Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

food court bailiff posted:

I really hope this conversation about PCs vs consoles goes on longer - it's a bunch of unique views that I've never heard before and it's really fascinating to read.

You're right. For content: Dark Souls 1, the bed of chaos is a bullshit try/fail boss fight that's not improved in subsequent playthroughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Morpheus posted:

I'm not going to try to convince you to like the game, sounds like it's not for you and that's fine, a lot of games aren't for everyone (I beat Bloodborne, for example, and kinda just shrug when people ask me if it's good, despite the PS4 thread jerking off over copies of the game) - I'd just like to figure out what was going on here for it to take so long to kill the first monster:

1) What weapon type were you using?
2) Did you upgrade it at all, or just grab it straight from the chest?
3) Were you using any of the, uh, 'special moves' or combos or stuff like that? Like, did you jump into the fight or go to the training zone first?

I used the katana; it was the very first mission (great jagras, or something like that?), so I don't know if I had any materials to upgrade it or not. I don't think I did. I went into the training zone to try it out and get a feel for how it worked and I used special attacks that made it glow red and poo poo, sometimes I did get hits into two digits and that was neat but it still felt really piddly.

Basically everything HaB said I fully agree with.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Monster Hunter has a learning curve and a comparatively long gameplay loop of about 30-40min between prep, hunting, collecting and crafting each hunt with no story to speak of so it's totally understandable how many people can't commit to that, even if others find it highly addictive.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

HaB posted:

Because that's what it does in every other game with a lock-on system?

Like that's literally what it's for.

Lock on forcing you to attack toward center of mass would be loving terrible in monhun. Like most people who complain that things take too long to kill, this is failing to understand how important locational damage is. Good players are are constantly thinking about where they want to hit with what attacks (in addition to a metric fuckload of other things, many of which are over my head). they aren't just swinging away at whatever they can hit, they're angling their high switch axe chops at the tail to sever it, they're aiming their greatsword true charge at the paralyzed monster's head for hundreds of damage, they're pointing their gunlance shell magdump at a hard point to break it so it can become vulnerable while using its lance attacks when aiming for weak points. Lock on is best used with the setting that just snaps the camera to the target and then lets go, for the times when a fast monster like toby or o-doggo jumps out of the camera. The series didn't even have any kind of lock on for three generations because it's nothing more than a convenience feature

Complaining about pubbies as if you have to play with them is also :psyduck: when world is the first game in the entire series not to put the meat of its content in multiplayer-tuned HR quests which basically forced you to play online, and instead lets the entire game scale to solo which is now by far the easiest way to play

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also don't complain about pubbies when you're a pubby yourself

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I used the katana; it was the very first mission (great jagras, or something like that?), so I don't know if I had any materials to upgrade it or not. I don't think I did. I went into the training zone to try it out and get a feel for how it worked and I used special attacks that made it glow red and poo poo, sometimes I did get hits into two digits and that was neat but it still felt really piddly.

Basically everything HaB said I fully agree with.

great jagras is not the first mission and the game explains all this poo poo that you seem continually flabbergasted about, you seem really upset that a game you went into basically skipping the tutorials didn't teach you things

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Ok

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Vic posted:

It's more a long term investment rather than just comparing raw parts. Since you can use PC for other poo poo, don't have to pay 59/year for online, get computer parts used and overall lower prices, backwards compatibility you get more bang per buck. It's definitely more complicated with PC so if a person doesn't wanna deal with that poo poo, a console would be the better choice.

I actually work in a games-industry related software engineering field, and after coming home from work I could not give a less of a gently caress about dicking around with the PC hardware, drivers and updates and poo poo. My last self-built gaming PC became such a maintenance queen that I completely dropped PC as my personal platform, and now own a Macbook Pro for grand strategies (Paradox games and Rimworld, mostly) and browsing, and console for everything else streaming or games-related.

If the console craps itself I spend one night troubleshooting stuff and then I shitcan it if it seems unfixable, and get a new one from the store. Against all odds my PS3 Slim actually made it to the "reserves", by running out of interesting games to try out. Last one to do that was NES, when I was in junior high, although roughly between SNES and PS2 I was "PC only"-guy due to not having enough money to buy console systems or being in the college.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 19:37 on Feb 12, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm seeing a lot of "I need to x to y and y to x" going on with MonHun.

This monster takes 20 minutes to kill. Ok so get a better weapon. Except getting a better weapon entails killing that 20 minute monster cause the only better weapon I can make requires materials from that monster. Saying I killed something and it took 20 minutes and I'm dreading fighting it for another 20 minutes to get a tooth from it, the answer isn't get a better weapon cause the whole reason I'm killing it is to get a better weapon. If I had a better weapon I wouldn't bother killing that monster cause I no longer need the parts from it.

Its like telling someone who is destitute to invest in technology to make money, except they need money in the first place to invest with.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Holy poo poo, dark souls chat, pc vs console discussion, and a dude complaining about not knowing how to play a game he didn't play the tutorial or read the manual for and being real obstinate about it, somebody wake up Jesus because Christmas came early.

Thing dragging down Dead Space 3, Deus Ex 2, any game with universal ammunition as a concept; It's the laziest and worst way to balance ammo drop scarcity, and I always get about 3 clips of ammo and refill to that point if I ever dip low. This is how I manage my ammo in every game with universal ammo.

The best way to deal with ammo scarcity is to allow ammo crafting like in Fallout NV, then the player can use resources to keep their guns fed even if they don't find specific ammo for it.

It's like how COD style automatic health regeneration is boring but if you actually make the player do something, even if it's just finding cover and hitting a 'heal' button, you generate a lot more tension and can keep the player more engaged.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
In order to get further into the game and make my character stronger, I have to beat the tutorial enemy once. :mad:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You do get some parts and resources from the smaller, non-"boss"-like monsters too. Not to mention just foraging and scrabbling around- this is something expeditions are good for, just head out with no specific goal and no timer and find stuff.

It's not for everyone, to be sure. I kinda liked the first big fight taking as long as it did precisely because that made it this epic thing, like a proper hunt, and I was tracking it through the jungle and collecting footprints and spores to gain information on it, which reveals things like elemental weaknesses and soft spots, etc. It's not like a Souls game which strings together smaller fights between big setpieces.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Leal posted:

I'm seeing a lot of "I need to x to y and y to x" going on with MonHun.

This monster takes 20 minutes to kill. Ok so get a better weapon. Except getting a better weapon entails killing that 20 minute monster cause the only better weapon I can make requires materials from that monster. Saying I killed something and it took 20 minutes and I'm dreading fighting it for another 20 minutes to get a tooth from it, the answer isn't get a better weapon cause the whole reason I'm killing it is to get a better weapon. If I had a better weapon I wouldn't bother killing that monster cause I no longer need the parts from it.

Its like telling someone who is destitute to invest in technology to make money, except they need money in the first place to invest with.

Getting better gear is only one component of winning faster and is a complement rather than a replacement for skill, while you generally aren't killing something until you get its weapon and then never fight it again, because parts from it are required in charms and armor sets. (in fact, most often you're getting its weapon to use against a different monster entirely instead of the same one, because monster weapons are themed around what that monster is strong against. You can progress a bit like megaman if you want.) And it's virtually never true that you only have one route to a better weapon. Here's the possible upgrades for one weapon out of 14, where most players will be using 2 or more weapons. This post reads a whole lot like you haven't actually played the series before because this really isn't how things work in practice

For what it's worth, since everyone is bringing up 20 minutes as some kind of Too Long metric, it's reasonable to expect that number to be much higher the first time you fight a hard monster you're not familiar with, especially if you have to play cautiously because it can one-shot you, and then see that time drop substantially on future attempts because you realize that loadout X is a better fit for this monster than loadout Y and you get way better at fighting it. But in general, if 20 whole minutes to complete a single mission is too much for you, stay away from the series and most videogames in general because that is a completely normal amount of time to finish one level of a game

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Jukebox Hero posted:

Thing dragging down Dead Space 3, Deus Ex 2, any game with universal ammunition as a concept; It's the laziest and worst way to balance ammo drop scarcity, and I always get about 3 clips of ammo and refill to that point if I ever dip low. This is how I manage my ammo in every game with universal ammo.

The best way to deal with ammo scarcity is to allow ammo crafting like in Fallout NV, then the player can use resources to keep their guns fed even if they don't find specific ammo for it.

It's like how COD style automatic health regeneration is boring but if you actually make the player do something, even if it's just finding cover and hitting a 'heal' button, you generate a lot more tension and can keep the player more engaged.

Agreed but I had a problem with FNV in that once I figured out the system it became a bit of a chore to accomplish the same thing. Like if acquiring specific ammo would require you to visit specific places on the world map, that would lead to some emergent gameplay, but the drops were moslty randomized according to your level. I feel like no game I can think of did ammo scarcity in a really interesting way. Like RE4 did have that funky algorythm but it was very basic.

EDIT: Endless crafting as it appears in games everywhere today is not too interesting.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Vic posted:

Agreed but I had a problem with FNV in that once I figured out the system it became a bit of a chore to accomplish the same thing. Like if acquiring specific ammo would require you to visit specific places on the world map, that would lead to some emergent gameplay, but the drops were moslty randomized according to your level. I feel like no game I can think of did ammo scarcity in a really interesting way. Like RE4 did have that funky algorythm but it was very basic.

EDIT: Endless crafting as it appears in games everywhere today is not too interesting.

Are you saying you don't enjoy opening your steam queue to find a bunch of early access procedurally generated zombie survival roguelikes with crafting elements and diablo loot?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I liked how RE4 did it, because I felt like I was getting a fair amount of ammo, and when I was running low, I'd get just enough to cover the next fight.

And then I got the Chicago Typewriter and never needed to give a poo poo about ammo again.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

I liked how RE4 did it, because I felt like I was getting a fair amount of ammo, and when I was running low, I'd get just enough to cover the next fight.

And then I got the Chicago Typewriter and never needed to give a poo poo about ammo again.

I've replayed RE4 just recently and then again on professional, and you're right it absolutely did it's job of keeping you on the edge because you were constantly low on ammo but never running out for a long stretch of time. It was also a very linear game so i guess this was easier to accompish compared to open world rpgs and stuff.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

RE4 had a dynamic difficulty that would increase or decrease the amount of enemies, ammo, and pickups depending on how you were doing. It's subtle enough that most people never noticed it. More games should have dynamic difficulty settings.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

RE4 had a dynamic difficulty that would increase or decrease the amount of enemies, ammo, and pickups depending on how you were doing. It's subtle enough that most people never noticed it. More games should have dynamic difficulty settings.

I like how hardcore gamers were bitching about it like the game was making fun of them. Well they should've tried not sucking.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

There is a huge difference between "go on a mission where different things happen and it takes 20 minutes to do" and "fight one solitary thing for 20 minutes".

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Vic posted:

I like how hardcore gamers were bitching about it like the game was making fun of them. Well they should've tried not sucking.

Seriously, it's a good system. The game actively attempts to keep up with how much rear end you're kicking, but does it without mocking you. It doesn't want you to have a bad time; it's trying to keep you having fun.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

Seriously, it's a good system. The game actively attempts to keep up with how much rear end you're kicking, but does it without mocking you. It doesn't want you to have a bad time; it's trying to keep you having fun.

Absolutely that's why it was funny because they somehow projected onto a videogame.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
So, working through my backlog onto Tales of Berseria. I've only played through one Tales game before and that was years ago. I like the game a lot so far, but the combat system seems to be based on momentum and sometimes if you get caught in stuns / otherwise gently caress up and lose all your souls, the battle just grinds to a halt. Win or lose you are going to be impotently poking at the enemy until you can get them back. You can swap your character... but that also requires a meter that you can't seem to charge when your souls are low.

This is probably made a lot worse for me because I have trouble with the perfect guards in this game. (Which seem intended to be the main way to quickly regain souls?) The timing just feels off to me and some of the bosses' tells are so short that I can't move into guard in time should I be doing literally anything else. Dodges seem a bit crap compared to what I am used to, but I'll admit that may be from playing too many Platinum games. I get hit a lot trying to dodge at the last second.

Port runs really well on PC though.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Vic posted:

I like being able to opt out of these if they exist though. Sometimes I would like to bash my head against something until I do better. (and sometimes I do not) I am not against the concept though, especially for a game that is trying to set a mood.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MrAptronym posted:

So, working through my backlog onto Tales of Berseria. I've only played through one Tales game before and that was years ago. I like the game a lot so far, but the combat system seems to be based on momentum and sometimes if you get caught in stuns / otherwise gently caress up and lose all your souls, the battle just grinds to a halt. Win or lose you are going to be impotently poking at the enemy until you can get them back. You can swap your character... but that also requires a meter that you can't seem to charge when your souls are low.

This is probably made a lot worse for me because I have trouble with the perfect guards in this game. (Which seem intended to be the main way to quickly regain souls?) The timing just feels off to me and some of the bosses' tells are so short that I can't move into guard in time should I be doing literally anything else. Dodges seem a bit crap compared to what I am used to, but I'll admit that may be from playing too many Platinum games. I get hit a lot trying to dodge at the last second.

Don't dodge, don't block. Just play as Velvet and spam the claw to victory.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've had problems with Dynamic Difficulty before, but only when it gets in the way - I liked the first character in 99 Night's story, but because I played too well early on the second character's story became impossible and refused to lower the difficulty back down again.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Don't dodge, don't block. Just play as Velvet and spam the claw to victory.

I am playing as Eleanor and nothing can stop me. That spear launch is endlessly entertaining for some reason. Every game needs a button to just launch enemies into the sky.

(But yeah, blocking or dodging does seem at best a waste of time. Half the time I do block my guard just gets broken anyway.)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Jukebox Hero posted:

Holy poo poo, dark souls chat, pc vs console discussion, and a dude complaining about not knowing how to play a game he didn't play the tutorial or read the manual for and being real obstinate about it, somebody wake up Jesus because Christmas came early.

She

I was all too happy to just say that the game isn't for me but you're all being such assholes about it that I'm just going to double down and say mhw loving sucks and if you like it you're broken in the brain

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Max Payne 1 has dynamic difficulty but if you were bad enough at the game to die a lot it convinced itself you were really good at it for some convoluted reason and made itself as hard as possible, which is hilarious

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

She

I was all too happy to just say that the game isn't for me but you're all being such assholes about it that I'm just going to double down and say mhw loving sucks and if you like it you're broken in the brain

Ultimately you're right. Also goons have no chill

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

MrAptronym posted:

If you have Eleanor (good taste) you have six characters, so the best way to get around getting stunned/paralyzed/whatever is to learn to play more than one character and keep your other(s) as a backup. You can swap out at any time if you have any BG.

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I’m not sure if MHW is my cup of tea either as my first foray in the series, but one huge complaint: No scaling options for the UI or the in game text (unless I’m more blind than I already thought) and it is too small for me to comfortably read from where my couch is.

Am I aging out of video games?! :negative:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

VanguardFelix posted:

I’m not sure if MHW is my cup of tea either as my first foray in the series, but one huge complaint: No scaling options for the UI or the in game text (unless I’m more blind than I already thought) and it is too small for me to comfortably read from where my couch is.

No, that poo poo is tiny.

I'm annoyed that I can't decide which is more fun, big rear end sword or bug spear, and have to keep changing them up.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

VanguardFelix posted:

No you're too rich for your own good because who has that kind of room?

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vic posted:

No you're too rich for your own good because who has that kind of room?

Or...an older TV? So I guess my problem is I’m not too rich enough (the electric boogaloo)?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

you're broken in the brain

Probably. I spent my weekend murdering Pink Rathians well past the point of it being fun so I could get Monster Hardbones to upgrade my poo poo and I didn't get enough. I just want her bones so I can make leg armor to match the rest of my set, which coincidentally is made out of other parts of the Pink Rathian.

For things dragging MHW down I rolled a lady character and the female armors suck. There's was a point where the best armor I could craft was a bikini. And a lot of the waist bits are skirts that have no problem giving my panty shots. I should have just rolled a dude so my armor could be big and bulky and :black101:

World Famous W posted:

No, that poo poo is tiny.

I'm annoyed that I can't decide which is more fun, big rear end sword or bug spear, and have to keep changing them up.

Always bug spear. Your bug can sever tails or concuss monsters based on the sever or blunt damage type. Then you get into bug dust which can do status effects or drop green health mists around. It's so nice to tag the monster and then just get health while I continue to hit it in the legs.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Max Payne 1 has dynamic difficulty but if you were bad enough at the game to die a lot it convinced itself you were really good at it for some convoluted reason and made itself as hard as possible, which is hilarious

I think the issue is that the game doesn't recognize your deaths if you use quick loads so it thinks that you were able to beat every stage without problems.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Caphi posted:

If you have Eleanor (good taste) you have six characters, so the best way to get around getting stunned/paralyzed/whatever is to learn to play more than one character and keep your other(s) as a backup. You can swap out at any time if you have any BG.

Yeah, I keep Eizen in reserve and velvet on the field to swap to in emergencies. I've just had a couple battles where I blew my BG on an attack (or did so last battle), then got stunned twice and basically needed to abandon Eleanor to the AI because she was useless now. Sometimes it seems like the whole team has run low on souls and no one can pull a decent combo. It's not a frequent thing or anything, but it feels weird to end up in a state where you aren't actively in danger, but your team's offenses have been broken. It's just been irritating in the times when it's become an issue, and I am otherwise loving this game.

If I can kill my reflexes to try and block/dodge caster AoEs and just interrupt them constantly, I think things will improve. The PBAoEs where I am now seem to always break guard, and if the enemies are spread out I can't just leave their area.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
It's weird to see people take any sort of stance against the dynamic difficulty in RE4, given that no one knew it existed until the developers wrote about it 6 or 7 years after the game was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Olaf The Stout posted:

It's weird to see people take any sort of stance against the dynamic difficulty in RE4, given that no one knew it existed until the developers wrote about it 6 or 7 years after the game was released.

I remember reading about it like, months after the game's release on the Gamecube