Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

U Mad???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
The problem with calling it an allied list instead of an imperial soup list is that the former doesn't convey contempt. Many of the people who talk about imperial soup want to make it clear every time they reference it that they hate it, and a neutral word like allied just isn't suited to purpose.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

DiHK posted:

DANGER CLOSE!
The thing I miss the most from earlier editions is going danger close with large blasts.
A Leman Russ shooting itself in the rear end will never not be hilarious to me.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It's nothing to do with being serious about the game or strategy, i dislike the method of their creation, and utterly despise the opacity and insularity their use creates. Running into a wall of unexplained buzzwords and unnecessary abbreviations when you're trying to read about any subject is loving miserable, and it's something that absolutely plagues online ham chat.

Consider buying some actual bubblewrap; popping the bubbles is a good way to chill out, which might help you. Bublewrap is a perfect word for what it does. lmao military jargon.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
We use soup to differentiate a detachment that does not get obsec/stragems/other bonuses and not as an allied mixed force of separate detachment or whatever.

But yeah cry more colloquial terms in the community. That way leads to good discussion.

I played with the new jetbike dudes This weekend. They are pretty sick. Also the sang guard brick is pretty good. I don't know if the banner for a 5++ is all that good even with 60 dudesmen but it was fun to try out.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Call me old fashioned, but I remember a time when to play two allied armies fighting an epic battle you had to be pleasant enough have a friend to team up with you.

Three detachments of different sub factions of the same larger army in the same list is trash for bad people, hth. A really cool idea for Narrative games for sure, but awful in Competitive.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

I have a massive, glistening, rage boner right now.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

I have a massive, glistening, rage boner right now.

Try the bubblewrap.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

It's nothing to do with being serious about the game or strategy, i dislike the method of their creation, and utterly despise the opacity and insularity their use creates. Running into a wall of unexplained buzzwords and unnecessary abbreviations when you're trying to read about any subject is loving miserable, and it's something that absolutely plagues online ham chat.

that's a good point, but it's not like it is difficult for new players to get info on tactics, strategies, or general game info. and to point, words like bubblewrap and soup aren't exactly counter-intuitive in their meaning.

i'm with you on abbreviations and acronyms, though. that poo poo always gets me confused.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Mango Polo posted:

Try the bubblewrap.

I did but there wasn't enough bubblewrap to fill it.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I personally recite a 9-line each time I shoot my CAS Hemlock or Crimson Hunter.

But seriously, the most annoying element to me is faux or real military terms being appropriated inappropriately by smug lords.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Even worse is the grognard Tau players having a loving codename for every drat loadout.

Fireknife vs Deathstorm vs Hotscrote vs ...

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

People that take critiques of a game they like as personal attacks are weird

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So...

I want to convert a Skyrunner Autarch using an old Howling Banshee head, some Dire Avenger bits, a Farseer Skyrunner bike, and some Windriders bits.

In order to make it actually look like an HQ I'll need to green stuff some robes and maybe a few gems... I've never done that.

Anyone have any tips?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Naramyth posted:

I played with the new jetbike dudes This weekend. They are pretty sick. Also the sang guard brick is pretty good. I don't know if the banner for a 5++ is all that good even with 60 dudesmen but it was fun to try out.

Yeah, I can't really see any real use for the 5++ banner. Most guys you'd want to have a 5++ already have a 2+ or 3+ save, which is equal to or better than a 5++ except against AP3/4/5. Unless you're playing against Harlies, you're not going to get that many melta shots on you Sanguinary Guard.

Even for Guardsmen and Conscripts, the banner only protects you against AP2 stuff when you're in cover, and who shoots AP2 at Guardsmen?

Glad to see you have success with Sanguinary Guard when you drop them in five by five.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

dexefiend posted:

Even worse is the grognard Tau players having a loving codename for every drat loadout.

Fireknife vs Deathstorm vs Hotscrote vs ...

As a Dark Angels player please allow me to explain Wangwing to you. It involves popping yourself out in the gaming store.

Play like you have a pair indeed.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Community buzzwords ultimately say "I belong in this community" more than it says anything about whatever your talking about. Military enthusiasts are huge on this, but it's common to everything else people like to nerd out over.

I mean, it's still preferable to quoting Emperor text to speech or Rick and Morty, but it's tedious when there's an alternate commonplace term.

When someone corrects "clip" with a smug "magazine" or drops MMO speak in a regular conversation, what they're really saying is that they care a lot about that thing.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

moths posted:

When someone corrects "clip" with a smug "magazine"
The best thing to do in this situation is to start saying "clipazine".

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Orwell - Politics and the English Language

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Are we really talking and moaning about jargon and language here? 8th has spoiled you all. Once upon a time we had to remember multiple stat vs stat grids. The difference between a super heavy flyer and a flyer. Charging into close combat against Eldar was mostly pointless. Entire armies could be gimped if you rolled the poo poo psychic powers or warlord traits. Pre-deployment rolling for Thousand Sons could take ages. Weapons that worked against vehicles wouldn’t against monstrous creatures or vice versa. Certain armies had zero access to the best ranged weapon type in the game. AP was binary. My cultists couldn’t hurt certain things at all. Deep strike rules. The entire Ork Codex. Free upgrades if you were Ad Mech or Space Marines.

And here you are, whining about a convenient method of referring to a particular army build style.

You don’t deserve 8th.

On another note, has anyone had chance to field a Mutalith Vortex Beast yet? I’m somewhat tempted to proxy a Maulerfiend as one. I can’t face adding another big kit to the backlog, especially pre FAQ. Suspect it will be nerfed fairly hard in one way or another.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Groetgaffel posted:

The actual best thing is actually to look at them like they're a moron and then keep saying clip.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Groetgaffel posted:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Luv2be chill and casual and also weirdly aggressive about people who don't play by my own artificial rules
Look at what I said:

Safety Factor posted:

I am glad I have only ever played with and against mono-faction armies. It cuts down on a lot of bullshit. Even the people in here writing lists with OPTIMAL chapter tactics for specific units is a step too far for me. I am well aware that such forces could exist and are justified by the fluff, but not for me. I think a mixed force loses narrative cohesion.
This is a personal opinion, not a judgement call. I am talking about how I like to play; I was specifically using "I think" and "for me" to try and avoid confusion. I'm not trying to dictate anything to any other poster in here and it certainly wasn't a personal attack on anyone who plays with mixed armies. I had no idea this thread would react so negatively.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
So it sure has been two weeks since they announced new 40k stuff, huh

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Warhammer 40,000: Casual Bubblewrap Soup Chat

Maybe everyone should just play the game however they find fun and stop bitching about how others have fun. You love the game, be happy that it's attracting a variety of play styles and not everyone has fun the same way so chill the gently caress out like goddamn y'all.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Safety Factor posted:

Look at what I said:

This is a personal opinion, not a judgement call. I am talking about how I like to play; I was specifically using "I think" and "for me" to try and avoid confusion. I'm not trying to dictate anything to any other poster in here and it certainly wasn't a personal attack on anyone who plays with mixed armies. I had no idea this thread would react so negatively.

Ok I'm really confused. My post that you originally quoted was in response to DancingShade, whose post it directly follows. You seem to think it was in response to you and I don't really know why, it's like 14 hours and half a page later.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Milotic posted:

Are we really talking and moaning about jargon and language here? 8th has spoiled you all. Once upon a time we had to remember multiple stat vs stat grids. The difference between a super heavy flyer and a flyer. Charging into close combat against Eldar was mostly pointless. Entire armies could be gimped if you rolled the poo poo psychic powers or warlord traits. Pre-deployment rolling for Thousand Sons could take ages. Weapons that worked against vehicles wouldn’t against monstrous creatures or vice versa. Certain armies had zero access to the best ranged weapon type in the game. AP was binary. My cultists couldn’t hurt certain things at all. Deep strike rules. The entire Ork Codex. Free upgrades if you were Ad Mech or Space Marines.

And here you are, whining about a convenient method of referring to a particular army build style.

You don’t deserve 8th.

For sure, 8thed making warhammer playable has cut down on stuff people can gripe about :v:

I wonder if we're going to see new Tau stuff, since they've already hinted at the Imperium going back to war with them.

Not entirely sure how it would be justified with Gulliman being fine with an Eldar alliance, since Tau are way less aggressive towards humans than them. High lords of terra politicks?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
"Casual" is the best way to play. I don't mean you should run sub-par lists or take it easy on your opponent or have weird arbitrary comp rules, just that you should be casual in the sense that you don't give a poo poo about the outcome. It loving rules and it makes the game way more fun.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

"Casual" is the best way to play. I don't mean you should run sub-par lists or take it easy on your opponent or have weird arbitrary comp rules, just that you should be casual in the sense that you don't give a poo poo about the outcome. It loving rules and it makes the game way more fun.

This guy gets it

and by "gets it" I mean "gets completely rekt in every game he plays like a loser bitch"

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

This guy gets it

and by "gets it" I mean "gets completely rekt in every game he plays like a loser bitch"

True, but see, this is the genius of it: I don't even care. 40k is just a cool reason to paint mans and talk poo poo at dweebs, and I couldn't even tell you my W-L record because it doesn't matter. Like I know it's 0-?, because the 0 wins is mad obvious, but if it were any other number? Whatever, I played a quantity of games, and that's all I need to know.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

ANAmal.net posted:

True, but see, this is the genius of it: I don't even care. 40k is just a cool reason to paint mans and talk poo poo at dweebs, and I couldn't even tell you my W-L record because it doesn't matter. Like I know it's 0-?, because the 0 wins is mad obvious, but if it were any other number? Whatever, I played a quantity of games, and that's all I need to know.

Didn't you literally post ITT about how you got so mad playing you thought you should quit altogether

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Corrode posted:

Didn't you literally post ITT about how you got so mad playing you thought you should quit altogether

hey maybe shut the gently caress up and stop being an rear end in a top hat

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Corrode posted:

That doesn't sound like something I would do.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
6/7th Ed was a poo poo show. 8th is great. Soup is fine.

Bubble wrap is both good for transporting miniatures and protecting them.

People are terrible and will suck the fun out of everything. I like playing toy solders and painting them.

So what, me worry?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Call me old fashioned, but I remember a time when to play two allied armies fighting an epic battle you had to be pleasant enough have a friend to team up with you.

Three detachments of different sub factions of the same larger army in the same list is trash for bad people, hth. A really cool idea for Narrative games for sure, but awful in Competitive.

Call me older fashioned, but...

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Ok I'm really confused. My post that you originally quoted was in response to DancingShade, whose post it directly follows. You seem to think it was in response to you and I don't really know why, it's like 14 hours and half a page later.
Because the post at the top of the page (two above yours) was quoting mine so it was clearly still relevant to the discussion. Then I saw the whole "casuals!" thing and I figured I'd poke a bit. Now here we are.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
"Soup" is fine. "Bubble wrap" is fine. All the other silly little names people come up with to describe various configurations or whatever are fine. It's no different than joking about "small, jewel like objects of magic and wonder" or Matt Ward's obsession with murdering Sisters of Battle. Cultures come with their own set of terms and ways of defining themselves as a way to establish identity; this dead gay comedy forum is no different.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 12, 2018

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Naramyth posted:

Just the ones that are unlocked in other detachments. So all of them.

Nope. Ynnari is explicitly excluded from the stuff in the craftworlds codex and the drukhari and harlequin entries in chapter approved.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Boon posted:

I personally recite a 9-line each time I shoot my CAS Hemlock or Crimson Hunter.

But seriously, the most annoying element to me is faux or real military terms being appropriated inappropriately by smug lords.

This actually made me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Safety Factor posted:

Because the post at the top of the page (two above yours) was quoting mine so it was clearly still relevant to the discussion. Then I saw the whole "casuals!" thing and I figured I'd poke a bit. Now here we are.

Oh I missed that. I'm not really bothered if people want to play in their own little bubbles and impose whatever rules they want, there's tons of dudes doing that and it's nothing to do with me. I'm specifically addressing people who self describe as "casual" but are anything but, since they're heavily invested in the game and just as obsessive about competitive play as anyone else, just in a funhouse mirror way where they're weirdly angry about how other people play the game. It's the guy with 10,000 Dakka posts raging about whatever the hot build of the day is for years on end, not the guys who play at my local who've been friends since they were 8 and only play each other and have no interest at all in "the meta" or whatever else.