Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Sadly I lost the first round. The guy had been training for around a year and ive been doing it for less than 3 months. Match was fun though, and it was way closer than it had any right to be given our skill disparity. On the bright side I stopped his first 7 or 8 takedown attempts!

However he managed to get out of my half guard after we were down and I was too focused on defending my neck and got americana'd as soon as he got to side control basically.

Edit: Not to mention the kid was easily 8 or 9 years younger than I am. He was still in college.

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

Sadly I lost the first round. The guy had been training for around a year and ive been doing it for less than 3 months. Match was fun though, and it was way closer than it had any right to be given our skill disparity. On the bright side I stopped his first 7 or 8 takedown attempts!

However he managed to get out of my half guard after we were down and I was too focused on defending my neck and got americana'd as soon as he got to side control basically.

Edit: Not to mention the kid was easily 8 or 9 years younger than I am. He was still in college.

How tired were you the instant that you started grappling? Because now that you've done it (and lived, even), every tournament is going to get that much easier, and go that much better for you.

Dude, stopping a guy who went for 8 takedown attempts means that you did really, really well for your first time out. Excellent work!

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

How tired were you the instant that you started grappling? Because now that you've done it (and lived, even), every tournament is going to get that much easier, and go that much better for you.

Dude, stopping a guy who went for 8 takedown attempts means that you did really, really well for your first time out. Excellent work!

I honestly felt fine until about 5 minutes after, at which point all my muscles seemed to be a quivering mass of jelly. Also it helps that at my gym we have a guy who did 5 years of division 1 wrestling who is very very good at takedowns who I have learned a lot about not getting taken down from. Not to mention he's raised the quality of non-judo takedowns significantly in everyone at the gym according to people who've been there longer.

I'm definitely gonna go to the next one I can. Theres another IBJJF one in Austin in July supposedly, and a few smaller ones in between too I can hopefully go to budget permitting.

My biggest things to work on before next time is to work on more techniques from half-guard because I end up there a lot when I dont intend to be and only knowing 1 sweep from there thats easily defended against clearly isnt enough. And I need to work on getting out of side control more consistently.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

I honestly felt fine until about 5 minutes after, at which point all my muscles seemed to be a quivering mass of jelly. Also it helps that at my gym we have a guy who did 5 years of division 1 wrestling who is very very good at takedowns who I have learned a lot about not getting taken down from. Not to mention he's raised the quality of non-judo takedowns significantly in everyone at the gym according to people who've been there longer.

I'm definitely gonna go to the next one I can. Theres another IBJJF one in Austin in July supposedly, and a few smaller ones in between too I can hopefully go to budget permitting.

My biggest things to work on before next time is to work on more techniques from half-guard because I end up there a lot when I dont intend to be and only knowing 1 sweep from there thats easily defended against clearly isnt enough. And I need to work on getting out of side control more consistently.

Awesome. Tournaments definitely show you what you need to work on.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

omg chael crash posted:

Travis is one of my coaches and I'm SUPER excited for this.

What'd you think of the match? I thought it was pretty closely contested and the estima lock Travis had probably won him the match. He did an excellent job defending Marvin's RG and forcing him to reset with every slam. I had a blast watching and got a huge kick out of the fact Travis tried to imanari Marvin.

Can't wait for next Saturday, Polaris in the morning and EBI 15 at night!

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Bro from BJJ Subreddit posted:

Rant: new (first open mat after his first fundamentals class) 130kg ex judoka spazzed the hell out and got me in kesa gatame head in his armpit. While escaping he suddenly crunched my head backwards with all his force+weight and my neck popped and crunched so bad I thought Ill be paralized. Luckily Im still walking but loving hell that was dangerous.

If you are new: plz be careful how you roll and if you are big and strong be extremely cautious. Its not a loving life and death match. Thnx.

My girlfriend and I can't figure out what kind of escape he was doing to have his head pop and crunched. We even tried a few ecsapes and have no idea how he would have has his head crunched. I'm the same weight as the Judoka and it still puzzles me.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

My girlfriend and I can't figure out what kind of escape he was doing to have his head pop and crunched. We even tried a few ecsapes and have no idea how he would have has his head crunched. I'm the same weight as the Judoka and it still puzzles me.

Maybe the escapee was trying to bridge off of his head, giving the judo space to crunch his neck?

Also, while I was trying out one of Craig Jones' sweeps from open guard (off of the half x), and was having a bit of difficulty with bumping the opponent on to their hands. I apparently "watch too much youtube."

Why can't you just support my alternative leglock lifestyle, coach! :cry:

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 13, 2018

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Is this the reverse x sweep to saddle he showed on Bernado Faria's channel? If so I can help trouble shoot that.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

JaySB posted:

Is this the reverse x sweep to saddle he showed on Bernado Faria's channel? If so I can help trouble shoot that.

I'm pretty sure that's the same technique, (although on his dvd he initially shows if from standing, and that's what we were practicing), and upon re-watching it, we were missing the elevation that you need to get the opponent to commit to their hands. It's not so much of a bump forward as it is a bump + and elevation to really stumble them forward.

Does that make sense?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The idea when you elevate is that they have to put a hand down somewhere near your shoulders or head to make the leg grab easy. Don’t let them post too far away from you. Source: seminar

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

As someone who has trained at Ralph's, 10th Planet SF, and now Bay Jiu-Jitsu, I can't wait for the impending jiu-jitsu related riot.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
At least Elia's been able to get out relatively clean and get his word across. It's must've been hard to go through it but most people seem to have his back.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

As someone who has trained at Ralph's, 10th Planet SF, and now Bay Jiu-Jitsu, I can't wait for the impending jiu-jitsu related riot.

What's going on?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Elia helped Travis prepare for his match at Fight to Win and Denny got weird about it(because Denny is loving weird) so they(Denny and Eddie) "took" his black belt back.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

omg chael crash posted:

Elia helped Travis prepare for his match at Fight to Win and Denny got weird about it(because Denny is loving weird) so they(Denny and Eddie) "took" his black belt back.

That's dumb.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Leaders of Drug-Worshipping Stoner Cult Accused of Behaving Erratically

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

omg chael crash posted:

This? https://jiujitsutimes.com/elia-yuriditsky-tells-story-black-belt-revoked-eddie-bravo-denny-prokopos/

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Makes me kind of happy that the only two schools in my city get along great and we have people that train at both.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 15, 2018

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Aye

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

omg chael crash posted:

jiu-jitsu related riot.

Just a tangled mess of dudes wearing spandex in 50/50 and inverting at each other

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Neon Belly posted:

Makes me kind of happy that the only two schools in my city get along great and we have people that train at both.

There was a coach from another school that ranted and raved at my professor about how 'I travel the world learning techniques and developing competition plans for my students'. One guy trained away at his gym at college and the gym I'm at when he came home for breaks. He competed under our school name and the other coach was livid. My professor didn't give a poo poo and nodded the whole time while the other coach was flipping out turning red.

Year are so later one of our brown belts beat him for first in no gi and my school had a good laugh.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I quit a school a few years back because the instructor would scream at a student for tapping to a guest white belt (the guy that got tapped was a fresh blue belt) and was massively into conspiracy theories and would talk about them and rant during class. (No, he isn't Tenth Planet affiliated)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The only reasons that anyone has had a dramatic split from my school is 1) being dangerous in rolls, even with new people, even when told to stop 2) decides that being friends with danger roll guy is important and leaves with him, and 3) being creepy to female members.

:unsmith:

I think those are all good reasons. A good hugfight club, even if we're small potatoes.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Cant remember if I asked this or not, but next month I'm gonna be in the Olympia Washington area and was wondering if anyone was up there or had recommendations for jits.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Dave Grool posted:

Just a tangled mess of dudes wearing spandex in 50/50 and inverting at each other

New thread title.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gonna cross post some info here in case anyone cares.

UFC Fight Pass is doing its Black Belt Week from the 12th to the 18th and have put up a collection of some older more MMA fighter focused submission stuff.

https://www.ufc.tv/category/black-belt-week---feb-12th---18th

Things range from a documentary on UFC 1 by some Brazilian company, some old ADCC stuff from the late 90s to early 2000s, EBI & Polaris matches, and Minotauro Noguiera's show "Black Belt" (where he travels and learns different martial arts in different countries).

Like I said, maybe you guys are interested in this stuff, maybe not.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Wash your gi, guys! Professor sent a white belt home last night. I felt bad for the guy, but he was fuckin' ripe. Glad I didn't have to drill with him.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Can I also ask for people to wash their belt periodically too? They get grody as well.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Seriously, wash your drat belt

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
But that's where all my jiu-jitsu powers come from!

I wash mine for the record

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Digital Jedi posted:

But that's where all my jiu-jitsu powers come from!

I wash mine for the record

What happens when you roll no-gi? :iiam:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

starkebn posted:

What happens when you roll no-gi? :iiam:

You should only be rolling with Gi's on, or on the beach in a pair of European style swim wear. Happy to help.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
So I was wondering if anyone knew some pointers on a triangle escape I saw. It was used on me, I saw the same guy hit it on another blue belt, then I got owned when I tried doing it myself. Basically the guy was in a triangle but had his second arm still in but not all the way through granting him some protection/time. From his knees he intentionally at back onto his rear end then threaded his legs ontop of the guy triangling on bottom and created a cross with his legs on the guy on bottoms chest. He then used pushing pressure with the legs to break out of the triangle. I've included an incredibly lovely diagram below.

e-ingore the arm and lock being wrong, i drew that in about a minute.

I think I partially got owned because I didn't snake my legs through fast enough and was too concerned with that to focus on my one protecting arm.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 17, 2018

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Seltzer posted:

So I was wondering if anyone knew some pointers on a triangle escape I saw. It was used on me, I saw the same guy hit it on another blue belt, then I got owned when I tried doing it myself. Basically the guy was in a triangle but had his second arm still in but not all the way through granting him some protection/time. From his knees he intentionally at back onto his rear end then threaded his legs ontop of the guy triangling on bottom and created a cross with his legs on the guy on bottoms chest. He then used pushing pressure with the legs to break out of the triangle. I've included an incredibly lovely diagram below.

e-ingore the arm and lock being wrong, i drew that in about a minute.

I think I partially got owned because I didn't snake my legs through fast enough and was too concerned with that to focus on my one protecting arm.

Here you go :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjnZr_SVaWo

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Awesome, thanks! I definitely didn't bring a leg over during the stack. It looked slick as hell when the guy I was rolling with hit it. Gonna try it again now.

e- Was the diagram of any use? ha

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Seltzer posted:

e- Was the diagram of any use? ha

Yeah, it's easier to visualize. what you're talking about.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Really not a fan of AJ Agazarm and his Colby Covingtonesque persona

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Well he just got double legged off the mat

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

butros posted:

Well he just got double legged off the mat

I enjoyed that almost as much as when Vagner Rocha literally kicked him off the mat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Henderson takes it imo. AJs armbar attempt was the only real moment of ascension.