Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Automatic Slim posted:

There's was a rumor floating around that the new Star Trek series would be an anthology like American Crime/Horror Story. Seems unlikely now but this reboot could use a reboot.

Honestly if anything I'd love to see a Star Wars series in that format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revolther
May 27, 2008
Everything about Burnham just seems written to be awful schizoprhenic plot device. She's not vulcan, she's not human, she's not logical, she's not passionate, she doesn't care about anyone or anything, except for apparently being temporarily right in whatever moment. We want to go from one set piece to another, just have burnham decide that's the only thing she cares about now and have her do it in the most dangerous way possible.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Smythe posted:

idk why they made this super cool high tech looking and high tech in universe tech ship with all this cool new poo poo and it spins around and poo poo and does all this fancy crap and set it in the drat past. how come? wtf? woulda made more sense for it to be.. in the .. future.

Soon, we will all be living in the future

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The best part of that is Neelix looking to his subconscious for an answer and getting outright told "kill yourself, pussy".

I adore these reinterpretations of Voyager episodes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Can someone give a plot synopsis? Don't want to read through the live watch

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Can someone give a plot synopsis? Don't want to read through the live watch

I'll try to do it from memory best I can.

The crew go to the Klingon homeworld and have some plan to take out some major military targets. However, Mirror Georgiou's plan (and this has Starfleet approval) is to blow up some sort of explosive deep in the planets core, thus triggering a bajillion volcanoes and poo poo, loving up the planet royally. Burnham stops her and comes up with a solution. She gives the detonator for the bomb to Klingon lady. Klingon lady meets with the Klingon houses and gives them an ultimatum: End the war, unite, make me leader, or I nuke the planet. Also Mirror Georgiou is given her freedom and she disappears so I assume we'll see her later.

Discovery goes back to Earth and everyone gets awards. Burnham gets her commission and rank restored. The Discovery makes way to Vulcan with Sarek to get their new captain. They pick up a distress signal from the Enterprise (Captain Pike commanding) and we get to see the ship.

I thought it wasn't that bad. I'm wondering if we'll actually get to see Pike and Spock in the S2 premiere or if that was just a fan service moment.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I said it elsewhere, that should be Captain Robert April

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
That finale was unbelievably trashy. Obviously there are a lot of issues with the dialogue and the plot, and thematically the whole series is pretty much cribbed from the new movies, but Disco's real offence is that the tone is all wrong. Hilarious ideas are being played completely straight. It's bizarre.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I said it elsewhere, that should be Captain Robert April

I think with the established timeline, it had to be Pike.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

revolther posted:

Everything about Burnham just seems written to be awful schizoprhenic plot device. She's not vulcan, she's not human, she's not logical, she's not passionate, she doesn't care about anyone or anything, except for apparently being temporarily right in whatever moment. We want to go from one set piece to another, just have burnham decide that's the only thing she cares about now and have her do it in the most dangerous way possible.
Til Wooden Burnham come to Dunsinane

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think with the established timeline, it had to be Pike.

I thought he came later. How long was the Enterprise tooling around?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I thought he came later. How long was the Enterprise tooling around?

This is from Memory Alpha:

2245: Enterprise makes maiden voyage with April in command.

Before 2254: Pike takes command of Enterprise (Discovery takes place in 2256)

Around 2265: Kirk takes command of Enterprise and goes on 5 year mission.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

drat that's an old rear end ship

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Gene Roddenberry envisioned the Enterprise as a ship with history. Star Trek III made reference to the ship's age and got it wrong. It was much older.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

drat that's an old rear end ship

Star Trek 3 takes place in the year 2285 so it would have been around 40 years old when decommissioned.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Yeah and the brass that Kirk talks to said it was only 25 years old. There were a few inconsistencies in that movie. New franchises aren't the only ones that screw up with canon. Sometimes the originals do it themselves.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You forgot the most significant part of the episode; ending credit theme was the original TOS ending theme. Also I chuckled with the "last time on Star Trek Discovery" voiceover was in Klingon with subs.

The klingon conclusion stuff felt incredibly week and dumb. You can add "Remember that one time the unstoppable Klingon armada warped to the edge of the Sol system and then spend several hours very slowly approaching earth, only to be stopped when the klingon racial purest called everyone back to Kronos (too lazy to look up the dumb spelling) at the last second or she'd blow up the planet?" to the list of really awkward things i guess no one chooses to bring up again for the next 300 years.

On the plus side, if the lame rear end conclusion to the klingon war means no more klingons for awhile then it's worth it for that.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Automatic Slim posted:

There was a rumor floating around that the new Star Trek series would be an anthology like American Crime/Horror Story. Seems unlikely now but this reboot could use a reboot.

I'm still waiting for the 24th century family sitcom. The family can joke about how bad the mom is at programming the replicator, the kids can get stuck in a turbolift on their way to school, and the dad always beams into the living room exhausted after a tough day at the office. And yes, there will be a laugh track.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You're all crazy. Binge the Disco and tell me again that Burnham was emotionless throughout.

As for the exterior ship lighting comments on the Ent showing-up, it's lit by natural light sources and not somehow brightly lit from all sides and angles like the previous effects work done. Looks sweet as hell, imho.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So the war is over? Or will they do an Apocalypse Rising style ceasefire that gets broken when a bunch of klingons decide to attack a medical colony like in Nor the Battle to the Strong?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

SpeakSlow posted:

You're all crazy. Binge the Disco and tell me again that Burnham was emotionless throughout.

All her emotions were delivered in the same narrow band range of emoting. Her vocal tone going through the series was a single narrow corridor with tense on the left and grit-teeth angry on the right most limit. That's not the fault of the actress but the fault of the lovely show's idea that she be a vulcan-raised vulca-boo ala worf because they apparently couldn't think of a way to get the show off the ground without lots of Vulcan Mind Magic.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Tricky D posted:

I'm still waiting for the 24th century family sitcom. The family can joke about how bad the mom is at programming the replicator, the kids can get stuck in a turbolift on their way to school, and the dad always beams into the living room exhausted after a tough day at the office. And yes, there will be a laugh track.

I think you're looking for The Jetsons

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

simplefish posted:

Query: If CBS Television Studios had merely re-ran the original run of the Jetsons instead of STD, would that have been an improvement to the franchise?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

simplefish posted:

Lol.. true.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

shadow puppet of a posted:

All her emotions were delivered in the same narrow band range of emoting. Her vocal tone going through the series was a single narrow corridor with tense on the left and grit-teeth angry on the right most limit. That's not the fault of the actress but the fault of the lovely show's idea that she be a vulcan-raised vulca-boo ala worf because they apparently couldn't think of a way to get the show off the ground without lots of Vulcan Mind Magic.

Excuse me. Worf wasn't even a Klingaboo. Dax is the ultimate Klingaboo.

Burnham is a bad Vulcaboo even, she doesn't even have the haircut or fake ears.

I watched the Finale just now.

The Nostalgia Grab was really stupid.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Excuse me. Worf wasn't even a Klingaboo. Dax is the ultimate Klingaboo.

Burnham is a bad Vulcaboo even, she doesn't even have the haircut or fake ears.

I watched the Finale just now.

The Nostalgia Grab was really stupid.

Jazdia is an interesting klingaboo because of Kurzon's relationship with Kor and such. Ezri is like "I get why Kurzon and Jazdia liked Klingons but your culture is kinda bullshit fam"

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I enjoyed Ezri talking poo poo about the Klingon Empire and doing such a good job of it that it convinces Worf that the Empire is corrupt garbage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ezri discussing the failings of the Klingon Empire would have been way more prescient if Discovery took place post-ds9. Instead she's just spouting a history lesson thanks to Discovery's place in the timeline.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

if i am reading right, according to discovery, the klingons conquer like most of the federation?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought they said "occupy 20% of federation space" or something

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i only read the plot synopses and the one i read implied everything was conquered or wiped out except earth and some starbase

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

if i am reading right, according to discovery, the klingons conquer like most of the federation?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I thought they said "occupy 20% of federation space" or something

It's kind of both. One episode ends with a pretty apocalyptic war map and a character saying they can't hail Starfleet HQ, and then the very next episode an Admiral comes aboard and says they've only conquered 20% of federation space.

But then again, the season finale has a bunch of bird of preys just chilling near Earth's moon waiting to strike, so who the gently caress knows.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Yes.

No one ever mentions this ever again in any of the star trek shows.

"Hey, remember that time half the Federation was conquered by kingons?"

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i'd be embarrassed too if my space federation was conquered by two dicked space monsters from beyond the moon

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I love how any old battle with lovely models was more expansive and portrayed actual war more than the CGI-fest ST:D was.

They copped out of ALL Big Space Battles. The Conclusion to this season lacked one. The Binary Stars Battle was lackluster.

The budget must be tiny and all spend on the Kelpian Makeup.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tilly is adorable. Somebody tells her that her hair is hideous and she's not even insulted.

For a minute I totally thought that Orion dude was going to enslave her, glad he was just trying to steal he poo poo. Wouldn't want the show to get too dark.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

The budget must be tiny and all spend on the Kelpian Makeup.

Saru is worth it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

wait until you see saru piss

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

saru pissing is like the massage setting on a shower head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

you're not being creative enough -- it comes out as a fine mist.