord Zedd posted:

Stasis rifle works but only their heads have collision. If you bind stasis to 1 and scanner to 2 you can spam stasis then scan for a few seconds on a loop until you've got it.

if you hit the leviathan with a fully charged stasis rifle shot you only have to refresh it like once before you're done scanning

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lord Zedd posted:

You know you can charge the stasis rifle shot right? A fully charged shot is the size of a room and freezes everything for like 30 seconds

efb

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Voyager I posted:

It is, in fact, that easy.

Spoilered because it basically makes Leviathans stop being scary.

Gotta hit their head dead-on though, and you're dead in two fuckups.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Everybody knows about the other way down to the inactive lava zone, right? The area between the abandoned research facility and the bulb tree zone exit? The one with the ghost leviathan prowling above it?

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Set up a base right on an edge the mushroom forest (apparently really close to a reaper spawn). As I was bringing my cyclops in, it decided to start attacking, so I had no choice but to head out with a thermoblade and stasis rifle and end the threat. It actually wasn't too bad, charge a shot, swing ~10 times, repeat. Was a bit sad there wasn't an achievement for it, but it was at least satisfying..

Also cyclops has been a little bit annoying. Never found the depth upgrade, so I need to take much longer expeditions with the Prawn to check out places (or Seamoth, but that doesn't go so deep and I'll inevitably end up on the other side of the map as the cyclops). Power was also a giant pain (before I found thermal). I was able to more or less keep the air on by charging cells the cyclops itself, but never really built up enough charge to make a trip so I'd end up seagliding 500m to my nearest outpost (I guess I could carry around reactor mats and set up little charging stations here and there?).

Also the charge fins are amazing. They charge more than the seaglide uses, which then means you can swap other batteries into the seaglide as they begin to get drained and never need to worry about batteries anymore.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:cripes: I just finished up the research facility and caught the schmutz and spent in game days loving around trying to find the next area. There's also a Lost River entrance like, a couple hundred meters from my base, I just never bothered to go that far down.

Also holy gently caress the Scanner Room goes from alright to game changing when you get the hud chip :stwoon: I forget how I lived without this miracle